Sep 19, 2019 03:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asami and Hiroshi Sato  (Read 344276 times)
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3625 on: Jun 05, 2015 07:58 pm »

I am still miffed about them orphaning 3/4 of Team Avatar and not having any sort of resolution or talk about it. If they died in accidents, sure. But they were all murdered, all by firebenders as well for money. Two families on opposite extremes killed for roughly the same reason. I have a feeling if there is a comic it won't be nearly as dark as it would have been on the show.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3626 on: Jun 06, 2015 02:27 pm »

I still think there's a story behind A. Firebender.

Not necessarily a good story, but a story.

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3627 on: Jun 06, 2015 03:29 pm »

Still though this individual or individuals had more importance than the guy who killed Katara's mother. Sure Katara ended up finding the Avatar, but it can't really be connected to Kya's death. However when Team Avatar 2.0's parents were killed it had a profound impact on the world. It's just a shame that it was completely glossed over, they might as well have never even given them tragic endings to begin with, well except for Asami's mother since that did give Hiroshi an incentive to hate all benders.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3628 on: Jun 06, 2015 07:15 pm »

In the case of Mako and Bolin, it had the effect of having them grow up on the streets (which gets brought up pretty regularly, and at the very least explains why they don't have much of a social circle when Korra first meets them). But you could argue that they could have died in an accident and it wouldn't really change much. I'm guessing they specified that it happened that way to emphasise Republic City's bad side and so that Mako and Asami would have something to connect over. (And to some extent, to suggest that what happened to Asami's mother had nothing to do with her being a non-bender) Admittedly, it was distracting that both murders happened in such a similar way (a firebender trying to rob someone).

(Considering that they mentioned Mako and Bolin's life on the streets so much, I wish they'd brought it into Mako's relationship with Prince Wu. Wu could learn about life for poor people and it could partially drive his desire to improve the Earth Kingdom.)

In the case of Asami, as you mention her mother's murder drove Hiroshi to become an equalist. I kind of wish we'd heard a bit more about how it affected Asami herself, though we get a couple of bits and pieces.

I'm a little curious about when Hiroshi began to hate benders. His wife died when Asami was 6 (assuming the Wiki is correct). If he hated benders from that moment on, then you'd think that he'd have raised Asami to dislike them too (especially since she was still young enough then to still be fairly malleable). But she obviously has no issues with benders at all, and had no idea her father harboured those kinds of beliefs. It makes me wonder if he was only tipped over the edge when the equalists turned up, and their words connected with his anger over his wife's death.

Uzuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3629 on: Jun 06, 2015 07:58 pm »

I still think there's a story behind A. Firebender.

Not necessarily a good story, but a story.

Considering all the Fire Bender killers, and that the Raiders who attacked the Northern Water Tribe were also Fire Benders, there could be the story of a Lost Generation for the Fire Nation Bryke never got around to telling. You have had an entire society that spent one hundred years knowing nothing but fighting and winning a war that suddenly had to stop. Some of the probably didn't know how to, went into lives and crimes and raiding, and probably passed on a "survival of the fittest" and "to the victor goes the spoils" additude on to their children.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3630 on: Jun 06, 2015 08:45 pm »

. Like the season 1 flashbacks or old Zuko, Katara, and Toph. I think that says something for character development in Korra that i still wanted to watch more of the last series' characters than anything.

Personally, I actually found the inclusion of the LoK characters to be my least favorite parts of LoK. I'd have preferred it if they had all passed on before the start of the show. It was always initially cool to seee them again but that feeling quickly turned into "do we really need this for the story?"

To me, I like the character development in both shows equally - but I do prefer LOK's character development because it felt less morals-oriented than some of the development in ATLA did.

I wouldn't really say ATLA was all about moral's development. The only character I think that really had that was Zuko.

As for which show did character development better...

Well, I think ATLA generally did better when we look at all the characters. Every character changed and developed and had their own character arcs and everything and more then that, it was all done in a satisfactory way.

Meanwhile, LoK did great with Korra's development. I think Korra is one of the best developed characters in the franchise. So LoK had ATLA beat when it comes to best example of character development. However, I feel LoK falls short of ATLA when it comes to the development of other characters. Some characters, like Tenzin, had decent development. Others, namely Mako, Bolin, and Asami, felt static. Subplots were attempted for these characters but they were often poorly done or they didn't really amount to much.

Both shows did good with development in their own way but in the end, I think ATLA did better on a wider scale while LoK did better on a more narrow scale.

I didn't mind Katara and Zuko being alive because they did serve a purpose. Katara served as a link between both shows and both Avatars, while Zuko played a part in Korra's past with RL's kidnap attempt. Toph (yeah I know you love her. *sarcasm*) was the only one I didn't want to come back because a) Why no love for Sokka? and b)Her fate being ambiguous seemed more fitting.

For character development

Korra: Great.

Tenzin: Great.

Lin: Great.

Bolin: Good.

Mako: Big letdown. It's almost like the writers stopped caring about him the second they went Korrasami for some reason. He's just there in Book 4 now.

Asami: What character development?

Wouldn't have been interesting if Asami had Varrick's role in Books 2-4?
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3631 on: Jun 06, 2015 09:11 pm »

^ Asami manipulates herself to own her own company while kidnapping Raiko using men dressed as Northern soldiers to convince him to help the South in their rebellion?

As much as a mastermind as that would take to pull off, I don't think Asami would benefit from being given Varrick's role in Book 2 - 4. What purpose does it serve her character  stealing a shipment of mecha tanks, framing Mako, attempting a kidnapping, being thrown in jail, fleeing the city during Vaatu's attack, going to ground in Zaofu, joining Kuvira's army as a inventor in Book 4, and escaping once her life is threatened? The only reason that all worked for Varrick in the first place was because he was introduced as eccentric and different. Asami was introduced as ultimately being a nice and kind heiress who has a affinity for machines.

As others have pointed out there is character development for Asami with the current storyline, the problem is that she just wasn't put into situations that drew out her other flaws or qualities and they genuinely missed opportunities for her to be more proactive in the second half of Book 2 and to show some of her background while helping Korra escape the desert in Book 3.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3632 on: Jun 07, 2015 03:24 pm »

and that the Raiders who attacked the Northern Water Tribe were also Fire Benders

Were they? I don't remember that.

while Zuko played a part in Korra's past with RL's kidnap attempt.

What part was that, exactly? Because all I remember is Zuko being a useless bystander in every respect, both past and present, of the whole RL plot.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3633 on: Jun 07, 2015 04:04 pm »

What part was that, exactly? Because all I remember is Zuko being a useless bystander in every respect, both past and present, of the whole RL plot.
Apparently he was part of the rescue attempt. If only we had gotten the flashback so we can see how he really was.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #3634 on: Jun 07, 2015 04:06 pm »

and that the Raiders who attacked the Northern Water Tribe were also Fire Benders

Were they? I don't remember that.

Uzuko was thinking about Zhao's ship crew, as the raiders looked a lot like them. However, it was also said that most of the sailors in Zhao's fleet were barbarians from the Northern Earth Kingdom.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3635 on: Jun 07, 2015 04:58 pm »

Apparently he was part of the rescue attempt. If only we had gotten the flashback so we can see how he really was.

What Clowngoon said. According to Tenzin the Fire Lord, along with Tonraq, Sokka, and himself were part of the rescue team in the first kidnap attempt.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3636 on: Jun 08, 2015 05:56 pm »

Oh, okay, I just remembered Sokka being part of the rescue because I've seen fanart for it. I thought Zuko was just the guy who arranged for the RL's imprisonment.

So Zuko isn't quite a bystander, but still completely superfluous as far as storytelling purposes go.

Go home, Zuko. No one needs you.

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3637 on: Jun 08, 2015 07:22 pm »

Go home, Zuko. No one needs you.

Eventually he did.

But first he drank some liquor in the misty palms oasis.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #3638 on: Jun 08, 2015 08:05 pm »

And then Izumi was all, "Oh, dragon droppings, he's back. (pleasant smile, pleasant smile, pleasant smile) Daddy! Back so soon? How was your little trip?"

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: