Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 41 (19%)
9 - 33 (15.3%)
8 - 47 (21.8%)
7 - 46 (21.3%)
6 - 23 (10.6%)
5 - 13 (6%)
4 - 3 (1.4%)
3 - 3 (1.4%)
2 - 1 (0.5%)
1 - 6 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 210

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [205] Avatar Day  (Read 24506 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Apr 28, 2006 07:36 pm »

Official Description: Aang and the gang discover an Earth town that celebrates something called "Avatar Day." When they learn that it is not a celebration of the Avatar, but a festival of anti-Avatar sentiment caused by something Aang did in his past, Aang is determined to clear the Avatar's good name.

Discuss!
Leathie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2006 07:46 pm »

That was a good episode, it had me laughing through most of it. Classic Sokka! But OOOOOO!!!!! Zuko the bandit! Sweet mother I nearly crapped my pants it was so awsome! I'm kinda bummed though he left Iroh! *sob!* They better not leave Iroh out of the show or I'm sending nasty emails! Other wise loved the show and I look forward to the next one and especially ZUKO ALONE! *squee!* I'm so excited!!!!!

Uncle Iroh, Dragon of the West, tea lover extrordinare, Uncle Lazy. All words to describe the greatest man in the history of the Fire Nation.
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006 07:51 pm »

a great eppy for Sokka Cheesy
And Kyoshi made one heck of an appearence this episode  Cool

But Zuko... a regular ol Robin Hood now, but I hope Iroh will still be in the show as I like him...

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A Kataang shipper to the end!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2006 08:07 pm »

That was awesome! Sherlock Sokka, has a nice ring to it! Lol!

Is it me or is that whole scene with Aang talking to the thugs familiar some how? I can't place it...

It was so sad that Zuko left Iroh... Big jerk.. -___-

Banner made by me, do not steal! If you want to use it, ask me first.

Join my site! Avatar Dream (New custom skin up!)
someone198
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2006 08:43 pm »

I wouldn't call him a jerk at all. I think Zuko's gone through the most character development of his career in this episode, and I don't mean by adopting the Blue Spirit alter ego (which, even though it's low and cruel, is pretty cool and impressive, you gotta admit). Like he said, he's not trying to find Aang anymore. At last, he's trying to find himself, and honor on his own terms, not his father's. The healing has begun.
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2006 08:50 pm »

Yeah, true, but it's sad to see Iroh all alone...

I'm glad Zuko is over the whole "I gotta catch the Avatar" thing though. That was a bad quality of him... He's a lot better off without it. Maybe he will join Aang one of these days.

Leathie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2006 08:55 pm »

Yeah, true, but it's sad to see Iroh all alone...

I'm glad Zuko is over the whole "I gotta catch the Avatar" thing though. That was a bad quality of him... He's a lot better off without it. Maybe he will join Aang one of these days.

I think it's pretty obvious Zuko will become friends with Aang. My guess is at the end of this book. BTW did you guys watch the preview for the next ep? It looks awsome!

Uncle Iroh, Dragon of the West, tea lover extrordinare, Uncle Lazy. All words to describe the greatest man in the history of the Fire Nation.
someone198
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2006 09:18 pm »

Sokka sure has rotten luck when it comes to girls. What are the chances that both girls he's seriously liked would either leave or die to do their part to save the world?

In the words of Ron Stoppable, "Are all girls like this, or just the ones I know?"
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2006 10:05 pm »

Although this episode had some defects, I really enjoyed Avatar Kyoshi's cameo.

I also appreciated General Ch'in surprisingly enough. I have no idea whether the creators meant the allusion, but the Ch'in dynasty, short in duration though it was, was the first to unify China. It is also, and largely for this reason, the source of the western name for that country - China. In Chinese the name of the country in Chung Kuo (using the Wade-Giles system) and means "Middle Kingdom."

Anyway, the first emperor of Ch'in, Shi Huang Ti, terminated the Warring States period and ushered in the centralization and bureacracy that dominated China until 1912. General Ch'in's small stature certainly recalls Napolean as well.
Fuzzy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

fuzzytoesocks@hotmail.com emilythepissed
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2006 10:49 pm »

Sokka was a bit too...eh in this episode for me. Hard to explain.

My favorite parts where when...

-Aang was sitting around with the other prisoners, and they were giving him love advice. Then, he just had to go and slip out of the headcuffs. That made me chuckle out loud. xD
-Sokka asking where Suki was. Shipping abounds. o=
-Avatar Kyoshi came up. Pure awesome.
-Sokka's last line at the end. "This has by far got to be the worst town we've ever been to."

I didn't see the preview. D:

Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2006 11:01 pm »

Sad  Angry Well, in my own opinion, I can't say I blame a wanted fugitive, who's lost almost everything, for stealing food and valuables (and I don't think someone who swipes perfume from nuns has much right to criticize) especially when there are others who commit outright murder and are not only defended but glorified for it.

And I can't say I'm happy that they had Zuko and Iroh split up and go seperate ways. I always figured now that they were on the run and fleeing for their lives that they would need to stick together more then before. What's next? Aang, Sokka and Katara splitting up and going seperate ways?.  Sad  Angry

BisonTamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2006 11:36 pm »

On the surface, Avatar Day seems to be just a fun filler episode, but some very important stuff happened here.

Sokka's remorse about losing his boomerang was humorous, and his joy at finding it late the show was something of a funny, too.

The people of Chin are a bunch of cowards. First, they accuse Aang of murder without any proof, and when they finally get the word, straight from Avatar Kiyoshi, they still try to execute Aang. Then, when the Rough Rhino Brigade attacks, they cower in fear and let Aang, Katara and Sokka fight the Brigade all on their own.

I was so happy to see Kiyoshi Island again. Foaming-At-The-Mouth Guy was a great sight gag, and I think it's pretty clear Sokka still has some feelings for Suki. I definitely think we're going to see the Kiyoshi Island warriors in the future.

I didn't realize it until this episode, but Kiyoshi was one big woman! And what a bender! She pretty much used all four elements to create an island in a matter of a few minutes.

Sokka's whole Sherlock Holmes routine was funny, too. I know he's a lot more intelligent than he sometimes lets on, and here he uses some good deductive reasoning. At times, I think they would have had to widen the doorways to get Sokka's head through.

I couldn't believe Sokka didn't take the opportunity to get back at Aang for Aang's "nice dress" cut in The Warriors of Kiyoshi. It was the perfect chance.

How interesting that Aang discussed his feelings about Katara with the prisoners of Chin. Sooner or later, Aang and Katara are going to have a serious talk about their relationship. I hope it's later, for the sake of the show.

Now, we get to the more serious, and more series-changing, element of the episode - Zuko and Iroh. The Blue Spirit is now something of a common thief and mugger, and I believe Iroh knew how Zuko was getting all the food and stuff they were living on, even if he didn't know specifically about the Blue Spirit. Yet, Iroh gives Zuko the war ostrich to ride, leaving himself on foot. That man cares a great deal for the Fire Prince, even if Zuko doesn't appreciate it.

It was also extremely important that Iroh finally came clean with Zuko and told him flat out capturing the Avatar wouldn't get Zuko back into his father's good graces. There's only one way for Zuko to go back to the Fire Nation - as its conqueror. But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

Zuko's whole, "I've learned all I can from you, and I'm not benefiting from traveling with you anymore," speech was foreboding. I don't think Zuko's learned what he needs to know, and I fear for Iroh's safety without Zuko. I know Iroh's a good firebender, but he is an old man, and I think he's less able to defend himself against a troop of firebenders than Zuko.

Favorite moments: Sokka's "He's dead," line, and the big, wide, fake smiles on his and Katara's faces, Momo going after the spider, and Kiyoshi's appearance. Did I mention she's my favorite past Avatar? Because she is.

So, now we wait for The Earthbending Tournament, and the addition of a new permanent member of the Aang Gang. *sniff sniff* Do I smell a possible love triangle in the air? Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Even if you're lost you can't lose the love because it's in your heart.
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2006 11:42 pm »

Yes, this really was an interesting episode.  I was kind of dissapointed in Zuko when he stole the hardworking people's food...
-Iroh's infinate wisdom.  It's so...infinate. lol. You really have to love that man.
-Aang forgetting his evidence at the trial.
"Uuhh...I have really big feet.  Aaannnd...that statue, and the temple..they match! ...uuuhhh...and I was painted at sunset! ...
(something to that extent Smiley )
Sokka: "He's dead."
hehee

And Zuko LEFT! Shocked Oooooo...the plot thickens...
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2006 11:47 pm by Zukofan » Logged
watermistress
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

CURSES! foiled again.

Starshine9938@hotmail.com
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2006 12:26 am »

THE FOAMING MOUTH GUY RETURNS!!!!! w0oT!! lol j/k. ya i liked this episode! (sept my stupid sis brought all her friends over so i missed part of it!) Sad. but i absolutely loved the Kyoshi part. uber cool!

Scar in your meadow
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2006 01:13 am »

Interesting episode. I love all of the allusions to the past. Good to see Sokka hasn't forgotten about Suki. Good to see all the Kyoshi residents again. Koko calling Aang "Aangie", really there was so much about this episode that brought back memories to when I first saw the series.

So much happened in this ep I can't remember it all. But this episode was funny. Sokka pretending to be a detective and telling Katara off every chance he can get. HAHA!

It was awesome to see Kyoshi in the flesh. A female Avatar. Word. And we get the story as to how Kyoshi Island was formed. It was interesting to see instead of proving innocence, Kyoshi ADMITTED to doing the deed. But it was for an entirely different reason.

Also, Zuko leaving.....now THIS is going to be interesting. That's all I can say. Hopefully Iroh doesn't get left in the dust, though. We need him. All in all, a good episode. But there are three kinds of Avatar episodes -

1) THE AWESOME ONES (Southern Air Temple, Avatar Roku, Storm, Blue Spirit, Siege of the North)
2) The good ones (pretty much everything else)
3) The bad ones (so far only two - The King of Omashu, The Great Divide)

This was just a good one.
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2006 08:28 am »

Hehe - I knew I recognized the voice. James Hong is the VA for Mayor Tong in this episode. James Hong is also the VA for Professor Chang on Teen Titans, a character in turn based on James Hong's live action role in the breakthrough film Bladerunner from 1982.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the love for Sokka's anachronistic Scooby Doo and Sherlock Holmes references - and didn't that helmet magnifying glass thing remind you of the stuff Johnny Depp wore in Sleepy Hollow?
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2006 08:38 am by Acastus » Logged
ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2006 11:43 am »

I loved it when Sokka was doing that whole detective thing, way too funny! But, crying over his boomerang... Pathetic if you ask me. Glad we got to see Kyoshi in the flesh, I was wondering what she would sound like.

dinglehopper
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

STEALTH MODE

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2006 03:19 pm »

Oh man, this episode was priceless  Grin Had me smiling the whole time. Cept the Zuko parts. Poor Uncle Iroh  :'(

Best Parts

-Sokka imitating Aang

-When Sokka first puts on the eye thing and makes Katara laugh. That was a really cute brother/sister moment.

-Sokka Holmes continuously cutting off Katara and then getting hit in the head.

-Aang talking to the prisoners about Katara "Just tell her how you feel  :'(" *dies laughing*

-Aang forgetting his evidence

-'"He's dead," Katara & Sokka big fake smile. and "Community service!  Please land on community service!"

-"Boomerang! You do always come back!"

-Avatar Kyoshi officially kicks arse, and man she's HUGE!

-And the dough that was not boiled in oil. Ah good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006 09:39 am by dinglehopper » Logged

Lieselle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" 'OH MY GOD, NO WAI!' 'OH MY GOD, YES WAI!' "

Lady+Liesl+99
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2006 08:24 pm »

HAHA, agreed on ALL of those! Cmmunity Service is defiently a fav. That episode was good. But I was completely angered that there wasn't two new episode like the TV said. I threw a Katara tantrum over that...so much. But the best part was that the foaming man is back!! Hahaha! He seemed to upset that Aang wasn't there though, he kinda hid under his shirt thingy ^^. Oh, foaming man, where would we be without you?

ignite444
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2006 10:54 pm »

I still say that is a girl... I don't think that foaming mouth person is a guy..

The episode was sorta a filler, but then again, it wasn't.

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2006 11:47 pm »

I wanted to scream..."Zuko, NO!!! Don't leave Iroh!!!"

They're splitting up!!! Now they'll be picked off one by one!!! For TT fans: Remember BB in "Fear Itself"--he said it perfectly. The good guys should never split up.

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2006 12:16 am »

Some things I wonder about after watching the latest episode:

This season, the people in the earth Kingdom seem to have heard all about Aang's exploits, and they knew what he looked like. Why haven't they heard about Zuko? I would expect half the Earth Kingdom to be on the lookout for a guy with a huge burn scar on his face by now. And where are the soldiers that recognised Iroh as The Western Dragon last season? Is just losing his top-knot and donning Earth Kingdom get-up enough to fool them now?

Do the people of Kyoshi island belong to the Earth Kingdom or the Water Tribes? (maybe old foamy is just a misguided waterbender? Roll Eyes) Where in the avatar world did Suki actually go? I mean where is this war that we keep hearing about? where are the battles actually waged?

Meanwhile, where is Azula? Is she planning to infiltrate EarthKingdom territory with just Mai and Ty Lee (+the people who schlepp her around on her litter)? To me, she doesn't seem like the type who would resort to such desperate risks, but how else is she going to find Zuko and Iroh?

I wish the creators would show a screenshot of the map, with a little arrow showing where Aang and Co. are at the beginning of each episode. It'd make the journey so much easier to follow (Oh, I apologize, I do, I really can't help myself with the puns. I'ts a most grieveous affliction).

And of course, the biggest mystery of all: What is Zuko thinking? Zuko, listen to your uncle. L i s t e n    "Never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strenght." Iroh knows all.

Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #22 on: Apr 30, 2006 12:37 am »

And of course, the biggest mystery of all: What is Zuko thinking? Zuko, listen to your uncle. L i s t e n    "Never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strenght." Iroh knows all.

Amen to that!. Though, even though I'd prefer uncle and nephew stay together, do you think that could be why Zuko left?; Because he wanted to follow that advice and find a way to give himself hope rather then depending on Iroh, or capturing the Avatar, for it?... Just a thought... Huh

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2006 08:52 am »

UJoF got the screenshots up for this episode - and he went bonkers with the Avatar Kyoshi scene! Check'em out here. We'll get the transcript up soon as well.

EDIT: Transcript posted - character bios and creature profiles should be up soon as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2006 04:18 pm by Acastus » Logged
Bleeding_Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

by: neitherday

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2006 05:24 pm »

What can I say about this episode? I don't know, there's too much to say! Well, I'll just start from the beginning...

First off, the whole boomarang thing with Sokka was cute. I always feel kind of bad for him, he's always so unlucky. When he was moping I must say I wanted to hug him just to make him feel better. lol! And I'm not much of a Sokka fan girl, I think he's cool... but yeah, I'm more of a Zuko fangirl. Anyways, I do feel for Sokka.

I didn't much like the town, it was like, they didn't care what anyone had to say, just... I'm big you're small, I'm right, you're wrong complex. It kinda ticked me off. I had to say though that whole jail scene where Aang was talking about his feelings to the other prisioners, wow that was great! I bust a gut when I saw that. I also thought it was cute how he wore his restraints even though he could easily take them off. Heh.

Okay, cuteness, the whole brother/sister moments between Sokka and Katara, was completely adorable. And Sokka's little sleuth routine was cute, I loved it.

I also liked the bit with Avatar Kiyoshi. She was big! Yay! I loved how she like split the island using all her powers. I knew I always liked her...

Alright, to Zuko, wow, he's become the ultimate bad boy, and I don't know what to say. I mean, I thought he was really awesome, but now I'm very confused, I do hope he stops with the stealing, it... is not good. I'm pretty sure Iroh knew how he was getting their things, he just didn't say anything. I literally jumped up and screamed when he left though, it was sad. I'm happy that Iroh explained to Zuko that he really couldn't go back now, someone needed to say it, and I'm glad he did. I'm not happy with the whole separation thing though, as I love Iroh to death, and I'm afraid of what will happen to Zuko without his guidence, and Iroh without Zuko's watchful eye. I think the both of them need each other. Zuko needs his uncle's verbal support, and Iroh need's Zuko's support in general... am I making any sense? I'm not sure. Anyways, the next episodes will be very interesting to watch.

I had a few qualms with this episode, so I give it an 8.

"Writer's block is like a bicyclist breaking his legs, eventually he'll get to ride again, but not when he really wants to."

Icon From: Digik Designs
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: