Dec 11, 2019 08:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AlternateFuture: Fall from Grace (PG-13) {Chapter 3-12/19}  (Read 16538 times)
FireLordIroh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The True Fire Lord will rise up!

« on: Oct 12, 2008 05:20 pm »

From the award-winning writer of Ozai's Triumph?...

The second of my Alternate histories.  This one involves Roku.  Everything after the underlined event can be different than the story because history is now different (Chaos theorists, you know what I'm talking about).  Also, chapters will be shorter overall, probably under 1000 words apiece.

1-Tyrant
2-Crown
3-Throne

Characters
-Fang
-Fire Lord Sozin
-Ta Min
-Senge

Chapter 1- Tyrant

The following events take place 37 years before the Comet.

I am Avatar Roku.

My dragon Fang alights on the Palace steps.  I am sad, but filled with grim resolve.  Despite my warning to my friend Sozin about the imbalances he would cause, the Fire Lord still made several colonies in the Earth Kingdom.  It's time for our inevitable confrontation.

The steps up to the palace doors are long and elegant, a tribute to the honor, prestige, and power of the Fire Lord.  Ordinarily, I would be happy for my friend and all the good fortune he has had.  But today, it is only a sad reminder of what he has done.   I reach the giant, golden doors, leading into Fire Lord Sozin's throne room.  It handles are two golden dragons, angry fire spewing from their mouths.

I take a deep breath and open the door.  Dust rolls in and the mid-day sunlight flares into the dark throne room.  I stride towards the throne, anger in my voice.  "I've seen the colony, Sozin.  How dare you occupy Earth Kingdom territory!"

My friend Sozin replies with equal anger burning in his voice.  "How dare you, a citizen of the Fire Nation, address your Fire Lord this way!  Your loyalty is to our nation first.  Anything less makes you a traitor."

My hearts goes black and my mind cries out in shock, to the loss of my friend to darkness.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely, I thought.  "Don't do this, Sozin!  Don't challenge me.  It will only end badly."

My friend stares at me with undisguised anger flaming in his eyes.  Still, he makes no move to attack me.  I close my eyes and say what I was afraid to say, but now know must be said.  "It's over."

I walk away, absorbed in my thoughts.  My best friend, the Fire Lord, has become the very tyrants we studied about in school.  I have decided that maybe I'll move to the Earth Kingdom with Ta Min, get away from all thi—

I see the blast of fire out of the corner of my eye.  Immediately, I open the ground beneath me and disappear beneath the floor.  I calculate where Sozin is standing and burrow through the earth behind him.  I pop up and begin my attack, using all my Avatar powers.

A burst of air hits Sozin hard in the back, flinging him against his dragon doors.  He smacks against the doors and slumps to the ground, moaning softly.  Then a pillar of earth grabs the back of his robes and pins him to the ceiling.  But I'm not finished yet.

I focus all of my inner will.  A glow surrounds my vision.  A small sphere of air forms in front of my chest.  It expands, getting larger and larger.  The pillars of the room crumble, and the front-half of the palace shatters  in an explosion of dust and rock.

Sozin is still hanging from my rock pillar, shielding his eyes from the explosion.  I form a tornado of air and fly up to him.  Unwavering anger still lurks in his eyes, but also fear.  If I let him go now, he would probably no longer be a threat to me.

But would it be the good of the world?  As the Avatar, my duty is to the world first, then my own emotions.  I think about this as I continue to hover in front of him.   I come to a decision.  I will discuss Sozin's fate with the Elder Monks, Water Tribe Chiefs, and Earth King later.  But I cannot kill my friend.

"I'm sparing you, Sozin.  I'm letting you go in the name of our past friendship.  But I warn you:  Even a single step out of line will result in your permanent end."

Sozin stares at me, the hatred still in his eyes.  Then he fires a blast of fire into my face.

I easily dodge the flames.  I am resolved now.  I must act for the world's greater good.  I collapse the rock pillar beneath the Fire Lord.  And he falls.  When he hits the ground, his crown rolls out of his hair. I land next the Fire Lord's body, and move the rubble surrounding him.  His eyes are wide open, shocked even in death.  I do the Fire Lord one last favor and close them.  The crown comes to a rest at my feet.

The guard is beginning to surround me, knowing that all efforts to contain me are in vain.  I nod in respect.  "Take good care of him."  I walk out of the Palace and find Fang several hundred feet away.  He gives me a questioning look as I climb on his back.

"No, Fang.  Everything is not alright."
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2008 09:03 pm by FireLordIroh » Logged

KataraFan11
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The ocean blue. No Place I'd rather be

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2008 05:30 pm »

So far it's good. I like quick reads. Keep it up! Cheesy

All are invited to read and comment in The Era Before The Avatar!
luckychaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2008 06:29 pm »

Nice. Can't wait for when the 'Alternate Future' part kicks in!
Magus1108
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Resident Long Feng Fanboy!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2008 07:36 pm »

Very interesting. I wonder what will happen now with no Sozin to start the war. Can't wait for more!

I am ze Keeper of:

Joo Dee\'s, \"There is no War in Ba Sing Se\" phrase, Long Feng\'s incredibly cool and evil voice, His awesome hair style, and his devious personality.
FireLordIroh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008 09:30 pm »

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Nice. Can't wait for when the 'Alternate Future' part kicks in!
Sozin's death begins it.  Wait 'til you see what I've got in store...

Sorry this took so long, weeks and weekends are getting increasingly hectic...

Chapter 2- Crown

The following events take place 37 years before the Comet.

I land on my island near my house.  This island of where I colonized following my announcement as an Avatar.  I led the colonization of the island.  To my chagrin, the other colonists named the island Roku’s Island in my honor.  I’ve never been fond of the title, but I’ve lived with it.

Ta Min comes out the door, slim figure framed by the dying sunlight behind her.  I say no words, but hold her tight.  Word will not spread instantly about my crime.  As I rode Fang home, I realized all the ramifications of what I did.  I killed the Fire Lord.  The government will try to capture or kill the Avatar for killing the Fire Lord.  I haven’t seen a play on Ember Island with such a cheesy plot.  Only this is real life.  I killed my friend.

We eat dinner in silence.  Eventually I gather the courage to speak.  “Sozin is… gone.”  Ta Min looks up at me from her food, a look with a mixture of questioning and shock.  “Gone?  Is this about that colony in the Earth Kingdom?  Roku, what did you do?”

“He tried to kill me, Ta Min! Twice!”  I pause, trying to restrain my emotions.  “You haven’t seen him recently.  He became a monster… a threat to the entire world.  I stopped the threat.  If there was any other way, believe me, Ta Min, I would've..."

She looks back down on her food.  There are no words, no words to describe the horror that must be tearing at her insides.  "They'll come for you.  What'll we do?"

I look at her resolutely.  "Tonight we're packing our essentials.  If anyone comes, we'll leave on Fang and head for the Earth Kingdom."  She nods, amazed how fast everything is moving.  I am surprised myself.

A few days go by, but nothing of note happens.  Occasionally in the market, I hear a snippet, a rumor, that someone killed the Fire Lord.  By the end of the week, everyone knows that the Fire Lord is dead.  Fortunately, no one on my island knows who.

They come at night.

If it weren’t for Fang, I would have never heard them coming.  One warning growl is all I need.  The earthern wall of my crumbles as I earthbend it into a shield, quickly sliding across the ground on a mound of earth toward Fang.  Three men are trying to put a muzzle of Fang, another nine stand around watching.  On my arrival, eight of them charge.  Their leader calmly stands back and watches the ensuing chaos.

I easily duck under the assailant’s first blast.  I drive up into his chest, lifting him and throwing him into another attacker, taking them both out.  A stomp of my foot blocks another fire blast, a second stomp encases his feet, and a third stomp sends a rock into the attacker’s skull.  The assailant leader is still just standing there, but a small smile has appeared on his face.

Two more men try to jump me from opposite directions.  I simply roll and let them collide in the air above me.  I stand up, a sphere of water surrounding me, drawn from a nearby well.  There are four attackers left, each bearing the emblem of the Elite Royal Guard.  They are the best of the best.

They don’t stand a chance.

My eyes flash, and four blasts of air exit my water sphere.  Instantly, all four men are gasping for air.  In the next instant, my water sphere shatters outward, encasing all four men in ice.  I turn back to the assailant leader.  I turn to see lightning nearly fully charged.  I can do nothing.  No one can redirect lightning.

Fang saves me.  At the last second, he snaps his head, sending an assailant flying into his leader.  The lightning bolt goes wide, striking the mountain behind me.  The assailant leader lands in the dust at my feet.  I use a mound of earth to stand him up.  “Talk.”

The assailant leader suddenly smiles.  “Congratulations, Roku.  You passed the test.”  I recognize the voice.  It is Senge, Captain of the Royal Guard of the late Fire Lord.  We three were all in the same graduating class at the Academy.

“What test?”

“The Fire Lord, as you know, has no legitimate successor.  In his last will, his throne, if not to his son, was ‘to go to the strongest.’  Naturally, the Avatar is the strongest person in the Fire Nation.”

I stagger backwards in shock as Senge smiles again.  “Would you take the title of Fire Lord for the good of your nation?”

Magus1108
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2008 09:43 pm »

Oh my....now, this is very interesting. I hope Roku takes the job. It should be entertaining. Wait...hasn't Azulon been born? He was Sozin's son, right? I can't remember. This seems very interesting. I sure do wonder what the future of the Avatar world will be like with Sozin dead...

I am ze Keeper of:

Joo Dee\'s, \"There is no War in Ba Sing Se\" phrase, Long Feng\'s incredibly cool and evil voice, His awesome hair style, and his devious personality.
MingUe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

MingZula is Forever

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2008 08:35 pm »

Okay that has earned a WTF awesome-sause moment.
Roku as Fire Lord? No Azulon? This changes EVERYTHING!

Why Edward Hates Blondes?

Avy by Tonnie & Sig by Electrimafried
luckychaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2008 09:17 pm »

Wow! Firelord Roku? Obviously there are gonna be some complications there...

Interesting how the Avatar doesn't know how to redirect lightning. I'm curious though, will this story have the characters from the show at all (at the show's present time, I mean)?
Froy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am »

Aha! I was not expecting that! this shall be interesting...
i wouldn't have thought that Roku would think of running away. Surely it would make sense to ensure that whoever succeeded Sozin knew their place, and then go to the EK colony to kick out the soldiers there, if they hadnt already been given the order to come back home. But this is of course IRRELEVANT. hm, yes, what will Fire Lord Roku do with his now even greater power? cant wait for the next installment!

'The March of Civilisation' http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=15868.0

'The best fanfic on ASN' - The Times

:'S
t-town
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2008 11:57 am »

Nice, Like how you put ... years before the comet.
Roku firelord? Let's see how that ends...
clockworkchaos
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2008 01:59 pm »

An interesting take, (I love "for want of a nail" fics) I like how you arranged the transfer without making Roku ooc, (such as killing Sozin and instantly deciding "I will be Fire Lord!")
Froy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2008 06:37 pm »

WAHEY! another fan of the legendary David Hume

Ra Ra Rasputin, Lover of the Russian Queen!
There was a cat that really was gone!
Ra Ra Rasputin, Russia's Greatest Love Machine!
It was a shame how he carried on!

'The March of Civilisation' http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=15868.0

FireLordIroh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2008 09:03 pm »

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

EARLY WINTER BREAK!!!! I'm celebrating with updates on both, yes BOTH, of my fics (Ozai's Triumph will be updated very soon)!  Have a great Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Winter/<insert holiday here>. 

Oh my....now, this is very interesting. I hope Roku takes the job. It should be entertaining. Wait...hasn't Azulon been born? He was Sozin's son, right? I can't remember. This seems very interesting. I sure do wonder what the future of the Avatar world will be like with Sozin dead...
No- Azulon was born 5 years after the Comet.  Azulon, and be extension Iroh, Lu Ten, Ozai, Zuko, and Azula never exist in this continuum.

Chapter 3- Throne
It is time for my coronation ceremony.

It has been several months since Senge's little visit about the title of Fire Lord.  Ta Min and I had several long talks since then.  I eventually decided that I would take the throne.  However, it will not be for power's sake.  I've already got all the elements under my control.  No, power isn't something I need.

I'm what the Fire Nation needs.

My country needs someone who knows a lot about foreign affairs.  I have traveled and studied abroad in all four nations, and I have kept good relations with all of them.  The Fire Nation needs someone who won't succumb to his emotions, or the whims of the people.  I have fought a thousand battles, and all my comrades will agree I never lost control once.  Finally, the Fire Nation needs someone who understands unity, both in nation and abroad.  As the Avatar, I can see my people's view as well as the entire world's greater good.  And so I will be the next Fire Lord.

I step out from my royal procession and walk up to the Palace Gates.  Two dozen royal guard members respond with fireballs, arching them through the sky.  The sun shines bright on my crown prince hairpiece.  It only strikes me now about the irony of wearing Sozin's crown prince hairpiece to my coronation as his successor.  I shrug it off and walk into the courtyard of the palace.  The citizens, almost my citizens now, cheering enthusiastically for "Fire Lord Avatar" walks past.  I reach the doors to the rebuilt throne room.  The handles are just the same as when I walked in here to confront Sozin.  The angry fire that makes up the lower half of the door handle seems directed at me.  I shudder slightly, but clasp the handles and open the large doors.

A large crowd is packed into the throne room.  Ta Min stands next to the golden throne, as is Senge and Fire Sage Kaja.  The lead Fire Sage is going to crown me.  Calmly and serenely, I stride up to the throne and the crowd continues to cheer.  I take my seat, and Senge takes out the crown.  I recoil in horror.

The crown is covered in splotches of crimson red blood.  What's more, I know whose blood it is.  I remember the crown rolling out of Sozin's hair and to my feet.  I turned to Kaja and Senge and hiss, "Why didn't you clean the crown?  It's covered in blood!"

Fire Sage Kaja looks baffled.  He holds him up in the light, preparing to crown me.  "Don't work, sir, it looks clean to me."  I glance up at the crown.  It is a perfect gold, shining in the fire's light.  It must have been a trick of the light.

"All hail..."  I feel the crown sink into my hair.  "...Avatar Lord Roku!"  I roll my eyes.  Fire Nation regal code required that both of my titles be combined, but "Avatar Lord" sounded... wrong.  Maybe it was because the Avatar and Fire Lord should be separate.

No.  This is what the Fire Nation needs and I will do it.  I stand from the throne to frenzied cheers.  A new era of Fire Nation history is dawning.  I just hope that it's going to be a good era.

Magus1108
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2008 09:12 pm »

Great chapter, and I'm glad you finally updated this. Interesting, how Roku seemed to see blood on the crown first. Some sort of guilt for killing his friend? Or is craziness setting in? Anyways, it is too bad Zuko, Azula, and the rest of them won't be born. Oh well, it should still be interesting. Makes me wonder how this will affect the future of the Avatars, and, should something during Roku's reign go wrong, how future Avatars will be viewed. Can't wait for more.

I am ze Keeper of:

t-town
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008 07:32 am »

to good, to short!
I'd love to see how this will continue.
Froy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2008 08:20 am »

haha! I like that "Out damned spot!" moment (for the philistines out there, that's what Lady Macbeth says when she's washing her hands after she's killed King Duncan, but she can't seem to rid herself of the blood...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: