Apr 27, 2017 01:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen on Avatar  (Read 149778 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Nov 09, 2006 11:57 pm »

Edit: There is now a dedicated translations page on the main site which is much more user friendly than this thread.

Translations for The Legend of Korra can be found here.

Here are translations and character meanings of Chinese texts seen on Avatar. Please change the encoding to Unicode to view the chinese characters or you will see squares instead. To view unicode : view > character encoding > more encodings > unicode > unicode (UTF-8)

Here's a little bit of information. Texts which are written vertically are read from right to left. Texts which are written horizontally are read from left to right.

You may also notice that the strokes of the words I type here and the words found in the show are different. That's because the show uses Traditional Chinese to write their text while I use Simplified Chinese to type since I was brought up learning that form of writing and my computer is programmed to write in that style too. The strokes might be different but the meaning of the words are still the same.

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

Note: I didn't translate most of the texts in Season 1 because someone over at DH already done so before I became a member on ASN. Click on Episodes 7-15 to see the translation.

Appa's lost poster in Lake Laogai

1)

A clearer version of the poster courtesy of paranoidiot who posted a picture of it The Marketplace thread:

Heading reads : Searching for a flying sky bison

Description reads : His name is Appa and he has 6 legs and weighs 10 tons. If you have any news regarding the whereabouts about him, please contact Avatar Aang at the 96th District, 217th Alley/House in the Upper Ring.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2012 08:47 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2006 01:34 am »

Thanks! That's interesting. It's nice to see that they're taking care to be accurate with the writing in the series.

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
krossfire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

krossfire42
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2006 04:35 am »

Is it in Mandarin? Cantonese? Teochew?

"Do people really wanna see two little girls fighting out here?" - Toph to Aang.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2006 05:06 am »

Is it in Mandarin? Cantonese? Teochew?
You can read them in Cantonese and Teochew. I think it's predominantly Mandarin

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2006 06:57 am »

Thanks! I love wild cow for the word bison. I think I learn more about language on the board than my friends do in Chinese classes. Grin

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2006 07:47 am »

Here is the translation for the opening sequence of each character and Lu Ten's memorial paper for Tales of Ba Sing Se

2)

The last 3 words in each opening, 的故事, means XXX's story.

1st, 2nd & 3rd words, 卡塔拉, is Katara's name in Mandarin.

5th & 6th words, 托夫, is Toph's name in Mandarin.

3)

1st & 2nd words, 艾洛 is Iroh's name in Mandarin.

4)

1st & 2nd words, 安昂 is Aang's name in Mandarin.

5)

1st & 2nd words, 索卡 is Sokka's name in Mandarin.

6)

1st & 2nd words, 苏科 is Zuko's name in Mandarin.

7)

1st & 2nd words, 模模 is Momo's name in Mandarin.

8 )

Last two characters on the extreme left column, 路腾, is Lu Ten's name in Mandarin.

Description : General Iroh, I will see you again after gaining victory. Your loyal son, Lu Ten.

You might notice that this description is different from what I've posted in the "Interesting things noticed..." thread. I translated incorrectly in that post. Sorry for the mistake.

More texts from The Tales of Ba Sing Se continued over here.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010 10:42 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Chong
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Chong Returns

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2006 09:01 am »

OwO  Smart person....

Very nice translations.  Do you sit in class and do them for the fun of it?

Hiding no longer, the true Chong has returned!
Keeper of Everything Chong and Daizuli
Appa Lover
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2006 10:50 am »

Very funny if you look at there names.. Esspecially that one of zukko, come back to life..
Something has to do with the spiritual crisis?
servidor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Teresa of the Faint Smile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2006 11:04 am »

Maybe the meaning of Zuko's name implies that he would revive the Royal family or the Fire Nation. 
turtleduck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The turtleducks want blood

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2006 02:22 pm »

Thanks for this! You rock! And I really wish I could read chinese.

"A spork is a lethal weapon in the correct hands" - Sun Tzu
Selofain
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am a worm on a cloud.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2006 03:21 pm »

What little Chinese reading I learned is insufficient to translate these. What little I can readi usually sends me into giggles. But I did notice that you put the wrong word down when translating the first word in Katara's name. It's the third instead of the first.

Keeper of Old Ba Sing Se and Piandao's sword mastery
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2006 08:35 pm »

Do you sit in class and do them for the fun of it?
I translate them for fun Smiley

But I did notice that you put the wrong word down when translating the first word in Katara's name. It's the third instead of the first.
Opps, thanks for highlighting the mistake!

omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2006 09:23 pm »

Great job on these Icy! Keep it up.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2006 09:26 pm »

Here is the translation for the sign Ba Sing Se University & the tea shop in City of Walls & Secrets

9)

I know the words are a bit hard to see but I'm pretty sure they are 永固城大学. 永 means perpetually/forever/always. 固 mostly means solid/firm which I think refers to the wall of Ba Sing Se. 城 means city/wall/city wall. I guess it means city. 大学 means University. 大 means big. 学 means learn/knowledge/study/school/college.

10)

The words, 包氏茶馆, means Bao Family Tea House. 包 has no specific meaning. 氏 means family name/surname. 茶 means tea. 馆 means shop. 茶馆 means teahouse.

Another text from City of Walls and Secrets continued over here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 01:52 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2006 10:01 pm »

Great job on these Icy! Keep it up.
Thank you!

Seems I'm having translation fever today. Here is translation of the banner seen at the train station and the Slurry Pipeline engraving from The Drill

11)

The words are read from left to right.

欢迎光临永固城 means Welcome to Ba Sing Se. 欢迎 means welcome. 欢 means joyous/merry/jubilant. 迎 means greet/welcome/receive. 光临 is said as a form of respect to a guest/tourist/visitor. 光 means light/honor/glory. 临 means arrive/be present. The last 3 words is Ba Sing Se in Mandarin and the meanings of them can be seen in entry 9.

12)

泥浆管道, as everyone knows, means slurry pipeline.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 01:52 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2006 01:26 am »

Here is the translation of Toph's Passport, ferry tickets, stamp on Aang's head, Serpent's Pass heading and the "abandon hope" carving from The Serpent's Pass

13)

Description : Earth Kingdom first class passport, Bei Fong Toph

14)

You have to tilt your head to the right to view the words in the screenshot.

Description : Full Moon Bay ferry ticket

The approval stamp which has the word 准 means allow/permit/grant .

15)

不准 means not approved.

16)

盤蛇關 which means means coiling snake pass. 盤 means coiled. 蛇 means snake/serpent. 關 of course, means pass.

17)

绝望 means give up hope or like what Katara says, "Abandon hope". It also means despair.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 01:55 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2006 01:33 am »

You know the translation of Iroh's name is interesting, the old river huh? Cheesy

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Sokkas_gurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avatar made by Kyoshi Fan! *~*Sokka's fangurl*~*

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2006 02:45 am »

Wow, I wish I could do that. I know Japanese but not Chinese!!! You are really talented.

Sig also by Kyoshi Fan! Thanky Kindly!
President of the Water Tribe Village
mistresskatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang is a drug. Say yes to the drug.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2006 02:55 am »

I loff you, Icy. *huggles lots* :3

Disapproval- a KGA Challenge fic
Keeper of Chin's giant Avatar floats, Aang's smile, Katara's blush, and Sokka's love of meat.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2006 03:39 am »

Translation for Zuko's & Iroh's wanted poster seen in The Desert. This is going to be a very long post.

18)

The poster is read vertically from right to left.

Description : The Fire Lord orders the arrest of the two traitors, Iroh and Zuko. General Iroh was once known as the Dragon of the West. Prince Zuko was once known as the Crown Prince to the Fire Lord. Both traitors violated the royal orders and refused to wipe out the Water Tribe barbarians as well as capturing the Avatar. Wanted Dead or Alive.

Each sentence below corresponds with each sentence above.

承烈火君命辑捕艾洛祖寇二叛贼
艾洛将军曾为平西巨龙
祖寇王子曾为大帝储君
二贼违反国令命令拒绝征剿水族蛮子及捉拿降世神通
格杀匆论
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 01:56 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2006 03:45 am »

You know the translation of Iroh's name is interesting, the old river huh? Cheesy

Here's a quote from the "Interesting things noticed..." thread

Yeah, but it's a lot more fun to think of him as Old Man River. He just keeps rolling along...

I wish Iroh could sing "Row, row, row your boat" the next time his sailing the seas.

Wow, I wish I could do that. I know Japanese but not Chinese!!! You are really talented.
Thank you. I wished I knew Japanese.

I loff you, Icy. *huggles lots* :3
*Hugs back* Love you too Smiley

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2006 06:35 am »

Last translation for today. Library Map, "Darkest day in Fire Nation" parchment and words seen on the dial from The Library.

19)

Read from left to right

万知堂神秘图书馆

Description : Wan Shi Tong's mysterious library

20)

This parchment is read vertically from right to left.

培治龙年七月九日烈火国最黑暗的一天

Description : The 9th day of the 7th Month (9th July in modern times) in the Cultivate Rule Dragon Year was the Fire Nation's darkest day.

21)

Innermost dial contains the 12 months in the year ranging from 1 to 12.

2nd innermost dial contains the days in the month ranging from 1 to 31.

3rd innermost dial contains historically based names for 16 eras as stated in "The Art of the Animated Series" book.

Outermost dial contains pictures of the 12 animals in the Chinese Zodiac cycle.

Next picture contains the date of the upcoming Solar Eclipse. Don't read it if you don't wish to know when it will happen.

22)

Citizens of the Avatar World would experience the solar eclipse on the 1st day of the 8th Month, Superior Military Year of the Monkey.

Innermost dial says 八 which means 8.

2nd innermost dial says 一 which means 1.

3rd innermost dial says 氜武. 氜 means superior. 武 means military/fierce/valiant.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2011 12:22 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Extraordinary Lauren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2006 12:03 pm »

wooooooooooo! lol at least we have a time line now! Wow you rock

Keeper of Iroh's Jasmine Tea, Iroh's Tea Recipes, and The Eastern Air Temple.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2006 08:59 pm »

Here is the translation of the dagger and the fire sign above Azulon's coffin in Zuko Alone

23)

非战不屈 means don't yield to the enemy without fighting or like what Zuko says, "Never give up without a fight". 非战 means without fighting. 非 means wrong/not/not conform to/have got to. In this case, the last 3 meanings is applicable. 战 means fight/war/battle. The 3rd word is 不, meaning not/without. 屈 means yield/injustice/in the wrong. In this case it would be the 1st meaning.

24)

火 means fire. The is possibly a place where anyone in the royal family is cremated. Hence the word 火, since fire is involved in the process.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010 01:57 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2006 09:25 pm »

Thankyou so much for these Icy!
You = awsome

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: