Dec 14, 2017 01:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Things Noticed In Korra  (Read 596447 times)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5400 on: Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm »

I originally thought that the Probending-style was going to play to the theme of Republic City being out of balance, and LoK was going to be about Korra leading people back to a more spiritual way of life that melded modern technology with respect for the important stuff.

I swear, the first four episodes of LoK came from a different show. I think part of the reason why I hate Spirit of Competition so much isn't just for the love triangle that ruined the characters for me, but also because it came with what I saw as such a shift in focus. It was the first episode that didn't somehow play to the idea that there was something fundamentally wrong with every aspect of life in Republic City.

For real.  The spirits reclaimed part of the city.  The swamp vs. Kuvira's army.  Korra leaving the Spirit Portals open.  And at the end, RC was destroyed for a new Spirit Portal.  

There is a hidden subplot that the modern society is a bad thing (one I agree with Wink).  It just never gets much focus.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5401 on: Feb 25, 2016 12:14 pm »

I originally thought that the Probending-style was going to play to the theme of Republic City being out of balance, and LoK was going to be about Korra leading people back to a more spiritual way of life that melded modern technology with respect for the important stuff.

I swear, the first four episodes of LoK came from a different show. I think part of the reason why I hate Spirit of Competition so much isn't just for the love triangle that ruined the characters for me, but also because it came with what I saw as such a shift in focus. It was the first episode that didn't somehow play to the idea that there was something fundamentally wrong with every aspect of life in Republic City.
The second episode didn't really have something fundamentally wrong with Republic City/URN. It introduced probending which is just the dodgeball version of Earth Rumble which is still going on in the EK. Tenzin didn't like it but then he's been wrong and had to learn to accept things.
Besides those problems never get resolved anyway.
Korra sees crime, the poor, and people complaining about bending. Aside from the last one which just disappears, neither of the other two change and are in fact a staple in other places. Nor does she do anything about any of it since Amon is the one who outs himself.

Unless you are talking about other things? Orphans living in the streets (Mako and Bolin) when they could have just went to Air Temple Island and live in a community environment like they end up doing anyway.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5402 on: Feb 25, 2016 07:22 pm »

For real.  The spirits reclaimed part of the city.  The swamp vs. Kuvira's army.  Korra leaving the Spirit Portals open.  And at the end, RC was destroyed for a new Spirit Portal. 

There is a hidden subplot that the modern society is a bad thing (one I agree with Wink).  It just never gets much focus.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that RC was destroyed at the end. It wasn't enough to satisfy my initial expectations, but I wasn't really expecting it to be addressed at all by that time, so having a functional ending for the subplot was a really nice bonus.

The second episode didn't really have something fundamentally wrong with Republic City/URN. It introduced probending which is just the dodgeball version of Earth Rumble which is still going on in the EK. Tenzin didn't like it but then he's been wrong and had to learn to accept things.

Well, it had Korra using Probending as a path to an Old Way (Airbending) that actually made her a superior Probender to Mako and Bolin. So Probending wasn't bad, but adding some of the true appreciation for past arts made it better and more balanced. That's exactly the kind of fusion that I expected the story to eventually produce for RC as a whole, rather than just tearing down everything "new" in favor of the "old."

It's like how Star Wars had Luke turn off his targeting computer to destroy the Death Star, but he was still in an X-Wing firing proton torpedo, not flying by flapping his arms and throwing rocks.

Besides those problems never get resolved anyway.
Korra sees crime, the poor, and people complaining about bending. Aside from the last one which just disappears, neither of the other two change and are in fact a staple in other places. Nor does she do anything about any of it since Amon is the one who outs himself.

Unless you are talking about other things? Orphans living in the streets (Mako and Bolin) when they could have just went to Air Temple Island and live in a community environment like they end up doing anyway.

Yeah, all of it- the criminals, the people treating obvious newcomer Korra in a cranky and unwelcoming manner, the orphans and the poor, Lin's attitude and/or overzealous cops, modern Bending styles, and the whole Equalist thing.

All of it was- more or less- kind of resolved by blowing up Republic City, leaving the ruins to the spirits, and promising to rebuild it a little to the left. They're in a position now to fix some of that stuff, the citizens were already more or less living in peace with the spirits, and the tone of the discussion was generally optimistic, so things bring a bit more balanced seems to be a reasonable conclusion.

Like I said, "reasonable" was better than I was expecting, so I go easy on this one.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5403 on: Feb 25, 2016 07:39 pm »

All of it was- more or less- kind of resolved by blowing up Republic City, leaving the ruins to the spirits, and promising to rebuild it a little to the left. They're in a position now to fix some of that stuff, the citizens were already more or less living in peace with the spirits, and the tone of the discussion was generally optimistic, so things bring a bit more balanced seems to be a reasonable conclusion.

Like I said, "reasonable" was better than I was expecting, so I go easy on this one.

Sometimes "Blowing it all up and starting over" is the answer.  Smiley

Korra deserves a statue in the new RC for her role in making this happen, but with her luck, when she gets back from vacation, Raiko will have taken the credit.  Cheesy

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #5404 on: Feb 25, 2016 09:51 pm »

Korra deserves a statue in the new RC for her role in making this happen, but with her luck, when she gets back from vacation, Raiko will have taken the credit.  Cheesy

To be fair to Raiko, if Korra is just gonna run off to leave everyone else to clean up the mess, he probably should take the credit.  Tongue

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5405 on: Feb 25, 2016 11:35 pm »

To be fair to Raiko, if Korra is just gonna run off to leave everyone else to clean up the mess, he probably should take the credit.  Tongue

Someone should take the credit, for sure.  I don't know if it should be Raiko, but hey, 90% of success is showing up, right?  Wink

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5406 on: Feb 25, 2016 11:41 pm »

Korra deserves a statue in the new RC for her role in making this happen, but with her luck, when she gets back from vacation, Raiko will have taken the credit.  Cheesy

To be fair to Raiko, if Korra is just gonna run off to leave everyone else to clean up the mess, he probably should take the credit.  Tongue

Someone should take the credit, for sure.  I don't know if it should be Raiko, but hey, 90% of success is showing up, right?  Wink

It was Varrick-Brand Dark Spirit lasers that destroyed RC in the first place, so naturally Varrick Industries will take any and all credit for the rebuilding of Republic City. Smiley

Sig by Guitarfreak.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5407 on: Feb 26, 2016 02:43 am »

Korra deserves a statue in the new RC for her role in making this happen, but with her luck, when she gets back from vacation, Raiko will have taken the credit.  Cheesy

To be fair to Raiko, if Korra is just gonna run off to leave everyone else to clean up the mess, he probably should take the credit.  Tongue

Someone should take the credit, for sure.  I don't know if it should be Raiko, but hey, 90% of success is showing up, right?  Wink

It was Varrick-Brand Dark Spirit lasers that destroyed RC in the first place, so naturally Varrick Industries will take any and all credit for the rebuilding of Republic City. Smiley

Korra comes back and there's a statue of Varrick and Kuvira, Varrick smiling benevolently and Kuvira stern and inspiring, standing beside the Colossus (which is like 1.5 times taller than them in the statue), and it's firing its laser down at a mini version of RC.  And it's titled "A New Spiritual Age".

Korra: Oh for f-

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5408 on: Feb 26, 2016 06:17 pm »

Nah, Varrick is all about taking other people's ideas'n'technology and improving on them. He'd take the job of reviving Republic City, combine it with Kuvira's Megatron, and make this.

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5409 on: Feb 26, 2016 07:52 pm »

Nah, Varrick is all about taking other people's ideas'n'technology and improving on them. He'd take the job of reviving Republic City, combine it with Kuvira's Megatron, and make this.

He would.  Maybe a giant mechanical Lion Turtle, with the city on its back?  Cheesy

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5410 on: Feb 26, 2016 11:53 pm »

While the Avatar was away, RC held an election, a new leader for a new Republic, when Korra returned from her vacation, she was greeted by President Varrick and First Lady Zhu Li. Cheesy

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #5411 on: Feb 27, 2016 12:34 am »

While the Avatar was away, RC held an election, a new leader for a new Republic, when Korra returned from her vacation, she was greeted by President Varrick and First Lady Zhu Li. Cheesy
Nah, President Zhu Li, First Man Varrick. Heartless war machines don't take second place. And you saw how Varrick was crying at the wedding, how Zhu Li fooled Kuvira into taking her back in.

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5412 on: Feb 27, 2016 12:39 am »

Nah, President Zhu Li, First Man Varrick. Heartless war machines don't take second place. And you saw how Varrick was crying at the wedding, how Zhu Li fooled Kuvira into taking her back in.

As President, Varrick would be bound by a code of ethics that is...not his style.  With Zhu Li as President, they get all the perks, with a competent administrator, and Varrick gets to Varrick.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5413 on: Feb 27, 2016 01:02 am »

As President, Varrick would be bound by a code of ethics that is...not his style.  With Zhu Li as President, they get all the perks, with a competent administrator, and Varrick gets to Varrick.

Republic City would indeed enter a new golden age after that, but it wouldn't have anything to do with Harmonic Converge or spirits returning to the city, no, this new era of peace will be brought on by the wise and benevolent guidance of President Zhu Li. Meanwhile, First Man Varrick could use propaganda to promote the Nuktuk franchise, stage his own kidnappings on a whim and finally be the one decides which kind of cookies the people can eat! Truly, they would be RC's power couple! Smiley 

Can you just imagine how that meeting of the world leaders would've gone if our cold and heartless President Zhu Li had been there in Raiko's place? She would've destroyed the Earth Empire before it even began. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016 01:05 am by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5414 on: Feb 27, 2016 04:44 am »

As President, Varrick would be bound by a code of ethics that is...not his style.  With Zhu Li as President, they get all the perks, with a competent administrator, and Varrick gets to Varrick.

Republic City would indeed enter a new golden age after that, but it wouldn't have anything to do with Harmonic Converge or spirits returning to the city, no, this new era of peace will be brought on by the wise and benevolent guidance of President Zhu Li. Meanwhile, First Man Varrick could use propaganda to promote the Nuktuk franchise, stage his own kidnappings on a whim and finally be the one decides which kind of cookies the people can eat! Truly, they would be RC's power couple! Smiley

Can you just imagine how that meeting of the world leaders would've gone if our cold and heartless President Zhu Li had been there in Raiko's place? She would've destroyed the Earth Empire before it even began. Cheesy

She would've seduced the Fire Lord to join the coalition with the Water Tribe and stand up to the EE.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5415 on: Feb 28, 2016 03:40 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure Zhu Li and Varrick would have to even bother with an election. They could just buy out all the property in the new city, and basically turn the whole settlement into a private enterprise. That's much easier than running for office and obeying laws and stuff.

And then when Korra and Asami return, Asami can say, "I told you they never actually reformed."

And then Korra can say, "But like when he started running your company, he's doing a better job of it than the previous boss."

shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5416 on: Feb 28, 2016 09:35 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure Zhu Li and Varrick would have to even bother with an election. They could just buy out all the property in the new city, and basically turn the whole settlement into a private enterprise. That's much easier than running for office and obeying laws and stuff.

And then when Korra and Asami return, Asami can say, "I told you they never actually reformed."

And then Korra can say, "But like when he started running your company, he's doing a better job of it than the previous boss."

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Zing!

(It's funny and true.  Smiley)

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #5417 on: Feb 29, 2016 03:14 am »

^it also means Korra will be sleeping with Naga in the backyard. Again.

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5418 on: Feb 29, 2016 04:41 pm »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Zing!

(It's funny and true.  Smiley)

Unlike the Satos, at least the Varricks are up-front about their terrorist activities! Cheesy  
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 11:21 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5419 on: Feb 29, 2016 06:14 pm »

I'm not even sure the Varricks think of them as bad. It all ends up for the best, so what's the problem?

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5420 on: Feb 29, 2016 11:31 pm »

To quote Edna Mode: "I never look back, darling, it distracts from the now."

That is the type of mindset the Varricks live by, its the very thing that made Varrick Industries into the global success it is today.  

And that's why Future Industries has such struggles staying afloat, the Satos are too focused on the past, if the family never forgets their terrorist dealings, then neither will the public.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #5421 on: Jan 15, 2017 07:24 pm »

I caught an re-run of "The Original Airbenders" on TV and that episode got me thinking: What the heck happened to Teo and the Air Walkers?  Huh

Throughout the episode, the Northern Air Temple appears to be abandoned, aside from Tenzin's visiting family and students. Not even any signs of resident Air Acolytes tending to the upkeep of the temple, like at the SAT.

Just compare how the Temple looks in both series...

When the Gaang arrived...

And when Tenzin's class was staying...

No airbender recruits from Teo's village? No thriving steampunk society? Granted, its been over 70 years, so a lot could've happened in all that time, but during an age where both the Avatar World has entered an industrial revolution and airbenders have been coming out of the woodwork, it seems strange that the Air Walkers have apparently vanished without an trace, when Korra's time really should've been an golden age for them.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #5422 on: Jan 15, 2017 08:22 pm »

Wow... Actually, yeah, what the heck did happen to Teo and the others?

I mean, they were all refugees fleeing the Fire Nation during the war. It's been awhile since I've seen ATLA, but weren't they captured during the Day of Black Sun?

Sig by Sedai ^_^
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5423 on: Jan 15, 2017 08:34 pm »

Huh, that is odd. I'm guessing that most of the people living there in ATLA went back to living in the Earth Kingdom once the war was over. There'd be no need to hide anymore, and living somewhere more accessible would make trade and travel easier. (And maybe they'd see it as a thank-you to Aang to move out when they no longer needed to live up there.) They'd potentially already moved out by the time the Day of Black Sun rolled around, anyway.

It would have been nice if they'd incorporated some of the Air Walker stuff though. I guess you justify it by arguing that the Air Acolytes would have attempted to restore the temple as best they could (so no more pipes and steampunk stuff). Would have been interesting to parallel the New Airbenders with the Air Walkers though- people living a hybrid lifestyle.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #5424 on: Jan 16, 2017 05:28 pm »

That always struck me as vaguely sinister.

I haven't trusted those Air Acolytes since I saw their origins in The Promise.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: