Dec 11, 2017 05:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen on Avatar  (Read 161778 times)
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #375 on: Jan 04, 2011 06:50 am »

well, if it wasn't for the target audience, they probably would have spoken chinese or another asian language aswell.

imho the chinese texts were not 'just' there, they are a major part in it. they could have gone with plain english, english in a asian stylised font, scribbly asian looking fake text, or just avoid text at all. instead they went all out and used written text, in chinese characters, that actually had the bonus of meaning something related to the story, characters, or object it was written on. and they went as far as zooming in on the texts on occation aswell, making sure you saw it

reminds me of Firefly (where they actually spoke chinese Smiley )

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #376 on: Jan 04, 2011 07:19 am »

reminds me of Firefly (where they actually spoke chinese Smiley )
Badly pronounced Mandarin Chinese but still funny nonetheless. >_<

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #377 on: Jan 04, 2011 08:46 am »

hey they got 6 out of ten points just for coming up with that idea in my book. and it makes sense too, with current rate of expansion, the chinese populace will burst out of its seams and splatter all over the universe in the next 100 years.

i called it Tongue

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #378 on: Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm »

This thread is helpful. As a matter of fact, I might be learning Chinese just by reading the posts (and randomly watching Ni Hao Kai-lan with my little nephew)! I think Icy corrected me on this but; xie, xie Icy!

So I was watching "The Warriors of Kyoshi" and my friend noticed this Chinese character.

She said it stands for capital or city. Nevermind, I found out what it means and it's in Japanese.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2011 01:46 am by Exiled Prince » Logged

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #379 on: Jun 18, 2011 05:09 pm »

Has it ever been considered to create a translation database to be added to the main website?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #380 on: Jun 18, 2011 10:39 pm »

^ Yes but since the current page is linked to Distant Horizons, we may need to do some tweaking.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #381 on: Jul 12, 2011 04:27 pm »

This thread is helpful. As a matter of fact, I might be learning Chinese just by reading the posts (and randomly watching Ni Hao Kai-lan with my little nephew)! I think Icy corrected me on this but; xie, xie Icy!

So I was watching "The Warriors of Kyoshi" and my friend noticed this Chinese character.

She said it stands for capital or city. Nevermind, I found out what it means and it's in Japanese.

Actually, it's a character in both Chinese and Japanese, and in both, it means capital city.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #382 on: Jul 13, 2011 12:17 am »

Actually, it's a character in both Chinese and Japanese, and in both, it means capital city.

Hmmm double meanings?

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #383 on: Jul 13, 2011 02:46 am »

Hmmm double meanings?
Nope.

Some Chinese & Japanese characters share the same... well, character strokes so the meaning is the same but the pronunciation is different.

familyyguy
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #384 on: Jul 23, 2011 03:24 am »

Well, the reading isn't really necessary because you can actually predict what it says. They usually talk about it. Maybe It's just a touch to get fans to try to translate or something.

Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #385 on: Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am »

Well, the reading isn't really necessary because you can actually predict what it says. They usually talk about it. Maybe It's just a touch to get fans to try to translate or something.

There are other things on the show that are in Chinese that aren't entirely interpreted. For example, Aang's Fire Nation wanted poster. They do say it is a wanted poster, but there is more to the writing than just "Wanted: Avatar Aang." Plus, it can give you a chance to learn some Chinese (if you don't know any) along the way.  Grin

Sig Wanted
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #386 on: Jul 25, 2011 01:14 am »

Maybe It's just a touch to get fans to try to translate or something.

Wrong.  It's to help create a tangible and fully realized world the characters inhabit.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011 01:16 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #387 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:10 pm »

According to the Art Book, the calligrapher would even vary the quality of the characters based on how educated or official the in-universe writer was supposed to be.

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #388 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:26 pm »

^

I did not know that.  Roll Eyes

Sig made by Dorky.
familyyguy
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #389 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:35 pm »

Someone should figure out the exact meaning of the symbol on Oman's chest.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #390 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:48 pm »

Already mentioned here.

Maybe I should create a Translations thread for the Korra board too.

familyyguy
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #391 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:51 pm »

Already mentioned here.

I didn't see that post, but some people had like 10 different meanings to it which puzzled me. It has to mean 1 thing, and I think the creators were looking for "equal" since they named them the equalists.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #392 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:59 pm »

That's the thing with Chinese characters. They have many meanings and you have to see the context it's used in. Sometimes it can be intentional to have double (or triple) meanings of the word.

I like the idea of hidden meanings.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #393 on: Jul 25, 2011 07:08 pm »

That's a good idea.

Nyokou
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Perfect Atrocity

Nyokou@live.com Nyok0u Nyokou
« Reply #394 on: Mar 11, 2012 03:05 am »

Thank you so much for the translations. I think it took me a couple of hours to look through this entire thread... Actually, I was a tiny bit familiar with Chinese writing prior to looking through this thread but I feel like I've learned a lot more now. And yes, I did read every single post. Although, I started to skim through the longer posts as I got closer to the end of the thread (so sleepy~).

I had no idea there were so many Chinese ATLA fans. That's pretty awesome.

Girls' Generation - "Paparazzi" Dance Edit GOLD | 효연

Keeper of Lin & Tenzin's Friendship | Lin Regaining Her Bending [112]
Noatak's Single Tear [112]
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #395 on: Mar 11, 2012 06:04 am »

^ Thanks!

Great news everyone, the ASN main site now has a dedicated translations page written by yours truly and encoded by Forau. =D

They're separated by seasons and within each season, you can click to the episode you're interested in.

Enjoy!

Jullau
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #396 on: Feb 03, 2013 09:18 pm »

These are awesome, icy
mrcatboy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #397 on: Aug 18, 2014 12:35 am »

Hey guys, I just posted a little primer on my blog about the history of Chinese calligraphy.  Enjoy:

http://mrcatboysa.tumblr.com/post/95072648003/oracle-bones-and-chinese-calligraphy

And yes, the Chinese pronunciation in Firefly was embarrassingly terrible and I couldn't understand a word of what they said.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #398 on: Aug 18, 2014 12:40 am »

I only understood "pi gu" in one of the Firefly swears. The rest was lost to me other than Simon's "mei mei". Took me a few years to realize the internet had all the cussing and swearing sentences of Firefly. Haha.

Anyway this topic isn't about Firefly so... back on topic for now. When I'm not so lazy, I will translate some stuff from the Dark Horse comics.

FireNationPhoenix
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artist, Writer, Animator, Poet, Actress, Critic

« Reply #399 on: Apr 08, 2016 10:02 am »

I have been taking chinese for 4 years and can translate some of the text.

Risen From the Ashes of Fire
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: