Aug 20, 2018 04:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Avatar Style Guide" info from 2005  (Read 16342 times)
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #50 on: Jul 25, 2009 07:48 pm »

Hence we can conclude that when Toph was designed as a boy he was not blind. That trait was added to make Toph appear more "helpless" and increase the contrast.
Now, I no this is is wrong.  One of their interviews they clearly said the original plans were for a blind man.  Yes, the small girl thing was added latter, but the blind thing was there from the beginning, as they wanted someone more connected to the earth, plus the blind master is a...not uncommon martial arts story archetype.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Jul 25, 2009 08:00 pm »

Hence we can conclude that when Toph was designed as a boy he was not blind. That trait was added to make Toph appear more "helpless" and increase the contrast.
Now, I no this is is wrong.  One of their interviews they clearly said the original plans were for a blind man.  Yes, the small girl thing was added latter, but the blind thing was there from the beginning, as they wanted someone more connected to the earth, plus the blind master is a...not uncommon martial arts story archetype.
Can you cite the  interview? Or give me any help in finding it?

Edit: Even so, the rest of the post still stands, This entire "style Guide" is bull.

Edit the second: Double checking the "women of avatar: Toph" on youtube they don't mention the blindness so I will concede that point. But given that there are still four major problems with the supposed "style guide" it's still very clearly a fake.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2009 08:14 pm by clockworkchaos » Logged
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #52 on: Jul 25, 2009 08:43 pm »

I agree with cloackworkchaos. It seems to me the "style guide" is nothing more than a really bad AU fanfiction.

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #53 on: Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm »

I wasn't defending the style guide, just pointing out that stuck out at me..

Anyway, my original post seems to have been eaten by the internet, so I'll just: no, unfortunately I cannot remember where exactly I got this from.  I think it was the season 2 dvd commentaries, but to be honest,there a lot of interviews spread far and wide across the internet, and it has been so long since I referred to any of them that i have no idea where most are.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
Ragamuffin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Wakfan

« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm »

I can't vouch for the veracity of the info, other than the fact that it sounds pretty legit to me.

As for that imageboard I mentioned, it's actually filled with a lot of people who are quite passionate about Avatar, and since it's a spin-off it actually doesn't attract that many trolls. It's definitely an adult-only environment though.
Dominic Arcos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Jul 25, 2009 11:43 pm »

The /a/ board is actually pretty cool.  Tons and tons of fanart (only half of which is work-safe), and some decent stories.  And their Gaang Jr. project, which is kind of cool.  I'd suggest visiting it, as long as you keep an open mind about it.
Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I need you to let me touch it.

« Reply #56 on: Jul 26, 2009 12:19 am »

The information in the guide itself may actually pre-date 2005, seeing as how that's when the show aired (and when animation was completed).  This actually looks like a basic write up of a pitch. So it's not a far cry.  Animations are always going through major changes between the initial pitch and the final product.  This was clearly written up before Ehasz was on board, as many interviews noted a lot of major changes were brought up by him.   The creators only do so much.  It's the other writers and artists who really bring life to it and do all the major clean up work.

Basically, Bryke = this and other rough drafts, ideas, concept sketches, etc
Aaron and the other staff = other ideas, refining Bryke's ideas, final drafts, final concepts, animation, etc

The whole thing reads weirdly because Bryke even admitted to being a bunch of anime and kung fu movie nerds. This definitely reads like a bad anime.  It's been stated before that it was Aaron who suggested Toph's estrogen injection, and he was probably the one to suggest Azula's as well.  He's a really talented writer so he probably saw their basic character concepts and made them work (mostly in part by changing their genders). 

So yeah, this is not a far cry from being real at all. It's very believable.

Not to mention I heard about the Evil!Iroh thing years ago, before this was up on the imageboard.  Someone had to have had this information previously.

clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #57 on: Jul 26, 2009 09:34 am »

The information in the guide itself may actually pre-date 2005, seeing as how that's when the show aired (and when animation was completed).  This actually looks like a basic write up of a pitch. So it's not a far cry.  Animations are always going through major changes between the initial pitch and the final product.  This was clearly written up before Ehasz was on board, as many interviews noted a lot of major changes were brought up by him.   The creators only do so much.  It's the other writers and artists who really bring life to it and do all the major clean up work.

Basically, Bryke = this and other rough drafts, ideas, concept sketches, etc
Aaron and the other staff = other ideas, refining Bryke's ideas, final drafts, final concepts, animation, etc
NOPE. This is one I can knock down rather easily. Look up the "Unaired Pilot", that was the early Pitch. Note that during that time Katara was refered to as "Kya". Not Katara.
And secondly, given how long the episodes take to make (season2-3 delay, mide season 3 delay) we can conclude that the majority of episdoes were already done well before they started airing. So episode 3, was likely already finished well before 2005 as well.

The whole thing reads weirdly because Bryke even admitted to being a bunch of anime and kung fu movie nerds. This definitely reads like a bad anime.  It's been stated before that it was Aaron who suggested Toph's estrogen injection, and he was probably the one to suggest Azula's as well.  He's a really talented writer so he probably saw their basic character concepts and made them work (mostly in part by changing their genders). 

So yeah, this is not a far cry from being real at all. It's very believable.
That's half the problem. A bunch of Anime nerds would never refer to bending as 'magic'. Anime does have magic, but that sort of super martial arts (think DBZ, Naruto, Fist of the north star) is never referred to as magic, even in series that have both.

And maybe it reads like a bad anime because it was written by an anime (which consists of a large section of the Avatar fanbase) fan, passing of his AU as real.

Not to mention I heard about the Evil!Iroh thing years ago, before this was up on the imageboard.  Someone had to have had this information previously.

Like where? Any thing official? Anything official at all? Cause if you can find me even one official thing I'd like to see it. Cause I suspect you read it as a fan theory, or some fan claiming it was real. And the same guy who made this guide also read that fan theory, and therefore decided to incorporate it.

I can't vouch for the veracity of the info, other than the fact that it sounds pretty legit to me.

As for that imageboard I mentioned, it's actually filled with a lot of people who are quite passionate about Avatar, and since it's a spin-off it actually doesn't attract that many trolls. It's definitely an adult-only environment though.
The /a/ board is actually pretty cool.  Tons and tons of fanart (only half of which is work-safe), and some decent stories.  And their Gaang Jr. project, which is kind of cool.  I'd suggest visiting it, as long as you keep an open mind about it.
Did I ever insult the board, or make any comment about it at all? A board that's earnest and passionate about this sort of thing is the best place to post things like this. A board that is only full of trolls has people to cynical, and the passion means the story will get spread far and wide.
Dominic Arcos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: Jul 26, 2009 09:38 am »

Did I ever insult the board, or make any comment about it at all? A board that's earnest and passionate about this sort of thing is the best place to post things like this. A board that is only full of trolls has people to cynical, and the passion means the story will get spread far and wide.

I wasn't trying to imply you had, I was just giving my opinion of /a/.
clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Jul 26, 2009 09:48 am »

Alright can I get a  link to the original thread? Since it apparently contained pictures, I would like to see those.

Edit:
New Problems

These are the guide contradicting itself.
[several pages of animation and layouts from the Zuko/Zhao firebending duel in 103, with notes to emphasize the dynamism/crispness/solidity of the characters and the fire effects]

Another incredible artist who has worked on Avatar and influenced it heavily is Ryu Gi Hyun. Gi Hyun has animated a lot of signature scenes for Avatar (his most popular is the foaming mouth guy in 104, which was completely his idea). His drawings of our characters are so exemplary that JM Animation uses them as model and expression sheets for Avatar's animation production. Now the artists here in Burbank are using his work as a model and feeding it back into the show.
Furthermore the design work for 104 wasn't complete until after 103 was finished (hence the reason Kyoshi was completely different in the two episodes). This talks about "foaming mouth guy", from episdoe 104, implying it was written after 103 was completed.  Except the script it posts for 103 is completely different.

And 2
"...I found the promotional character bios from September of 2005. Zuko's in particular is interesting:

"Zuko is an incredibly focused teenage Firebender who bullies and intimidates everyone around him. He is obsessed with capturing the Avatar. Prince Zuko is the oldest son of Fire Lord Ozai, ruler of the Fire Nation, and the great-grandson of Fire Lord Sozin, who conceived the war. When Prince Zuko was 14, he spoke out against his father and the Fire Nation's conquest. To teach his insubordinate son a lesson, Fire Lord Ozai forced his son to fight him in a traditional Firebender duel. The Fire Lord defeated his son in front of his royal army, stripped the Prince of his birthright to the throne and banished him from his homeland, telling him the only way he will allow his return is with the Avatar, dead or alive. This is now Prince Zuko's mission.
Important bits highlighted. This guide states that Zuko spoke out against the conquest. Yet that contradicts what we saw in "The Storm" where he only spoke out a particular plan, not the conquest. The storm air on 3 June, 2005 . That's an entire 3 months beforehand. And given that a bio is a piece of text, this should have been easy to modify.

Edit the second: Found the thread in question. There arn't any images from the guide, gee I'm shocked.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2009 10:31 am by clockworkchaos » Logged
Digimon Emperor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

F.ace E.verything A.nd R.ise

« Reply #60 on: Jul 26, 2009 11:10 am »

If the guide is/was true, if anything who knows how the show would've turned out if it went in that direction.  For me it might've been a hit or miss show if I watched if it went in the direction made in this topic, but all in all I like the direction that it went.

Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Jul 26, 2009 12:44 pm »

One of the people who worked on the series mentioned that there was an original idea to have Iroh actually be a bad guy. This was mentioned in 2006/2007.

The pilot had nothing to do with the plot. It was literally just an animated example of what would be in the show.  "There's the good guys, the bad guys, the bad guys want the bald kid, Zuko's a failure as a villain, Aang kicks his butt and he kills his hawk. The end." The full "plot" could have been written up later.  As in order to start official production you needed the beginning, middle, and end before the other writers could step in and fine tune it.   The first pitch of South Park was animated while the guys were in college, long before they knew the personality of their characters. Comedy Central took it anyway.   The pilot has nothing to do with the plot. Pilots hardly ever do. (Except in Gossip Girl, where the pilot had more to do with the original plot than the rest of the series. :/ )

One thing I'd like to point out - notice how different Iroh's character is in the first few episodes compared to later ones in the same season.  In the beginning he was lazy and goofy (blowing off teaching Zuko more firebending, humoring his behavior (especially with Zhao). Of course he did have his "nice Iroh" moments, but it wasn't as father-son until around Siege of the North)

So yes, while it may read oddly I can't see a single reason why this wouldn't be a conceptual write up that was passed around to get ideas flowing. 

clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Jul 26, 2009 01:54 pm »

One of the people who worked on the series mentioned that there was an original idea to have Iroh actually be a bad guy. This was mentioned in 2006/2007.

The pilot had nothing to do with the plot. It was literally just an animated example of what would be in the show.  "There's the good guys, the bad guys, the bad guys want the bald kid, Zuko's a failure as a villain, Aang kicks his butt and he kills his hawk. The end." The full "plot" could have been written up later.  As in order to start official production you needed the beginning, middle, and end before the other writers could step in and fine tune it.   The first pitch of South Park was animated while the guys were in college, long before they knew the personality of their characters. Comedy Central took it anyway.   The pilot has nothing to do with the plot. Pilots hardly ever do. (Except in Gossip Girl, where the pilot had more to do with the original plot than the rest of the series. :/ )

One thing I'd like to point out - notice how different Iroh's character is in the first few episodes compared to later ones in the same season.  In the beginning he was lazy and goofy (blowing off teaching Zuko more firebending, humoring his behavior (especially with Zhao). Of course he did have his "nice Iroh" moments, but it wasn't as father-son until around Siege of the North)

So yes, while it may read oddly I can't see a single reason why this wouldn't be a conceptual write up that was passed around to get ideas flowing. 

Except the "evil Iroh" Zuko bio was supposedly written in September.  Which was after half the season had already aired. And after "winter solstice", and "the storm" which you'd know if you read my last post. Both of which featured a markedly competent Iroh. So no, as I already pointied out, not only is the guide not consistent with external evidence, it's not internally constant.

And I'd like to know who it was who mentioned it. The interview, post or commentary where they did, please?

Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Jul 26, 2009 04:16 pm »

Boozebenders podcast. I forget which one.  But they got on the subject of Iroh and Zuko and one of them mentioned that while looking over original material for the show that Iroh's character was different. And then they mentioned Iroh originally teaching Zuko flawed firebending.  Google the name. Should bring you to their podcasts.

clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #64 on: Jul 26, 2009 05:34 pm »

Boozebenders podcast. I forget which one.  But they got on the subject of Iroh and Zuko and one of them mentioned that while looking over original material for the show that Iroh's character was different. And then they mentioned Iroh originally teaching Zuko flawed firebending.  Google the name. Should bring you to their podcasts.

I just went to

http://theboozebenders.livejournal.com/

and listened to both episode 5.1 and 5.2 which were all about Zuko. There was nothing. I also looked at the other episode summaries,a nd none of them mentionied eithier the orginal materials, or Iroh as a topic. Could you please direct me to the episode in question, or at least tell me what else was in in it?
Iscah
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Jul 29, 2009 07:33 am »

Regarding the idea that Iroh was really working against Zuko early in the series... it certainly seems to be the case, and if Iroh really was initially intended to be a villain it could have worked - but from a final-canon perspective I take it as him subtly working against the Fire-Nation-in-general's attempts to capture the Avatar.
Kyatto
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2009 12:41 pm »

I just went to

and listened to both episode 5.1 and 5.2 which were all about Zuko. There was nothing. I also looked at the other episode summaries,a nd none of them mentionied eithier the orginal materials, or Iroh as a topic. Could you please direct me to the episode in question, or at least tell me what else was in in it?

It was one of the earlier ones.  They were discussing production and one of them brought up the Bible.

clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2009 10:01 pm »

Boozebenders podcast. I forget which one.  But they got on the subject of Iroh and Zuko and one of them mentioned that while looking over original material for the show that Iroh's character was different. And then they mentioned Iroh originally teaching Zuko flawed firebending.  Google the name. Should bring you to their podcasts.

I just went to

It was one of the earlier ones.  They were discussing production and one of them brought up the Bible.

Thank you for making me go through the episodes in order to find out your evidence. It was episode 2. However this podcast was available before the supposed style guide came up. Interestingly in episode 3 I noted they spent a bit of time talking about a  avatar hoax that appeared... on 4chan (not this specific hoax but another one).

I ask once again, why is a style guide from 2005 inconsistent with episodes FROM 2005. Why is Zuko's profile from September inconsistent with episodes that debuted before then. Why does the guide mention work on 103 and 107, yet is inconsistent with these episodes? Why does it mention someone coming up with foaming mouth guy, (from 104) when we know the designs from 104 were not finished before 103 was finished (hence the disparity between the statues) and the guide is not consistent with the plot of 103?

The only explanation you have given was that is wwas really from 2004, but that brings up a larger problem. There was a style guide from 2004.
From rufftoons journal
:iconsongdynasty: has started to post some goodies on DA, and what goodies these are!!
Original illustrations from the official style guide of the Avatar The Last Airbender serie. I remember seeing those in the press kits and other promotions.
Go and give her some love- for she is an awesome person and artist.

http://songdynasty.deviantart.com/gallery/

now let's compare that to the post
[several pages of animation and layouts from the Zuko/Zhao firebending duel in 103, with notes to emphasize the dynamism/crispness/solidity of the characters and the fire effects]

[animation/layouts of Aang right after he comes out of the iceberg, as well as Sokka and Katara]

[many pages of screengrabs from the show, some of which are from the pilot, with notes about what to pay attention to]

Note that the actual one has no screen grabs. Has no "Aang" out of iceberg. Has several shots of Aang that do not appear in the unaired pilot (just rewatched). The descriptions of pictures from the supposed guide, and the pictures actually posted do not match up, at all. Of them, only three pictures (the Katara, Sokka and Zuko) ones are possibly consistent, and then only because the supposed guide mentioned something generic as "Sokka and Katara". (just watched the duel between Zhao and Zuko, that leg sweep shot never appears)

So why is this guide inconsistent with 2004 guide? Inconsistent with anything made in 2005.  And inconsistent with itself? And why are there no scan's/images when it was originally posted on an image board.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2009 10:04 pm by clockworkchaos » Logged
theo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

icon: blaqkmarket

« Reply #68 on: Jul 31, 2009 01:35 am »

Iroh as a co-conspirator with Ozai in keeping Zuko from reaching his potential. An ongoing conflict between EK and FN forces following the eclipse. Zuko returns home, decries his father a second time, and becomes the target of an elite squad of firebending assassins. An Aang that actually understands the dangers of waiting until after the comet instead of goofing off like he did in the series. Katara reacting with outrage upon learning that Aang's decision to run away is the reason for one hundred years of war. Sokka leaving the gang in the first season to join the war effort and taking a subsequent step toward the realization that the Avatar is the world's only hope for peace. Katara challenging Pakku not for her own sake, but for Aang's. Pakku on his deathbed in the wake of the FN siege. Zuko and Katara get captured by FN soldiers while Aang prepares to fight Ozai. Aang's ability to listen to and communicate with nature used in more than just one episode. Azula and Toph as boys, and the love triangle between Aang, Katara and Toph that ensues as a result. The Emperor of Ba Sing Se involved in the war, albeit secretly, instead of denying its existence. Rafting as a means of travel following Appa's abduction. Aang and Zuko fight at the north pole and Aang spares Zuko's life.

Fake or not, this is very cool stuff.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #69 on: Aug 11, 2009 06:32 pm »

Mike and Brian have briefly mentioned magic in pssing in one of the commentaries.  Can't remember which one, though.

And since this is a very rough draft, I'm not sure how much of Kataang they'd actually developed by then.

But if it is indeed from 4 Chan, then we can safely consider it a fake.
clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #70 on: Aug 12, 2009 12:44 am »

Mike and Brian have briefly mentioned magic in pssing in one of the commentaries.  Can't remember which one, though.

And since this is a very rough draft, I'm not sure how much of Kataang they'd actually developed by then.

But if it is indeed from 4 Chan, then we can safely consider it a fake.
You know if they were mentioning it in referencing the Avatar or in referencing bending? Cause at least for me that makes a significant difference.

I'm not convinced that it being from 4chan makes it a fake. The timeline problems (that it isn't consistent with the 2004 guide, isn't consistent with one that would have been written in 2005 and isn't consistent with itself) are a much larger problem for me.
Jimothy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Aug 12, 2009 08:38 am »

They do jokingly refer to bending as "magic kung fu" in the "Siege of the North" commentary.

sot.ag/MzkzODAw Click this so I can meet Mike and Bryan!
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #72 on: Aug 12, 2009 02:36 pm »

The one thing that makes me think it could be plausible is the bit about Zuko facing Iroh.  Obviously Zuko survived, but the plot at that point seems to have been in mid-developement.

I can't see a fan making this up and then simply mention something as awesome as Zuko fighting Iroh only in passing.  They gave no conclusion and did not expand on the subject at all... which I can't see someone doing if they were writing a hoax.  They would have included more information.

But if Mike and Brian did write this, I can see them leaving such a thing out because they hadn't quite decided where they wanted to go with it yet.  It was a plot point still in the brainstorming process.

A fan would have elaborated on such a cool concept.
clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Aug 12, 2009 03:08 pm »

The one thing that makes me think it could be plausible is the bit about Zuko facing Iroh.  Obviously Zuko survived, but the plot at that point seems to have been in mid-developement.

I can't see a fan making this up and then simply mention something as awesome as Zuko fighting Iroh only in passing.  They gave no conclusion and did not expand on the subject at all... which I can't see someone doing if they were writing a hoax.  They would have included more information.

But if Mike and Brian did write this, I can see them leaving such a thing out because they hadn't quite decided where they wanted to go with it yet.  It was a plot point still in the brainstorming process.

A fan would have elaborated on such a cool concept.
.... I'll say I doubt it and leave it at that.

If it is real, then please answer the question I have been asking again and again. Why the hell is the supposed guide so inconsistent with it's timeline?

1) The "bio" is from September 2005 but by that time "The storm" had already debuted, which directly contradicted by "Bio"
2) The guide contradicts stuff from the "southern air temple" which debuted on February 25, 2005. This had two major problems
a)Given how long it takes to go from script>full episode. We're supposed to accept taht this guide was fully written, then the episode was changed, drawn, and acted all in the span of two months?
b) The guide mentions the foaming mouth guy, who debuted in episode 4. Worse foaming mouth guys creation was a result of an animator taking inciative, so he could not have come about until "Kyoshi island' was under production. Since the earth Avatar in "Southern Air Temple"  was a different design than Avatar Kyoshi. We can be fairly certain that work on "Kyoshi Island" didn't start until after "Southern Air Temple" was finished.
3) There was a real style guide, in 2004. However the pictures posted in this style guide (http://songdynasty.deviantart.com/gallery/) are not consistent with the description given in the fake.
Quote from: fake_guide
[animation/layouts of Aang right after he comes out of the iceberg, as well as Sokka and Katara]
[many pages of screengrabs from the show, some of which are from the pilot, with notes about what to pay attention to]
[The last page is typed]
Note that the posted pics have no screen grabs. And none of the scenes appear in eithier the firebending duel or the pilot.

This guide's information is inconsistent with anything possibly written in 2005. It is inconsistent with the real guide from 2004. And it is inconsistent with itself.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009 03:11 pm by clockworkchaos » Logged
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #74 on: Aug 13, 2009 03:14 pm »

You win.

The real guide from 2004?  Where can I see it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: