Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen on Avatar  (Read 259947 times)
felinoel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Order of the White Lotus Grandmaster

readerschoice16@hotmail.com the+3mj readerschoice16@sbcglobal.net
« Reply #275 on: Jul 22, 2008 01:06 am »

i hate avatar
Interesting choice of a username then
why do people waste their time just to do that?
Boredom?

Who knocks at the garden gate?
One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries.
gaia
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #276 on: Jul 23, 2008 09:14 pm »

It says that avatar will die and his bones will rot and he we be no more and his entire life will ahev been a waist of time, with everyone he knows surcuming to the same fate, your whole life is a waist of time,

p.s. tor is very useful if you ever want to use the interweb
TheGreatExpression
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #277 on: Jul 25, 2008 12:45 pm »

Icy, you are amazing. Now whenever I watch our DVDs with my brothers, I'm constantly pausing it and going "I KNOW WHAT THAT SAYS!" They're getting sick of it.  Grin

Hey, I was wondering if you could figure out what's written on the Season 3 DVD box set? I scanned the thread, and I didn't see anything on it, so correct me if you've already discussed it.

.visit www.whatismae.com to learn more.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #278 on: Jul 25, 2008 02:47 pm »

^ There's a bit of info in a a thread in the Spoilers board. It's a post that used to be in this thread but I moved to the spoilers board because it could have been spoilery.

This is the post:

^Oh wow, those are difficult to read, mainly because Aang is blocking some of them. And the contrast isn't too great. Here's what I got so far:
The lines are read from top to bottom, and I assume from right to left, as is custom. Seeing as how I can't tell from the content what way it goes, I'll take them as right to left.

?煞兇滔 陂 or 破 長空
奧載暴 ???窮
安昂?????
干戈自?鳴?終

煞 (shā) means to stop, or put a halt to, 兇 (xiōng) means evil, 滔 (tāo) means flooding or overflowing. It's unlikely that it means "overflowing evil", because in Chinese, the adjective goes in front of the word it's modifying. 長 means long (cháng) or to grow (zhăng), and 空 (kōng) is empty or emptiness.

奧載 (ào zài) is just Ozai. 暴 (bào) means forceful or violent. Combined with other characters, it can also mean oppressing. 窮 (qióng) means poor.

安昂 (ān áng) is Aang.

干戈 (gān gē) is a fixed term. The first character means to interfere, the second one means spear (as in the weapon). Together, it probably means to block off, or to prevent an attack. 自 (zì) is oneself or alone. 鳴 (míng) is the sound that birds and bugs make. In here, it probably means loud, or with a heralding sound. 終 (zhōng) is ending.

Yeah, I'll try and decipher the rest when I have more time.

Qi

Post moved here from the "Translations..." thread because of it's possible spoilery nature. ~SMBH

And another post by Icy:

Hmm, the poster looks much better on my laptop. Here is what I deciphered so far.

彗煞凶滔破长空
To stop the Comet’s surging impact through the vast sky

奧载暴(?)(?)(?)穷
Ozai violently(?) (words covered by Aang’s body, Ozai probably does something). The last word can be poor/limited/endless/exhausted.

安昂英(?)(?)(?)(?)
Aang heroically/heroism/hero (can’t see any more words)

干戈自兴鳴(?)终
Fight off one’s happiness (Aang finally let’s go off Katara?) . There’s a word which means bird sound there… And finally, the last word is end.

Why did they blend the words into the background?! It’s so hard to see.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 02:48 pm by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
H_BOMB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #279 on: Jul 26, 2008 05:06 pm »

Well, this is less of a text translation and more of a vocals translation. In the recent episode of the finale does anyone know or have an idea of what the ominous music in the background when Aang swims off to the lion-turtle island translates to. My sister is a Chinese language student and she thinks the language is Chinese but she doesn't know enough to translate it. I also remember hearing a 'xin' and a 'fu' in there somewhere, any ideas?
kenb215
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #280 on: Jul 26, 2008 07:55 pm »

Well, this is less of a text translation and more of a vocals translation. In the recent episode of the finale does anyone know or have an idea of what the ominous music in the background when Aang swims off to the lion-turtle island translates to. My sister is a Chinese language student and she thinks the language is Chinese but she doesn't know enough to translate it. I also remember hearing a 'xin' and a 'fu' in there somewhere, any ideas?

I can't translate it, but I know that that chanting was used (at least) two other times in the series. The first time was in Avatar Roku, when Zhao's troops went into position to firebend at Aang towards the end. The second is very faint during The Siege of the North just after Aang enters the Avatar State. The first time is clearer and may be easier to translate, if it is Chinese.

Also, I think I found something from the first season that was never translated. A single word on the sleeve of Sokka's Kyoshi Warrior uniform.
Waterbending USApotterfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stand in the Rain

« Reply #281 on: Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm »

I seem to remember reading that it says "Kyo," the first character of Avatar Kyoshi's name, but I could be wrong. Smiley

Avvie by cavesareforshipping, sig by me
Keeper of Music Night on the ship, fire squats, Zuko's "You're just a big blah" and "The scar's NOT on the wrong side"
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #282 on: Jul 26, 2008 11:43 pm »

The first time was in Avatar Roku, when Zhao's troops went into position to firebend at Aang towards the end. The second is very faint during The Siege of the North just after Aang enters the Avatar State. The first time is clearer and may be easier to translate, if it is Chinese.
I listened and replayed the moment in 108, there is no chanting, it's just instruments playing which sounds like chanting. Yes, there is very faint chanting in 120 but it is overshadowed by background music.

In the recent episode of the finale does anyone know or have an idea of what the ominous music in the background when Aang swims off to the lion-turtle island translates to.
Whoa. Err... I listened to it, it sounds like a Buddhist chant. Please note that I italized the word "sounds" as I'm not too sure whether it is a chant or it is just 'gibberish'. Here is what I think the chant says. Do not pelt me with stones if the words are not correct. Buddhist chants can be said in various languages so it may not necessarily be chanted in the Chinese language.

Edit: With the help of my Mum, she helped me out with some words I got wrong on the first try. She also isn't entirely sure whether it's a chant or just some music...

Namu Ami (or Nan Mo A Mi in Chinese pinyin) Tuo Fu Xing Ming

Namu Ami is something like Amitabha

Tuo Fu kinda means entrust.

Xing Ming means life.

I'm not sure what is said typical Buddhist chants but I think the chants are supposed to be somewhat like a prayer or as a form of encouragement to someone. I think so. I don't know, maybe it says/means "Amithaba, I entrust my life to you. Keep me safe."?

I'm pretty sure it is not Namu Ami Tuo Fo (Amitabha Buddha) because the last few words doesn't sound like Tuo Fo.

Or maybe we are all thinking too much. =X

Also, I think I found something from the first season that was never translated. A single word on the sleeve of Sokka's Kyoshi Warrior uniform.

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/104/329.jpg
I read somewhere the 京 on their sleeves is "Kyo" in Japanese. And their fans have the word 士, is "Shi". So put 京士 together and you get "Kyoshi".
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:19 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
kenb215
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #283 on: Jul 27, 2008 01:14 pm »

I listened and replayed the moment in 108, there is no chanting, it's just instruments playing which sounds like chanting.

I meant the few seconds before Zhao says "When those doors open unleash all your firepower." It sounds exactly the same (to me). It's clear at first, then repeats in the background for several seconds.
Colorbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo, the Warrior

« Reply #284 on: Jul 29, 2008 03:55 pm »

They have the music chanting in several episodes. I think it's some sort of horn, and maybe a voice modified by a computer.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2008 04:05 pm by Colorbender » Logged

Keeper of Toph's "You're the man, twinkle toes!" and Stage Toph's "My name is Toph, because it sounds like tough. And that's what I am."
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #285 on: Aug 30, 2008 07:26 am »

what does the chanting music say during the part when Aang was walking towards the lion-turtle?
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #286 on: Aug 30, 2008 07:46 am »

what does the chanting music say during the part when Aang was walking towards the lion-turtle?
Why don't you look 3 posts up from you? It's already up there on the same page.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
jeremy tian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #287 on: Aug 31, 2008 07:48 am »

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/AvatarKyoshi.jpg

The right column is clear, but the left one has mistakes in it. It reads: 愿吾民文化永(?)於世界暴致
In basic, this means "Hope that our culture (something, either ever or never) with/under a world dictatorship". The unknown character is really hard to decipher, it could be 絕, but that won't make too much sense.
It should be"愿吾民文化永絕于世界暴政",you are right,but the sentence is not very formal.In Chinese it means "Hope that our people will never suffer the despotism"。I think the word "文化" is not necessary
jeremy tian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #288 on: Aug 31, 2008 08:02 am »

Here is the translation for the sign Ba Sing Se University & the tea shop in City of Walls & Secrets

9)
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/BSSU.jpg

I know the words are a bit hard to see but I'm pretty sure they are 永(?)城大学. 永 means perpetually/forever/always. 城 means city/wall/city wall. I guess it means city. 大学 means University. 大 means big. 学 means learn/knowledge/study/school/college.

I've been trying to figure out the 3 characters used to make 'Ba Sing Se', but I can't seem to connect the character '永' with the pronunciation 'Ba'. It is definitely not Mandarin, Cantonese or Teochew. Judging from the rest of the characters, it is definitely Chinese, I just can't figure out which dialect it is in.

The second character is also killing me! I just can't make it out.

Any ideas?

The character is "固",it means firm、solid or  strong。So together "永固城" means ever firm city (maybe you can translate it in a better way,cuz my English is not very good)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #289 on: Aug 31, 2008 08:06 am »

It should be"愿吾民文化永絕于世界暴政",
Yay! You finally helped me solved the missing word after "永". I think tyranny is also acceptable since Avatar Kyoshi said that in her dialogue.

Noted for the Chinese word for Ba Sing Se. And please do not double post. Use the modify button if you wish to add on something.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #290 on: Aug 31, 2008 01:42 pm »

Are you guys actually typing "?" or is my browser stupid?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #291 on: Aug 31, 2008 08:48 pm »

Are you guys actually typing "?" or is my browser stupid?
What do you mean? You mean you see a lot of "HuhHuh?" together? That means that you don't have the software to view Chinese text or you didn't switch to unicode to view the words. You can check the first post to see how to toggle on unicode.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #292 on: Sep 01, 2008 06:47 am »

Shoot! I think I'm a little late for this...

From The Ember Island Players

56)

Title says: 冰山上的男孩 which is like what Sokka says, "The Boy in the Iceberg". Do not literally translate 冰山 as ice mountain. When 2 words are put together, the meaning changes.

The bottom text is read vertically from right to left.

土国著名剧作家
The Earth Kingdom's famous playwright...

浦安添新作搜集
... Pu An Tian's (I'm using pinyin here) new work has information gathered...

全球有关降世神通
... about the Avatar from all over the World...

资料由南极冰山全
... Sources include the icebergs in the South Pole to the whole...

土国首都. 资料来自
... Earth Kingdom capital. Information were from...

牧民歌手,海盗,战犯
... nomad singers, pirates, war criminals...

和菜贩. 由余烬岛剧员主演
... and a vegetable merchant. Starring The Ember Island Players in the leading roles.

(I decided not to put the last 3 words on their own 'cos they are connected to the previous few words and cutting them makes it hard to translate.)

Some other stuff I didn't notice from episodes in Season 2.

Continuation from City of Walls and Secrets

57)

南大门
Southern Gate. As always, 大门 does not literally mean "big door".

Continuation from The Tales of Ba Sing Se

58 )

贵妇美容院
Noble women beauty palour

59)

快乐动物园
Happy Zoo. (How ironic...)

And this comes to the end of the translations in Avatar: The Last Airbender unless I find some I missed out.

arasam22
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

if you need me, I'm probably in the sig game...

« Reply #293 on: Sep 01, 2008 09:27 am »

^aw, that's sad. Sad

but that is SOO cool how what is on thep oster basically matches what sokka says when he is reading it!  such detail! seriously, there will never ever be a show like avatar again.

SRF: Jan 5-July 19, 2008
Requests open for the summer!
jetlives55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #294 on: Sep 01, 2008 12:49 pm »

Wow, that is really cool.

Team Avatar is back!
tj00199
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #295 on: Sep 14, 2008 11:03 am »

i love it
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #296 on: Sep 23, 2008 01:11 pm »

Thank you Icy_Ashford! I always wanted to know what the poster really said in EIP! thank you! We really appriciate all of your effort translating Grin

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #297 on: Sep 24, 2008 05:16 am »

Translation of Tom Tom's ransomnote in Return to Omashu

31)
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/TomTomRansom.jpg

懦弱之拐人
我愿意你卑贱的布米王换取我儿子汤安全
正午会于城巅石像下交换

Description: Cowardly kidnapper, I agree to exchange your lowly King Bumi for my son's safe return. The exchange will be held precisely at noon tomorrow at the bottom of Summit Rock Statue.

One character is off, as far as I can tell. The third character in the second column is 以, not 意. So it means "with". 愿 can apparently also stand for 願 (which, incidentally, has the same pronunciation), and means "willing to" in this case.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:20 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #298 on: Sep 24, 2008 05:29 am »

Normally yuàn yì is 愿意 with 意 as the 2nd character. The meaning is still "willing to". The dictionaries all come up with 意 as the 2nd character when I checked them. I don't know why the 2nd character in there is yǐ, 以. Maybe it was mis-written? I also noticed that the character was different on the first time but I didn't really think much of it.

Kataang1337
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Amazing avvie and sig by Maricela! ♥Back again♥

« Reply #299 on: Sep 24, 2008 05:53 am »

Nope. I can tell it is definitely not mis-written.

我愿(意)以你卑贱的布米王换取我儿子汤(的/之)安全
I am willing to use your lowly King Bumi to exchange for my son Tom Tom's safety.

See it now?

Waterwriter144's #1 fangirl!
Keeper of Katara's Feelings for Aang*Aang's Determination*Katara's EK Outfit*Kataang Finale Kiss
Quote from: Rava
You're the dA Avatard art hunter Smiley
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: