Sep 01, 2014 02:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're looking for where the live-action movie thread went, read this announcement.

ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Korra and the Avatar State  (Read 29101 times)
strawbender
Untethered

i bend straws...

« on: Jul 23, 2010 12:18 am »

Do you guys think Korra mastered the Avatar State?

Heck, does she even know about the Avatar State?
I would imagine that Guru Pathik is dead by now, so who would teach her about it? As someone here on ASN mentioned, it's been over 100 years since the world trained or saw the Avatar, so I doubt anyone besides Guru Pathik would know how to train Korra on the Avatar State... perhaps she doesn't need it this time?

I hate being stuck in escalators, it delays you and mocks your intelligence...
The hardest thing to win is someone's heart.
Everyone deserves a card.
Humor is funny.
Bob and Steve FTW:D

Inventor of the title of 2010: The Year of The Last Airbender
Creator of the Evil Avatar Theory
GRUNT
Untethered

Makes art every once in a while.

« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am »

She'd probably know of it, but I don't think she'd be able to enter it at will.  It strikes me as being too easy-mode if she could enter and control the avatar state right off the bat :p.   
iamaang92
Untethered

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am »

Well, here's the thing: I don't give credit to Guru Pathik for Aang mastering the Avatar State, so I don't really find that relevant.
Chances are she hasn't mastered the Avatar state yet. Maybe Tenzin will help her, or Aang as a spirit guide

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
The_Elite711
Untethered

Will you have mercy...or take revenge?

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am »

I'm sure Aang would teach her about it, pretty much like Roku did to Aang himself.

Keeps: Roku bending the elements at the same time, Water Tribe subs in DoBS, Korra's hat, the Probending arena!
kitsuneopal
Untethered

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:21 am »

I think that Aang would tell her about the Avatar state. Just like Roku told Aang.

I doubt that she has mastered the Avatar state if she has not learned all the elements yet. 
strawbender
Untethered

i bend straws...

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:21 am »

But my question is, if previous Avatars could teach you about the Avatar State, then why didn't Roku do it to Aang?

Humor is funny.

Cold Rush
Untethered

Don't mind me. Just overtly stalkin ur forumz.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:22 am »

Could be another possible plot point. Having to master the Avatar State when you're so hotheaded could prove to be a challenge. Or she could end up triggering it too easily with outbursts. Making quite the unstable character. Hm. Not entirely sure I like that or not, but it's a thought. Would be very destructive in such a dense city, fueling the fire for those anti-bender groups.
PiElord
Banned Member
Untethered

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:23 am »

Personally, I don't think Guru Pathik is capable of death.

Anyway, as someone once said on this site, there's more than one way to master the Avatar State. The direct Chakra clearing was just the quickest one, and one that Guru Pathik likely discovered for the first time himself, through research of the chakras.

"Can you imagine what I could do, if I would do all I can?"
- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Kaiser Avatar
Untethered

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:23 am »

Why couldn't Aang teach her?  I mean, Aang knows the secrets (just jam a rock into your back and viola!) of the chakras and chi flow.  What's stopping him from sitting down with her in the Spirit World and clearing her head?  I'm frankly surprised Roku never did this with Aang in the TLA.  Maybe he wanted to wait until Aang had mastered all the elements before letting him unlock the most destructive power on earth.  So maybe Korra's waiting until she masters all four elements.

I am faster than 80% of snakes.
strawbender
Untethered

i bend straws...

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:26 am »

But Aang was going to learn the Avatar State before he mastered Fire?

Humor is funny.

gender bender
Untethered

^ Thats a boy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:36 am »

Why couldn't Aang teach her?  I mean, Aang knows the secrets (just jam a rock into your back and viola!) of the chakras and chi flow.  What's stopping him from sitting down with her in the Spirit World and clearing her head?  I'm frankly surprised Roku never did this with Aang in the TLA.  Maybe he wanted to wait until Aang had mastered all the elements before letting him unlock the most destructive power on earth.  So maybe Korra's waiting until she masters all four elements.
But i think it took Roku months to master the AS by do that

To bend another's gender, your own gender must be unbendable or you will be corrupted and changed
SokkaIsGod
Untethered

TEAM OPTIMISM!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:37 am »

Anyway, as someone once said on this site, there's more than one way to master the Avatar State. The direct Chakra clearing was just the quickest one, and one that Guru Pathik likely discovered for the first time himself, through research of the chakras.
Yes, everybody loves chakras.

Aang could probably explain it to Korra. And Roku didn't because the writers hadn't thought of it yet.
Kidding, but was it implied that Roku even knew it was possible to control the Avatar State? IIRC, he described it as a defense mechanism.

strawbender
Untethered

i bend straws...

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:39 am »

Maybe Korra is so awesome, she doesn't even need to learn the Avatar State.

Maybe she's the first Avatar not to use it.

Humor is funny.

gender bender
Untethered

^ Thats a boy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:40 am »

Aang could probably explain it to Korra. And Roku didn't because the writers hadn't thought of it yet.
Kidding, but was it implied that Roku even knew it was possible to control the Avatar State? IIRC, he described it as a defense mechanism.
Well in the avatar and the firelord(i think that the episode) Roku went in and out of the AS several time

To bend another's gender, your own gender must be unbendable or you will be corrupted and changed
PiElord
Banned Member
Untethered

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:41 am »

True, but in that same episode (that I think you're talking about) it showed the correct look of an Avatar who's mastered the Avatar State going into it. Rule of thumb is this:

If they have control, the eyes and tattoos will only flash for a second as the knowledge of all the past Avatars is temporarily given to them. If they don't have control, there is the continuous glow.

- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
SokkaIsGod
Untethered

TEAM OPTIMISM!

« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:45 am »

True, but in that same episode (that I think you're talking about) it showed the correct look of an Avatar who's mastered the Avatar State going into it. Rule of thumb is this:

Okay, I don't remember that but I'll have to watch the episode again.
There's absolutely no excuse for Roku not explaining to Aang that it's controllable then. I'm starting to think the writers actually hadn't thought of it.

Here's a question, though. When Aang hit his back, that was supposed to be him unlocking the chakra, right? Then why the continuous glow? And if he didn't have control, how did he stop himself from killing Ozai? If he was capable of that, his pacifistic nature probably would have stopped him from killing all those earthbenders in "The Avatar State"

Kaiser Avatar
Untethered

« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:47 am »

Simple SokkaIsGod.  Aang's pacifist nature was so pure and uncorrupted that it overcame the power of the Avatar State, thereby allowing him to master it... maybe...?  You know, it was really unclear.

I am faster than 80% of snakes.
PiElord
Banned Member
Untethered

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:51 am »

Okay, I don't remember that but I'll have to watch the episode again.
There's absolutely no excuse for Roku not explaining to Aang that it's controllable then. I'm starting to think the writers actually hadn't thought of it.

Roku spent years trying to master the Avatar State in the "brute force" method, by simply meditating until he finally got it. Aang didn't have time for this. He didn't know about the chakras.

Here's a question, though. When Aang hit his back, that was supposed to be him unlocking the chakra, right? Then why the continuous glow? And if he didn't have control, how did he stop himself from killing Ozai? If he was capable of that, his pacifistic nature probably would have stopped him from killing all those earthbenders in "The Avatar State"

The chakra was unlocked, but Aang was essentially put back into the Avatar State in the way that he was at the end of Crossroads of Destiny. Not under control yet, but still trying to attain it. He finally managed to gain control when the Avatar Spirit was about to kill Ozai.

This is further demonstrated by the fact that when he raised the ocean to put out the fires, his eyes and tattoos only glowed for a second before he did so.

- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Nelson64
Untethered

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am »

Do you guys think Korra mastered the Avatar State?

Heck, does she even know about the Avatar State?
I would imagine that Guru Pathik is dead by now, so who would teach her about it? As someone here on ASN mentioned, it's been over 100 years since the world trained or saw the Avatar, so I doubt anyone besides Guru Pathik would know how to train Korra on the Avatar State... perhaps she doesn't need it this time?

Aang can always help her...and if anything she could always look back further...ask Roku, Kyoshi, Kuruk? for help...maybe even as far back as the first few avatars...
christina896
Untethered

they/them/their

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2010 01:35 am »

maybe even as far back as the first few avatars...

I'm not sure if she would be able to do that. Aang described consulting Yangchen as looking deep inside himself. If four Avatars ago is deep, I don't think there's even a word to describe the first few Avatars.

Korrasami gives me life
I'm on tumblr
Jaydeazyy
Untethered

« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2010 01:39 am »

I'm not sure if she would be able to do that. Aang described consulting Yangchen as looking deep inside himself. If four Avatars ago is deep, I don't think there's even a word to describe the first few Avatars.
I'm pretty sure it stops at 4. One for each nation.

I wonder how the water tribe find out who's the Avatar.
representing watertribe
Untethered

Avi taken from comic by csimadmax.deviantart.com/

« Reply #21 on: Jul 23, 2010 01:41 am »

Maybe Tenzin can help her through the chakras. I'm sure Aang probably passed knowledge of them on to his son. After all, you don't have to be the Avatar to benefit from inner harmony.

Bro-crushing on Brolin.

Keeps: The Northern Water Tribe's boats, Sokka's "Well, I do believe in the power of stuff," the merchant's "As long as it's money," and Bolin's bro-swag.
Nelson64
Untethered

« Reply #22 on: Jul 23, 2010 01:50 am »

I'm pretty sure it stops at 4. One for each nation.

I wonder how the water tribe find out who's the Avatar.

the avatar spirit is part of Korra...I'm sure if she tried as hard as possible she could go as far back as she wanted...I mean I doubt the Avatar Spirit has a road sign that says "no spiritual enlightenment/consultation beyond this point"
Average Joe
Untethered

You know your screwed when a Ocean Spirit is mad.

« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2010 02:43 am »

^lol, I want to know how the first avatars found out about there status.

Jaydeazyy
Untethered

« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2010 02:45 am »

^lol, I want to know how the first avatars found out about there status.
yeah hahah. there should be an origin story for the first Avatar. that'd make a good mini series... it actually makes for a better story than just following another Avatar's journey.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: