Oct 15, 2019 12:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen on Avatar  (Read 246602 times)
FlamingBabiez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Many thanks to Mike & Bryan for a great story!

« Reply #50 on: Nov 13, 2006 09:11 pm »

I noticed that Distant Horizon has not covered Siege of The North Part 2 which has some texts in it. Here goes.

38)
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/Gateway.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/Gateway2.jpg

The word carved on both gateways of the Human World and Spirit World is the same. It is 水, meaning water/fluid.

39)
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN/Ancientscroll.jpg

This is written in Classical form so I might not be able to translate it that well... Words on the right column are various ways to write the word 神, meaning God/Spirit/Deity. I do not really have a clue what the words in the left column are but the middle word is 水. See entry 38.

So that's all for now. Now we wait for the last 3 episodes and Season 3. Smiley
lol, great shot of Zhao...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:25 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2006 09:14 pm »

It was the only screenshot where everyone could see the carving clearly. And for laughs too. Smiley RIP in your watery grave Zhao.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #52 on: Nov 18, 2006 07:07 pm »

I have not seen the new episode yet so I'll translated whatever I can based on the screenshots alone. Toph's scroll from The Earth King

40)

北方拓芙. Toph Beifong
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:03 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
PapaRoavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ICallKyo made me the avvy and the sig

« Reply #53 on: Nov 30, 2006 08:44 pm »

DUDE! U r t3h r0x0rz!!!!!

Whee, I have a MySpace account!

Creator of the 'Vending Machine' thread and the 'Five Word Story' thread.
OvanTheRebirth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do you want to know the truth?

« Reply #54 on: Nov 30, 2006 08:47 pm »

DUDE! U r t3h r0x0rz!!!!!

0.o Engish please?

Icy_Ashford, thank you for all the translating, it's really cool how it's all real. ^_^

"Traveler, take this to heart.  It is always darkest before dawn..."
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #55 on: Dec 01, 2006 10:22 am »

If only we could get someone to translate leetspeak Wink

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Avalon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

When times seem desperate, Mind conquers matter

« Reply #56 on: Dec 01, 2006 10:25 am »

i think i can do that:

Icy Ashford, You Are The Best

with Dude as: Name of person
&
r0x0rz: you rock, you are great, you are the best

Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home

Rest in peace, Mako, You will always be remembered
alexandravan5
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Snakes

alexandravan5
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2006 03:42 pm »

how did you do that?

In my world, Mai never existed.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2006 08:24 pm »

Thank you for your compliments! Smiley *Patiently waits for the screenshots of the finale*

how did you do that?
Whom are you referring to? Avalon translating leetspeak or me translating the chinese texts?

Reve
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Dec 03, 2006 02:36 pm »

Wow! Did you type those characters using Hanyupingying?

Great work ^_^
PaLi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2006 03:10 am »

Re:  the 'juk' that Iroh made in The Guru

I believe that 'juk' or whatever it is is porridge, as the word for porridge in Cantonese is somewhere in between jook and johk.  Plus it's white.

Classical:  Music for the ears.
Oldies:  Music for the soul.
Rap:  Music for the tone-deaf.
Paul Bunyan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Dec 05, 2006 06:29 am »

This pretty much proves that people in the Avatar world speak Chinese. I can only read a little of that because I'm close to failing my Mandarin exams.

PaLi:粥
It's also pronounced as 'Zhok' in Teo chew, it's 'Zhou' in Mandarin.
Yes, I am trying to redeem my useless Chinese. -__-'
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006 06:34 am by Paul Bunyan » Logged
Stravagante
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Dec 05, 2006 07:43 am »

Wow, all those translations are really cool Icy_Ashford! Thanks for translating them!

Great sig by cheyanne! Thanks!
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm »

Very funny if you look at there names.. Esspecially that one of zukko, come back to life..
Something has to do with the spiritual crisis?

I like Momo's name...touch touch seems very appropriate!

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Tien
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The true Champion

« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2006 04:15 pm »

If I can throw a spanner in the works...who says the Avatar world works on the northern hemisphere calendar (though being created by Americans it probably does)?  Summer for me is December through February.  The Avatar world IS a globe, right?  Seasons can't possibly occur simultaneously in all four nations...though they probably will out of simplicity...

Let's say the avatar world is round, couldn't it be that the planet is very large, but the land is just a little dot on it, so that there is almost no time differents.

It's just a theory Smiley

because the traveltime between the places that the gAang is making is very short.

but I can't support that because we don't really know a timespan :S
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #65 on: Dec 06, 2006 04:45 am »

I was on a holiday for the past 4 days, 1 update from The Guru will be up soon. Sorry for the delay.

Did you type those characters using Hanyupingying?
Yes, all of the chinese words are typed in HYPY

Re:  the 'juk' that Iroh made in The Guru

I believe that 'juk' or whatever it is is porridge, as the word for porridge in Cantonese is somewhere in between jook and johk.  Plus it's white.

I'm not too sure about what porridge/congee is in Cantonese but the white stuff Iroh was cooking does look like it.

RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #66 on: Dec 06, 2006 05:53 pm »

Let's say the avatar world is round, couldn't it be that the planet is very large, but the land is just a little dot on it, so that there is almost no time differents.

That doesn't really work either.  the difference in seasons in the two hemispheres are caused by the tilt of the planet, as one hemisphere is farther away then the other.  And we know this doesn't all take place in one hemisphere because we see both poles. Maybe the avatar world isn't tilted, but then there wouldn't be seasons period-unless of course the planet has an irregular orbit and varies its distance from the sun.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Tien
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The true Champion

« Reply #67 on: Dec 06, 2006 06:42 pm »

That doesn't really work either.  the difference in seasons in the two hemispheres are caused by the tilt of the planet, as one hemisphere is farther away then the other.  And we know this doesn't all take place in one hemisphere because we see both poles. Maybe the avatar world isn't tilted, but then there wouldn't be seasons period-unless of course the planet has an irregular orbit and varies its distance from the sun.

Good point, never thought of the poles, And I thought of more suns, but there is only 1.
It could also be that "the blackest day for the fire nation" is taking place at the fire nation.
cuz they have to invade to defeat ozai.

and with the comet that is coming... it could cirkel clear around the world, with firenation following it right around conquering everything
CannedBean
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Dec 06, 2006 07:54 pm »

these are way too cool! i guess i can say my boyfriend is wrong about the letter from xie and the boulder (he said katara couldn't read that, she was just makin stuff up...though i know it wasn't REALLY true ^_^)

i wish i could learn chinese, but i'm too lazy

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2006 02:40 am »

Slogan for Iroh's tea shop in The Guru

41)

宁三天不食莫一日无茶
Description: You can live without food for 3 days but you can't live without tea for 1 day

And this post sums up all translations for Season 2. *Dons battle gear to face Season 3*
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:03 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #70 on: Dec 07, 2006 02:50 am »

Next picture contains the date of the upcoming Solar Eclipse. Don't read it if you don't wish to know when it will happen.

22)
link to picture

Citizens of the Avatar World would experience the solar eclipse on the 1st day of the 8th Month, Year of the Monkey. Weather condition of that day, fierce wind.

Innermost dial says 八 which means 8.

2nd innermost dial says 一 which means 1.

3rd innermost dial says 气武. 气 means air. 武 means military/fierce/valiant.
I remembered your translation when I heard General How say 'The Day of Black Sun'  would happen "exactly 2 months from today". This means that when the finale ended it was June 1st or 2nd in the Avatar verse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 02:26 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #71 on: Dec 07, 2006 03:09 am »

I remembered your translation when I heard General How say 'The Day of Black Sun'  would happen "exactly 2 months from today". This means that when the finale ended it was June 1st or 2nd in the Avatar verse.

I thought so too. Now we know that the gAang have 2 months to prepare for the eclipse (if they have any armies to back them up) and Aang has to learn firebending within such a short period of time! Season 3 better not start with the story 3 weeks after the Season 2 finale. Looks like Season 3 will consist of 60+ days for the gAang.

Yong Wing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2006 03:28 am »

I remembered your translation when I heard General How say 'The Day of Black Sun'  would happen "exactly 2 months from today". This means that when the finale ended it was June 1st or 2nd in the Avatar verse.

I thought so too. Now we know that the gAang have 2 months to prepare for the eclipse (if they have any armies to back them up) and Aang has to learn firebending within such a short period of time! Season 3 better not start with the story 3 weeks after the Season 2 finale. Looks like Season 3 will consist of 60+ days for the gAang.

Not to mention the comet at the end of the summer on August 30th! So that's 90 days' deadline!

Sig by Sedai ^_^
SmallTiger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Dec 17, 2006 12:15 am »

This is so interesting!  Thank you, thank you!
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #74 on: Dec 17, 2006 01:04 am »

Not to mention the comet at the end of the summer on August 30th! So that's 90 days' deadline!
20 episodes over a span of 3 months! Ok, that sounds a bit awkward... I hope they don't skip a few weeks after each episode to catch up with the time line.

This is so interesting!  Thank you, thank you!
Your welcome

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: