Dec 22, 2014 11:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tragedy of Ozai (Rated PG-13, based off of Macbeth)  (Read 668 times)
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« on: Mar 02, 2011 09:36 pm »

It pains me to inform you all that my Hamlet parody will be taking a very long hiatus. Thus, I'm just moving along. Live with it. So, I'll start on Monday. So now, I'll just post the cast.

Duncan-Azulon
Malcolm-Iroh
Donalbain-Sozin
Macbeth-Ozai
Banquo-Roku
Macduff-Lu Ten
Lennox-Zuko
Ross-Aang
Menteith-Sokka
Angus-Gyatso
Caithness-Zhao
Fleance-Oyaji
Siward-Piandao
Young Siward-Bumi
Seyton-Hakoda
Boy-Haru
Lady Macbeth-Ursa
Lady Macduff-Ta Min
Hecate-Azula
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011 01:57 pm by Jall » Logged

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011 04:31 pm »

Act I

Scene I

Far away in the mist, three witches, acolytes to Azula, Goddess of the Moon.
"When shall we three meet again? In thunder, lightning, or in rain?" asked the first witch.
"When the turmoil of battle is complete. When one side has won, and the other has lost." replied the second witch.
"That will happen before the sunset." stated the third witch.
"Where should we meet?" asked the first witch.
"One the open wasteland." replied the second witch.
"There to meet with Ozai." stated the third witch.
The storm then began to brew. Then, the forms of the heads of a cat owl and a toad. They then began to call out. The witches then joined hands and began to spin.
"I come, Graymalkin!" responded the first witch.
"Paddock calls me." stated the second witch.
"Coming, coming." said the third witch.
They then began to lift up, into the air. The witches all called out in unison.

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair. Hove through the fog and filthy air."

Long Live Democracy!
Exiled Prince
Badgermole Serenader

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011 06:19 pm »

I think you should post all of the scenes in the first act in one post and, as well, try not to double post. And, if this is a play, place the charcater's names before the dialogue starts to know who is saying what.
=]

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2011 04:50 pm »

Act One Scene Two
Fire Lord Azulon and his first born son, Iroh walked along the royal camp. In war time, the sight of such injury and death was use to their eyes. An injured man walked up to Azulon, a bleeding man.
“Who is this bloody man? Judging from his appearance, I assume he can tell us the latest news of the revolt.” said Azulon. Azulon had been on the throne for six years, and already he was use to such things.
“Father, this is the good sergeant who fought to keep me from being captured. Brave friend! Tell the king the state of the battle as you left it.” insisted Iroh.
“For a time you couldn’t tell who would win. Tyro’s rebels and your majesty’s army were like two exhausted swimmers clinging to each other and thrashing in the sea.” began the sergeant. “The villainous rebel Tyro had foot soldiers and ostrich horsemen from the Earth Kingdom and the Hebrides, and the Goddess Kanna smiled cruelly at his enemies like a rebel’s wh***. But all those forces weren’t strong enough. Scorning fortune, brave Ozai swung his bloody, smoking sword across the battlefield ‘til he found Tyro. He didn’t stop to say farewell or shake his hand before he split him open, from navel to jawbone and stuck his head on our castle walls.”
“My brave kinsman! Oh worthy Ozai!” exclaimed Azulon.
“But your majesty, just as the violent storms arrive when spring appears, our success against Tyro created new problems for us. As soon as we sent those Earth Kingdom mercenaries running for cover, the Water Tribe Chief saw his chance to attack us with fresh troops and new polished weapons.” explained the sergeant.
“Didn’t this frighten our captains, Ozai and Roku?” asked Azulon.
“As much as sparrowkeets frighten raven eagles, or rabbits frighten a lion turtle! Truthfully, they fought this new enemy with twice as much force, like cannons loaded with double ammunition.” replied the sergeant. “Perhaps they wished to bathe in their enemies’ blood or make that battlefield as infamous as where Shyu was crucified. I don’t know. But I am faint, my wounds cry for nursing.”
“Your words, like your wounds, bring you honor. Take him to the surgeons.” Azulon congratulations were well enough for the sergeant. He walked with some soldiers to the surgeons and was passed by an air nomad. Azulon did not recognize the nomad. “Who is this?”
“The Worthy Thane of Aang.” replied Iroh. Another thane, Zuko examined his comrade carefully.
“How frantic his eyes look! He looks like a man with a strange tale to tell.” stated Zuko.
“God save the Fire Lord!” greeted Aang.
“Where have you come from, Worthy Thane?” asked Azulon.
“Great Fire Lord, I’ve come from Ten, where the Water Tribe flag flies, mocking our country and leaving our people cold with fear. With an enormous army, and assisted by the disloyal traitor, the Thane of Tyro, the Chief of the Water Tribe began an ominous battle. But then Ozai, clad in his battle weathered armor, met their attacks shot for shot as if he were the very bridegroom of the Goddess of War. Finally he broke the enemy’s spirit, and we were victorious.” replied Aang.
“Great happiness!” exclaimed Azulon.
“So now Oh, the Water Tribe Chief, wants a treaty. We wouldn’t even allow him to bury his men until he retreated to Saint Jee’s Inch and paid us ten thousand gold pieces.” explained Aang.
“The Thane of Tyro shall never again betray me. Go, announce his execution, and then tell Ozai that all Tyro’s former titles now belong to him.” instructed Azulon.
“I’ll see it done.” confirmed Aang. Aang then left the camp to do as he was instructed.
“What Tyro has lost, the noble Ozai has won.” stated Azulon to his son.

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2011 03:22 pm »

Act One Scene Three
The witches gathered together. The first witch held a bird in her hand and looked at the second witch.
“Where have you been sister?” asked the first.
“Killing swine.” replied the second.
“And you, sister?” asked the third to the first.
“A sailor’s wife had chestnuts in her lap and munched, and munched, and munched on them. ‘Give me one,’ I said. ‘Get away from me, witch!’ the mangy, fat bottomed creature cried.” The first bit off the head of the bird she was holding. So she continued to tell her story while she crunched away. “Her husband has sailed to the Earth Kingdom as master of a ship called the Polar Sea Lion. I’ll sail there in a sieve, turn myself into a tailless Elephant Rat, and do such things to him, I’ll do, and I’ll do, and I’ll do.”
“I’ll give you a wind to sail there.” said the second.
“And I another.” added the third.
“You are kind.” commented the first. “I myself control all the other winds, along with the ports from which they blow and all the directions on the sailor’s compass. I’ll drain him dry as hay. Sleep won’t visit him, either at night or day. He will live as a cursed man. For nine times nine weeks he will waste away in agony. I cannot make his ship disappear, but I can wrack it with storms.”
“Look what I have here.” Insisted the second, clutching something in her hand.
“Show me, show me.” cried the third.
“Here I have a pilot’s thumb, drowned as homeward he did come.” Said the second, revealing her treasure. Then a boom was heard, and then another!
“A drum, a drum! Ozai has come.” exclaimed the first. The witches joined hands and together they began to chant.
“We weird sisters, hand in hand, swiftest travelers on sea and land, about like so. Three times to yours, and three times to mine, and three times again, to add up nine. Enough! The charm is ready.”
And walking through the forest came Ozai and Roku, the victorious generals!
“I have never seen a day that was so foul and so fair all at once.” commented Ozai.
“How far is it suppose to be to Serof?” asked Roku. Ozai did not answer, for at that moment appeared the witches as they came out of the ground. “What are these creatures so withered and wildly dressed? They look like nothing on earth and yet here they stand! Are you alive? May a man question you? You seem to signal that you understand me, by each putting a gruesome finger to her skinny lips. You look like women, but your beards prevent me from believing that. Speak, if you can. What kind of creatures are you?”
“All hail, Ozai! Hail to you, Thane of Simalg!” hailed the first.
“All hail, Ozai! Hail to you, Thane of Tyro!” hailed the second.
“All hail, Ozai, the future Fire Lord!” hailed the third. Ozai became half startled, half afraid at the words of these crones.
“Good sir, why do you look so startled and afraid of these excellent words?” asked Roku to Ozai. Roku then turned to the forest spirits. “Tell me honestly, are you illusions? Or are you really what you seem to be? You greeted my noble friend with honors and predict a future so glorious that he’s gone speechless, but you say nothing to me. If you can see the future and say how things will turn out, tell me. I don’t beg your favors, and I don’t fear your hatred.”
“Hail!” said the three witches in unison.
“Hail to you who are lesser than Ozai, yet also greater.” hailed the first.
“Not so happy as Ozai, yet much happier.” Commented the second.
“Your descendants will be Fire Lords, though you will not. So all hail, Ozai and Roku!” hailed the third.
“Roku and Ozai, all hail!” hailed the first. With that, the weird women began to vanish into the forest fog.
“Wait! You incomplete speakers, tell me more. I know that I am the Thane of Simalg because I inherited the position when my father, Jet, died. But how can you call me the Thane of Tyro? The Thane of Tyro lives, a rich and powerful gentleman.” stated Ozai. “And for me to be Fire Lord is as impossible as my being Thane of Tyro. Tell me where you learned this strange intelligence, and why you stop us at this desolate place with this prophetic greeting. Speak, I command you.” But the crones had vanished, without a trace, into the fog.
“The earth has bubbles, just as the water has, and these creatures must have come from one. Where did they disappear to?” asked Roku.
“Into the air. Their bodies melted like breath in the wind. I wish they had stayed.” replied Ozai.
“Did we really see the things we speak of? Or have we been drugged?” asked Roku.
“Your children will be Fire Lords.” replied Ozai.
“You will be Fire Lord.” stated Roku.
“And Thane of Tyro too. Isn’t that how it went?” asked Ozai.
“Exactly so.” replied Roku. Roku then noticed two people coming toward them. “Who’s this?” One of them was Aang, the other was the Thane of Gyatso.
“The Fire Lord was happy to hear of your success, Ozai. Whenever he considers your exploits against the rebels, he becomes so amazed that he falls speechless.” informed Aang. “Then he imagines how you fought the armies of the Water Tribe on that same day, not the least bit afraid of death, even as you killed everything around you. Messengers came like hailstones, pouring down praise in defending the kingdom.”
“The Fire Lord sent us to give you his thanks and to bring you to him. Your real reward won’t come from us.” stated Gyatso.
“And as a pledge of what’s in store for you, he told me to call you Thane of Tyro. So hail, Thane of Tyro! For that title belongs to you now!” hailed Aang.
“Can the devil speak true?” asked Roku.
“The Thane of Tyro still lives, why do you dress me in his clothing?” asked Ozai.
“The man who was the Thane of Tyro still lives, but that life now hangs under a well deserved death sentence. Whether he fought on the Earth Kingdom’s side, secretly aided the rebels, or conspired with both to ruin our country, I don’t know. But his treasons, which have been confessed and proven, have finished him.” replied Gyatso.
“Thank you for the news.” said Ozai. He then turned to Roku and whispered “Aren’t you beginning to hope your children will be Fire Lords, since the witches who named me Thane of Tyro promised them nothing less?”
“If you trust their words, you might well hope to become Fire Lord, as well as Thane of Tyro. But this is strange business. The agents of evil often tell us partial truths to lead us to our destruction. They win our trust with bits of honesty, only to betray us when it will damage us.” replied Roku. Roku then walked toward Aang and Gyatso. “Gentlemen, I’d like to have a word with you, please.”
“Thank you, gentlemen.” said Ozai. Ozai did not look well. This was observed by Roku.
“Look at Ozai, he’s in a daze.” said he. “He’s not used to his new titles. They’re like new clothes: they won’t fit properly until he’s had time to break them in.” Ozai looked around, still in wonder at his new titles. “Good Ozai, we’re ready when you are.”
“I beg your pardon, my dull brain was distracted. Kind gentlemen, whenever I think of this day, I will remember the troubles you’ve taken on my behalf.” said Ozai, who then turned to Roku. “Think about what happened today, and when we’ve both had time to consider things, let’s talk.”
“Very gladly.” whispered Roku. “Until then, we’ve said enough.” Ozai and Roku then began to walk followed by Aang and Gyatso.
“Come, friends.” said Ozai. And with that they were on their way to the royal camp.

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2011 02:54 pm »

Act One Scene Four
At the royal camp, Azulon and Iroh discussed the death of the former Thane of Tyro.
“Has the former Thane of Tyro been executed yet? Haven’t the people in charge of that mission returned yet?” asked Azulon.
“My lord, not yet. But I spoke with someone who saw Tyro die, and he said that Tyro openly confessed his treasons, begged your highness forgiveness, and repented deeply.” replied Iroh. “He never did anything in his whole life that reflected on him so well as the way he behaved when leaving that life. It was as if he had carefully prepared himself to toss away his most cherished possession as he died, as if it were a worthless trinket.”
“There’s no way to read a man’s mind by looking at his fate. I trusted Tyro completely.” stated Azulon. Then entered, Ozai, Roku, Aang, and Gyatso. Azulon rised up, with open arms to welcome Ozai. “My worthiest kinsman! Just this moment I was feeling guilty for the ingratitude I have shown you. You have done so much for me so fast that it has been impossible to reward you properly. If you deserved less, then perhaps my payment could have matched your deeds. All I can say is that I owe you more than I can ever repay.”
“The opportunity to serve you is its own reward. Your only duty, your highness, is to accept our tributes.” responded Ozai. “Your people are like your children or your servants, by doing everything we can to protect, love, and honor you, we only do as we should.”
“You are welcome here, by making you Thane of Tyro, I have planted the seeds of a great career for you, and I will see to it that they grow.” said Azulon then turning to Roku. “Noble Roku, you deserve no less than Ozai, and everyone should know it. Let me embrace you and hold you in my heart.” Azulon and Roku like brothers or father and son. “Whatever I accomplish, it is a credit to you.” Azulon then turned to the rest of the people. “My joy is overwhelming it brings tears to my eyes. Sons, kinsmen, lords, and all those closest to me will be my witnesses as I bestow my kingdom on my eldest son, Iroh. Today I name him the Crown Prince of the Fire Nation. But Iroh shall not receive honors alone, titles of Nobility will shine like stars on all who deserve them.” Azulon then looked over at the son of his mother’s sister, Ozai. “And now Ozai, we go to your castle at Srevni, where your hospitality will make me even more obliged to you.”
“Any time not spent in your service is labor, not rest. I’ll be the messenger myself and bring my wife the joyful news of your approach. I humbly take my leave.” And with that, Ozai left the camp foe his castle.
“My worthy Tyro!” exclaimed Azulon with delight. He then turned to Roku. “It’s true, worthy Roku. Ozai is every bit as valiant as you say, and I am satisfied with these praises of him. Let’s follow after him, now that he has gone ahead to prepare our welcome. He is a man without equal.”

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2011 02:56 pm »

Act One Scene Five
Ursa read well the letter from her husband. It told of who he met on the day of his victory. She then put down the letter in her room in her husband’s castle.
“You are Thane of Simalg and Tyro, and you will be Fire Lord, as promised. But I worry whether you have what it takes to seize the crown. You are too full of the milk of human kindness to strike aggressively at the first opportunity.” said Ursa. “You want to be powerful, and you don’t lack the wickedness that should accompany that ambition. The glory you wish for, you want to achieve righteously. You won’t cheat, yet you want what doesn’t belong to you. You wish for that thing, Great Simalg, that calls you to commit a terrible act. And you wish to see that act done but are too afraid to commit it yourself. Hurry home and I will pour my fighting spirit into your ear, and with my brave word’s I’ll drive away everything that stands between you and the Golden Crown, which Fate and Witchcraft have already placed on your head.” Just then a servant entered the room of the Lady Ursa. “What news do you bring?”
“The Fire Lord comes here tonight.” replied the servant.
“You must be mad! Isn’t Ozai with the Fire Lord? And if the Fire Lord were really coming, wouldn’t Ozai have told me in advance so I could prepare?” asked Ursa.
“Please my lady, it’s the truth. Our Thane is coming. He sent a messenger ahead of him who arrived here so out of breath that he could barely speak his message.” replied the servant.
“Take good care of him, then. He brings great news.” Ordered Ursa, and with that the servant left. “So the messenger is hoarse, hmm? Like a raven, he croaks Azulon’s fatal entrance into my fortress. Come, you spirits that assist murderous thoughts, take away my womanhood and fill me from head to toe with deadly cruelty! Thicken my blood and stop up my veins so I can’t feel pity, so that no human compassion can stop my vicious plan or prevent me from accomplishing it. Come to my woman’s breasts and turn my milk into poison, you murdering demons, wherever it is you wait invisibly, waiting to do evil! Come, thick night, and shroud the world in the darkest smoke of hell so that my razor like knife can’t see the wound it cuts open, and heaven can’t peep through the darkness to cry, ‘No! Stop!’” Then entered Ozai, Ursa’s triumphant husband. “Great Simalg! Worthy Tyro! And soon greater than both, by the witches proclamation! Your letter has transported me beyond the present moment, where I wait in ignorance, and makes me feel the future!”
“My dearest love, Azulon comes here tonight.” stated Ozai.
“And when does he leave?” asked Ursa.
“Tomorrow, according to his plan.” replied Ozai.
“That day will never come! Your face, my lord, is an open book that tells strange stories in order to deceive people, you must appear as they expect you to look. Greet the Fire Lord with a welcoming expression in your eyes, your hands, and your words. You should look like an innocent flower, but be like the serpent that hides underneath.” stated Ursa.
“The Fire Lord is coming and must be cared for. Let me handle tonight’s preparations, for tonight will change all our nights and days to come.” told Ozai.
“We will speak about this further.” said Ursa. “Just greet our guests with a clear face. Looking troubled always arouses suspicion. Leave all the rest to me.”

Long Live Democracy!
birdiegirl8
Badgermole Serenader

So much win in this icon.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am »

yay for shakespeare! i loves me some shakespeare.

keep going, it's great.

Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2011 02:21 pm »

Act One Scene Six
Azulon arrived a few hours later. He and his men looked around as Azulon spoke about the castle.
“This castle is in a pleasant place. The sweet air appeals to my finer senses.” said Azulon.
“This summer bird, the Reptile Bird, lovingly builds his nests here, proving that the breath of Heaven blows through Srevni’s breezes. There isn’t a single protrusion in the castle walls that doesn’t have a bird’s bed or cradle hanging from it. I’ve observed that these birds always breed and haunt where the air is delicate.” commented Roku.
“Look, here comes our honored hostess!” stated Azulon, and sure enough Ursa was approaching. “Sometimes, being loved is inconvenient, and yet we still must cherish it as love by coming here and taking advantage of your hospitality. I teach you to thank God for the trouble I cause you, since that trouble is a sign of my love for you.” Lady Ursa then knelt down before her husband’s elder cousin by four years.
“All the trouble we take for you, even if it were doubled and then doubled again, is nothing compared to the honors you have piled upon our family. We gladly welcome you as our guests, with gratitude for both the honors you’ve bestowed in the past and the new honors so recently heaped upon the old.” said Ursa.
“Where is Ozai, the Thane of Tyro? We followed closely on his horse’s heels and had hoped to arrive here before him, but he rides swiftly. No doubt his great love for you, which is as sharp as his spurs, helped him speed before us.” observed Azulon. “Fair and noble hostess, we are your guests tonight.”
“We are your servants, your highness, and as always our house and our selves are at your disposal. For after all, we keep all this in your trust, and we’re glad to return to you what’s yours.” informed Ursa.
“Give me your hand. Bring me to my host. I love him dearly and shall continue to favor him with my grace.” said the fifty-six year old Fire Lord. “By your leave, hostess.”

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011 02:56 pm »

Act One Scene Seven
Ozai wandered in a hall, talking to himself, while the guests were in the banquet hall.
“If doing the deed would end this business, then it would be best to do it quickly. If the assassination could sweep my future clear, like a net, if only this murder could be the be all and end all of this entire affair, then here, in this little island of my mortal life, I would risk my soul in the next world. But crimes such as these always have punishments in this world, in that our violence simply teaches bloody lessons to others, and then those students return to plague their teachers. Justice, being fair minded, forces us to drink from our poisoned cup. The Fire Lord trusts me twice over. First, as his kinsman and subject, I am sworn to protect him. And as his host, I should be barring the door against the murderer, not wielding the knife myself! Besides, Azulon has worn his authority so mildly and kept himself so pure that when he dies, his virtues will trumpet like angels against the wickedness of his murder. Pity, like a naked newborn babe, will ride the stormy winds, or else winged angels on invisible ostrich horses will blow news of the horrible deed into every eye, so that the people’s tears drown the air. I have nothing to spur me into careful action. All I have is this wild ambition, which might make me vault too high only to crash on the other side.” Then came Ursa to speak with her husband. Ozai did not even turn to face her. “What news do you have?”
“He has almost finished dinner. Why did you leave the banquet hall?” asked Ursa.
“Has he asked for me?” asked Ozai.
“Don’t you know he has?” asked Ursa.
“We can’t go on with this plan, the Fire Lord has just honored me, and I have earned the good opinion of all sorts of people. These glories should be worn now while they are fresh, not tossed away so soon.” replied Ozai.
“What happened to your dream? Was it drunk when it made these plans? And did it go to sleep, only to wake up green with sickness and pale fear at its former boldness? From now on, I’ll consider your love to be just as fickle. Are you afraid to be the same man in action as you are in your desires? Will you take the crown you want so badly, or will you live as a coward, always saying ‘I can’t!’ Once you say ‘I want to!’ Just like the poor bearded cat in the old story, who wanted two headed fish but dared not get her paws wet?” asked Ursa.
“I pray you, stop! I dare to do only what is proper for a man to do. He who dares to do more is no man at all.” replied Ozai.
“If not a man, then what beast made you share this plan with me? When you dared to do it, then you were a man. And if you dared to be greater than you are, then you would be so much more a man. Neither the time nor the place was right before, and yet you were ready to go ahead with it. Now the time and the place are perfect, but that very perfection alarms you! I have suckled a child and know how sweet it is to love the babe at my breast. But even as it smiled up at me, I would have plucked my nipple from its boneless gums and dashed its brains out if I had sworn to do it as you have sworn to do this.”
“But if we fail-“
“We, fail? Just lock your courage to your crossbow, and we can’t fail!” proclaimed Ursa. “When Azulon is asleep, the day’s hard journey assures that he will sleep soundly, I’ll ply his two chamberlains with wine and song so that their memory escapes like smoke through a chimney. When they lie asleep like hybrid pigs, so drunk that they’re dead to the world, what won’t you and I be able to do to the unguarded Azulon? What won’t we be able to pass off on his drunken servants, who will bear the guilt of our great crime?”
“May you breed men, children only! For your steely spirit should form nothing but males.” said Ozai. “Once we have covered the two servants with blood, and used their very daggers to commit the deed, won’t people believe that they were the culprits?”
“Who will dare think otherwise, when we grieve and clamor so loudly over Azulon’s death?” asked Ursa.
“I am settled and will exert every muscle in my body to commit this crime. Go now, and mock the night with your hospitality. Hide with a false, pleasant face what you know in your false, evil heart.” replied Ozai with an ominous look in his eyes.
End of Act One

Long Live Democracy!
Luna
Badgermole Serenader

Ah, the sound of dying.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011 05:22 pm »

Cheesy
Ozai + Macbeth = Awesome

Awesome.

A word of advice though, try having some spaces where the paragraphs start so there isn't a massive text wall. :]
It makes it easier on the eyes. :3

It's a classic sig that I can never let go of|I still keep my keeps :]|♥♥♥ Kuzai ♥ Urzai ♥♥♥|President of the Azulon Fan Club|
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2011 02:41 pm »

Act Two Scene One
Roku walked with young son, Oyaji, along the walls of the castle. Oyaji held a torch as he and his father walked along in the dark of the night.
“How goes the night, son?” asked Roku.
“The moon has set. The clock hasn’t struck yet.” replied Oyaji.
“She sets at twelve, right?” asked Roku.
“I think it’s later than that, sir.” replied Oyaji. Roku handed his twelve year old son his sword and his cloak which Oyaji took cautiously.
“Here, take my sword. The heavens are being stingy with their light, they have put out all their candles. Take this cloak, too. My weariness weighs on me like lead, and yet I cannot sleep. Merciful powers, keep away the nightmares that plague me when I rest!” A sound then came to Roku’s ears. He turned his head to his son. “Give me my sword.” He then turned his head to the shadows. “Who’s there?”
“A friend.” Ozai walked out of the shadows and into the fire light.
“You’re not asleep yet, sir? The Fire Lord’s in bed. He has been in an unusually good mood and has granted many gifts to your household and servants.” stated Roku. He handed the fifty-two year old Thane of Tyro a diamond. “This diamond he sends to your wife, for her hospitality.”
“Because we were unprepared for the King’s visit, we weren’t able to entertain him as well as we would have liked.” said Ozai.
“All is well.” said Roku. “I dreamed of the three witches last night. At least part of what they told you has come true.”
“I don’t think about them now. And yet, when we have an hour to spare I would speak more of it, if you’re willing.” stated Ozai.
“At your leisure.” said Roku.
“If you will support me when the time comes, there will be something in it for you.” promised Ozai.
“So long as I can do it with a clear conscience, I will support you.” replied Roku.
“Rest easy in the meantime.”
“Thank you, sir. You do the same.” And with that, Roku and Oyaji departed for their chambers, and Hakoda, Ozai’s servant approached his master.
“Go and tell your mistress to strike the bell when my drink is ready. Then get yourself to bed.” instructed Ozai. And then Hakoda left as quickly as he came. Ozai looked around and then silently as if out of nowhere a dagger appeared to him, floating in the air. “Is this a dagger I see in front of me, the handle pointing toward my hand? Come, let me hold thee.” Ozai stretched a hand toward it but pulled his hand back when he found his fingers go through the dagger. “I do not have you, but I still see you. Fateful apparition, isn’t it possible to touch you as well as see you? Or are you nothing more than a dagger of the mind, a hallucination from my fevered brain? I see you still, and you look as real as the dagger I’m drawing now. You beckon me to go where I was going already, where I was to use an instrument just like you. Either my eyes are now the fools of my other senses, or else they’re greater than all the rest. I see you still, and on your blood and handle I see drops of blood that were not there before. There’s no dagger here. It’s the bloody business at hand that gives me these visions. Now half the world is asleep, seemingly dead and abused by wicked dreams. Now witches offer their sacrifices to their goddess Azula, and old man Murder, roused by the howls of his wolf, stalks hungrily toward his intended, like a ghost. You firm and solid earth, don’t listen to the direction of my steps. I fear the very stones will chatter my location and break the terrible stillness of this moment, a silence that is so appropriate for my task. While I stay here talking, Azulon lives. The more I talk, the more my courage cools.” A bell rang, and Ozai knew he was being called to his bloody duty. “I go, and it is as good as done. The bell calls me. Hear not the bell, Azulon, for it summons you to Heaven, or to Hell.”

Long Live Democracy!
Jall
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011 02:50 pm »

Act Two Scene Two
Ursa danced in her camber, drunk with happiness, a goblet in her left hand.
“That which made the servants drunk has made me bold. The liquor that quenched their thirst has given me fire.” said Ursa. “Listen! Quiet! That was the Cat Owl that shrieked, wishing a “good night” that tolls the executioner’s bell. Ozai must be at the task now. The doors to Azulon’s chamber are open, and the sodden servants make a mockery of their duties with their snores: I have drugged their drinks so that you cannot tell if they live or are dead.” Ursa then heard a sound at the door. “Who’s there? What is it? Oh no! I am afraid that they have woken up and prevented it from happening. For us to attempt murder and not succeed would ruin us.” The sound of a bell then sounded. “Listen! I left the chamberlain’s daggers where Ozai would find them. He could not miss them. If Azulon hadn’t reminded me of my father when I saw him sleeping, I would have killed him myself.” Then entered Ozai, with two bloody daggers in his bloody hands. “My husband!” She ran to her husband as Ozai dropped his daggers, and embraced him.
“I have done the deed. Did you hear a noise?” asked Ozai.
“I heard the cat owl scream and the crickets cry. Did you not speak?” asked Ursa.
“When?” asked Ozai.
“Now.” replied Ursa.
“As I descended?” asked Ozai.
“Yes.” replied Ursa.
“Who’s sleeping in the second chamber?” asked Ozai.
“Sozin.” replied Ursa.
“This is a sorry sight.” said Ozai.
“That’s a foolish thing to say.” stated Ursa.
“One of the servants laughed in his sleep, and one cried, “Murder!” and they woke each other. I stood and listened, but then they said their prayers and went back to sleep.” told Ozai.
“Iroh and Sozin are asleep in the same room.” informed Ursa.
“One servant cried, “God bless us!” and the other replied, “Amen!”, as if they had seen me with these bloody hang man’s hands. Listening to their fear, I could not reply “Amen” when they said “God bless us!” continued Ozai.
“Don’t think of it.” said Ursa.
“But couldn’t I say “Amen”? I had the most desperate need of God’s blessing, but the word “Amen” stuck in my throat.”
“You can’t think of our deeds that way, that is the way to drive us mad.” said Ursa.
“I heard a voice cry, “Sleep no more! Ozai does murder sleep.” Innocent sleep, that soothes our worries, that kills each day, that relieves weary laborers and heals hurt minds. Sleep, the main course in life’s great feast, chief nourisher of nature.”
“What are you talking about?” asked Ursa.
“The voice kept crying, “Sleep no more!” through all the house. “Ozai has murdered sleep, and therefore Ozai will sleep no more!” finished Ozai.
“Who was it that cried this? Why, worthy Thane, you make yourself become weak when you think like this.” said Ursa.  “Go, get some water and wash this bloody evidence from your hands. Why did you carry these daggers out of the room? They must be found there. Go, carry them back and then smear the sleepy guards with the blood.”
“I can’t go back. I’m afraid even to think about what I’ve done. I dare not look at it again.” muttered Ozai.
“Coward! Give me the daggers. The dead and the sleeping can’t hurt you any more than pictures can, only children fear the picture of the devil. If Ozai bleeds, I’ll anoint the guards with it, for they must seem like guilty ones.” Ursa left the chamber, with the daggers to carry out what Ozai should have done. Then knocking came to Ozai’s ears.
“Where is that knocking coming from? What’s happening to me, that every noise terrifies me?” asked Ozai. He then turned to a bowl of water to wash his hands. “Whose hands are these? Ha! They’re plucking out my eyes! Can all the water in the ocean wash this blood clean from my hands? No, this hand would stain the seas scarlet, turning the green waters red.” Ozai finished washing his hands as Ursa returned, as did the knocking.
“My hands are as red as yours, but I would be ashamed if my heart were as white.” said Ursa. “I hear knocking at the south entry. Back to our chambers. A little water will wash away our guilt. It is so easy! Your resolve has abandoned you. Listen! More knocking! Put on your nightgown, in case someone comes and sees that we’re awake. Don’t let yourself get so lost in your thoughts.”
“I’d rather fall unconscious than think any more of my deeds.” stated Ozai. He then spoke to the knocker. “Wake Azulon with your knocking. I wish that you could.” And so Ozai and his wife went to bed.

Long Live Democracy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: