Nov 15, 2019 02:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 262 (58%)
9 - 104 (23%)
8 - 56 (12.4%)
7 - 18 (4%)
6 - 2 (0.4%)
5 - 4 (0.9%)
4 - 3 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 438

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [217] Lake Laogai  (Read 65510 times)
PiElord
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #650 on: Jul 03, 2010 10:19 pm »

It was on the Extras though. And even prior, I've seen it on Nicktoons numerous times within the recent months. Seriously, your words are getting me confused  Huh

I actually noticed that one time, they skipped The Serpent's Tide within one round of circulation, but the next time it was set to air, they aired it. They just do it for easier syndication purposes sometimes.

Vague deaths scar children for life. Wink

D'OH! D'OH! D'OH!

But when though?

I recorded literally the entire second season as it aired! I specifically remember there being the episodes before and after Lake Laogai in the same day, but it wasn't there, and I got angry because they skipped it.

What the hell! I mean, did they just start skipping this episode, and only this episode when I started watching the show on this network? Seriously! I have a series recording set up, and I've still never seen it on TV! I had to watch it online both of the times I've watched it.

"Can you imagine what I could do, if I would do all I can?"
- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
RedSaitama3
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Call me Sai3!

« Reply #651 on: Aug 15, 2010 07:59 pm »

So this was the first episode I watched in full, and has been my favorite ever since. I guess it was because of the mystery of it all, it reminded me of a good mystery novel.

My Original Story
Graphics by the luscious LemonLime
PiElord
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #652 on: Sep 20, 2010 07:00 pm »

Holy crap they did it again!

"Secret of Ba Sing Se" was on earlier. I checked the guide for the next two days, and they air in this order (not counting the repeat later on):
"Tales of Ba Sing Se"
"Appa's Lost Days"
"The Earth King"

Right there! Right there!

The part where "Lake Laogai" should be is just skipped right over.

I don't know if I said this before, but I'm specifically taping from Nicktoons Network, not Nick. I'm not sure if they do this on both.

- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Wang_Fire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #653 on: Sep 20, 2010 09:40 pm »

^^^^  If you are watching/recording Avatar extras, it's more of a limited run promotional thing for the summer.  They ran it back to back four times.  The first two times the series ran complete with all of the episodes being shown.  The third time, they ran the complete first season, but cut out the "filler" episodes in the second and third season.  The fourth and final time, they ran the series with all of the filler episodes from all three seasons cut out.  Currently (at least in North America) they are back to airing all of the regular episodes, without the extras.

"Flamey-o Sir, Flamey-o ..."
"Hey Jerks.  Mind if I watch you two Jerks do your Jerkbending?"
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #654 on: Sep 21, 2010 12:48 am »

^never got to see the rest of the extras. i hope they have some kind of A:TLA extras marathon one day.

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
PiElord
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #655 on: Sep 21, 2010 07:30 am »

^^^^  If you are watching/recording Avatar extras, it's more of a limited run promotional thing for the summer.  They ran it back to back four times.  The first two times the series ran complete with all of the episodes being shown.  The third time, they ran the complete first season, but cut out the "filler" episodes in the second and third season.  The fourth and final time, they ran the series with all of the filler episodes from all three seasons cut out.  Currently (at least in North America) they are back to airing all of the regular episodes, without the extras.

Here's the thing though:

They've been doing this since before they aired the extras for seasons two and three, and Lake Laogai is one of the most important episodes not to skip.

I've yet to see it on extras, or at all on Nicktoons since I started watching it on there about six months ago.

- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Wang_Fire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #656 on: Sep 21, 2010 07:57 am »

Huh Not sure what to tell you then.  I will say though that Lake Laogai was cut out in at least one of the extras runs.  But then again Tales of Ba Sing Se never makes the limited cut, so I don't know what's going on.

"Flamey-o Sir, Flamey-o ..."
"Hey Jerks.  Mind if I watch you two Jerks do your Jerkbending?"
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #657 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:24 pm »

This episode was also good because this one showed that to never give up hope, and that Toph has a puppy love crush on Sokka, which was funny to me. But people shouldn't think that Toph carried that one throughout the series because I think that she was well aware that Sokka loved Suki, she blushed in Sokka's Master because she didn't want to show that Toph cares for Sokka as a friend.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #658 on: Nov 05, 2010 05:36 pm »

Just watched this episode in swedish. My god is it heartwrenching to hear Smellerbee cry in the swedish version- even compared to the english one, the swedish actor manages to get so much emotion into that...

Longshot has a really deep and rather stern voice in swedish, lol. Very different from the english Longshot. And for once, even the main characters voice actors do a good job, with the exception of Katara.

Something I think many people forget about this episode are the fates of Smellerbee and Longshot. Jet gets killed onscreen, but it's very likely these two died as well, protecting his body. Which makes it a lot sadder.

Though there is the possibility that Smellerbee dragged the body into hiding and they escaped, death or subjecting to brainwashing is much more likely.

Though if I wrote a fanfic, I'd have them escape on Jet's own orders/last wish.

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
PiElord
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #659 on: Nov 07, 2010 08:00 pm »

You know what else is a tragedy?

They skipped it again...

- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #660 on: Nov 07, 2010 11:10 pm »

They skipped it again...

They keep skipping Lake Laogai because it's one of the most controversial Avatar episodes to have aired. Nicktoons is just being a little wierd. And Avatar Extras is looking the other way because that episode warrants some serious explaining.

But the fight scenes in Lake Laogai were epic. Iroh should've given Zuko that talk A WHILE AGO but it was real good to see him angry. And the things the group saw trudging around underneath the lake was eerie. But cool. The cinematography of the episode was just beautiful.

TOPH PWNS

...sorry I just had to get that off my chest...

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
galgirljr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #661 on: Nov 27, 2010 02:18 am »

I am...saddened.
This episode was my favorite but my least favorite at the same time. Jet was my absolute favorite (besides Toph) in the series and he just goes off and dies. Typical. :\ I was hoping he didn't but as soon as they said in an interview he died off screen. I literally shut myself away for three days.
Longshot and Bee? I would love to know what happened to them and from an article I read, we won't find out some of our questions about the two until the Legend of Korra apparently, but idk you can't trust the internet.

I loved how Longshot finally spoke <3 It would have been awesome if it was under better circumstances, of course.

I also loved Toph in this epi. :]

"Yeah! Let's break some rules!" (destroys the side of the house) xD
But then she practically made me cry near the end.
 "He's lying."

DUDEEEEE!!! Bahhhh. >Shocked

This episode. Has to be. My favorite.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #662 on: Nov 27, 2010 06:29 am »

Longshot and Bee? I would love to know what happened to them and from an article I read, we won't find out some of our questions about the two until the Legend of Korra apparently, but idk you can't trust the internet.

Unfortunately, I think RWB's theory a little up the page is probably pretty accurate - or if they didn't die, then they were captured and brainwashed Sad

With regards to this episode being controversial, is it just because of Jet's death?
poolhalljunkie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #663 on: Dec 01, 2010 07:43 pm »

Jet's death probably figured in, but even without that think about what this episode brings into play. Kidnapping citizens, brainwashing people, secret police, a shadow government - given some of the situations and concerns going on in the country at the time this originally aired, I can imagine some executives and adults being overly sensitive to it.

That aside, this is a very special episode to me. I didn't pay much attention to it first time I saw it, but the second time around I was going through a lot, missing sleep, not eating, and was just very *very* angry. Then I hear Iroh: "Who are you? What do YOU want?"

For whatever reason, those words at that time bit into me. I did some serious thinking on that. Now - I know where I want to be. I'm not there yet, but I'm in a better place than I was.

Thanks, Iroh. And all honor to Mako, rest his soul. They were Iroh's words, but his voice.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #664 on: Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm »

Great eppy, i have no complaints at all.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
The Pebble
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

EARTHBENDING STYLE

« Reply #665 on: Dec 02, 2010 10:25 am »

I love this episode to pieces.  Though it does have a few downsides...

I wish we'd see Bee fight, but she's got a dagger/knife, and it's not like you can show her fighting without showing blood...

Also, Jet dies which is the most tragic thing alive.  Even though he's not really dead.

Above all I wish we'd seen Longshot and Smellerbee again.  xP

Other than that, this episode is amazing.  Grin

I keep Teo's head bandage, Bato's burn scars, and Jet's treetop ziplines.
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #666 on: Dec 05, 2010 09:03 am »

another episode featuring Sokka's great artwork? oh yeah! Roll Eyes
I agree with Pebby Smiley

my fav part:
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010 09:20 am by Dorky » Logged

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #667 on: Dec 05, 2010 04:42 pm »

^ Sorry not a big fan of sokka'a art work.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #668 on: Jun 21, 2011 08:09 pm »

They skipped it again...
Well, I just checked and they're showing it tomorrow at 8pm central, and it is infact avatar extras. I'm just glad that I get to see it on the screen again Wink

NO - this is NOT necessary. Please do not spam up your posts like this again. ~ Acastus

Also, I know this has nothing to do with the show, but I always facepalm every time I see one of the moderators editing the post to place something stupid like this.. Sigh.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011 01:10 pm by Justrec » Logged
cabbageman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #669 on: Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm »

Right after Jet's death, Longshot nocks an arrow. What does this mean? Did he kill Jet to put him out of his misery, or is there something significant about nocking arrows when death occurs. Or was it just a part of the animation?

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #670 on: Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm »

^ He was preparing to defend himself against the Dai Li that were coming?

cabbageman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #671 on: Jan 20, 2012 10:59 pm »

That was one of my theories, but it wasn't really made clear that they were in any immediate danger. I mean, that's probably the correct answer, but I'm just hoping that there is a darker, deeper theme there. I watched this last weekend with my girlfriend, and we both contemplated that it might be a ritual in some Eastern culture where when a warrior dies, they nock an arrow and shoot it somewhere. (?) Once again, I know nothing. I just think it would be a much deeper theme if the arrow had significance.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #672 on: Jan 21, 2012 04:58 pm »

For it to be deeper, the audience would have to know about it. Cheesy And considering the Dai Li were literally thirty seconds behind Aang and Co when they escaped the underground, I'm guessing Longshot didn't slow them down much.

version15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #673 on: Dec 18, 2013 07:44 pm »

Dark, satisfying episode. Good all around.

Keeper of the Red Spirit, both the canon inspiration for the Blue Spirit and the real life title messup in the channel guides on TV
Mulan95
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #674 on: Sep 18, 2014 07:55 am »

I was so sad when Jet died:(

\\\"True wisdom begins when we accept things as they are.\\\" -Tenzin
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: