Sep 02, 2014 09:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're looking for where the live-action movie thread went, read this announcement.

ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Martial Arts Discussion in Korra  (Read 10198 times)
PiElord
Banned Member
Untethered

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #50 on: Jul 24, 2011 10:36 pm »

I kind of have a grudge against MMA.

Nothing against the sport in general, but I've known a lot of guys who bragged about it, and were complete tools who pushed other people around. I'm definitely not saying all, or even most MMA fighters do this, but there are definitely some that do, and those people are the same ones who only really take it because they like to hurt people.

In other words, the shoe fits XD

"Can you imagine what I could do, if I would do all I can?"
- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Eman5805
Untethered

A Soulful Brother

« Reply #51 on: Jul 24, 2011 10:39 pm »

There's that stigma attached. It's not just you. Watching The Ultimate Fighter actually turned me off of MMA for that reason.

Still, it do like the fighting style in general. And I'm itching to know who fights like that. Probably Bolin.

Lavanya Six
Untethered

« Reply #52 on: Jul 24, 2011 10:48 pm »

I'm wondering if all these flashy moves they're incorporating into the bending could be taken as a sign of the post-war climate influencing the various bending styles. During the war, there's societal pressure to ditch the colorful stuff for practical no-nonsense moves. After the war's been over for a while and the older generations start to die off, kids coming into the various arts loosen up. Add to that, the kids in the United Republic -- and elsewhere, if these 3-on-3 tournaments or variations upon them are widespread -- will start trying to out-do one another on the arena floor, both to impress their rivals and the audience.
Eman5805
Untethered

A Soulful Brother

« Reply #53 on: Jul 24, 2011 10:52 pm »

I'm in favor of that line of thinking. I mean by a LOT. I use something similar in my own lil' scribblings.

It's all about flash and substance for the audiences benefit. Lots of unnecessary movements.

azekeprofit
Untethered

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #54 on: Jul 24, 2011 11:35 pm »

Thanks.

Really cool.

Though the tricking part felt too flashy and unnecessary. But hey -- as long as it looks cool.

Also, note that the Bryan made the music for that video himself (under the name Ginormous).

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Gye Byrd
Untethered

« Reply #55 on: Jul 24, 2011 11:39 pm »

For me only Donnie Yen can do staged MMA well. Here's a fight scene from his movie Flashpoint. Not sure I have much confidence in those MMA guys used as reference for the show. I'm sure they're good in real life, but good in real life doesn't usually lead to good on the stage. Oh well, we'll see. I'm sure Sifu Kisu will make sure it translates into beautiful fight choreography.
familyyguy
Banned Member
Untethered

« Reply #56 on: Jul 24, 2011 11:40 pm »

When I watched the Korra trailer i suddenly wanted to learn martial arts lol.

Old School
Untethered

« Reply #57 on: Jul 24, 2011 11:46 pm »

Thanks.

Really cool.

Though the tricking part felt too flashy and unnecessary. But hey -- as long as it looks cool.

We're talking about teenagers engaging in a professional sport in front of thousands of people.

Of course they're going to do stuff that's flashy and unnecessary. Tongue
ina300
Untethered

« Reply #58 on: Jul 24, 2011 11:47 pm »

Nothing against the sport in general, but I've known a lot of guys who bragged about it, and were complete tools who pushed other people around. I'm definitely not saying all, or even most MMA fighters do this, but there are definitely some that do, and those people are the same ones who only really take it because they like to hurt people.

Most of the current UFC champions are really humble nice guys, especially GSP and Cain Velasquez. I'm not saying there aren't tapout wearing douche bags out there. But most of the great fighters are very humble and quite.

As for MMA in Korra, I doubt grappling will play a significant role, but Muay Thai might be utilized.

Old School
Untethered

« Reply #59 on: Jul 25, 2011 12:00 am »

To be fair, people like that exist in all physical contact sports. The typical "jock" stereotype exists for a reason. Undecided
DuskQ
Untethered

Piandao.org

« Reply #60 on: Jul 25, 2011 12:03 am »

The MMA seems to be very particular like the traditional martial arts styles. I think Korra will still use Tai Chi for water bending for instance, but seeing her have to adapt to a new style will be intriguing. Aang never had to prepare to fight a style of martial arts that doesn't mesh with his traditional forms. MMA may be strictly the form of the Equalists.

I think MMA fighters could be like any fighters in that you can go into the sport for many reasons. Some want to harness their energy in productive way. Some have no interest in competitions. Some want to have a constructive way of feeling and dealing with pain left over from childhood. Some want to get in shape. Some want to have a justifiable reason to be violent. In my experience working with batters, the last often tends to be true.

Whatever the case, I see the same attention to detail and strive to make the show unique in it's visuals that made A:tLA so special
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 10:51 pm by DuskQ » Logged

Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #61 on: Jul 25, 2011 01:12 am »

Thanks.

Really cool.

We're talking about teenagers engaging in a professional sport in front of thousands of people.

You guys just sold me on the new "Tricking" element.  When I first saw it in MoonlitShadow's upload (THANK YOU JENNY!!!!!!!!!!! Grin ) I hated it.  I hate most "Hollywood-ized" fight sequences; I started watching AtLA specifically because it had real martial arts in it.  To see it go the way of Hollywood-ization with TLoK is ... discouraging, to say the least.  But if it's part of a plot point that these punk kids learn they need to stop showing off and need to start being practical in battle, then I'm all for it.

The MMA in the video is, sadly ... everything I was afraid of.  Did you see the part in the video (0:46-0:48) where the one fighter couldn't even fully extend his leg for the kick?  Stretch your knee joints, people! Cheesy  Another beautiful thing of classical Asian marital arts - not just kung fu but also the many styles of karate as some examples - is that they emphasis posture by way of thinking of your spine as a ridgepole; this allows for maximum use of force stemming from whole-body power.  And these MMA fighters are doing the typical Western hunch at the shoulders, preventing whole-body power and thus an inefficient use of force.  It ... it just goes against everything I've ever been taught.  If there are Western martial artists here, I'm sorry if my view may offend you, but I just do not want that anywhere near the Avatar world.

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to remember AtLA as the glory days and TLoK as the dark times I'd rather forget... Embarrassed

"And just as the imagination is limitless, so too are the possibilities of the sword."

Keeper of one of Piandao's wooden jian, Sokka's set of free swordplay armor, and the jian on sale in AtLA 304

Keeper of Aang's cape (TLoK)
Old School
Untethered

« Reply #62 on: Jul 25, 2011 07:42 am »

Thanks.

Really cool.

You guys just sold me on the new "Tricking" element.  When I first saw it in MoonlitShadow's upload (THANK YOU JENNY!!!!!!!!!!! Grin ) I hated it.  I hate most "Hollywood-ized" fight sequences; I started watching AtLA specifically because it had real martial arts in it.  To see it go the way of Hollywood-ization with TLoK is ... discouraging, to say the least.  But if it's part of a plot point that these punk kids learn they need to stop showing off and need to start being practical in battle, then I'm all for it.

The MMA in the video is, sadly ... everything I was afraid of.  Did you see the part in the video (0:46-0:48) where the one fighter couldn't even fully extend his leg for the kick?  Stretch your knee joints, people! Cheesy  Another beautiful thing of classical Asian marital arts - not just kung fu but also the many styles of karate as some examples - is that they emphasis posture by way of thinking of your spine as a ridgepole; this allows for maximum use of force stemming from whole-body power.  And these MMA fighters are doing the typical Western hunch at the shoulders, preventing whole-body power and thus an inefficient use of force.  It ... it just goes against everything I've ever been taught.  If there are Western martial artists here, I'm sorry if my view may offend you, but I just do not want that anywhere near the Avatar world.

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to remember AtLA as the glory days and TLoK as the dark times I'd rather forget... Embarrassed

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'll admit the MMA in the video looks fairly un-Avatar-like, but Sifu Kisu is still the head martial arts choreographer for the show, and I trust him not to lead Korra astray.
FOXP2
Can't handle Debate & Discussion
Untethered

« Reply #63 on: Jul 26, 2011 01:12 pm »

MMA requires mastering all four ranges of martial arts: kicking range, punching range, tackling range, grappling range. Most traditional martial arts are limited either primarily to the first 2 (kararte, Kung fu, Tae kuan do, etc) or the latter 2 (Judo, Aikido, Wrestling in general).
I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your personal observation.

I was quoting Wikipedia then, so its not my personal observation.
Bane
Untethered

It's a Korra Sprite

« Reply #64 on: Jul 26, 2011 01:37 pm »

Personally, I think some MMA influences will be nice in the show. I do enjoy the chinese martial arts used to represent bending, but I actually practice Japanese martial arts. MMA has alot of roots in these styles so if I'm lucky I'll see some stuff I know.

Not to mention some of the japanese styles do suit elements very well...
Akido - Water Bending
Judo - Earth Bending
Tae Kwon Do - Air Bending
Karate (the more agressive variations of the style) - Fire Bending

I am pleased to see MMA, but I still hope to see primarily Sifu Kisu's choreography implemented as it provides to the feel of the show.

FOXP2
Can't handle Debate & Discussion
Untethered

« Reply #65 on: Jul 26, 2011 01:46 pm »

I will but money on the "tricking" being very common amongst the airbender kids.
Firenation2
Untethered

« Reply #66 on: Jul 26, 2011 01:47 pm »

TAE KWON DO IS NOT THE SAME THING AS KARATE

... sorry, had to say that.

(it's also not Japanese, although it's influenced by it)

Do the thing.
Bane
Untethered

It's a Korra Sprite

« Reply #67 on: Jul 26, 2011 01:56 pm »

^^^
You're right, Tae Kwon Do is technically Korean.

Also, I never said that Tae Kwon Do and Karate were the same. Wink

Firenation2
Untethered

« Reply #68 on: Jul 26, 2011 02:17 pm »

You listed it with all the Japanese martial arts. Tongue

Do the thing.
Bane
Untethered

It's a Korra Sprite

« Reply #69 on: Jul 26, 2011 02:35 pm »

Fair enough, haha. I honestly didn't expect anyone to recognize the difference of origin.
Sometimes they all get blended together in my head and I forget even. Smiley

Anyway, I'm also curious if they'll incorporate the throws/take downs into the show some how? Although, that doesn't seem very bender-ish.

Iyineda
Untethered

« Reply #70 on: Jul 26, 2011 05:11 pm »

^

I fail to see how judo can be related to the earthbending arts. Hung gar, yes, David Douillet's judo,... I don't see it.

♫ They see me brolin', they hatin' ♫
air22
Untethered

« Reply #71 on: Jul 26, 2011 05:38 pm »

Anyway, I'm also curious if they'll incorporate the throws/take downs into the show some how? Although, that doesn't seem very bender-ish.

I'm wondering the same as well.  When MMA tournaments first began, stand-up styles were initially popular.  Once grapplers, such as Judoka, proved their effectiveness against those who only knew striking, learning to grapple became a staple of the sport and has been since.

The clip they showed, however, only featured one MMA takedown.  It's a little hard for me to think of MMA without the takedowns -- not the least of which is because without them, "mixed" I feel is taken out of the name.  At that point, it should just be called "Muy Thai," "Taekwondo," or whatever the striking style used is.

I can totally understand how that style of martial art (grappling) wouldn't always look so pretty animated, though  Tongue  Still, it'd be something new to the Avatar world and would be pretty cool to see!
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #72 on: Jul 26, 2011 06:17 pm »

Thanks.

Really cool.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'll admit the MMA in the video looks fairly un-Avatar-like, but Sifu Kisu is still the head martial arts choreographer for the show, and I trust him not to lead Korra astray.

I don't know that we'll specifically get a plotline about such a thing, but simply portraying the Krew as a better than the professional tournament fighters could have the needed implication.

I'm also looking forward to one moron flailing all about, only to levitate one rock after the fact, and then getting his nose broken by Bolin.

"What can I say? Beneath my cocksure exterior I have terribly low self-esteem."

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."
TF:MTMTE Annual 2012, by James Roberts
Sword-of-Sokka
Untethered

« Reply #73 on: Jul 26, 2011 09:28 pm »

Personally, I think some MMA influences will be nice in the show. I do enjoy the chinese martial arts used to represent bending, but I actually practice Japanese martial arts. MMA has alot of roots in these styles so if I'm lucky I'll see some stuff I know.

Akido - Water Bending
Judo - Earth Bending

I am pleased to see MMA, but I still hope to see primarily Sifu Kisu's choreography implemented as it provides to the feel of the show.
I would love these Jappanes arts to be used as well.  The idea of some karate variations being used for Firebending is a great nod to the origins of the art, when the Shaolin missionaries went  to Japan and taught their gong fu.  In the Avatar world, just as in the real world, Northern Shaolinquan evolves into karate.  Aikido would be amazing for waterbending, too.  I still have fond memories of training in this art as a teenager, and the arm lock the Fire Sages do in AtLA 108 always looked to me like the koryu gaish (sp?), so it could even be used for firebending in addition to waterbending.  So many ways the evolution of bending could have been excellently portrayed, and instead we're getting popular media/Ultimate Fighter-style MMA...  Well, hopefully Sifu Kisu will know what to do with it.

Personally I'd love to see some bending using swords, too, like the AtLA early concept art of the Waterbender Avatar wielding a jian.  A katanna- or ninjato-wielding, kenjitsu- or ninjitsu-using bender would be too awesome for words.

"And just as the imagination is limitless, so too are the possibilities of the sword."

Keeper of one of Piandao's wooden jian, Sokka's set of free swordplay armor, and the jian on sale in AtLA 304

Keeper of Aang's cape (TLoK)
Koala-Sheep
Untethered

« Reply #74 on: Jul 27, 2011 02:27 am »

Akido - Water Bending
Judo - Earth Bending

I would love these Jappanes arts to be used as well.  The idea of some karate variations being used for Firebending is a great nod to the origins of the art, when the Shaolin missionaries went  to Japan and taught their gong fu.  In the Avatar world, just as in the real world, Northern Shaolinquan evolves into karate.  Aikido would be amazing for waterbending, too.  I still have fond memories of training in this art as a teenager, and the arm lock the Fire Sages do in AtLA 108 always looked to me like the koryu gaish (sp?), so it could even be used for firebending in addition to waterbending.  So many ways the evolution of bending could have been excellently portrayed, and instead we're getting popular media/Ultimate Fighter-style MMA...  Well, hopefully Sifu Kisu will know what to do with it.

Personally I'd love to see some bending using swords, too, like the AtLA early concept art of the Waterbender Avatar wielding a jian.  A katanna- or ninjato-wielding, kenjitsu- or ninjitsu-using bender would be too awesome for words.

Yes I'd like to see true aikido tech. in Avatar too! As a long time student and teacher of Aikido, I've always thought of it as being closer to earthbending with a little bit of waterbending's "tai chi" flowing movements. Aikido is about being connected to the earth, having your focus on your center, like the middle of a circle. Firebending is offensive, and Aikido is mostly defensive, while redirecting an attacker's energy gracefully; hence the waterbending. Heck, even Airbending's evading nature and focus on circle movements like going around your attacker is found in aikido. So, yeah three out of four isn't bad Smiley
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: