Apr 24, 2017 09:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting things noticed in Avatar - Part 3  (Read 169731 times)
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #2750 on: Oct 02, 2015 07:17 am »

also, a bit of knowledge azula most certainly did have was the upcoming Sozin's Comet event.

who cares about the next avatar when the planet will be glorious and crispy by the end of summer? by the time the next avatar becomes any sort of concern, the southern watertribe will be dea... uh doomed, and the Northern water tribe in chains. (Swamp!Korra would have been interesting :-P)

i'd rather turn the question around and ask why Zhao and the likes were so bent on keeping Aang alive.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2751 on: Oct 02, 2015 06:13 pm »

Because Zhao was the one who would be in charge of Sieging the North, and that sounded hard. Grin

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #2752 on: Oct 07, 2015 07:18 pm »

Keeping Aang alive and contained for the rest of his life was the best option, as it would have ensured the Fire Nation would have nothing to fear from the avatar for the next six decades or so. Killing him would cut that window by at least two-thirds. Either plan works, the only difference between them is that Azula's approach was easier to manage but promised more limited results.

Also the avatar becomes exponentially harder to contain every time he or she learns a new form of bending.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #2753 on: Feb 06, 2016 04:52 pm »

Re-watching The Fortuneteller made me realize something, the fashion of Aunt Wu's village sticks out like a sore thumb. Usually the EK people that the Gaang would come across would wear the typical earthy green colors. Even the villages that don't wear the traditional colors of their elements still have a shared pattern (Kyoshi Islanders all wear blue, Lord Chin's village all wear white etc.)  Supposedly this is an Earth Kingdom town, but judging by the citizens' outfits, you'd think this was Republic City.

Aw how sweet, an earthbender and firebender couple during war times!

Aunt Wu herself wears yellow and gold that's more associated with airbenders or firebenders.

Meng wears pink like Ty Lee, while her neighbor wears the more traditional EK greens.

And can't forget the man who wears Water Tribe blues with red shoes.

This place... is weird. Tongue

So either Aunt Wu's people missed the memo about how your element decides your fashion sense or this is a very progressive, multi-elemental town with benders from all four nations, much like the fire colonies that became the United Republic.  
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2016 04:58 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #2754 on: Feb 06, 2016 09:44 pm »

I like this.  Nice eye.  Smiley

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2755 on: Feb 07, 2016 06:33 am »

If I remember correctly, Aunt Wu's village was just a spitting distance away from Yu Dao (the later Republic City).

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2756 on: Feb 07, 2016 02:29 pm »

Yu Dao doesn't become Republic City. The surrounding landscapes are completely different.

Aunt Wu's village was also created at the base of a volcano, which one would normally associate with Fire Nation culture. I think there's a fair case to be made of the village either being newer than the war itself and so settled by people from other regions, or a Fire Nation colony that was liberated long ago and absorbed some of its liberators.

Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #2757 on: Feb 08, 2016 07:16 am »

There is simple explanation to Aunt Wu village standing out so much from rest - most likely majority, if not all, strange outfits and so on were worn because they were told to wear them. In other words all it takes is for Aunt Wu to be different rather than entire village culture.
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2758 on: Feb 08, 2016 10:59 am »

note how quite everyone is living by Wu's word. i don't think if Wu came to a pre-existing town, she could have turned it so completely though and through. the whole town is about her.

I think that Aunt Wu gathered a crowd of followers, who settled down near her, either after joining and following her as she traveled all corners of the world and settled down herself, or came to her place by chance or word of mouth, and stuck around. things snowball from there, temporary dwellings are replaced by more permanent housing and a multicultural town of very loyal followers is born.

sig by me.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2759 on: Feb 08, 2016 06:46 pm »

That sounds plausible.

Perhaps she foresaw the volcano chasing away the old inhabitants, and when it was safe again, she moved on in and her followers fixed the place up.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2760 on: Feb 10, 2016 03:41 am »

I like your abandoned town idea. it fits with the volcano, and frankly, most of the town's inhabitants don't look like they're capable of doing things like building houses.
btw about Makapu village:

What the heck happened with that lava? i've been to a lava landscape, and while absolutely incredible and alien, it doesn't look like that!
methinks some avatar level bending saved Makapu Village before. it looks like some seriously badass avatar punched a lava stream square in the face and froze it like that.
This is what Roku did when he punched a hole in the far side of the volcano:

but to instafreeze it in that position? impressive.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 04:03 am by Yougo » Logged

sig by me.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna regret doing that, pal.

« Reply #2761 on: Feb 10, 2016 09:04 am »

The ATLA comics aren't consistent when it comes to eye color, I've just noticed this and it bothers me. Suki's eyes were always blue in the series and now they're green, Toph also has pale green eyes all of a sudden.

This is very noticeable with Mai and Ty Lee.

I'll admit it's more accurate to portray FN people with amber/red eyes, but this change could've been made earlier...like in book 3.

She looked better with blue eyes.

I came to slay.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #2762 on: Feb 10, 2016 09:35 am »

Angry Spirits is a place "to discuss everything you don't like about TLOK", not ATLA. Post split and moved to the ATLA board. Merged with the interesting things noticed thread.

--------

I'm afraid you're a little late to the party. We have noticed the lack of consistency in eye colour in the comics.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2763 on: Feb 10, 2016 09:43 am »

Well while I'm here, regarding the Aunt Wu's village fashion sense. You don't have to wear your nation's primary color to be considered a citizen, how boring would it be if Americans for example only had to wear red, white, or blue. This village isn't the only case of 'odd' color choices but I adressed this in another thread.

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/202/078.jpg
Example.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 02:51 pm by StormyDaze » Logged

I came to slay.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #2764 on: Feb 10, 2016 09:57 am »

The picture can't even be seen.

I mean, the show has almost always shown the citizens wearing their nation's colours. You can't apply real life logic to it just like how you can't apply our world's gravity and physics to the Avatar world because if we did, the characters would have broken their legs a long time ago.

But it's just a fictional world, no need to get so worked up and demanding that "I'm right, you're wrong".

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2765 on: Feb 10, 2016 02:49 pm »

Hmm strange... It shows up on my computer, I'll just link it.

I know a large majority of the shown people within a country wear the main color of the nation but not everyone. There are still a huge sum of people who don't wear the plain green and I am just saying that wearing a specific color won't link to what nation they originate from so it shouldn't just be assumed.

I came to slay.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #2766 on: Feb 10, 2016 05:29 pm »

As far as the eye color thing, Suki is a problem, but Mai and Ty Lee could be the light.  In the comics, they're in well lit scenes.  In the clips from the show, each is in a dark environment.

And as far as Chong and his crew wearing different colors, I think that's more a factor of them being "them" than anything else.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #2767 on: Feb 10, 2016 06:27 pm »

As far as the eye color thing, Suki is a problem

It is a coloring mistake according to my observation. Suki's eye color in the comics follows the shade of her uniform. I think whoever colors the comics is just kinda lazy to have a separate blue palette only for Suki's eyes, so he/she just uses the green palette of her uniform.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2768 on: Feb 10, 2016 06:52 pm »

They were grey within the show.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 06:55 pm by StormyDaze » Logged

I came to slay.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #2769 on: Feb 11, 2016 12:26 am »

Oh wow, you're right!  That's unforgivable.  My favorite headcanon is that Ty Lee was part Airbender.  This cannot stand!   Angry

Lunar_Prodigy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2770 on: Feb 11, 2016 08:47 am »

That is not grey. It looks pretty reddish brown to me. I am off to consult more screenshots.

Edit: I will admit Ty Lee's eyes may be slightly greyer than most fire nation. However, they are in fact reddish brown like the rest of the fire nation.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2016 08:54 am by Lunar_Prodigy » Logged

Keeper of Yue's "You didn't protect me" Sokka's "She's the moon, she flies by herself"
and Wan Shi Tong's understanding of the radio being "tiny men in boxes"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2771 on: Feb 11, 2016 06:56 pm »

btw about Makapu village:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/b/be/Makapu_Village_and_mountain.png/revision/latest?cb=20140119094641[/img]
What the heck happened with that lava? i've been to a lava landscape, and while absolutely incredible and alien, it doesn't look like that!

I think that's a screenshot from after Aang saved the village with his giant blast of frozen Airbending. Here's one from before (admittedly at a low angle, but I couldn't find better), and I don't see those lava formations:

Stormy Daze
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2772 on: Feb 11, 2016 07:01 pm »

It looks grey to me and Ty Lee isn't the only one.

I came to slay.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #2773 on: Feb 12, 2016 12:07 am »

note how quite everyone is living by Wu's word. i don't think if Wu came to a pre-existing town, she could have turned it so completely though and through. the whole town is about her.

I think that Aunt Wu gathered a crowd of followers, who settled down near her, either after joining and following her as she traveled all corners of the world and settled down herself, or came to her place by chance or word of mouth, and stuck around.

The villagers certainly value Aunt Wu's opinion, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the town was founded in the first place only because Wu picked the area for her group to settle. And if Aunt Wu had moved to an already established village instead, maybe Makapu more or less stayed out of the Hundred Year War, with people from all four corners of the Avatar World arriving to hear the renown Fortuneteller and decided to stay themselves, regardless of elements, becoming the Yu Dao-like, multicultural town we know and love.

It looks grey to me and Ty Lee isn't the only one.

That just means Ty Lee isn't the only one in the Fire Nation with airbender heritage. Smiley

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #2774 on: Feb 13, 2016 03:14 pm »

In my fanfic, Mai and Ty Lee's eyes have different colors depending on the lighting. I use it to play to the theme of their lack of true loyalty.

All in all, eye color is tricky in ATLA. There are patterns, but they're not universal, and people's notice of them seems to be spotty. No one cares that the gAang have all different eye colors when they're pretending to be colonists, and no one seemingly takes notice of Azula's eye color when she's pretending to be Suki, but then Katara seems to notice it only after she already sees that "Suki" isn't Suki.

So I dunno. It's one of those things, like the clothing, where I think it just comes down to writer whim at any given moment, but there's still a general guideline that almost sort of looks enough like a hard rule that we can invent some interesting backstory/worldbuilding to justify those exceptions.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 03:17 pm by Loopy » Logged

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: