Dec 17, 2017 11:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 262 (58%)
9 - 104 (23%)
8 - 56 (12.4%)
7 - 18 (4%)
6 - 2 (0.4%)
5 - 4 (0.9%)
4 - 3 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 3 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 438

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [217] Lake Laogai  (Read 56345 times)
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« on: Oct 27, 2006 11:21 pm »

Seeing as how the full version of Lake Laogai is now up on Turbonick, I'm going to go ahead and open this thread for discussion, even though the official premiere is not until next week.  So discuss this episode that is sure to be regarded as an important turning point in this season.

Short description: While searching for Appa, the kids run into Jet, but are torn about whether to trust him or not. Meanwhile, Zuko also hunts for Appa.

Discuss!

EDIT: This thread will be replaced with a poll when the episode is broadcast at 8PM EST on Friday, November 3rd.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 08:33 am by Acastus » Logged

thunder_713
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fire Nation Traitor...

evilbabyrulesall@msn.com thndr713
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:29 pm »

My notes:

1_OMG! JET!!! I can't believe he's dead...just can't...
2_Longshot speaks! So...effing...cool...(though it messes up my fanfic...)
3_Zuko and Iroh were awesome this ep. Especially Iroh's last speech to Zuko: "You never think these things through! It was the same way at the North Pole!..." Awesome. That's really all I have to say.
4_Appa's back! *dances*

I think I'm still spinning from this.

^Zuko fan? Check out Lava Love God

Keeper of Sokka's necklace and Zuko's ship.

(LLG banner thanks to omgasp). Icon by magicker_icons.
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:35 pm »

I think my major complaint about this episode is that the Dai Li seemed... well, very underwhelming.  For how much the show built them up to be this elite fighting force, they get their asses kicked pretty soundly.  After Toph tossed around about ten of them like rag dolls, I'm not sure why they didn't just plow through the Dai Li forces that were blocking their way at the end of the episode.

Poor Jet, though.  I like that we heard Longshot speak for once.  It made that scene seem very powerful and important.

And Iroh finally told Zuko what he needed to hear.  It's about time.  I really liked the scene where Iroh berated Zuko for his constant lack of forethought and desire to achieve some "destiny" that doesn't seem very clear at all anymore.

All in all, an excellent episode.  I just wish the show were capable of portraying Earthbenders other than Toph and Bumi as genuine threats rather than laughably incompetent foes.

High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:39 pm »

Yeah I second that Long Feng and the Dai Li were very underwhelming. Also I thought it felt a bit contrived that Sokka would even know what brainwashing is seeing that Long Feng's device is probably one of a kind and very covert. Well we find out who killed Jet's parents, the Rough Rhinos, and Jet dies, hopefully. POed Iroh that gets Zuko out of his rut for the win! It was pretty good but it felt way too rushed to me, could have been better.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:40 pm »

ZUKO FREES APPA!!! AND HE DROPS HIS MASK LIKE THAT ONE REALLY WIERD PART IN TITANIC WHERE ROSE DROPS HER NECKLACE AND I'M LIKE WOW WHAT A QUEER MOMENT AND THEN ZUKO DID THE SAME THING ONLY IT WAS AWSOMER AND KINDA LIKE SPIDERMAN GETTING RIDE OF HIS MASK YAY!!

*breathes heavily* wow.... that was a mouthfull screaming at the top of your lungs

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
TheNineTails
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Who ate my Friggin Ramen

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:50 pm »

1.Zuko frees Appa
2. Toph saying she thought Sokka's drawing of Appa looked fine.
3.Jet is dead. There goes another Avatar character.
4.The Dai Li are taking women to Lake Laogai and training them to be Ju Dees.
5. Smellerbee hugs Jet either in a sisterly way or in a love kinda way I can't tell it was more girly for her than usual.
6. The big Zuko and Iroh confrontation. He kinda flipped on Zuko and made him look at the big picture.
7.Zukos hair grows really friggin fast its been less than a month and he can already braid it.
8. The GAang seems to be leaving Ba Sing Se but we know that they have to come back for The Earth King.
9.How the hell did Zuko get Appa outta that room without Earth bending?

EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2006 11:54 pm »

O - O Oh my word. That episode. = <3 That was amazing.

My dear General Iroh is finally putting his freakin' foot down. I was Not at all expecting Iroh to start yelling at Zuko like that. (Although I was expecting Iroh to say at lest something meaningful to him.) The first part while Iroh was saying what he was, I was kind of surprised when Iroh knew that it was Zuko behind the mask. I half way knew that Iroh had known. But still, it was surprising. Nice little add on. Finally cleared up the confusion. I was saying the whole time Iroh was yelling, 'OH guys, please...don't start fighting! I hate it when you guys do that.' But then, I realized Iroh was actually showing alot of love for Zuko. Rather it be in anger or not. Iroh has the right to be angry at his nephew every once in a while. The words about the Siege Of The North thing, and how Ozai is forcing his destiny, was either heartbreaking or simply touching. And after watching it a few times. It was really enjoyable seeing Iroh that way, and Zuko that way as well. Very emotional, and intense. That sence was really touching.

And I really liked how Zuko freed Appa from Long Fang. He's finally listening to his Uncle much more then before. He's starting to respect Iroh much more then before. And that makes me very pleased. Now, throwing away the title of The Blue Spirit, that was a whole different move for him, and then completely leaving behind the mask, that was huge. epically for him, but it really was for the best. Destroying the Blue Spirit is one more step closer to fully seeing the light.

Those, hands down were the best scenes in the whole episode. And I know the 'angsiness' with them are going to be far worst in the next episode. I can feel that there will be much more emotional parts with them.

Now, lets see. Irko fangirl'dness aside.

Poor Jet. I truly hated him, but after seeing the flashback with his village burning, caused by The Rough Rhinos, and seeing this poor, helpless child watching in horror as his parents die. That opens up a whole new perspective with me and him. I always had thought that Jet was just completely in the dark, that that day had killed him, But seeing this episode. I realized that he is in fact human. Alot like Zuko actually, that his past had left him in the shadows, and that he's only looking for the light again. This episode made me feel horrible for him. Though brainwashed, he still had that bit of his heart and mind, lurking in himself. He even helped the Gaang try and find Appa, and even fought with them. He showed alot of different emotions. Something I once thought was impossible for Jet. But I was indeed corrected. Jet didn't deserve what Long Fang did to him. Jet shouldn't be laying there helplessly dieing. Though Longshot and Smellerbee were there, he still was helpless. I feel bad for him. He shouldn't be going through this. Not at the moment he was about to fully turn and find his light again.

Rants aside:

Toph completely rocked (No pun peoples xP). Her bending skills once again amazed me.

Yeah! Let's break some rules! *destroys the side of the house* = <3

Aang, aw. He missed Appa so much. I'm so thankful he finally found him again. That part was adorable.

Sokka can't draw. xP Poor fellow.

"......Do you always have to do that?" Again = <3

Jettara. (Not really a shipper) Those parts were adorable.

Longshot spoke! :0 Ohemgee. His voice was awesome.

Iroh is going to get his own tea shop. = <3 That's like a dream come true for him.

Zuko messy/long hair. Wow. It was Okay but...he really needs a haircut now. xP Someone get this boy a barber.

"Maybe You Should Kiss Him Katara! That would jog his memory!" Loved that.

Longshot and Smellerbee coming back. Again. = Yay.

Katara still being ticked off at Jet. I cracked up at that.

Amazing episode all together. 10 stars. All the way. <3

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:20 am »

I just posted alot of my favorite parts on the spoilers thread, but this thread deserves some love too. Wink

I agree that the Dai Li seemed a little easy to beat, especially since they made it out to seem like these were hand-picked prodigies as well. They should have a whole lot more talent than this episode gave them.

Got to give them credit for killing Jet and leaving Smellerbee and Longshot in a very bad position, though. Probably the most cliffhanger part of this episode for me was seeing Longshot take his last fighting stance so that Smellerbee could hold Jet. I'm imagining the worst for them with the Dai Li.

I can't wait to see what happens to Zuko once they move to the upperring!

Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:20 am »

Grin Allright!. I can't wait to see this episode!. Hopefully we'll get some screenshots soon , and some kind soul will put it up. Wink

ThePower06
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Naruto and Sakura- Standing Together as Equals

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:52 am »

heh, seems to me Aang was showing a lil jealous side to him there...finally hes growing up

Im not sure of the creator of the Avvie, but credit goes to you.
Swamp Dweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph, you rule.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:52 am »

I always liked Jet, ever since his first episode. I guess I liked him for what most people hated about him - his willingness to do anything and sacrifice everything for his misguided goal. That said, though, I'm glad he's dead. Or rather, I'm glad Long Feng killed him the way he did. It really shows a lot about this man who is slowly becoming my favorite villian in the Avatar world. Jet opposed him and overcame his brainwashing, so he killed him with one well-calculated and powerful strike, right in front of Aang.

Then Smellerbee and Longshot came with the rest of the Gaang. This was one of my favorite's scenes in the entire show, from Smellerbee to Toph's "he's lying," to Longshot's final stand.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this episode a 10 (well...if there was a poll, that is) is the group's last fight with the Dai Li. I mean, I know Appa is strong, but there were at least twenty Dai Li on this ledge and Long feng was with them. Oh well...if Aang and Katara can slice metal with ice, there's nothing wrong with Appa breaking some thick earth walls with his skull, right?

Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? --Ancient Irohnian proverb
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:57 am »

I cant find it on turbo nick can someone help please?

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2006 12:58 am »

I cant find it on turbo nick can someone help please?

The moment you get there, hit Top Rated on the left side of the screen.

The Blue Spirit 2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Fist Shaker.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:04 am »

I went to TurboNick, went to the avatr section, and found Lake Longhai, but couldn't get it to play. Can someone give me instructions?

Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:07 am »

thanks.

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The pouty Disillusioned Water Tribe Tot

« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:45 am »

I go to Turbo Nick and all I get is a blank white screen...guess I was right about their elitism...only catering for the US fans...

The Road Less Travelled Duty
Keeps Zuko's Path to Redemption and "I'm Never Happy"
Jai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Canadian Avatard

« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2006 01:48 am »

Yeah... I said this in the other thread... is there ANY way at all that non-American fans may be able to view the episode?  Have any non-Americans tried with success?

I am squeeing though and cannot wait to get ahold of this episode Smiley

"Where we're going, you won't need any pants!"
PaLi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2006 02:15 am »

Alright, I gave in and opened IE, and what do I get?  I get a 50 second segment.  Full Length? Nu-uh.

EDIT:  Okay, got it workng, watching now

EDIT:  Okay, watched it.

I swear, I am never using TurboNick again.  It jumped on me a few times and said something about Michuzi or something.

Jet:  Dang, poor guy.
Longshot:  He finally speaks, eh?  Does he kill Jet?
Long Feng:  Old cabbage got what was coming to him.
Appa:  w00t.
Toph:  Rule-breaking badass.
Katara:  She blushed.  And she tried to deny that she liked Jet.  Grin
Lake Laogai:  Freaky.  Ju Di boot camp.  Long Feng is one damn hell of a cabbage; "The Earth King invites you to Lake Laogai..."
Zuko:  I think Zuko has realised that Fire Nation Prince is not his identity.  He freed Appa!  w00t!
Iroh:  Old wise Iroh:  same old, same old.

I wonder what's going to happen to Zuko now that he's finally tossed the Blue Spirit Mask.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 02:57 am by PaLi » Logged

Classical:  Music for the ears.
Oldies:  Music for the soul.
Rap:  Music for the tone-deaf.
tenebrusmke79
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Aang Gaang Rules

tenebrusmke79 tenebrusmke79@ymail.com
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2006 02:57 am »

This episode rocked.. I loved this episode. I am happy with the whole Jet story, I feel like I know him for the very first time, like I did with Zuko. Zuko was made to be this "evil" character, and then comes Zuko Alone, and we see him as a young boy in his home, so happy and so innocent, and now that has changed my idea of Zuko.

What was shown in Jet's flashback to his home has changed my idea of him as well.. I seriously hope that Jet's going to be alive in the next episode but I don't know that.

Anyone notice that the Azula/Suki fight wasn't shown? I would LOVE to know who won out of those two.

The Dai Li and Long Feng being "elite" Earthbenders and all, I didn't see a problem with them being handled so easily, a lot of those "powerful" men aren't powerful at all. It brings a sense of believability to that scene.

Toph is showing that she knows how to bend and she can take on any number of people all at once, I am glad she's a favorite of mine. She's sarcastic and she's just fun-loving. I wonder when we'll see Master Yu and Xin Fu when they're on their journey "to get the girl"... Is anyone else thinking that there's going to be a huge Earthbending battle her and the other two?

Katara.. I can't say anything bad about her at all in this episode. I do believe that she regrets all of the harsh things she's said to Jet (though she was justified in doing so). She's got a lot of power, that's for sure.

Sokka is hilarious as ever. He definitely need art classes.

Aang is just so cool that I don't have words to describe him.

Zuko... He is definitely beginning to understand that he doesn't need the avatar to get back home, he can just take what is rightfully his. I think we will see something different in Zuko in the next episode (218 - Earth King), I had a bit of trepidation when he saw that Appa was lost, the look in the eyes told everything that Zuko was thinking, that he'll finally be able to get the Avatar and go home. It's funny how things change within a couple of hours (in Avatar time, that is).

Iroh... he's the man. He gets his tea shop, he gets a new apartment in the Upper Ring of the city. He yells at Zuko to basically grow up. I think that's what was needed.

I loved how Appa just rammed both walls and tried to eat Long Feng, only to throw LF in the lake, like a skipping rock.

This episode was, to me, the best episode of the series.

Also, for those who are having trouble with getting the episode, on the first page, click Top Rated on the left where you get the actual videos, the Avatar episode is the first one there.
PaLi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2006 03:02 am »

As horrible as my experience with TurboNick was, this episode freaking kicked ass.  I know Azula had gone too far over the line of no return, but I wonder if they will unvillainise Long Feng?

Classical:  Music for the ears.
Oldies:  Music for the soul.
Rap:  Music for the tone-deaf.
Kindly Sage
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

gotenfan1 thephatg04
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2006 03:10 am »

How can I watch the full version?  I can only find the sneak peak.

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner strength." -Iroh

"Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." -Karl Marx

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -Mark Twain
tenebrusmke79
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Aang Gaang Rules

tenebrusmke79 tenebrusmke79@ymail.com
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2006 03:12 am »

How can I watch the full version?  I can only find the sneak peak.

From my last post:
Also, for those who are having trouble with getting the episode, on the first page, click Top Rated on the left where you get the actual videos, the Avatar episode is the first one there.

That's how you do it.
Isidorios
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Desty Nova Avatar and Sig by Darathor

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2006 03:16 am »

A few people got the impression that Longshot was "putting down" Jet with that last arrow.  Its a dark scene, but he was clearly preparing to meet the next wave of Dai Li coming through the doorway they entered by.  So now Toph can tell when people are lying? nice. Loss to the GAang not that humiliating to Dai Li, 3 of them are some of the most powerful benders in the world.  Itd be like trying to fight Pakku, Bumi and Gyatsu all at once.  The other fighters arent exactly wimps either.  Besides, they seem to mainly attack by stealth, straight out battle probably isnt something they are accustomed to.  We do see someone finally connecting with a bending attack of lethal force tho.  I really hope the Freedom Fighters manage to get out of Logai Prison alive.  Time enough left for a big finale in Ba Sing Se, then a trip to Pathik?
       Oh and apparently the scheduling dept for Nickelodeon is in complete disarray, to be showing this on Turbo Nick and not airing it on Nickelodeon itself......hope they get their act together sometime soon........
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 03:18 am by Isidorios » Logged

The dispensation of Nature is such that the very act of Living and Doing is to its very core, awash with Evil.
 If you cannot accept this fact, the world is impossible to live in, as it is for Poets
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2006 04:24 am »

I rank this episode in my top 5 favorite episodes. It starts out so charming. Left handed Sokka trying to make "lost" posters of Appa. Sokka, I give you an "A" for effort Smiley I'd hang your art on my fridge!

I loved it when Toph bended the wall of "their" house. That was excellent! It was brilliant when Momo flew out of the house through the hole in the wall that Toph created! Little details like that really make me appreciate the show even more.

It's safe to say some of our members were absolutely right! Jet was "working" for the Dai Li. I could actually feel Katara's concerns when Jet surprised her. She wasn't wasting any time putting him in his place. Later, when the group was trying to help Jet remember what had happened to him, I was very amused by the "kissing" suggestion made by Sokka. Aang's face was priceless!

I did have tears come to my eyes when Jet was remembering the destruction of his town. GRRR! Rough Rhinos! I want Jet to be able to face them one day! He should have the satisfaction of avenging his parent's death's.

I like the way the writers had Zuko find out about Appa being in the city. I was wondering how he was going to find out. It is good to see where the "lost" poster from Comic Con tied in with the series Cheesy When Zuko told Iroh about Appa, I am so glad Iroh put his foot down. He has let Zuko try to find his way many times before, but now he is challenging Zuko to really think for himself. Awesome!

This episode was amazing from start to finish. Toph was....so FREAKING AWESOME! I could watch an entire episode dedicated to her earthbending...actually I could watch hours of her earthbending! I hope Bumi and Toph meet one day! As for Toph being a living polygraph...um..ok..I buy that. This will come in handy later when Zuko tells them he isn't trying to capture them anymore Cheesy

The return of the Blue Spirit scene was excellent. The way he lured that agent into the alley...wow. I have to admit, I am like Pavlov's dog every time I hear the Blue Spirit's music...as soon as I realized it...my heart started racing!

The end of the episode blew my mind. Jet can't be dead..he just can't. He must avenge his parents. He must lead Smellerbee and Longshot. I simply can't believe it...He was destined to do more than die at the hand's of Long Feng.

Once again, Opal called it! Remembering the Fire Nation helped pull Jet out of it. Then Katara healed his mind furthur.

It's sooo late..and I have to sleep...but I can't stop thinking about Iroh's speech. How did Iroh know about Zuko almost dying in the North Pole? How did Iroh know where Zuko was? You know, I don't care how he did it. Iroh pwns all! He laid it all out for Zuko! He gave it to him straight...and Zuko let Appa go. Then, Zuko let the Blue Spirit go...I think the Blue Spirit will be back as well....I think Zuko might need to conceal his identity again in the future.

Oh..one more favorite moment....Appa skipped Long Feng like a stone across the lake! That was sooo sweet!

Sleep now...dream of Appa...

iijyanaika
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

미 안 해 요~

ejyanaika@hotmail.com iijyanaika
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2006 04:26 am »

this was a great episode. but for those who think jet is dead........where are you pulling this from? one big reason why he's not -rough rhinos- what significance would it be to show them, and have jet die. i think we're due for a freedon fighters/RR fight. jet needs his redemption. and if they were going to kill him off, they probably would have showed some random fire nation soldier.  

the episode felt a little more rushed than any of the past episodes, and i wished they would have made the dai li fight a little more intense, since they are the guardians of ba sing se. but hey i also want avatar episodes an  hour long, so i can't always get what i want Smiley~

great episode, toph i thnk stole the bending spotlight for this one. these last three episodes are going to be insane.  

~nobody watches someone walking away, without wanting to be with them~
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: