Mar 30, 2017 09:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 55 (29.6%)
9 - 32 (17.2%)
8 - 43 (23.1%)
7 - 28 (15.1%)
6 - 12 (6.5%)
5 - 6 (3.2%)
4 - 6 (3.2%)
3 - 1 (0.5%)
2 - 1 (0.5%)
1 - 2 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 182

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [115] Bato of the Water Tribe  (Read 21367 times)
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #125 on: Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am »

I call this episode Iroh's mid-life crisis.  That's how I explain the creepy Junroh scenes and the perfume stealing.  I enjoyed the introduction of June and Bato, though.  I think they make up for MidLifeCrisis!Iroh. 

I checked out of curiousity and found that this episode was written by Ian Wilcox - it's the only Avatar episode he's ever written.  I think that explains a lot.  Just look at all the loopholes people find in Jet - that episode was written by a one-time writer, too.  I guess these guys don't really check to make sure they're entirely in key with the plot. Undecided 

Overall, it's a decent episode.  It's not a favorite, but it's not my least favorite either.  It could have been a lot worse.

EDIT: Forgot to mention:

Loved that part - it always makes me laugh. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 12:02 pm by Pants Are An Illusion » Logged

Graphics by Pebs. :3
Keeper of Sozin and Roku's matching beards and the gap in Meng's teeth. <3
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #126 on: Dec 14, 2010 12:02 pm »

I checked out of curiousity and found that this episode was written by Ian Wilcox - it's the only Avatar episode he's ever written.  I think that explains a lot.  Just look at all the loopholes people find in Jet - that episode was written by a one-time writer, too.  I guess these guys don't really check to make sure they're entirely in key with the plot.   
This one didn't have any loopholes in it like jet, it very consistent with the story.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #127 on: Dec 14, 2010 12:29 pm »

^I think Pants meant Iroh's slight out of character moments in this episode were the result of a one-time writer. Tongue

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #128 on: Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm »

^That is correct.  I meant to specify.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #129 on: Dec 14, 2010 01:17 pm »

^Oh, okay

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #130 on: Dec 14, 2010 01:42 pm »

Out of character?  I think that's a little unfair.  Iroh's infatuation with June may have been a little much, but you've got to remember, the guy is single, and has been on a ship full of greasy men for at least two years, only visiting a village every so often to restock on supplies.  Seeing a hot girl might've had some kind of effect on him.  He acted like a dolt, sure, but some men are just like that.  I still remember that scene from Cool Hand Luke, with those prisoners howling like idiots over the first woman they saw...

I'm not saying that Iroh is that kind of guy, and if he composes himself better later, then that's just that.  But, you also have to remember that this is pretty much the first time we've actually SEEN Iroh interacting with women, so the writer didn't really have anything to go off of as far as how Iroh acts around them.  If anything, that was Mike and Bryan's job as supervisers, to say "hey, you've got a nice idea with June and Iroh, but could you please tone it down a little"?

As for Iroh stealing perfume, that didn't really strike me as out of character.  Iroh has been proven to have a sneaky side in Episode 7 (how he outwitted his captors twice), and is kind of like a child at heart.  Him stealing a little perfume here, to me, was kind of on the same level as altering Zuko's course without his permission just to replace his Lotus Tile in Episode 9.  

That's a nice idea on Iroh's midlife crisis by the way.  As a matter of fact, just how old is Iroh anyway?  I always figured he was about 60 to 70 years old.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010 01:47 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #131 on: Dec 14, 2010 04:04 pm »

Out of character?  I think that's a little unfair.  Iroh's infatuation with June may have been a little much, but you've got to remember, the guy is single, and has been on a ship full of greasy men for at least two years, only visiting a village every so often to restock on supplies.  Seeing a hot girl might've had some kind of effect on him.  He acted like a dolt, sure, but some men are just like that. 
Fair enough.  I guess it seems more out of the blue than out of character.  We never get to see Iroh interact with another girl June's age, with June's looks, whom he has no ties to, so it's impossible to know if his reaction is strictly out of charcter.  I do still think that it's a little over the top, though.  It seemed...random.  But as you said, some men are just like that.  I would have never pegged it on Iroh though.  Suddenly his surprise at Smellerbee being a girl takes on a whole new, disturbing, weird tone. Tongue 

Anyway, no matter how creepy it is, it's nice to see Iroh have some sort of flaw-like characteristic.  It also leads me to wander what kind of opinion he has of Mai.  Proud of his nephew's catch? Cheesy

If anything, that was Mike and Bryan's job as supervisers, to say "hey, you've got a nice idea with June and Iroh, but could you please tone it down a little"?
Agreed.  And I pretty much unwittingly restated everything else in this paragraph up in my last reply, so I obviously agree with those points as well.

As for Iroh stealing perfume, that didn't really strike me as out of character.  Iroh has been proven to have a sneaky side in Episode 7 (how he outwitted his captors twice), and is kind of like a child at heart.  Him stealing a little perfume here, to me, was kind of on the same level as altering Zuko's course without his permission just to replace his Lotus Tile in Episode 9. 
Maybe he was planning on giving the perfume to June as a gift. Cheesy 

Stealing the perfume didn't seem as out of character to me as it did mid-life crisis-ish.  It was just one of those iffy parts that hinted towards an inexperienced (in Avatar) writer.  At least to me anyway.  I would've actually liked to see more of Iroh snatching up little trinkets here and there throughout the series.  Kleptomaniac!Iroh would've been an interesting concept to explore - those sleeves of his would have certainly come in handy.

That's a nice idea on Iroh's midlife crisis by the way.  As a matter of fact, just how old is Iroh anyway?  I always figured he was about 60 to 70 years old.
Thanks. Wink  I always pictured him in that age range as well.  The Wiki says he's 64, granted that's not always the most reliable source. 

Richtea
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ATLA Fan since September 28, 2010 :)

« Reply #132 on: Dec 15, 2010 11:05 pm »

I thought this episode was really good. Smiley

Check out my Facebook art page! --> facebook.com/RichTeaArt
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #133 on: Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm »

I thought this episode was exellent, the flashbacks, introduction to the new characters, the ice dodging was good, and the overall conflict with aang was solid.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #134 on: Dec 18, 2010 11:53 pm »

I find it interesting that Bato mentioned that ice dodging was done by all young Water Tribe members, not just boys.  They go when they're fourteen, right?  I wonder if Hakoda would take Katara and Sokka after the war, even though Bato already did. 

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #135 on: Dec 19, 2010 12:04 am »

^ I think it was guy thing, a passage from being a boy to a man.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #136 on: Dec 19, 2010 12:20 am »

^That's what I assumed, until I realized he only said "members".  It makes me have the wishful thought that maybe girls can go, too.  I think it would be cool for them to have the option of going, at least. 

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #137 on: Dec 19, 2010 02:34 pm »

Iroh's always been a lady's man.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #138 on: Dec 19, 2010 03:10 pm »

^I can only imagine how bad he was when he was in his teens. Roll Eyes

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #139 on: Dec 20, 2010 07:04 am »

^ He was pretty bad; crown prince, charismatic, firebender, and decent looks. You do the math Roll Eyes

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #140 on: Dec 20, 2010 10:10 am »

^Wonder who he finally settled on. Cheesy 

Just realized how off topic I'm getting. Tongue  Love Bato. 

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #141 on: Apr 08, 2011 06:51 pm »

Aang's epic lolz face is a win, along with Zuko vs. Aang.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #142 on: Sep 09, 2013 02:43 pm »

My friend just got into this Episode. He didn't like it, nor the previous. (He definitely liked the Storm and the Blue Spirit), I'm begging to him at the moment to stay until the finale. But to be honest, I also didn't like this episode much, it's okay but not that good.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #143 on: Oct 05, 2013 01:32 am »

Honestly, not one of my favorites. 

Mainly it's that the core conflict here was driven by the main characters acting like jerks.  Well, mostly Aang but katara and Sokka have their moments here too.   

So Aang basically gets third wheel treatment and becomes jealous of Katara and Sokka's relationship with Bato.  Then he steps out and they have that frustrating moment when aang just happens to be out of earshot they start saying exactly what he wanted and needed to hear.  Then he acts like a jerk in hiding the map to their fricking *father*, and then once he reveals the truth, Sokka and Katara decide to abandon him.  Of course they never really leave him and it all works out in the end, but up until then... aargh.

The only bright spot here is Jun.  I love her look,i love that thing that she rides on, and I thought it was very clever to have that creature "see" by smelling.  Oh, and Jun has this super cool and confident personality, which I myself find quite attractive. 

So.. great episode for Jun, the rest I'd just rather skip over. 
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #144 on: Oct 05, 2013 09:28 pm »

^Don't forget that the fight at the end is one of the best in the season. I don't like the rest of the episode to much but to me, the fight is what saves it.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #145 on: Oct 06, 2013 02:53 pm »

Yeah, I thought the fight between Aang and Zuko was pretty sweet in this episode. Katara vs Jun's Shirsu wasn't all that interesting to me though. Tongue

And Iroh's little moment with Jun was worthwhile as well. Cheesy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I can't think of anything clever to say.

« Reply #146 on: Oct 06, 2013 03:32 pm »

Katara vs Jun's Shirsu wasn't all that interesting to me though. Tongue

I don't even think I'd call that a fight. There was Appa vs. Shirsu which was pretty cool. Katara and Sokka just sat around the whole time though until Katara decided to dump perfume on everyone.

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character." (As said by me)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #147 on: Oct 06, 2013 06:18 pm »

Yeah, I thought the fight between Aang and Zuko was pretty sweet in this episode.

Their little "dance" on the edge of the well is one of the most technically interesting fight choreographies in the show, IMO.

Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #148 on: Oct 06, 2013 07:47 pm »

Yeah, I thought the fight between Aang and Zuko was pretty sweet in this episode. Katara vs Jun's Shirsu wasn't all that interesting to me though. Tongue

And Iroh's little moment with Jun was worthwhile as well. Cheesy

I concur, that was pretty impressive.  Still not a lot to like in this episode aside from Jun.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Oct 06, 2013 08:30 pm »

When my dad watched the series a while back I caught the end of this one with him and I forgot there was even a fight at the end! Good stuff, but still one of the least memorable episodes.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: