Aug 17, 2019 11:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenzin  (Read 225432 times)
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #2375 on: Jun 04, 2013 06:19 pm »

Yeah
(I wouldn't count Korra, she couldn't Airbend until she was 17 and can't have Airbending children herself).

I can't remember now, was it ever confirmed by Word of Bryke that children of Avatars can only bend their parents' native element or just that  descendents cannot inherit any Avatar powers? 

I think they said that Avatar can only have their native element children. This means Korra can only have waterbending children. If she married Mako than she can have a waterbender, firebender, possibly an earthbender (I think the odds are low on this one) or a non-bender.

Yeah they confirmed it in an interview in the back of the novelization for the ATLA finale. They said that Katara and Aang could only have Waterbenders, Airbenders, or nonbenders. So no Airbabiez for Korra unless she finds someone descended from an Air Nomad. I would think that Mako would have the potential to have Earthbenders to some degree.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2376 on: Jun 04, 2013 06:21 pm »

Tenzin travels with Aang for a period of time of which he kept journals

Where's this come from? I've never heard of it before.

I imagine the things Tenzin accomplished was considered late compared to Aang and Katara and their friends. Think about it. Say he didn't master airbending until his early twenties (Aang -12), probably didn't start dating until his mid to late twenties let alone find a wife (Aang -13), he didn't have a family with children until after Aang passed (Aang had his third child when he was 32, Tenzin was 41 when Jinora was born). I imagine Tenzin felt pressured to give Aang what he wanted (or what Tenzin believed he wanted) before he passed away. It must have been a constant personal struggle of his.

I like to think that while Tenzin's Airbending power was strong, he really struggled with the philosophy and techniques. Fans like the idea that a person being a Bender means that their personality is naturally reflective of their element, but Tenzin strikes me as very non-Air. He's rigid, dogmatic, grumpy, skeptical, and has trouble connecting with people. He's like the exact opposite of Aang. He's an un-clever Sokka. It just seems natural that he would have a lot of trouble with Aang's teaching style.

The best part is the parallels with Tenzin's own attempts to teach Korra. Does he think that you have to wait years for Airbending lessons to just click because that's what he was forced to do? Is he a lousy teacher because he never really learned Aang's lessons?

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2377 on: Jun 04, 2013 09:53 pm »

^I'll have to find it but it's in Jinora's description or something in the Republic City game. It said she loves reading her father's journals from when he traveled with Aang.

I don't think he's naturally grumpy, only when people don't do what they're suppose to. Otherwise, he seems pretty content. He's definitely Sokka-like and all business. But yeah, he's really different from Aang in personality, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case at all.

Edit: Found it.

Honestly, I was excited when I discovered it. It's a whole new side to Tenzin. A writer. I wonder if these journals are from when he was a kid, or if he wrote them from memory. Maybe he wrote them after Aang's death. It could have served as a coping mechanism. I wonder if he still writes or if he's published any books. Perhaps, he's written some books on air nomad philosophy; they could be used as teaching tools for the acolytes or anybody else who was interested. It would be one way to keep the air nomad culture alive- through an idea.. If he really struggled with the philosophy growing up, then he would probably have a deeper understanding of it now, or rather another way to teach it.

The Air Nomads' Guide to Finding Peace and Balance: Keeping The Philosophy Alive and Well in Our Hearts and on Our Coffee Tables.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm by Ms.WW » Logged

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #2378 on: Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm »

Also like his uncle, Tenzin is a relevantly calm man surrounded by craziness 247.    

I wouldn't be surprised if Tenzin was a bit like Korra when he was training. Not in a hot-headed and unrestrained way, but it took him a while to "be the leaf" and connect to the element of freedom.    

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2379 on: Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm »

^Actually, I had this headcanon that he got really angry when he was a kid, when something set him off- like screaming bloody murder angry. Tongue

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #2380 on: Jun 04, 2013 10:24 pm »

^ Yeah, I can see a young Tenzin's face turning red and threatening to kill his siblings if they interrupted his meditation.    

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #2381 on: Jun 04, 2013 11:43 pm »

Well, he wasn't always grumpy and rigid. That's what the 'just like old times' hinted at. At some point the responsibilities of being owner of ATI, head of the acolyte monastery, the Next Last Airbender, and Councilmember hit him like a badgermole.

It's in there still. How else would he endure his kids. I wish all the burden could at least temporarily slide off of him, so we can see Tenzin Unchained Cheesy

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2382 on: Jun 05, 2013 12:54 am »

^ Yeah, I can see a young Tenzin's face turning red and threatening to kill his siblings if they interrupted his meditation.   
While not truly genetic (or could it be?), when you think about it, he did seem to inherit his Mother and Father's ability to exaggerate their faces to high degrees.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2383 on: Jun 06, 2013 03:18 am »

^He certainly takes after his mother when it comes to unconscious bending when being emotionally worked up. I guess Aang possessed that trait, too, come to think of it.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2384 on: Jun 06, 2013 08:38 am »

^He certainly takes after his mother when it comes to unconscious bending when being emotionally worked up. I guess Aang possessed that trait, too, come to think of it.
And in turn, Ikki inherited that trait. Not sure sure Jinora or Meelo have it since she's too clam, and Meelo's too crazy. I wonder when Korra and Suki get theirs from.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2385 on: Jun 09, 2013 07:07 pm »

Guys. I just fangasmed so hard, like you don't even know.

By exfirelordozai on tumblr.

nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #2386 on: Jun 10, 2013 01:53 am »

^ XD

That's adorable. Look at his expression <3
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #2387 on: Jun 10, 2013 02:38 am »

He would totally wear a one-piece male bathing suit with legs, and a loincloth, and still be embarrassed.

Naked tenzin time won't take off anytime soon...

Adult!Aang would keep rockin' the red speedo like a boss Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2013 02:41 am by Yougo » Logged

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2388 on: Jun 10, 2013 06:49 am »

Pema would argue against that.

proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #2389 on: Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm »

Anyone else think that Tenzin was a pimp in his day, and this really made his Dad upset?
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #2390 on: Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm »

Anyone else think that Tenzin was a pimp in his day, and this really made his Dad upset?

Haha, I've always taken the opposite stance -- that Tenzin was really awkward while Bumi and Kya were social butterflies.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2391 on: Jun 26, 2013 01:56 am »

I've imagined him trying to be but failing awkwardly. Not too unlike Aang in this:

(credit)

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2392 on: Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am »

In my head, he wasn't really interested in girls (romantically). He and Lin just sort of stumbled into their relationship because of their friendship. Then after they broke off (either a long time after or short time after), he met Pema.

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2393 on: Jun 26, 2013 04:02 pm »

^^That was one of the funniest scenes from "Imprisoned". I could imagine him having his father's goofiness  when he met Pema.

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2394 on: Jun 26, 2013 07:10 pm »

In my head, he wasn't really interested in girls (romantically). He and Lin just sort of stumbled into their relationship because of their friendship. Then after they broke off (either a long time after or short time after), he met Pema.

I think he was interested in girls but had problems in finding one because.

a) His serious personality.

b) Finding a girl that would like "Tenzin" and not "Tenzin the son of Avatar Aang and second last airbender).

That's why he hooked up with Lin. He knew her when the were kids and knew what it was like to be the child of someone famous and were probably pressured into getting together which may had lead to them having a bitter breakup.

My theory suggests that Tenzin and Lin ended their relationship on a bad note because Tenzin was too afraid to end it straight to her face and assumed it was over due to drifting them apart (he is the type who would end a relationship through text messaging) while Lin would be to stubborn to admit that it was going to end one way or another.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2395 on: Jun 26, 2013 08:52 pm »

I think he was interested in girls but had problems in finding one because.

a) His serious personality.

b) Finding a girl that would like "Tenzin" and not "Tenzin the son of Avatar Aang and second last airbender).

That's why he hooked up with Lin. He knew her when the were kids and knew what it was like to be the child of someone famous and were probably pressured into getting together which may had lead to them having a bitter breakup.

My theory suggests that Tenzin and Lin ended their relationship on a bad note because Tenzin was too afraid to end it straight to her face and assumed it was over due to drifting them apart (he is the type who would end a relationship through text messaging) while Lin would be to stubborn to admit that it was going to end one way or another.
Actually it was stated that they broke up because Tenzin wanted kids while Lin didn't.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #2396 on: Jun 26, 2013 08:55 pm »

^ Stated?

Where?

Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2397 on: Jun 26, 2013 09:24 pm »

^M&B said in those "Making of the Legend" clips (episode 10 I believe)

@Red Hawk.

Yes, I know that Tenzin wanted a family while Lin didn't. I was referring to what "could've" led to them realizing that it wasn't going to work out because they wanted different things in life. Aang's death is what probably led to Tenzin realizing that he needed (and wanted) to settle down and have some airbending kids.

Let's not forget the fact that Lin remained bitter for a least a decade towards Tenzin and taking some of it on Korra (who didn't really have nothing to with the fallout) suggests that the break up wasn't mutual. Only time will tell if we get a full detail on what really happened.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2398 on: Jun 26, 2013 09:33 pm »

It was in one of the making of a legend

The way I understand them, Lin couldn't handle the idea of having to take care of children. She just didn't want a family.

But I think it goes deeper than that, like why she didn't want a family. Maybe she doubted her abilities as a mother, and maybe she was afraid of what that might mean for her career. (Her sense of duty to the safty of the people and keeping justice seems strongest above all other drives.)

Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2399 on: Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am »

^ Maybe something happened to Toph while she was on the job as Chief of Police. Lin may have been fairly young at the time, although this would happen sometime after the incident with Yakone. For all we know, Lin could be scared to have any kids because she's afraid about what will happen to them if she gets killed or hurt in the line of duty.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: