Aug 23, 2017 09:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 73 (33.3%)
9 - 43 (19.6%)
8 - 44 (20.1%)
7 - 32 (14.6%)
6 - 16 (7.3%)
5 - 2 (0.9%)
4 - 3 (1.4%)
3 - 1 (0.5%)
2 - 1 (0.5%)
1 - 4 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 209

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [114] The Fortuneteller  (Read 22941 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #150 on: Sep 23, 2010 11:14 am »

... until after episode 9.

That doesn't happen in episode 9.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #151 on: Sep 26, 2010 11:31 pm »

... until after episode 9.

That doesn't happen in episode 9.

I know, she finds out she can heal after the waterbending scroll

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #152 on: Sep 28, 2010 02:07 am »

If you think the "filler" in season 1 is bad, just wait until season 3... Tongue

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #153 on: Sep 28, 2010 02:17 am »

If you think the "filler" in season 1 is bad, just wait until season 3... Tongue

--There is no filler in Season Three...

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #154 on: Sep 28, 2010 02:25 am »

I put "filler" in quotations for a reason.

By "filler" I meant episodes that were a waste of time overall (not necessarily bad) and didn't do enough to further the plot. Yes there were a lot of character centric episodes, but season 2 managed to balance characters and plot. The same can't be said of season 3.

my Last Airbender comics
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #155 on: Sep 28, 2010 02:42 am »

I put "filler" in quotations for a reason.

By "filler" I meant episodes that were a waste of time overall (not necessarily bad) and didn't do enough to further the plot. Yes there were a lot of character centric episodes, but season 2 managed to balance characters and plot. The same can't be said of season 3.

Ah. Internet sarcasm is elusive. "Hard to see, the Dark Side is."  Tongue

(It's 2:30 in the morning. Leave me alone.  Tongue)

True, Season Three was more choppy with its episodes; alternating between plot-isodes and character-sodes. And I agree with your assessment that a filler episode is an episode that's a complete waste of time. Stuff like "The Great Divide", or "Avatar Day" minus the bit about Kyoshi.

Sig by The_Elite.
Nastalgic99
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Firelord you're next.

« Reply #156 on: Sep 28, 2010 09:15 am »

Lol someone is in denial, season three had filler, the headband, the painted lady, the beach, the runaway, nightmares and daydreams.

Keeper of Bumi's fashion sense, smile, metal coffin, and Jeong Jeong's raggedy robes, and candles.
Proud supporter of the Red Lotus
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #157 on: Sep 28, 2010 10:47 am »

Those would be filler, were it not for the character-building and/or meaty B-plots.

Sig by The_Elite.
Nastalgic99
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Firelord you're next.

« Reply #158 on: Sep 28, 2010 11:00 am »

I'll give you that, however the painted lady had no b plot, fed katara's helping people fetish to the point of worship and was nothing but filler. The rest of the episodes i mentioned had terrible aplots and had no point but to take up time.

Keeper of Bumi's fashion sense, smile, metal coffin, and Jeong Jeong's raggedy robes, and candles.
Proud supporter of the Red Lotus
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #159 on: Sep 28, 2010 11:15 am »

Not true.

"The Painted Lady" was all about building Katara's character. Sure, we already knew she was like that, but we'd never seen it on that scale before. The point was to emphasize just how far Katara was willing to go to for what she believed in. Although, it's probably my least-favorite Book Three episode.  Tongue

"The Headband" had Kataang relationship-building all over it. It also dealt with Aang's feelings on just being a normal kid, not the avatar, in addition to showing us the more innocent side of the Fire Nation, which, up until then had been the faceless destroyer of peace and balance in the world.

"The Beach" was also mostly character-driven, giving us insight into the show's main villains at that point on the same level that we had gotten inside the heads of the heroes in episodes past. The campfire scene is definite proof of this. We also learned that Azula is incompetant unless she's conquering somebody, which is both funny and terrifying.  Cheesy

"The Runaway" was all about Toph's and Katara's relationship as well as Toph's feeling on her parents. Like the others mentioned, it doesn't do much for the plot, but there's more to a good story than just the plot. Learning about the heroes you folow and what makes them tick is always worthwhile.

"Nightmares and Daydreams", while it was more a shot at humor than anything else, dealt with Aang's fears and insecurities about the task he was faced with. If you'll notice, his last nightmare, the one where he lost all his friends and failed the world, actually wasn't that funny. But, since this is Nick and TVY7, there's only so much Bryke can actually drop for us. If you're old enough to handle it, you have to pick up the hints and assemble them yourself. And the B-plot set us up for "The Phoenix King", in addition to building Maiko and setting us up for Zuko's plot in "The Invasion" and "The Eclipse".

But, we're getting off-topic here. On-topic, "The Fortuneteller" wasn't filler either.  Tongue

Sig by The_Elite.
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #160 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:08 pm »

Lol someone is in denial, season three had filler, the headband, the painted lady, the beach, the runaway, nightmares and daydreams.
Yeah alot of people think that too but for me all of the episode have a meaning or some type of message Painted lady taugh that some times you need to help yourself and help others when in need. Nightmares and daydreams taught that you should never run away from reality, even though it is bad and its your destiny, and finally the runaway that taught that even though you have differences, people who that your close too love you for you are.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #161 on: Oct 23, 2010 05:22 pm »

Of course they all have lessons, but they were still a waste of time overall.  Season 2 managed to balance plot, humor, drama, action, lessons, etc. very well, but seasons 1 and 3 (especially 3) were sort of all over the place.

my Last Airbender comics
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #162 on: Dec 05, 2010 06:16 am »

^ I agree, never have i seen such ignorant and stupid people (besides the chin village, the tribes in the great divide, and the village in the painted lady). Overall this episode was ok, i'm being very nice tonight.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #163 on: Mar 05, 2011 07:13 pm »

The second worst episode of the series, still decent though.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #164 on: Mar 06, 2011 12:05 pm »

I don't really have much of a problem with this episode, its just that it airs too much around here. About the lessons.. ATLA really was intended to be a kids show, and they did do a great job of teaching lessons without being overly obnoxious about it. Its just that they missed their target audience by nearly a decade Cheesy

As for what constitutes filler, I completely agree with Celestine, though I think they did sacrifice too much plot for character development in season 3. I think both Seasons 1 and 2 hit the right balance.

The Fortuneteller is not a great episode, but there was a good meaning in it and it really didn't detract from S1's plot, so I don't mind it.

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #165 on: Mar 06, 2011 02:36 pm »

As for me, I thought this Episode was a mixed bag.  I loved it for it's great writing and characters, but there was just so little that happened in this Episode, and quite a bit of wasted opportunity with the plot points.  For those wondering why I still gave it a B, well, that's just how much I liked the characters in this Episode.

SilverSandwich
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #166 on: Mar 06, 2011 10:42 pm »

While I'm in the camp that wishes the series had gone to four books as a way to protect against charges of "too much filler!" later on (and to make Aang learning Spirit Bending seem more reasonable and less deus ex machina-ish), I never really had a problem with the character-centric episodes or the ones that "didn't get anything done", namely in Books 1 and 3.

Avatar, as a series, attempted to create a full mythology, and as such, that meant there'd be chapters of Aang's story that didn't necessarily seem to tie into the main plot. That's not all that uncommon in various other mythologies, as sometimes you'll find stories that simply seek to tell a simple lesson, stories that just make a hero look stronger than before, etc.

Besides, The Fortuneteller was when Kataang really took off as a concept. I like that the series used this episode to really start it as an innocent teenage crush, but that they allowed it to actually develop over time. Too often in animation, a crush will turn to love at the end for seemingly little reason, simply because the writers don't want to complicate things for the younger audience, but it's fun to watch them go from where they're at here to where they end up later, even just in Book 2.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #167 on: Mar 06, 2011 11:14 pm »

Perhaps.  But what mythology did they set up here?
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #168 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:17 am »

I don't like this episode much.  It's my second least favorite.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #169 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:20 am »

I actually quite like this one. Its got some great Sokka stuff for starters Cool

"Someone really ought to SCREAM SOME SENSE at these people!" Tongue
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #170 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:26 am »

^Sokka was brilliant.  My opinion may have changed of this episode.  I was rating based entirely on my annoyance with Kataang.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #171 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:29 am »

^Sokka was brilliant.  My opinion may have changed of this episode.  I was rating based entirely on my annoyance with Kataang.

Oh yeah the Kataang was another big plus Cool
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #172 on: Mar 07, 2011 05:30 am »

^I found Aang to be trying to hard, which is one of the reasons I disliked the ship.

birdiegirl8
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

So much win in this icon.

« Reply #173 on: Mar 07, 2011 02:35 pm »

^i thought that was kind of adorable actually.

i loved Sokka's failed attempts to explain the laws of science to random strangers.

SilverSandwich
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #174 on: Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm »

Perhaps.  But what mythology did they set up here?

Eh, "The Avatar came along and saved an entire town from an erupting volcano" works. It's like other mythological heroes, building up their various exploits to make them look greater.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: