Mar 30, 2017 09:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (19%)
9 - 33 (15.3%)
8 - 47 (21.8%)
7 - 46 (21.3%)
6 - 23 (10.6%)
5 - 13 (6%)
4 - 3 (1.4%)
3 - 3 (1.4%)
2 - 1 (0.5%)
1 - 6 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 210

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [205] Avatar Day  (Read 24052 times)
Qin Shi Huang
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

All Under Heaven

« Reply #150 on: Jul 05, 2012 08:21 am »

It is actually a great opportunity to make some books/new series about the life of Kyoshi and Chin's conquest... it would be nice to know, much better than going to the future <for me atleast>

I Keep: War Minister Qin's hat - Chin the Great's shoes -

''^ Dude, if both betrayed her again, she'd end it right there and then.'' - Flipdark95
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #151 on: Oct 27, 2013 11:48 pm »

What an incredibly entertaining episode this was.  Probably my favorite pure comedy episode aside from The Ember Island Players. 

First of all, I enjoyed how it leads us in one direction, thinking' its going to be a rehash of The Warriors of Kiyoshi, only to turn it on its head and reveal that the town actually despises the Avatar. 

But mostly, the strength of the humor comes from the characters. Aang always has this humble, aw shucks quality and it never shows better than it does here.  Here he is, didn't do anything wrong and could get out of jail any time he wanted, but he wants the chance to clear his name anyway because he wants to restore their faith in him.  he's in these ridiculous stocks that he could slip out of any time, but he keeps them on anyway, probably just to make everyone else in town feel better.  There's thegreat scene where he's wearing those stocks while talking to some rather dangerous prisoners about love, and it just struck me as so "Aang".  Of course he would respect and have faith in others like that, regardless of their situation. 

Sokka and Katara as Sherlock Holmes and Watson.  I love the fact that in spite of his overall silliness in his approach (and that hat) his deductions were actually logically sound, even though they didn't end up being correct.  Katara has some great moments here too, as somewhat of a smartassed foil to her brother. 

The whole trial was an absurd public spectacle, which is totally fitting with the rest of the episode- aang dressed as Kiyoshi and doing a falsetto "girl" voice, the Wheel of Punishments, Katara praying it lands on Community Service- all great stuff.  Overall extremely entertaining, and I liked seeing Kiyoshi in action. 

On the down side, though, I have to say that the foaming mouth guy just isn't quite as funny the second time around.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #152 on: Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am »

I think this is in my bottom 3 episodes. Its a notch above the bottom 2 though, so I'll give it that.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #153 on: Oct 28, 2013 02:00 am »

I have really mixed feelings about this episode. One one hand, there are some very funny moments and I really like the interactions within the group, particularly Katara and Sokka. On the other hand though, apart from the Kyoshi backstory bit, it is rather pointless and the Rough Rhinos always made me roll my eyes because of how generic they came across to me.

It's definitely one of my least favorite episodes. I would say the only episodes that I would place it ahead of are Nightmares and Daydreams, The Great Divide, and the King of Omashu.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #154 on: Oct 28, 2013 03:12 am »

I loved this one. I especially loved the wheel joke ("Gee, I'd love to help, but I'm supposed to be boiled in oil") and the fight scenes. Rin casually taking off his shackles and the unbaked cookies were quite funny too.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #155 on: Oct 28, 2013 04:38 pm »

I don't think I'll ever pin down your taste NeeNee.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #156 on: Oct 28, 2013 07:10 pm »

I'm with Grieves, the humor in this episode really didn't work for me. About the only jokes I did like where the ones NeeNee mentioned, but they weren't enough to save the episode for me. (The pun about unfried dough came close, but ultimately 23 minutes isn't worth one cringeworthy pun, as much as I love them.)

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #157 on: Oct 28, 2013 07:17 pm »

Yeah there were some good gags, but that's just par for the course for Avatar.
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #158 on: Nov 02, 2013 01:11 pm »

I don't think I'll ever pin down your taste NeeNee.

Same here bro.

This was one of my least favorite episodes ever. I like that we got a bit more of Kyoshi's background, but I feel like if they wanted to, they could have easily incorporated that minute of information into another episode much more easily without having to go through this whole mystery-solving schpiel.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #159 on: Nov 02, 2013 08:00 pm »

Well, as I recall, the mystery angle doesn't really add anything? Doesn't she just talk to Aang anyway?
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #160 on: Nov 02, 2013 08:21 pm »

The only thing I liked about this one (aside from the Zuko parts) was Aang talking to the prisoners and a few of the jokes here and there. :/

But Aang talking to the other prisoners is hilarious every time, especially when he just casually takes the cuffs off. Really, anytime Aang just casually demonstrates that he chooses to be trapped is amusing.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #161 on: Nov 02, 2013 09:35 pm »

Well, as I recall, the mystery angle doesn't really add anything? Doesn't she just talk to Aang anyway?

That's why I'm saying they didn't need this episode. For the information that we got about Kyoshi, it could have been incorporated into another episode. Heck, they could've placed it in the Old Masters when Aang looks back to his past lives. It would've only been a minute's worth of new info.

The mystery-solving stuff was just an excuse to go back to Kyoshi Island and see Foamy. Tongue
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #162 on: Jan 01, 2015 12:43 pm »

Other than the Zuko and Iroh bits and the part with Kyoshi. I thought this episode was dumb and not the good kind. Poor Sokka gets no respect.

Aang was also being beyond silly. He has a world to save, and yet he is standing trial in some stupid town? Anyway, I liked those overly sensitive prisoners, that scene was fun. oh and the Rough Rhinos were cool, if unnecessary villains. That is all I have to safe. This is definitely not Avatar at its best.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: