Feb 20, 2018 06:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All the Fire Nation characters are based on the cast of Evangelion  (Read 5049 times)
emo samurai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jul 09, 2011 06:28 pm »

Ozai = Gendou Ikari, cold, misanthropic, thinks his son's a failure and yet relies on him to carry out the most vital mission he can think of.
Ursa = Yui Ikari, apparently gentle and yet has no compunction about killing, seen only in flashbacks, sacrifices her life protecting her son and pushing her man to the top.
Zuko = Shinji, is afraid of failing his dad, loathes himself, a mama's boy who lost his mother at an early age, lacks self confidence and yet is determined to succeed.
Azula = Asuka, cute, overachieving, and vicious, queen bee amongst her friends and is destroyed by anxiety about not being loved by her mom, both hostile and flirtatious/protective towards Zuko/Shinji.
Mai = Rei, seemingly emotionless, a maternal surrogate to Zuko/Shinji.
Ty Lee = Misato, cheerful, perhaps the most skilled hand-to-hand fighter in the show, is closer to queen bee than any other female character, harbors a deep loneliness and desire for attention.
Iroh = Kaji, his apparent laziness and womanizing ways mask a vicious cunning, serves as the mentor that Zuko/Shinji never found in his dad, betrays Nerv/Fire Nation before anyone else.
Zhao = Ritsuko, career-oriented and eager to please Gendou/Ozai and devotes his life to killing the Angels/Water Spirits. Could also be a stand-in for Gendou, his physical resemblance to Ozai would support this.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2011 06:36 pm »

Ozai wasn't relying on Zuko to carry out the most vital mission he could think of. He was sending him on a wild goose chase, assuming the Avatar was long dead.

The moment he heard Aang was alive, he put Zhao on the case.

Toph13139
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Four for you, Glen Coco! You go, Glen Coco!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2011 06:42 pm »

Azula = Asuka, cute, overachieving, and vicious, queen bee amongst her friends and is destroyed by anxiety about not being loved by her mom, both hostile and flirtatious/protective towards Zuko/Shinji.

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2011 07:01 pm »

I've never heard of this...cast or series or whatever, but I feel as if this is just one big coincidence. Several people have compared the show to Xaolin Showdown, which did come first mind you. So that being said you could compare Avatar to a million bajillion (or is it bagillion? lol) things and say that it was based off of them and stuff.

Although I do find your comparisons quite interesting. Smiley

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2011 07:38 pm »

Your comparisons are pretty superficial, emo samurai. I don't buy them.

Ozai doesn't count on Zuko to chew gum and walk in a straight line at the same time. He trusted Zhao to get Aang in S1 and Azula to do so in S2. Gendo only used Shinji to pilot Unit-01 because he was literally the only person who could. When the Dummy Plug became an option, he tried throwing Shinji away only for the Dummy Plug to be rejected by the machine.

Yui didn't sacrifice her life to save Shinji and push Gendo to the top. Yui intentionally let herself be killed to 1) make sure Shinji would be the pilot of Unit-01, and, if you take a darker approach to her motives, to 2) drive Gendo into madness so that he'd devote his existence to initiating Instrumentality. Yui is no Ursa. At best she wanted to protect her son's life and give him the keys to godhood. At worst she was manipulating her family into becoming broken shells of human beings who would gladly choose to destroy humanity.

Zuko and Shinji share a bad family life, but Zuko has a support structure (Iroh) that Shinji didn't have growing up. Shinji's also a coward half the time, as per his characterization as a deconstruction of what an average kid would be like if drafted to pilot a giant mecha against monsters. Zuko was raised in part to be a warrior and never shirked physical danger in pursuit of his mission. Zuko never gave up hope, unlike Shinji who literally went insane during the End of Evangelion from stress and trauma. (Zuko would also never do to a comatose Azula what Shinji did to Asuka in that hospital room. You know, that scene.)

Azula was a sociopath who bullied her friends around, while Asuka did have real friends (Hikari, Shinji) but was too damaged by her drive to "live by herself" and not depend on anyone. Even though she flirted with Shinji and made him kiss her, we later learn during her mind rape by the 15th Angel that she desperately wanted Shinji to reciprocate her feelings and hold her when they kissed. Azula, like her brother, depended on her father's approval for her mental well-being, something that Asuka would never have done. She hated her parents and was driven by a desperate need to act like and be treated as an adult -- thus her crush on Kaji, earning a college degree at 13, and her self-loathing about crushing on Shinji, a *gasp* teenage boy. Whatever outside approval Asuka wanted, it was tainted by self-loathing at the need for it. Azula's mental health depended on 1) being better than Zuko, 2) knowing her father approved of her, and 3) knowing that fear was the more powerful than any other emotion.

Mai was never a maternal substitute for Zuko. If their relationship was defined by anything, it was that Mai (unlike Iroh) never cut Zuko slack for his personal problems. Also, Rei wasn't really a maternal substitute for Shinji. That role belonged to Misato, along with a temptress angle. (For those of you unfamiliar with Evangelion, it's a fairly messed up show about very damaged people.)

Ty Lee = Misato... I can sort of see this. But, again, Misato is a far more damaged and unhappy person. Ty Lee isn't driven by ghosts and easily builds relationships. Misato wants to avenge her father's death and only maintains superficial relationships: dumping Kaji when they get too serious, fumbling around with Shinji as his guardian/boss/mother, not knowing Ritsuko well enough to find out about her ongoing affair.

The Iroh/Kaji thing doesn't work because it fails to maintain the analogy you're going for. If the two shows paralleled each other, Iroh should have a romantic history with Ty Lee. He doesn't. (Thank God.) Also, Kaji uses his womanizing as a cover for his spying. He really only cares about Misato. Iroh just womanizes because he's a bit of a leech.

Zhao was obsessed with personal glory, not pleasing Ozai.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011 07:49 pm by Lavanya Six » Logged
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2011 07:43 pm »

^ Well I guess that just about sums it up!

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
emo samurai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2011 07:58 pm »

Ozai doesn't count on Zuko to chew gum and walk in a straight line at the same time. He trusted Zhao to get Aang in S1 and Azula to do so in S2.

Obviously, there are differences, but their relationship is essentially similar. Estrangement, a desire to please, etc.

Yui didn't sacrifice her life to save Shinji and push Gendo to the top. Yui intentionally let herself be killed to 1) make sure Shinji would be the pilot of Unit-01, and, if you take a darker approach to her motives, to 2) drive Gendo into madness so that he'd devote his existence to initiating Instrumentality.

That's still the "tangible" result of her actions, it would be pretty hard to translate her darker motives into an American cartoon, or really anything less surreal than Evangelion.

Zuko was raised in part to be a warrior and never shirked physical danger in pursuit of his mission.

"I mustn't run away!"/"Their honor didn't depend on finding him [the Avatar]!"

It'd be pretty hard to make Zuko a sort-of villain and also afraid of Aang, since he has to be menacing, and Aang isn't a giant abstract humanoid but a kid half his size.

Azula's mental health depended on 1) being better than Zuko,

Asuka freaks out once Shinji starts having better sync ratios.

2) knowing her father approved of her

Did you forget that whole scene where Asuka watches her mother ramble to a doll of her and screams at her to acknowledge her existence? Azula's vision of her mother as she breaks down mentally is a perfect analogue. A bit mutated for US television, but the traces are obvious.

Mai was never a maternal substitute for Zuko. If their relationship was defined by anything, it was that Mai (unlike Iroh) never cut Zuko slack for his personal problems. Also, Rei wasn't really a maternal substitute for Shinji.

Now that I think of it, Rei was more of an ever-watchful judge. But both are Zuko/Shinji's doorways to manhood, after all, the first breast Shinji ever touched was Rei's.

Ty Lee = Misato... I can sort of see this.

I actually thought that was easily the most tenuous connection I made aside from Zhao.

The Iroh/Kaji thing doesn't work because it fails to maintain the analogy you're going for.

The personalities are the same, even if he doesn't have the same relationships.

Also, Kaji uses his womanizing as a cover for his spying. He really only cares about Misato. Iroh just womanizes because he's a bit of a leech.

They show time and time again that his "foolish old man" thing is a cover. Like every episode that he's in. And again, both Kaji and Iroh are The Mole in their respective shows.

That part at the end of The Beach where all the Fire Nation kids randomly break down and start yelling at each other? That's exactly the kind of scene you'd write after watching Eva and thinking that it was the greatest thing ever.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011 08:04 pm by emo samurai » Logged
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2011 08:16 pm »

I think you're really stretching for 1:1 connections here. Do certain characters share certain traits, like Zuko/Shinji's need for approval from daddy? Sure. But a son working for his father's approval is a very popular storytelling trope. Lots of shows have sons trying to please fathers, that doesn't mean Shinji influenced Zuko's creation. The same is true for other tropes that the two shows share -- the lecherous man, the Lolita, the crouching moron hidden badass, the dead mother. I'm not seeing how the AtLA and NGE are related in any way more than sharing basic archetypes.

My biggest argument against your theory is that if the Fire Nation characters were directly based on Evangelion's cast, why have AtLA's creators or writers never talked about that? They've been very upfront about their other influences on the show, even the ones stemming from anime.

EDIT: For anyone wondering what the heck Neon Genesis Evangelion is, check out the TVtropes or Wikipedia articles. Here's a trailer for the original 90s TV series. Here's one for the recent movie remakes.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011 08:25 pm by Lavanya Six » Logged
emo samurai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2011 08:32 pm »

Those other influences don't jump out nearly as much to me. Like, Naruto has the "Elemental nations" thing, but its political system is way more complicated, and pretty much nobody aside from Naruto, Sasuke, and Kakashi have analogues, and they didn't even introduce the retarded and implausibly secret "lol elemental powers" until after Avatar ended.

And again, Eva is much less kid-friendly than the other influences. MUCH. Like if you mentioned it in an interview and some 10 year old kids got their parents to buy it, their parents would seriously kill themselves afterwards.

I think you're really stretching for 1:1 connections here.

I think I made my point pretty clearly, yes they are common tropes, but it's improbable that those exact tropes would be compiled in that combination. Like, I get that they could put an evil princess in an adventure show, but they gave her the exact same mental complexes as Asuka's. And it's rare that the "wise old man" would also be a "traitor" and part of a worldwide conspiracy, exactly like how Kaji also worked for Seelee and the Marduk Group with its 108 shell companies.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011 08:33 pm by emo samurai » Logged
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2011 09:12 pm »

And again, Eva is much less kid-friendly than the other influences. MUCH. Like if you mentioned it in an interview and some 10 year old kids got their parents to buy it, their parents would seriously kill themselves afterwards.

So Eva secretly influenced the show. And the creators never talked about, even after the show was over, not even once in any interview ever, because they were afraid parents would be upset that AtLA was influenced by a mid-90s anime that your average American has never heard of, never mind wouldn't recognize if the name was dropped. And said influence only extended to certain popular character traits that many other shows share, not Evangelion's particular character relationships or its deconstructionism streak or its existentialism.

I think you're really stretching for 1:1 connections here.

I think I made my point pretty clearly, yes they are common tropes, but it's improbable that those exact tropes would be compiled in that combination.

You did make your points clearly. And you're still completely wrong. Avatar is a very trope heavy show. It's not outrageous that there'd be overlap between it and Evangelion in certain areas, but that doesn't mean Evangelion *influenced* AtLA. Correlation does not imply causation. Arguing that the creators were secretly influenced by Evangelion is weaksauce. That's like me saying Ronald D. Moore was influenced to deconstruct the "starship with limited supplies and manpower" of Star Trek: Voyager as he did in Battlestar Galactica because he was secretly influenced by Evangelion's deconstructionist approach to its genre but was ashamed to admit that influence because people would tune out from his show if they knew he'd been watching an anime that had fourteen year olds flash nipple-less breasts.

Like, I get that they could put an evil princess in an adventure show, but they gave her the exact same mental complexes as Asuka's. And it's rare that the "wise old man" would also be a "traitor" and part of a worldwide conspiracy, exactly like how Kaji also worked for Seelee and the Marduk Group with its 108 shell companies.

Azula and Asuka don't share the exact same mental complexes. Azula's a daddy's girl. Asuka hates her parents, all of them, until her epiphany under the lake in End of Evangelion -- her whole need to be and act like an adult stems from rejecting her insane mother's delusion that she was a little doll. Azula is a perfectionist. Asuka just wanted to be the best, not to be perfect. Azula relied on fear to motivate everyone, including her friends. Asuka used charm, anger, and her ego and wasn't above actual friendships (like with Hikari). Azula was intolerant of dissent. Asuka would get angry if people, like Shinji, disagreed with her but she wasn't above taking a few licks. Azula used mind games for complex plots out of a need to master and control others. Asuka did not, preferring only to control herself.

Second, Kaji isn't a wise old man. A wise old man starts off knowing everything. Kaji doesn't. If a parallel between the shows existed, it'd be Kozo Fuyutsuki who was the inside traitor. Kaji's whole character is about searching for the truth despite knowing he'll be killed for it.
emo samurai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2011 09:37 pm »

because they were afraid parents would be upset that AtLA was influenced by a mid-90s anime that your average American has never heard of, never mind wouldn't recognize if the name was dropped.

Naruto is on 4kids and Cartoon Network, Evangelion is not. Not being kid-friendly is actually a really good reason not to mention something in connection to a kids show in America, for image reasons if nothing else. Also, the main format isn't borrowed from Eva, so that's another reason.

not Evangelion's particular character relationships

The relationships between the main royal family are essentially the same, but I admit that none of the "side" characters have similar relationships.

its deconstructionism streak or its existentialism.

I don't think either of these would really work on Nickelodeon. The reason I keep saying "This wouldn't work in a US kid's tv show" is that I'm trying to make clear that they ported over what they could.

Azula is a perfectionist. Asuka just wanted to be the best, not to be perfect.

This is such a minute distinction, I don't even know how to begin, except to say that it epitomizes your style of debate.

Azula relied on fear to motivate everyone

Asuka used charm, anger, and her ego

So basically, manipulation and intimidation. Again with the minute distinctions.

Azula was intolerant of dissent. Asuka would get angry if people, like Shinji, disagreed with her but she wasn't above taking a few licks.

So they both have similar tendencies, but a few are more pronounced to fit their respective positions.

Kaji isn't a wise old man.

There's the "melon" speech he gives to Shinji to make him fight, but yea, generally, he plays the douche. And maybe Fuyutsuki's a better analogue for certain aspects, but Iroh borrows heavily from both characters.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011 09:42 pm by emo samurai » Logged
Evageek
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am »

@ emo samurai

Your comparisons are superficial and ignore that the character constellations in the series differ greatly from each other- thus, it seems invalid to assume that „Avatar“ characters are based on NGE. You seem to confuse „character“ and „archetype“. Harry Potter and Frodo are both innocent Hero-Archetypes, but they are not the same character.

I had to laugh a bit at your comparison of Ursa with Yui. Yui was a driving force behind many, many events  in the series, one could see her as one/the architect of the Third Impact. Ursa, on the other hand, never had the same influence on the fate of the world. While both Ursa and Yui left her son behind, you can’t say that Ursa is „based“ on Yui.

Your comparison of Iroh to Kaji doesn’t help either. It’s hilarious. because they have nothing in common, despite being „mentor-archetypes“.
Just because May fits into the emotionless girl“-category, doesn’t mean she is based on Rei. So you want to tell me that May is a clone of Ursa and lives in a smi-incestuous relationship with Zuko? Both Rei and May are more than „emotional surrogates“.

Zhao and Ritsuko? Ritsuko is not choleric, Zhao is not a cat lover. Zhao is not a scientist and has no mommy-issues (what is a key element to Ritsukos past)

Ozai and Gendo are entirely different. Ozai wants to burn (rule?) the world for no other reason than having fun- and he doesn’t care about Ursa. Gendos only motivation is to be reunited with his wife Yui. 

"Azula = Asuka, cute, overachieving, and vicious, queen bee amongst her friends and is destroyed by anxiety about not being loved by her mom, both hostile and flirtatious/protective towards Zuko/Shinji"

First, Azula is not cute and never wanted to protect Zuko (what the hell have you been seeing?). And when was she ever flirtatious towards Zuko?

I don’t accept your comparison of Asuka and Azula:

1.   Different Biography: 

Azula
Azula was a gifted liar and manipulator from an early age. The disappearance of her mother was not a traumatic event for her. Rather, she felt a narcisstic wound, because her mother called her a monster. If Ursa had praised Azula, she would have merely become more narzisstic.
This „narzisstic wound“ doesn’t explain her sociopathic behavior. And I don’t like how this is handled as an excuse for her character in „The Beach“.  Another part of her self esteem consists in being Ozais „favourite child“. Azula never plottet against her father, what is very remarkable. It is questionable if Azula was „born evil“ or if this is the result of her upbringing. I think that it is a mixture of both. A sociopath raised by a sociopath will likely become a sociopath.
Azula was never challenged in her status as Ozais „favourite child“- simply becuase she was more talented and cruel than Zuko. She saw nothing more in zuko than a pawn and never had romantic or sexual feelings about him (they are siblings, just a side note) The only real rivalry they had was at the end of the series, otherwise Zuko was never a challenge.
She learned to control people through fear, even her friends were nothing more than puppets, (Example: For Ty lees recruitement, she almost set the circus on fire).

Asuka

Asuka was traumatized by the suicide of her mother and the fact that she was „replaced“ by a puppet. That’s why she hates Rei for being so obedient and cold. Asuka wants to „proof“ that she is worthy to live and to be recognized.  Threrfore, she overreacted, when Shinji proved to be  a better pilot than her. Shinji had a higher synch ratio and learned faster, despite being more unexperienced.

Unlike Azula, Asuka maintained genuine friendships (e.g., with Hikari). She even went on several blind dates, something azula would never do.
Her self esteem went downhill, when she was outright defeated by an angel.

2.   Different motivations and crises:

Azula wants to control people through fear. If fear doesn’t help her, she becomes insecure. This lead to her downfall. It wasn’t the lost friendship with Ty Lee and May that affected her the most, but the sudden loss of power.
Asuka wants praise. When she was defeated and „mind raped“ by Arael, she grew emotionally unstable. Thus, she couldn’t pilot her EVA. Thus, she didn’t feel worthy of praise anymore and grew depressed. The death of Kaji finally made her run away.
Azula went paranoid, because she couldn’t control people anymore (or so she thought).

Asuka went depressed- because she could neither protect herself from Arael nor Kaji from an Assassin.
Asuka wants to protect and wants to be praised. Azula wants to control and intimidate people through fear.

3.   More differences:

They share an extraverted, dominant and extremely narzisstic personality. There are many differences, though:

-   Asuka is impulsive and acts without thinking twice. In Episode 9, she charged blindly into battle and was the main reason the Team failed against Isfrael the first time. In Episode 10, Shinji had to rescue her from the volcano, because Asukas attack damaged the ropes. She could be seen as a choleric and generally isn’t hesitant.

-   Azula, despite being a firebender, isn’t choleric at all. Azula isn’t called the „called blooded fire“ for nothing. She plans and schemes- what finally leads to the fall of a whole city. She has the patience of a snake- which is also her zodiac sign.

Asuka, despite her flaws, is an honest and honourable person at heart. In Episode 11, she willingly endures the acid blood of Matarael to protect Shinji- so he can give the angel a death blow. That’s why she would make a good  general, but not an effective politician.

-   Azula likes to cheat and is a far better liar than Asuka could ever dream to be (I am a purple Platypus…). Azula is a (borderline?) sociopath and fits perfectly into the obscure world of politics. She doesn’t need to be in the front line to be effective.

-   Azula tends to scare boys and isn’t shown to have many sexual or romantic interests (excluding her „experience“ in „The Beach“). Asuka is the love interest of many boys in her school and acts very, very flirtatious.

-   Azula would never say things like: „Sorry, Wondergirl!“ (EVA Episode 11), „everything is nice and toasty“ (EVA Episode 9) or „Looky, looky, backflip!“ (EVA Episode 9).

Side note: Korra and Asuka have more in common by your logic, because both are impulsive and rely on raw power rather than strategy and calculation.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm by Evageek » Logged
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2014 05:31 pm »

Not to rain on your quality posting (and that was indeed a very extensive and well researched post), but this is a thread that has not been responded to in three years.

Did you make an account (hence...Evageek), specifically so you could respond to this post? O__O
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014 05:33 pm by guyw1tn0nam3 » Logged

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Evageek
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2014 02:16 am »

What question is this to ask me, Evageek?

But yes...
Ikkin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2014 09:14 am »

because they were afraid parents would be upset that AtLA was influenced by a mid-90s anime that your average American has never heard of, never mind wouldn't recognize if the name was dropped.

Naruto is on 4kids and Cartoon Network, Evangelion is not. Not being kid-friendly is actually a really good reason not to mention something in connection to a kids show in America, for image reasons if nothing else. Also, the main format isn't borrowed from Eva, so that's another reason.

Ancient thread or not, this line of argument amuses me.

First off, Bryke actually admitted to Eva being an influence in the A:tLA art book... for Hei Bai's enraged form, and for King Bumi's posture.  There's obviously no Nickelodeon policy stopping them from mentioning Eva.

Second, Bryke's referenced all kinds of adult programs in conjunction with LoK, most notably Mad Men (with the amusing note, "And when you turn a certain age, viewing audience, you too can watch Mad Men! But, uh, please do not tell your parents that we told you to watch it"), Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones.  If anything, they seem to want to position themselves to be as close to an animated version of that kind of thing as possible.  XD

Korra Ramblings on Tumblr

Child of the Elements - A look at Korra's childhood with the Order of the White Lotus. (Complete)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2014 01:55 pm »

I think the Mike and the Bryan should go back to being anime fans.

Comparing LoK to Breaking Bad isn't going to do them any favors.

guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2014 02:46 pm »

I think the Mike and the Bryan should go back to being anime fans.

Comparing LoK to Breaking Bad isn't going to do them any favors.

It's super funny you mention this. Apparently there's this ongoing trend on MyAnimeList where a bunch of elitist anime people (basically the people with the worst opinions imaginable) put the following:

Breaking Bad > Anime

in their signatures. It's one of the most toxic things I have ever seen (haha, because chemistry), and perhaps Bryke's fascination with Breaking Bad and the product that they have created since thus proves that in actuality, Anime > Breaking Bad.

Anyway, random rant. Thought I'd share. Tongue

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by Maivry, Sig by PrincessBlazeFire

« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2014 08:28 pm »

There is nothing wrong with bumping old threads that are still relevant though the original poster might not have logged in for a long time.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Evageek
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2014 01:55 am »

There is nothing wrong with bumping old threads that are still relevant though the original poster might not have logged in for a long time.

You are absolutely right!
NeoAzula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2014 05:04 pm »

Azula is my favourite anime character beside Vegeta.
Maybe I should start watching Evangelion if this Ahsuka is a little bit like Azula.
I like mentally troubled characters.
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2014 06:03 pm »

Maybe I should start watching Evangelion if this Ahsuka is a little bit like Azula.

I can't speak for the feature films that provide an alternate interpretation on the story (the Rebuild of Evangelion), but Asuka from the original series and the film End of Evangelion only shares a few characteristics with Azula. Both are cold and overconfident and base their self-worth on showcasing their strength to others, but Asuka is able to maintain somewhat normal relationships with her peers, and resents her family. Azula, on the other hand, appears not to need intimacy and relies on praise from her father.

I'd try it anyway, you might like it. The original series gets really "weird" near the end, in part because the studio began to run over budget and the director was suffering from depression; you may enjoy the Rebuilds more.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2014 06:14 pm »

Azula isn't an anime character at all, because Avatar isn't an anime in the first place.  But that's a whole other, well-trodden discussion...
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2014 08:13 pm »

...Hmmm - I do not agree with the Original Post. Which is hilarious because I have jokingly (mostly) made reference to Korra being Asuka, Asami as Rei (because they are "boring" also Korrasami is totally Rei X Asuka), and ... who was Shinji again? I forget.

Of course, I've also said that Aang has Shinji tendencies (mustn't run away... oh look another freak out), Azula has Asuka tendencies, Zuko also has Shinji tendencies, and many jokes about Tenzin as Gendo because that whole compound thing (and also the beard, and he totally did the Gendo pose at least once). Of course, I also made jokes about Tenzin being Comstock and Korra being Anna from Bioshock Infinite... I'm a bad person.

Anyways - while it's fun to kind of make matches it should be remembered that it's not THE ONE TRUTH. On a different note - have you ever played Silent Hill? How do you think ATLA's characters would did with it? ...Fanfic.
NeoAzula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2014 08:15 am »

Azula isn't an anime character at all, because Avatar isn't an anime in the first place.  But that's a whole other, well-trodden discussion...

Yeah I know I just dont know the english word for that so I just say "anime" sorry.
I start the series today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: