Dec 17, 2017 04:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 35 (21.3%)
9 - 20 (12.2%)
8 - 38 (23.2%)
7 - 38 (23.2%)
6 - 14 (8.5%)
5 - 10 (6.1%)
4 - 4 (2.4%)
3 - 1 (0.6%)
2 - 1 (0.6%)
1 - 3 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 160

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [117] The Northern Air Temple  (Read 13793 times)
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #75 on: Oct 17, 2010 03:26 pm »

There is also Fear and Ignorance, you can't just blanket them all under the same "They follow the Fire Lord and thus are evil." There are those that tried to defy and were made examples of. Those that saw the examples of that were too afraid to disobey lest they get the same. There is also Ignorance where the soldiers and the like are lied too, you'll see the Fire nation propaganda machine later on.

True.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  Speaking of machines, no, I did not realize the implications of the drawing, nor did I even notice it.  

It increases their Fire Bending abilities and I think allows them to perform on a level they couldn't before. As pointed out SMBH the Fire Benders can do some things you haven't seen yet. I imagine under the Comet most will be able to do the things needed to get to the Air Benders. Also I am not sure on the timing of events if the Air Benders were aware that the FN had delcared war yet on the EN or if Sozin waited until the comet...

Wait, so deflecting lightning isn't the only extra power they have?  Oh man...

Thinking about there being an unknown footpath reminds me of a quote from Dumbledore "Surprising how shortsighted invisibility makes one." Being so high up and isolated and able to fly to where they wanted to go there would really be no reason for them to see ground ways up to the temples.

I see.  That's also another thing I didn't take into account.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010 05:22 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #76 on: Oct 17, 2010 04:27 pm »

It increases their Fire Bending abilities and I think allows them to perform on a level they couldn't before. As pointed out SMBH the Fire Benders can do some things you haven't seen yet. I imagine under the Comet most will be able to do the things needed to get to the Air Benders. Also I am not sure on the timing of events if the Air Benders were aware that the FN had delcared war yet on the EN or if Sozin waited until the comet...

Wait, so deflecting lightning isn't the only extra power they have?  Oh man...

To quote Roku:

"Stronger than you can even imagine."

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #77 on: Oct 18, 2010 07:11 pm »

After hearing about your episode logs, this is the first one I came to read cos I've always loved this one despite it receiving a fair amount of criticism. I can understand the main criticisms (which you outlined) but none of them have ever irked me in the slightest. Its just a good example of the 'one-off' episodes I tend to really enjoy (which season 1 had quite a few of). They don't really contribute a lot to the overall story arc but I find often find them to be the most easily rewatchable as single episodes (unlike season 2 where, while stronger overall, I tend to have to watch episodes in groups because its more serialised).
Nychus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

jedimr_thomas@hotmail.com stegonychus
« Reply #78 on: Oct 19, 2010 12:19 pm »

Well SMBH already disproved the jeong jeong theory, but even if he was of the right age, you shouldn't forget that he trained or at least tried to train Zhao, implying that he wazs still part of the army/navy ata that time

Writer of the Azulyssey
KannoAirbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #79 on: Nov 06, 2010 09:30 pm »

Plus the Northern Air Temple had the history of his people, and that was gone, completley gone. I would be pretty pissed off if that happened to my culture.

I thought it was noble of him to later understand the new inhabitants of the temple but...I think it was still wrong what they did. It was a sacred place. As Aang said, "Nature knows when to stop." I mean...they could of worked around the wonderful paintings and sacred statues. They didnt have to drill holes right through them.... If it was me, I would have been reaalllyyy pissed.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #80 on: Nov 06, 2010 10:46 pm »

Not as angry as some of the more...bloodthirsty posters in the early posts of this thread I hope...
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #81 on: Nov 06, 2010 10:51 pm »

^ You mean that one guy from three years ago?

I'm pretty sure he's calmed down by now.

Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #82 on: Nov 06, 2010 10:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure he's calmed down by now.

Don't ever underestimate the anger of a pissed off fan. Wink

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #83 on: Nov 06, 2010 11:15 pm »

No, it was two guys who wanted Aang to murder the Mechanist (is it ok if I call him Reno from now on?).  First was NineTails, then there was Provolon.  Also, there was another guy called Twilight who wanted Aang to quote "lay down the *****-slap" on the Mechanist.

Also, I want to give a status update on the progress of my log for Episode 19 and 20, as it's shaping up to be a more complicated endeavor than most of the logs, mainly because I have to summarize my overall impressions of the Season, the characters, the themes, and all of that as well as my impression of the finale.

Where do you think it is most appropriate to place it?  The finale thread, or the Episode 118 thread?
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2010 11:19 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #84 on: Nov 06, 2010 11:33 pm »

^ Status updates don't really belong anywhere. But I guess you could post it in the finale thread if it's something like "I just recently watched the finale and I've been thinking <insert explanations here>".

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #85 on: Nov 06, 2010 11:36 pm »

I'll just wait then.  The log will probably be finished in a few days.  Two if I work extremely fast.
Shard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

DragonRoseShard
« Reply #86 on: Nov 07, 2010 07:51 pm »

Thanks for the update Smiley
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #87 on: Nov 08, 2010 01:38 am »

You're welcome.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #88 on: Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am »

I liked this episode, did aang just think he could disappear and expect everything to be the same. Other than that we get to see another air temple, some intresting people, and we get to see sokka use his brain power. It also adds alot to the plot we actually find out who is giving the fire nation their technology.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #89 on: Nov 09, 2010 12:06 am »

Was you mean.  At least, I HOPE I'm correct on that point.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #90 on: Nov 09, 2010 12:18 am »

Yeah i mean was, but this episode is very important later on in the series.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #91 on: Apr 08, 2011 06:52 pm »

This wasn't a very good episode, but it's important and watchable.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: Apr 08, 2011 10:46 pm »

I've never understood the dislike for this one Undecided
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #93 on: Apr 09, 2011 11:18 am »

^Me, either.  I personally found it very enjoyable. xD

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #94 on: Apr 09, 2011 01:10 pm »

I also like it.

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #95 on: Dec 29, 2011 04:18 am »

I light-heartedly watched this episode. (The credits are rolling as I type.) And I gotta say, what's with all the bug refrences?  First Sokka pulls a bug out of his pocket (and puts it back in *yuck*).  Momo eating bugs in the air. Teo saying watch out for them.  Katara getting a bug in her mouth. The Mechanist's lightning bugs.  And the hermit crab at the end (techncally not a bug, but very much like one.) Am I missing anything? Well, anyways...

Although it's not one of my favorites, it's not a bad episode, so I gave it a 7.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #96 on: Jan 29, 2012 04:07 am »

^I also noticed that. Perhaps they just had bugs on the brain when they wrote the episode.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Boris
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #97 on: Apr 06, 2012 06:39 pm »

You know what I really don't understand? And this has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I'm too lazy to read. An Airbender is the only person who can open those doors, so how on earth are those fire nation weapons already inside it when it shouldn't have been open for over a hundred years, how did somebody get in there to put those weapons there?

Have I missing somethign the six times I've watched it through? Because it's never been clear to me.

Keeper of the cabbage merchants hat and Appa's Roar.
Facebook (message me and tell me you're from here.)
RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smellerbee's twin and first ever Borra shipper~

« Reply #98 on: Apr 06, 2012 06:41 pm »

You know what I really don't understand? And this has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I'm too lazy to read. An Airbender is the only person who can open those doors, so how on earth are those fire nation weapons already inside it when it shouldn't have been open for over a hundred years, how did somebody get in there to put those weapons there?

Have I missing somethign the six times I've watched it through? Because it's never been clear to me.

Only an airbender can go through the door; only an inventor can drill through the floor.

I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
ME GUSTA KORRA NATION: http://sot.ag/MzkzMjE1/
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #99 on: Oct 05, 2013 11:47 am »

^ Answered my most pressing question about the episode.  I was going to lead with that, but... huh.  That makes sense. 

Anyway, not one of my favorites but not terrible either.  It posed an interesting question about what happens when tradition gets in the way of progress.  There are relics that should be honored and preserved, but what if it's at the expense of progress or even basic survival?  How do we strike that balance?  Especially when it concerns a group of refugees who have no particular cultural ties to these artifacts and just need to survive? 

It's a great question to ask, but I;m not sure it really gets answered completely.  Because it starts exploring the issue, but then... boom.  Fire nation weapons factory twist.  It comes to a climax with some pretty spectacular scenes of the refugees fending off invading Fire Nation soldiers (Katara flipping tanks over with waterbending was pretty impressive) and then... everything's fine.  I guess it does resolve the issue somewhat subtly with Aang recognizing their right to call this place home, but I just felt that a little more could have been done with it. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: