May 26, 2017 04:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting things noticed in Avatar - Part 3  (Read 172855 times)
sadmonkey
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

he plots his revenge.

« on: Jun 17, 2010 05:21 pm »

Previous parts:
- Interesting things noticed in Avatar
- Interesting things noticed in Avatar - Part 2

Original post below:

I just found this incredible place in Madagascar that IS from somewhere in the Earth Kingdom, definitly created by an epic earthbending fight.  But the lemurs suggest its in the Air Nomad territories....

avatar fans should look at these:
http://saturnic.livejournal.com/385746.html

what other places have people found from the world of Avatar?
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm by SMBH » Logged
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2010 05:27 pm »

Does it really matter to call it Air Nomad territoy? They're all dead (the culture I mean).

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
sadmonkey
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

he plots his revenge.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2010 05:36 pm »

it is their old territory.  the temples are still there and the territories are white on the map.  my apologize, prince worldends08.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2010 05:41 pm »

No, no, I don't want to sound insulting (Bryke sounded insulting when they declared the Airbenders were gone for good). If nothing else, I can picture a few future rogue Airbenders who'll "spiritually" give Aang the finger and establish their people as a mighty force (don't want horrors of the past repeat themselves. "The Air Nomads of the past let their guard down; there is no such thing as spiritual peace!" I can picture them believing that.)

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2010 03:13 pm »

I think luvavatar was referring to this scene, but the argument still applies. There he used his breath, which could escape because it was water, not solid ice. It also set a precedent for him being able to escape from water despite being immersed in it.

Not only was Azula literally encased to the point where only her eyes could move, but there also was no precedent for her to overcome the inundation of another element. This is a possible exception, but that was more about brute force/power than... I dunno, the kind of determination Zuko required to get by with his lesser skill?

ArtFicsGraphics
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2010 03:27 pm »

I'm referencing the part where he was underwater when he was swimming into the Northern Water Tribe. There was a part where he nearly ran out of air and had to melt through the ice.
I think luvavatar was referring to this scene

Ahh, I was thinking of a different scene. Sorry.

Whoops, it's time to get a new thread going. Give me a minute...
Alrighty, new thread's up. Carry on Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010 03:31 pm by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2010 04:22 pm »

Zuko was swimming by his own choice though. He took a mouthful of air with him.

Azula never saw Katara's attack coming and so couldn't prepare for it by taking a quick breath. So, the situations are different.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2010 05:46 pm »

Zuko also had the ability to move, whereas Azula's rediscovered freedom of movement came with a binding chain. But Zuko's situation was obviously very desperate, and only the ice's thin nature allowed him to survive.

Azula was in a hunk of ice as big as a sky bison.

flamehead23a
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

GET HYPE

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2010 07:41 pm »

^I'd call it more of a...baby sky bison, at most.

though to be fair, Appa's size does seem to fluctuate throughout the series quite a bit.

TAS: Finale Act II now up!
Avi and sig by D-D-D-Danger!
Nastalgic99
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Firelord you're next.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2010 07:45 pm »

BS azula still had her power multiplied by the comet, while katara had hers powered by the moon when she imprisoned zuko in a block of ice.

Keeper of Bumi's fashion sense, smile, metal coffin, and Jeong Jeong's raggedy robes, and candles.
Proud supporter of the Red Lotus
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2010 07:59 pm »

I don't think the moon makes bent ice harder.

flamehead23a
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

GET HYPE

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2010 08:07 pm »

neither do I. besides, it's not like she was frozen for long. my guess is it was more the surprise of the occasion, rather than the freezing itself that kept her occupied long enough for katara to tie her down.

TAS: Finale Act II now up!
Avi and sig by D-D-D-Danger!
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm »

She would have still had some air to exhale once Katara had liquefied
Zuko was swimming by his own choice though. He took a mouthful of air with him.

Azula never saw Katara's attack coming and so couldn't prepare for it by taking a quick breath. So, the situations are different.
At that point he nearly drowned so he probably lost that air and swimming especially in those conditions should exhaust someone of their air supply much quicker. The second that Katara liquified the water around Azula she could have exhaled and created some sort of blast. However with her mental state having deteriorated so rapidly I would believe that she lacked the cognitive abilities to realize this.
Twilight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2010 04:59 pm »

LAVA can be manipulated by all benders.
Its melted rock so earthbenders can.
Its heat so firebenders can.
Its liquid so waterbenders can.
And if an airbender puts a lot of air on it, it'll harden and stop.

Firebenders are techniquelly Heat benders since lightning is heat and sozin was taking the heat out of the lava in the avatar and the firelord. And combustion man superheated a spot to make it explode.

Can airbenders soundbend? They have no special move. Except being able to kill anyone with a flick of the wrist, I guess that counts. Or eroding rock with a lot of air. Or creating tornadoes. Or moving fast, which aang didn't do enough since he could beat azula instantly in dobs if he did that...and they can fly so I guess the posibilities count as "advanced moves".

The thing with azula is, she could have broken free but she was having a mental breakdown and was caught by surprise. If katara did that same trick in CoD azula would have broken out in a second.

and the award for worst username in retrospect goes to...
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2010 05:09 pm »

At that point he nearly drowned so he probably lost that air and swimming especially in those conditions should exhaust someone of their air supply much quicker. The second that Katara liquified the water around Azula she could have exhaled and created some sort of blast. However with her mental state having deteriorated so rapidly I would believe that she lacked the cognitive abilities to realize this.

Except we never saw evidence that Firebenders can breathe Fire in that kind of situation. Zuko, while under water and not breathing, could only heat his hands enough to melt a thin layer of ice. And that was after he had inhaled deeply in preparation of his swim. Azula was caught in the middle of attempting to strike at Katara, which means she was probably exhaling.

Even if she wasn't, she was literally engulfed by water, so it was probably up her nose. Assuming, on top of that, that Azula could exhale enough Fire to free herself, the water would still need to go through the normal changes of state- it would have to go from ice to water to steam, which means Azula would have had boiling water all over her face.

All assuming that Firebenders can exhale Fire while drowning, which we have no evidence of.

I really don't see where there's any controversy, here.

Luna
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ah, the sound of dying.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2010 05:42 pm »

Just because lava is liquid doesn't mean waterbenders can bend it.
It lacks one thing: Water... Tongue

It's a classic sig that I can never let go of|I still keep my keeps :]|♥♥♥ Kuzai ♥ Urzai ♥♥♥|President of the Azulon Fan Club|
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2010 05:54 pm »

Its liquid so waterbenders can.

Well, if there's water in the rock, but something being liquid has nothing to do with its elemental composition.

Neither can airbenders bend lava... they can just affect it with their element. Likewise, waterbenders can put out fires. They're not firebending, however.

Except we never saw evidence that Firebenders can breathe Fire in that kind of situation. Zuko, while under water and not breathing, could only heat his hands enough to melt a thin layer of ice. And that was after he had inhaled deeply in preparation of his swim. Azula was caught in the middle of attempting to strike at Katara, which means she was probably exhaling.

Even if she wasn't, she was literally engulfed by water, so it was probably up her nose. Assuming, on top of that, that Azula could exhale enough Fire to free herself, the water would still need to go through the normal changes of state- it would have to go from ice to water to steam, which means Azula would have had boiling water all over her face.

All assuming that Firebenders can exhale Fire while drowning, which we have no evidence of.

We have some evidence in Zuko's favor, not anyone else's. I believe Nick's website used to claim that average firebenders would lose their bending for a week by staying in TBR's cooler. Zuko is clearly an exception to this average, being that he's withstood extreme cold on multiple occasions. Quite notably, the cooler is among them.

You'll also note he was in general prepared for the extreme climate or, consequently, didn't react to the problem immediately. As Loopy pointed out, the only time when he was truly immersed was also when all he managed to do was heat his hands to the point he could melt some ice.

Azula's not an average firebender, no, but we also haven't seen her counter water that effectively. She's more into preventive power and/or big flashy stuff. Zuko seems to be the go-to guy the rest of the time.

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010 05:55 pm by Maivry » Logged

ArtFicsGraphics
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2010 10:33 pm »

I say again, the attack was a surprise. she was unprepared for it, unlike Zuko, who saw Katara's attack coming and had to take a breath prior to diving when he was sneaking into the NWT. Azula didn't have a breath, and even if she did have a little, she couldn't exhale it. And even if she could have exhaled it, she couldn't take another breath. She was completely encased in several hundred pounds of ice block, all the way down to her skin.

Sig by The_Elite.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm »

Watching "Return to Omashu", and I just noticed this guy, front-right, kinda blurry:

Foamy's relative?
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2012 08:58 pm by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2010 11:29 pm »

I say again, the attack was a surprise. she was unprepared for it, unlike Zuko, who saw Katara's attack coming and had to take a breath prior to diving when he was sneaking into the NWT. Azula didn't have a breath, and even if she did have a little, she couldn't exhale it. And even if she could have exhaled it, she couldn't take another breath. She was completely encased in several hundred pounds of ice block, all the way down to her skin.

It was the day of the comet her firebending should have been increased ten-fold at the very least. The second Katara made that ice liquid, Azula in a sane state probably would have been able to blast through it, though in the state she had fallen to I doubt she would have been able to and she wasn't.
Nastalgic99
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Firelord you're next.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2010 01:23 am »

^agreed, but azula shooting lightning but not melting a ice attack with comet enhanced fire bothers me a bit.

Keeper of Bumi's fashion sense, smile, metal coffin, and Jeong Jeong's raggedy robes, and candles.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2010 01:44 am »

Well it is another season three mishap.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Nastalgic99
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Firelord you're next.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2010 06:31 am »

I wonder if roku ever kept his airbending glider.

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2010 03:54 pm »

Comet supercharges firebenders, but they're hardly all-powerful, even then. I mean, Aang was able to douse Ozai's attacks with water on a couple of occasions.

And that was just water, not ice. Ozai was also able to breathe and saw the attack coming quick enough to respond. So, a Book Three mishap? No. Katara did, in fact, pull a legal one-up on Azula.

Sig by The_Elite.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2010 05:40 pm »

It was the day of the comet her firebending should have been increased ten-fold at the very least. The second Katara made that ice liquid, Azula in a sane state probably would have been able to blast through it, though in the state she had fallen to I doubt she would have been able to and she wasn't.

Azula should have heated boiling water all over her face?! Water doesn't just disappear when it's heated.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: