Jul 31, 2014 12:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Korra and the Avatar State  (Read 28284 times)
Mowie
Chief Crankypants

^ I can relate.

« Reply #175 on: Apr 19, 2012 01:51 pm »

Well considering that it seems like most of her life has been sheltered, even with her short fuse I really don't see an instance where the avatar state would have been triggered.

Right, but it also makes me wonder...with that sheltered life, she grew up knowing she was the avatar. The OWL must have told her about the avatar state, or she had to have learned about it at some point. So, did they do avatar state training with her? Has she tried, but failed, on her own to achieve it?

I would think with Korra being Korra she would want to excel at every part of being the avatar- including mastering its most awesome power.

I keep: Tenzin's dramatic cape movements, Pema's motherly love, and Piandao's love of the arts.
momo_toph26
Chief Crankypants

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #176 on: Apr 19, 2012 01:59 pm »

Well considering that it seems like most of her life has been sheltered, even with her short fuse I really don't see an instance where the avatar state would have been triggered.

Right, but it also makes me wonder...with that sheltered life, she grew up knowing she was the avatar. The OWL must have told her about the avatar state, or she had to have learned about it at some point. So, did they do avatar state training with her? Has she tried, but failed, on her own to achieve it?

I would think with Korra being Korra she would want to excel at every part of being the avatar- including mastering its most awesome power.

I'm pretty sure the AS is directly connected to your spiritual link and Korra has shown a complete lack of any spiritual knowledge.

Sig by arasam22
Revolation
Chief Crankypants

"She's crazy, and needs to go down." -Iroh

« Reply #177 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure the AS is directly connected to your spiritual link and Korra has shown a complete lack of any spiritual knowledge.

It's not about the spiritual link really. Get put in enough danger and you'll enter it. It's more like that it's a defense mechanism, and Korra's been sheltered her whole life, so no need to go into the avatar state...yet.

I just wonder...when Aang went into the state at the southern air temple, all the avatar relics and 'memorializations' around the world lit up.

Why didn't that happen when he used it against zuko and his crew in the 2nd episode to do the whirlpool? Did it happen when he froze himself in the iceburg as well?

And let's say Korra hasn't gone into the avatar state yet. Once she does, will the relics and statues(mainly Aang's statue) all light up again? But we still don't know why the relics only lit up for Aang when he saw gyatso's bones and not previous to that in episode 2. We need to understand the necessary circumstances.

It would be cool to see all the relics light up again, and world reaction. Hey, it would give us a quick glimpse outside republic city.
Like somebody said before. Season 1: airbending&republic city issues, Season 2: Avatar state and spirit world issues
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 02:54 pm by Revolation » Logged

Think on a grand scale.
Mowie
Chief Crankypants

^ I can relate.

« Reply #178 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:46 pm »

It would be cool to see all the relics light up again

Oh my ♥ if I see Aang's statue light up when Korra goes into the avatar state...

Also, I think that in ATLA they were just showing all the relics and avatars lighting up to show the spiritual nature of the avatar state - to get us to understand the legacy and mysticism associated with it. (Maybe?)

I keep: Tenzin's dramatic cape movements, Pema's motherly love, and Piandao's love of the arts.
familyyguy
Banned Member
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #179 on: Apr 19, 2012 04:39 pm »

Oh my ♥ if I see Aang's statue light up when Korra goes into the avatar state...

That would be sooooo sick.

SMBH
ASN Management
Chief Crankypants

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #180 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:14 pm »

Yeah, this is probably one of the primary reasons, if not THE reason, for Korra never entering the Avatar State before.

However, it's also entirely possible that she's not the first Avatar in history that never entered the Avatar State before their late teen years. Roku was clearly able to master the AS during his Avatar training, yet we don't know about any instances of him going glowy when he was younger. He probably never did, because if he had, he would have known that he was the Avatar, which he didn't, he was taken completely by surprise when the Fire Sages showed up at his birthday party. So for all we know, Aang's premature glowiness is an exception, and the lack of glowing until after finishing all the training is the rule.

Also, just throwing an idea out there -- since Korra is such an opposite of Aang in so many ways, what if the AS triggers for her at a moment where she lacks emotions, or where all her emotions are perfectly in check? Korra seems to be a very hot-blooded and emotional person, so she's probably never had a moment of icy, detached, calm rage or something like that in her life. Maybe something happens that drains all the emotion out of her, and then BAM, glowing for the first time.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #181 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:38 pm »

Ok....totally changing the subject here. But do you think Korra might turn into Aang (a la Kyoshi) and have some sort of encounter with Tenzin?

Yeah just like how Aang turned into Roku in 'The Deserter'. I hope somehow Katara is there as well.

Signature removed due to size violation. ~ Icy

A:TLA > A:LOK until proven.
aa623
Chief Crankypants

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #182 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:51 pm »

Yeah Aang turned into Roku and Kyoshi, I wouldn't mind her turning into Aang or another Avatar.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Chief Crankypants

Who, me?

« Reply #183 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:55 pm »

Also, just throwing an idea out there -- since Korra is such an opposite of Aang in so many ways, what if the AS triggers for her at a moment where she lacks emotions, or where all her emotions are perfectly in check? Korra seems to be a very hot-blooded and emotional person, so she's probably never had a moment of icy, detached, calm rage or something like that in her life. Maybe something happens that drains all the emotion out of her, and then BAM, glowing for the first time.

That's an interesting theory. But she would still be enraged, so it wouldn't be all that different. I can't imagine it happening when she's perfectly calm.

familyyguy
Banned Member
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #184 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:52 pm »

Maybe Korra will get help from Aang to go into the avatar state, just like how Aang got help from Roku on how to end the war.

luvavatar
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #185 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:56 pm »

It could be a moment where she just gives up as the odds are stacked against her and then she goes into the AS.
aa623
Chief Crankypants

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #186 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:58 pm »

I'm thinking Amon causes her to go into the Avatar State the first time in the series, maybe as he's reaching out for her.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Revolation
Chief Crankypants

"She's crazy, and needs to go down." -Iroh

« Reply #187 on: Apr 19, 2012 08:31 pm »

If Amon manages to chi-block Korra in the avatar state, he would be the best villain ever. We knows it's possible seeing as Azula's lightning basically had his chi blocked for the entirety of season 3. A truly helpless avatar state would be something to see. Amon reaching for her mask and her glowing up and owning everybody is predictable. Not that I wouldn't love to see korra own in the avatar state of course. Just that it's predictable. Maybe the first time korra glows it up, she catches Amon off guard, and then we go to the scene where she's crying in Tenzin's arms in the trailers because of all the destruction she caused and her lack of control?

Then the next confrontation, Amon is ready to combat the avatar state? Who knows. I just hope Amon isn't a stupid villain(his i'll save you for last' line already makes him drop some smart points) and instead is smart but not in a Aizen(from bleach) type of way(aizen's smartness was cool at first, but his 'just as planned' scenarios destroyed my suspension of belief got annoying fast)

Think on a grand scale.
The_Elite711
Chief Crankypants

Will you have mercy...or take revenge?

« Reply #188 on: Apr 19, 2012 09:02 pm »

It is a defense mechanism. In The Avatar State episode, Roku pretty much states that that is what the State is.

Roku: The Avatar state is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars.

So with that said, I don't think it has anything to do with one's spiritualism. Its just caused by distress or endangerment.

Keeps: Roku bending the elements at the same time, Water Tribe subs in DoBS, Korra's hat, the Probending arena!
Fleur du Feu
Chief Crankypants

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #189 on: Apr 20, 2012 01:31 am »

But a fully realized Avatar can use it at will.

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
The_Elite711
Chief Crankypants

Will you have mercy...or take revenge?

« Reply #190 on: Apr 20, 2012 01:59 am »

Not to mention with full control over it so its not like The Incredible Hulk!

Keeps: Roku bending the elements at the same time, Water Tribe subs in DoBS, Korra's hat, the Probending arena!
RCNano13
Chief Crankypants

Howl is Not Amused

« Reply #191 on: Apr 20, 2012 02:48 pm »

I have a feeling that Amon will force into the Avatar State for the first time. That would be interesting to see.

momo_toph26
Chief Crankypants

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #192 on: Apr 20, 2012 08:39 pm »

Any guesses on when we'll see her go into the Avatar State? (only guesses, no leaks) I know Aang went into it early because the story had to be established fast, but I would still like it to happen relatively soon. Waiting a whole season may be too long a wait for me lol.

Sig by arasam22
King Kazma
Chief Crankypants

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #193 on: Apr 20, 2012 08:44 pm »

I sort of think it would be a cool way to end the first season, with Korra activating the Avatar State for the first time in some desperate effort to protect her friends from Amon or something.
TheLionTurtle
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #194 on: Apr 21, 2012 01:24 pm »

It's not about the spiritual link really. Get put in enough danger and you'll enter it. It's more like that it's a defense mechanism, and Korra's been sheltered her whole life, so no need to go into the avatar state...yet.

I just wonder...when Aang went into the state at the southern air temple, all the avatar relics and 'memorializations' around the world lit up.

Why didn't that happen when he used it against zuko and his crew in the 2nd episode to do the whirlpool? Did it happen when he froze himself in the iceburg as well?

That bothered me so much when I watched those episodes!  I couldn't figure out how they didn't realize Aang was back when he escaped from the iceberg, but the statues lit up when he was at the air temple.  Maybe it has to do with location somehow?  Aang was near all of those Avatar statues in the Southern Air Temple episode. 

And maybe Amon will try to take away Korra's bending and she'll go into the beastly Avatar state--but I doubt they'll show her in it too soon.  I'm really excited to see her with her eyes all lit up being all epic though!
einsteinboricua
Chief Crankypants

Sokka's twin brother and Ozai's cool agent.

einsteinboricua@hotmail.com
« Reply #195 on: Apr 30, 2012 08:59 am »

HI! I'm back after a LONG absence, so please bear with me while I get up to date with the rules and the ever popular Search function. I did not see this anywhere, so mods, feel free to bend this thread out of existence if there's one like it.  Grin

So, I'm beginning to wonder why Korra has yet to demonstrate the glow. I think we will see it eventually, I just wonder if future episodes will force her to demonstrate the glow temporarily.

Saturday's episode, where Korra accepted her fears, reminded me of when Aang opened his chakras. Precisely, the first chakra he opened was the one blocked by fear.

Could it be possible that throughout the series, Korra will indirectly and unknowingly open each of the chakras culminating in her control over the Avatar State?

Merged into "Korra and the Avatar State". ~SMBH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012 06:50 pm by SMBH » Logged

Proud Sukka shipper. avvie by XXbAsXX
I keep Appa's clumps of hair on the river, the invasion, the places of the invasion, and EK's documents and belongings
-Remind me again how you're related to Sokka?
-Why I'm his third cousin's brother's wife's step niece's great uncle....twice removed.
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #196 on: Apr 30, 2012 08:47 pm »

Any speculation on it? Do you think Korra even know it exists?
SMBH
ASN Management
Chief Crankypants

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #197 on: Apr 30, 2012 08:50 pm »

The Avatar State in TLOK merged into the older thread Korra and the Avatar State, on the same subject.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #198 on: Apr 30, 2012 08:52 pm »

whoops, didn't know there was already a topic about it lol
TheTuninator
Chief Crankypants

« Reply #199 on: Apr 30, 2012 09:07 pm »

What I'm really curious as to is whether anything past Korra's eyes will glow.

I mean, the eyes alone would still be badass, but it won't have the visual distinctiveness or impact of Aang entering the Avatar State, thanks to his tattoo.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: