Oct 21, 2014 01:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Martial Arts Discussion in Korra  (Read 10640 times)
Bane
Untethered

It's a Korra Sprite

« Reply #75 on: Jul 27, 2011 02:41 am »

^^^
I think akido can be argued a few different ways. I've always taken the approach that akido is a redirection of energy, which seems waterbendish to me. Although on the same tolken there's several different ways to practice the same art and I can definitely see where you're coming from with the earth and air bending.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2011 04:57 pm by Bane » Logged

familyyguy
Banned Member
Untethered

« Reply #76 on: Jul 30, 2011 07:33 pm »

Is chi-blocking similar to pressure point fighting?

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #77 on: Jul 30, 2011 07:42 pm »

This is Ty Lee's style, straight from Sifu Kisu's mouth.

by Maivry
Quote from: Ikkin
[Roku] tried to push the conflict [with Sozin] out of mind instead of confronting it before it spiraled out of control. (In a way, his style of being Avatar was a lot like Mako's style of handling romantic conflicts xD
Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2012 04:25 am »

Disclaimer: I've been wondering if I should put this in the "Bending & Its Evolution" thread, but since this is more martial arts-specific, I made it it's own separate topic.  My apologies to the mods if they feel it should be merged.

I've been thinking a lot of how I'd like to see more styles of wushu gong fu than the five currently employed for bending (taijiquan, hungar/southern mantis, northern shaolinquan, and baguazhang).  Personally I'm a big fan of the animal styles, particularly snake and monkey, finding their way into the series.  My current line of thinking is that the specialization of bending (e.g. metal) could give way to the use of new styles of gong fu in the series.  Alternatively, the different regions of the world could develop all new styles for bending due to the post-war mixture of cultures.  For example, a former Fire Nation colony in New Republic might use Southern Shaolin (crane) style for firebending and Da Cheng Chuan for earthbending, instead of northern shaolinquan and hun-gar, respectively.

Would anyone else like to see more styles of gong fu,, and if so, how would you like to see them implemented?

"And just as the imagination is limitless, so too are the possibilities of the sword."

Keeper of one of Piandao's wooden jian, Sokka's set of free swordplay armor, and the jian on sale in AtLA 304

Keeper of Aang's cape (TLoK)
guyw1tn0nam3
Untethered

I lost my will to live again

« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2012 12:23 pm »

It probably wouldn't surprise me if the Equalists had a unique style to them.

A good man in an evil society seems the greatest evil of all.
DynoMyte
Untethered

« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2012 03:41 pm »

I hope they use as many new forms of martial arts as they can.

Since we'll be seeing a lot of people in the pro-bending tourneys, maybe they can have their own styles to give Team Avatar a run for their money.

HIPPO HAPPY TO BREED WITH BLIND BANDIT!

Ty Lee cleavage rules Cheesy
Lightningbend
Untethered

« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2012 11:47 am »

I wonder if there will be some sort of Karate form...

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Pictak
Untethered

lé what?

« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2012 06:38 pm »

Or a form the Equalists use that get close and in your face making bending ineffective.

Signature'd.
fire nation spirit
Untethered

« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2012 06:44 pm »

i really wanted to see the equalists use jeet kun du...or whatever the name of that martial art that Bruce Lee founded :p
Pictak
Untethered

lé what?

« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2012 06:59 pm »

Seeing Jeet Kune Do would be awesome. Imagine some cocky bender prepping up to bend with all their fancy moves only to have a fist connect to their face before they can react.

Signature'd.
fire nation spirit
Untethered

« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2012 07:19 pm »

when i saw videos of people performing jeet kun du.....HOLY CAMOLY it looks like chi blocking with lightning speed! O.O
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #86 on: Jan 07, 2012 03:21 am »

Is There Room for More Gong Fu in TLoK? merged with Mixed Martial Arts Styles in Korra? Please search before creating a new thread next time.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2012 02:36 am »

Icy, FYI, I did do a search.  MMA is completely different from wushu gong fu, and as such I made a separate thread for it.  If you wish this to be a general repository thread for all martial arts discussion, then may I suggest you change the title of the thread to reflect this policy?  As it stands, the title is very misleading, because my thread was about additional styles of wushu in the show, not the new addition of MMA.

"And just as the imagination is limitless, so too are the possibilities of the sword."

Keeper of one of Piandao's wooden jian, Sokka's set of free swordplay armor, and the jian on sale in AtLA 304

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #88 on: Jan 11, 2012 02:45 am »

^ You know you should send a PM. I will change the topic of the thread.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
FairladyZ2005
Untethered

« Reply #89 on: Jan 17, 2012 12:15 am »

Based on what I've learned of martial arts and the animation upgrade of the new series I'm really looking forward to seeing Korra's Bag Wa (hope I spelled that right).  Fantasic as Aang looked in TLA Korra should look even better because from what I've heard Bag Wa is a martial art that is particularly condusive to the female body.  In short, Korra's airbending should look spectacular. 

Helping to bring balance to the fandom, one post at a time!
flamehead23a
Untethered

GET HYPE

« Reply #90 on: Jan 17, 2012 06:37 pm »

In short, Korra's airbending should look spectacular. 

Korra's everything should look spectacular. This is definitely going to be a show I have to watch, then re-watch in slow motion.

I mean, look at that.

TAS: Finale Act II now up!
Avi and sig by D-D-D-Danger!
aa623
Untethered

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #91 on: Mar 06, 2012 09:47 pm »

Some of the moves used in the new clip featuring a Pro-Bending tournament look a lot like boxing moves!

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #92 on: Mar 06, 2012 09:52 pm »

I said it in the other thread, but I think it would be worth reiterating here. The change to new bending styles makes a lot more sense now that we get to see the details of Probending. The players aren't really fighting, they're seperated from each other in different sectors of the playing field and are forced to fight at a distance. Earthbenders, at least, are also limited in what they can bend, namely those strategically placed disks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are limits to the quantity of "bendables" allowed in a single attack, and there might even be rules regarding the kinds of blows that can be landed, limiting things to chest hits, for example. The old styles might be far more versatile and functional for a real fight, but this is a game. A whole new style makes a lot sense.

by Maivry
Quote from: Ikkin
[Roku] tried to push the conflict [with Sozin] out of mind instead of confronting it before it spiraled out of control. (In a way, his style of being Avatar was a lot like Mako's style of handling romantic conflicts xD
aa623
Untethered

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #93 on: Mar 06, 2012 09:55 pm »

That makes sense. They aren't fighting to death here. It's all for sport, for fun.  There are definitely some sort of rules to what kind of shots can be taken. I'm sure we'll get a run down of the rules when Korra is introduced to Pro-Bending by the Bros.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
guyw1tn0nam3
Untethered

I lost my will to live again

« Reply #94 on: Mar 06, 2012 10:13 pm »

It's logical.

Doesn't mean that I like it though.  Undecided

A good man in an evil society seems the greatest evil of all.
DynoMyte
Untethered

« Reply #95 on: Mar 07, 2012 12:23 am »

I just watched the Hateocracy episode of the Boondocks. If the fights are anything like that, I can die content.

HIPPO HAPPY TO BREED WITH BLIND BANDIT!

Ty Lee cleavage rules Cheesy
Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #96 on: Mar 07, 2012 12:30 am »

That makes sense. They aren't fighting to death here. It's all for sport, for fun.  There are definitely some sort of rules to what kind of shots can be taken. I'm sure we'll get a run down of the rules when Korra is introduced to Pro-Bending by the Bros.

The problem with that is, they're throwing Muoy Thai-style punches with their elbows when they launch those earth discs.  Most modern styles of martial arts have diminished the use of elbow attacks because of their deadliness.  So if those punches are thrown in good fun, they're doing a darn good job of throwing them like they mean business.

What I saw looked pretty cool to me so far.  As long as they stay away from those unbalanced Ultimate Fighter kicks, I can accept this in TLoK.

Eman5805
Untethered

A Soulful Brother

« Reply #97 on: Mar 07, 2012 03:24 pm »

I said it in the other thread, but I think it would be worth reiterating here. The change to new bending styles makes a lot more sense now that we get to see the details of Probending. The players aren't really fighting, they're seperated from each other in different sectors of the playing field and are forced to fight at a distance. Earthbenders, at least, are also limited in what they can bend, namely those strategically placed disks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are limits to the quantity of "bendables" allowed in a single attack, and there might even be rules regarding the kinds of blows that can be landed, limiting things to chest hits, for example. The old styles might be far more versatile and functional for a real fight, but this is a game. A whole new style makes a lot sense.

Given that we see what looks like Korra hit the water in that first trailer way back when, I bet the new rules take some adjusting for Korra. Also, I hope there's a brilliant probending team they have to fight. I don't want things to be easy for the Fire Ferrets given that Korra should basically be like having a 4th member on the field.

Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #98 on: Mar 14, 2012 09:37 pm »

Guys.
Guys.  Flipping out. Cheesy

From the new trailer.  Note the chambered position of the arms:

Now a pic of the Filipino stick fighting art of escrima:

Open chambered position of the stick-fighting Equalist:

And open-chambered position of an escrima fighter:

I think they're doing escrima with the taser sticks. Cheesy

Eman5805
Untethered

A Soulful Brother

« Reply #99 on: Mar 17, 2012 07:48 am »

Like Nightwing from Arkham City. Sweet.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: