Dec 15, 2019 06:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 262 (58%)
9 - 104 (23%)
8 - 56 (12.4%)
7 - 18 (4%)
6 - 2 (0.4%)
5 - 4 (0.9%)
4 - 3 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 438

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [217] Lake Laogai  (Read 65870 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo is watching...and waiting...

« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2006 05:50 am »

Yeah, i just don't think Jet can be dead, i mean, why would they show the man who killed Jet's parents the up and kill Jet off at the end? I forsee we'll see Jet once again, ready to avenge his parents' death.

I'm a bit confused as to what happened to Jet. I mean, one moment, he's standing up, then a rock pillar appears and Jet's on the floor and he can't move. Katara does some water-healing on his chest, Smallerbee cries, and Longshot takes his arrow out, preparing for the next wave of Dai-Lee Agents. My question is: How did Jet wind up on the floor, not able to move?
Fire Starter
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"No mercy for the weak."

« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2006 09:52 am »

the pillar struck him in the chest, probably cracking his ribcage and piercing vital organs.
while you didn't see the damage he was probably bleeding on the inside.

so is it assumed that jet's dead?

definitely best of the second season.
was longshot preparing that final arrow to put jet out of his misery, or to escape with?
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 10:03 am by Fire Starter » Logged

Keeper of the Dai Li gauntlets
Soku Jinchu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Take life in every breath.

« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:01 am »

Wow! the whole episode is on turboNick! [Watching]
SPOILER GAP
[
[[
[[[
[[[[
[[[[[
Wow, that was crazy... (Zuko's hairdo was awesome)
I can hardly describe the episode... I'm so glad Mako was able to record the whole thing though.
my theory on Jet btw, he's going to die, Long Feng MUST have broken some vertabraes in his neck which that kind of strike and it's a bone so that's why Katara couldn't do anything. notice how his chin in leaning forward, and it's perfectly open to attack, the pillar is head hight, and he doesn't move, indication possible paralysis. Toph got to do some major earthbending like all her fans wanted her to.

Now, I have to really wonder if the whole episode is on turbo nick by accident, it's not like nick or any other tv station to release stuff a whole two weeks early

amazing sig by Avagirl

Keeper of all Non-Bending martial arts
Keeper of Golden eyes
ConfusedShipper123
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:05 am »

I hope Jet's not dead. (I actually kinda "fangirled" him for a while. But he's awesome!) They better not let him die. *sniffle* Also, that episode rocked. For a moment, I thought Zuko's character development was gonna go down the drain. But Iroh's always there. And now Zuko's gaining character development!!!!! YAY! MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! I was glad Iroh put his foot down. And the whole thing with Jet being with the gaang and everything. Awesome. Now this would be a good time to bring back Jetara. A really good time. Poor Katara. I just hope Jet doesn't die. Oh, also a good time to start shipping Smellerbee/Jet. It just makes sense. The whole epi rocked. Toph, she's so awesome. Sokka, well, he's just Sokka. Katara, she's awesome, too. That whole thing with Jet, I bet Katara still likes him a bit. But that was so sad. Poor Katara, Jet, Smellerbee, and Longshot. (Who talked!) Altogether, the episode was awesome. I give it a ten. (And they found Appa! Because of Zuko! YAY!)
servidor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Teresa of the Faint Smile

« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:11 am »

I hate to say it, but if Jet, Smellerbee and Longshot survived the battle with the Dai Li, then the dramatic impact of this episode would be lost. It would be like the Cobra and Gi Joe pilots who ejected into safety after their planes were shot.   
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 10:21 am by servidor » Logged
The Silent Soldier
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:12 am »

Army of Ju Dees?!?!?

xD

- Jet is dead? ;_; No.... *dies*
- Appa is back... =D Go Apppa!!

Question: Is the Guru's message still on Appa's horn? Maybe that why they might have to go back; The Earth King.

- Iroh finally make Zuko realized that his father isn't going to accept Zuko with Appa or the Avatar. ^.^
- The whole thing with Toph knowing they were lying or not. Very very smart. Cheesy

Jet: I'll be okay, Katara.
Toph: He's lying.

;_;

Very sad.

Plus, I was expecting Katata to at least say sorry to Jet before he dies.

sig by iced // ava by *oathy*
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:20 am »

Yeah, Jet's basically dead now. Longshot was readying his bow to prepare for a second wave of Dai-Li Agents, most likley. It was almost like Jet's Last Stand...This was to be his last fight...

Did anyone catch what Katara said while she was healing him?

Maybe Jet took Katara's attempt at healing him her way of forgiving him for what he did to the village and to her (lying to her and all). After all, just an hour ago or so, she was ready to turn him into an ice sculpture again, and now here she is, trying to heal him.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 10:23 am by AvatarFan33 » Logged
climbtreez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shiny head of DOOM

climbtreez
« Reply #32 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:39 am »

can someone post the link. I dont get turbonick
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #33 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:47 am »

ah, redemtion in death.  Very Vader like.  By the looks of it, his diaphram was crushed or his lungs were punctured-not pleasant ways to go.

Fricken aswome episode. Long Feng is the best vilaln ever-he's the first to actualy kill someone.  Too bad Appa owned him like that. I mean that redifines pwnage.

And although the Dai Lee were also owned, that was a very cool fight scene.

Katara was really pissed. I mean she was trying to fricken kill jet at the begining.

Yeah Rough Rhino action! Even if it was a breif cameo.  Kinda reflects badly on Iroh, as he described them as not only comrades, but friends. they sure have messed up a lot of town's-Jet's, Yin's, Chin and so on.

Give Sokka a break at not being good at drawing.  He's already a master charmer, enigneer, planner, and a skilled warrior in many diffrent weapon types-and a poet!

A 10.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Oct 28, 2006 10:47 am »

http://www.nick.com/turbonick/index.jhtml?extvideoid=46468

Hope this helps, climbtreez.

I doubt Jet's neck was broken, i mean, he was able to move his head slightly. The thing he had trouble doing was breathing, as noted when he was resorted to whispering. His ribcage probably broke and punctured his lung. Not pleasent...
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 10:49 am by AvatarFan33 » Logged
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #35 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:04 am »

Neck-I never said neck. The diaphram is the muscle that moves the lungs and controls breathing.

Does it strike anyone as odd this killed or horribly wounded Jet while people have been shown to shrug of far more serious attacks in other episodes.

Oh, and Zuko can so out ninja the Dai Lee.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Soku Jinchu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Take life in every breath.

« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:08 am »

Neck-I never said neck. The diaphram is the muscle that moves the lungs and controls breathing.

Does it strike anyone as odd this killed or horribly wounded Jet while people have been shown to shrug of far more serious attacks in other episodes.

I said neck, because it was the thing that was open to attack when it came, it's just the martial artist in me watching the show.

amazing sig by Avagirl

Keeper of all Non-Bending martial arts
Keeper of Golden eyes
heavyccasey
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Obvious supporter of Kataang!

« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:20 am »

Great episode. My new favorite episode!

Intense fight scenes. I'll post more after the excitement wears off.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 11:26 am by heavyccasey » Logged

Kataang Site Here! Join please!

Keeper of Katara's Oasis Water, Aang's cute little blush, and Kataang's Ship.
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #38 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:23 am »

That was really disappointing to me. :/  I wanted to see the Dai Li portrayed as intelligent and credible threats, not guys who could get outsmarted by a simple trick like that and then get defeated so easily.

I do agree that Long Feng is a pretty good bad dude, even if I could have done without him getting tossed by Appa at the end.  But then again, not even the invincible Ty Lee is immune to Appa's wrath...

ConfusedShipper123
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:26 am »

Longshot is mute. The Dai Li brainwashed him, too. At the end, Longshot prepares to kill Smellerbee.
No he doesn't. He's preparing for the next Dai Li attack. And obviously, Longshot's not mute. Even if he was brainwashed, they couldn't make him talk with hypnotism. They couldn't make Toph see if they brainwashed her! (Actually, they couldn't brainwash her anyway.)
Kanelle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:34 am »

This kinda makes me wonder will Appa treat Zuko like a friend next time he sees Zuko?  Can you imagine if he jumps Zuko and starts licking him like he did to Sokka in one of the northern watertribe episode?  I'd pay money to see that cartoon.  Grin

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
--Buddha
Osiris0290
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sea of Qi

333771067 NikeTennis290@netscape.net Osiris0290 niketennis290
« Reply #41 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:39 am »

Wow, by far one of my favourite episodes yet.

That's intense how the Dai Li planned to mislead the G'Aang with the janitor and Jet, both brainwashed.

What are the exact details of Zuko freeing Appa? Did Appa try to hurt Zuko after being freed, or did he just fly up through the surface.

Were Smellerbee and Longshot able to fight off a second wave, if it happened? Or did they try to escape. Jet had obviously died when when we saw Longshot pull his arrow, because Smellerbee was crying over Jet's body, and petting his hair. Longshot wasn't going to "put Jet down."

The description on the Wiki of the next episode includes the excerpt "Meanwhile, Zuko undergoes a spiritual crisis brought on by a serious illness." Could this episode mark the start of the much theorized aid from Zuko? Could Zuko's "spiritual crisis" be him trying to figure out which side he really belongs on? Through this episode, Zuko has gone from enemy, to neutral position, so I think we will now slowly see him drift to Aang's side, until he becomes Aangs firebending teacher.

Overall, a great episode. Wish the Dai Li had put up more of a fight in some places, like when Appa came out of no where to wipe out 20 of them, but the plot is only getting better and better.

9/10

By the way, did you guys experience 15 second black gaps after commercial breaks, where there was audio but no video?
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 11:42 am by Osiris0290 » Logged

AvaGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:41 am »

OMG OMG OMG! This episode was sooooo AWESOME! Sokka is left-handed (if anyone else besides my brother noticed that), Toph totally pwned them, Katara was nearly CRYING over Jet, Aang was crying over Appa, Smellerbee was crying over Jet (awww), and Longshot was talking. They were training Ju Di's down there... Zuko freed Appa... Iroh... *pratically faints*

Anyway, that was one heck of an episode! It was so... dark. I loved it, it's definately my 2nd fave eppie now, lol. I'm practically dying to see what happens next! Smiley

Keeper of Sokka & Yue's love.
Osiris0290
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sea of Qi

« Reply #43 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:49 am »

Oh, forgot to add. Do you guys think that since they premiered "Lake Laogai" on TurboNick, (which I really think was an apology to the loyal fans who were disappointed last week by the lack of new episode) they will also premiere "The Earth King" a week or two early on TurboNick (Nov. 3rd or Nov. 10th)? I mean, by not airing "Lake Laogai" last week, they were set back two weeks, seeing as the original premiere of "The Earth King" was schedueled for Nov. 3rd.

Force
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2006 11:50 am »

A great episode, the action was terrific and the story was gripping. I kinda wished they hadn't TurboNicked this though so I could have seen it for the first time with my stereo sound system. Jet's part in this story was very sad and I do think he's dead. Jet would know if he was about to die and Toph said that's basically what he knew. The only reason we didn't see him die on-screen was because he's a kid and a kid being killed on a kids show on-screen probably wouldn't go off well. Smellerbee and Longshot (who speaks!! ODALALY!!) have probably been captured, I doubt those two could keep back a wave of Dai Li. Long Feng has once and for all emerged as king of the douche bags!! And he seriously got pwned by Appa, which was just great. I wonder if he'll have, like, a broken leg or something.

At first I was disappointed that Zuko and Aang weren't going to cross paths, like I thought they would this episode, but upon retrospect, it worked better with them not meeting. At least not yet. Besides, Zuko would have been instantly pwned if he had meet up with the quartet AND the freedom fighters at once. His new hair, though, is awesome. Just like mine.

I agree, the Dai Li we're underwhelming. I was expecting them to put up a much better fight, or at least capture the quartet at the end of the episode or something. Oh well, at least Long Feng isn't a total pushover. He's the first character on the show to ever kill another on-screen with bending.

My only beef with this episode would be that they, once again, used that freakin stringy animation I hate. They used it in The Chase, the used it in The Desert, and in Tales of Ba-Sing-Se and I can't stand it. It just looks too cartoony and unrealistic as compared to, like, the animation in The Drill. That's one of my only real problems with this show: the inconsistent animation between episodes. Tell the Korean animators to pick a style and stick with it, please.

climbtreez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shiny head of DOOM

climbtreez
« Reply #45 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:03 pm »

Thank you.

Edit. Ok just some random thoughts
That was so cool. Appas back. I wonder what their going to do now. I feel so sorry for jet. He probably has some internal bleeding. What the heck did Katara do to him when she was inducing his memory. More character development for Zuko. Long Shots not mute. Wow. Thats a shock. Its really painful to watch on videonow. Its so skippy. There sure was a lot of crying in that episode.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 12:23 pm by climbtreez » Logged
Osiris0290
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sea of Qi

« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:41 pm »

Another thought. How did the Dai Li and Long Feng know Jet had previous connections with the G'Aang? Did he ask Jet when he was brainwashing him if he knew them? Or did he just figure he would be a stranger to the G'Aang, (which would make more sense, as they would most likely trust a stranger over Jet) telling them he had heard of the bison's whereabouts.

Elemental Harmony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Avatar maintains balance

« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:18 pm »

I just want to preface this by saying, it took me almost 45 minutes to watch the episode, and I missed parts of conversations (most frustratingly, the talk between Zuko and Iroh in Appa's cell) due to "skipping". So, to Nick, I will send you a lifetime supply of delicious muffins and other breakfast pastries if you work the bugs out of TurboNick.

Now, the episode itself.

Things that were completely amazing
Appa has been reunited with the gAang. Thank goodness.
Zuko has finally made some more progress.
Zuko's hair is even longer. He looks delicious.
Iroh is getting his own tea shop.
Jet was redeemed.
Longshot spoke.

Things that are...interesting
The Fire Nation and Fire Lord Ozai are not the only issue that needs resolving. Apparently, the Earth Nation also needs to be liberated at some point.

Things that were not so amazing
Jet's dead. Boo.
The Dai Li weren't all that impressive after all...

This episode made my day. Whoot.

Avi by Diet Otaku = So. Much. Love.

I have gone to find myself. If I show up while I'm gone, keep me here until I get back.

366 Ripples: An activist movement in the making.
http://366ripples.blogspot.com
IchwunsheNudeln
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:37 pm »

Oh my Gawd. Best. Episode. Ever.

I had a little problem with Turbonick, though. When the episode got to the point where there would normally be a commercial break, the screen went black and wouldn't go back to normal. I had to drag the slider around to get the visuals back and try to gauge by the screenshots where the episode picked up, but I think I lost a few seconds after each commercial break. I understood after the first one that Jet had told the gAang he knew where Appa was, but that they were reluctant to trust him. Then, after the second one, I think I lost at least a minute because it seemed to pick up with the gAang actually arriving at the lake and going down the pipe. I don't think I lost anything important there, but what exactly happened between Jet saying he remembered the name Laogai and the gAang actually arriving at the lake? Other unanswered questions. . .

-Whatever became of the Guru's note? I bet Long Feng has it, but it was never mentioned.
-How did Zuko and Iroh get Appa out of the cell?
-Will Appa see his rescuers as friends now? That would be sweet.
-Did Jet die? It certainly seemed like he did. But it would be kind of fitting for Jet to have a chance at revenge, even if he is my least favorite character.
-How did the Azula/Suki fight turn out? I really want to know this one!
-Are the gAang leaving Ba Sing Se? It looked that way, but we know that they're in the city for the next episode.
-If they're in the city for the next episode, will they run into the ZuCrew? That would be awesome.
-Will we see Jin again? . . . Hey, I can hope, can't I?

Best line, courtesy of Toph:
". . . It's upside down, isn't it?"

I also agree that the Dai Li seemed rather less effectual than they were made out to be, but there will be a bigger run-in with them in the next episode, so that may be remedied.  Grin Cheers for new episodes!
Kindly Sage
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

gotenfan1 thephatg04
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:52 pm »

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god.

NO - this is NOT necessary. Please do not spam up your posts like this again. ~ Acastus

*deep breath, then exhales slowly*

I do not think that there has ever been a cartoon series, anime or otherwise, that has been able to pack that much pure, unadulterated awesome into a single episode.  It was so awesome, I had to take a break for sleeping so I could collect myself when I woke up and thank tenebru for explaining how to make the episode work without drooling on the keyboard like a lobotomy patient.

First things first;  I absolutely refuse to believe that Jet is dead.  I know it's still just a kids show, but unless I actually get to watch a character's last breath, I cannot assume that said character is dead.  This is a lesson pounded into me by years of suprise appearances in several fantastical animes.

Second:  How about Aang growing a pair and kicking Juu Dee out?  I was absolutely delighted by this scene.  I will refrain from mentioning the less-than-intelligent discourse I yelled at the screen to re-enforce Aang's argument.

Next, I'm gonna have to admit, I'm diggin the longer hair on Zuko.  He looks more and more badass every episode.  I really thought that he was going to ride in to the rescue on Appa though.  Oh well.  My prediction remains that he will join the gAang in the season finale.  And how about Toph?  Jesus Christ on a crutch!  Perhaps the hardest asskicking I've seen in the entire series to date.

The only thing that bothered me in this episode was when Katara healed Jet's mind.  I was completely down with her healing physical wounds, since the body is made up of mostly water, but memories?  That seems a litte far-fetched to me.  The human brain just seems far too complicated for a teenage waterbender, even if she's a master, to be able to repair severe psycological damage, and especially at the rate she did so.

But aside from that, this episode was pure awesome sauce.  In fact, one might even be able to hesitantly say it is the awesomest of all sauces.

That is all.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 04:28 pm by Acastus » Logged

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner strength." -Iroh

"Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." -Karl Marx

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -Mark Twain
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: