Oct 23, 2017 05:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle Arena - modified to allow Avatar vs. Non-Avatar Matchups  (Read 126025 times)
Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« on: Oct 15, 2006 09:05 pm »

Here you can match up two different characters (at least one from Avatar please) and have other members speculate/debate on who would win!

My first match up is Ty Lee vs. Mai.

I know that many people think Ty Lee would take the cake, but I'm not so sure. I got to thinking about it, and I think that a lot of people under estimate Mai. First, I think that Ty Lee would have trouble finding some of Mai's pressure points, due to how baggy her robes are. Not to mention, i've noticed that a lot of Mai's body is covered in weapon holders/weapons that cover some pressure points. Also, I think that if Mai would be able to keep Ty Lee at a good enough range, there wouldn't be any way for Ty Lee to land a hit.

I'm still deciding if that would be enough for Mai to win the battle though. Anyone else have any thoughts?

[Edited to allow matchups between Avatar and non-Avatar characters ~ Acastus]
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am by Acastus » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2006 09:26 pm »

i would not be surprised if mai pulled some katars on ty lee and shanked the sh*t outta her. i gotta agree

^Made in the Earth Kingdom

Keeper of Momo's dancing

HURRICANE RIPS THROUGH GRAVEYARD!!! THOUSANDS DEAD!!!
Ina Moramento
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2006 09:34 pm »

Mai has this "cold blooded killer that screws with people just for fun" aura.  Maybe that's just me... heh.  But really... my money is on Mai.  She'll skewer Ty Lee... and then go right back on being "bored".
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2006 10:16 pm by Ina Moramento » Logged

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:03 pm »

Mai has this "cold blooded killer that screws with people just for fun" aura.  Maybe that's just me... heh.  But really... my money is on Mai.  She's skewer Ty Lee. 

I agree with you completely. Mai scares me sometimes. Like, really scares me.

On another note, I have another match up for y'all.

Jet vs. Mai - Who would win?

P.S. - I bring up Mai far too much, sorry!

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2006 10:06 pm by Cardboardclub » Logged

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:13 pm »

P.S. - I bring up Mai far too much, sorry!

i love mai dont worry.

assuredly mai. jet just cant really stab with his swords, so if he got close enough to try to hook her, she would have already stabbed him or hit him with steeltoes or something

^Made in the Earth Kingdom

Keeper of Momo's dancing

HURRICANE RIPS THROUGH GRAVEYARD!!! THOUSANDS DEAD!!!
Ina Moramento
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:17 pm »

Jet is really good with his hooked sword thingies... but Mai would get him before he got close to touching her.  Plus... she's pretty agile... she could dodge his wild swings easily. 

Deadpool
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Rock ONNNNNN!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:17 pm »

Well, Jet is a close-range fighter, so a couple of knives would be thrown to put him off-balance, then Mai would come in for the kill. Jet hasn't shown himself clever enough to handle that.

I have only ever made one prayer in my life. A very short one: 'O Lord, please make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.-Voltaire
Ina Moramento
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:20 pm »

^ True... and after brainwashing... who knows.

Here's one...

KATARA v. AZULA

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:26 pm »

KATARA v. AZULA

Sheesh. Unless they were near some kind of large water source, Azula would take the cake. I have yet to see Katara come across as a major threat, unless she is surrounded by some form of H20. Though, if it were raining, Katara would kick a*s. I would love to see Nick show a battle scene with Katara while it was raining, that would make me so so happy.

Winner = Azula.

Ina Moramento
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:33 pm »

^ Very good point... her skills are good... but Azula has gone farther with her Firebending training than Katara.  Plus... I just thought about this (how stupid of me) that WATER CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY (lightning blasts = fried Katara) ... sorry Katara.

Hm... maybe when people put up pairings... they should also specificy the setting =D

Like...

Characters: Katara v. Toph
Setting: Mountain

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2006 10:37 pm »

Characters: Katara v. Toph
Setting: Mountain

Hahaha. Do I even have to answer?

I have a new one that, of course, includes Mai.

Mai vs. Azula
Setting: Forest with many large trees and fuzzy animals.

zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2006 11:16 pm »

As much as I love Mai I think Azula would win.  Since Azula uses lightning and fire projectiles she doesn't have the weakness the previous "vs Mai" competitors had.

How would Azula do it?  First she would light the whole forest on fire killing all the little animals.  Then she would lightning a tree so that it falls on top of Mai who is trapped and burns to death.

Now:
Zuko vs Mai
Setting Open Field

PS:  Love this thread.

Keeper of Sozin's Blue Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Blue Inner Dragon
Keeper of Zuko's Red Inner Dragon
Keeper of the Meadow Vole
Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2006 11:35 pm »

As much as I love Mai I think Azula would win.  Since Azula uses lightning and fire projectiles she doesn't have the weakness the previous "vs Mai" competitors had.

I thought that at first, too.
But then, I thought about how fast Azula can fire lightning vs. how fast Mai can dish out knives. Mai's knives can easily pierce through a fire blast, but not a lightning blast. Directly after Azula fired a blast of lightning, Mai would take advantage of Azula's mandatory recovery time, and throw a knife or some other unexpected projectile. Azula's powerful attacks take more time to recover from because they use more energy, while Mai doesn't use any chi during a battle. Besides, Mai has unbelievable accuracy, while Azula is still on a 'Burn EveryThang!" sort of mindset.

I may be a bit biased, but I think that Mai would win.  Grin

How would Azula do it?  First she would light the whole forest on fire killing all the little animals.  Then she would lightning a tree so that it falls on top of Mai who is trapped and burns to death.

Azula is such a super freak, seriously.

Now:
Zuko vs Mai
Setting Open Field

I'm thinking that Mai would win this battle (of course). If we forget the fact that Mai has a big crush on Zuko, she definitely has the upper hand. Mai is an expert at ranged combat, and keeping her enemy away from her. Zuko would exhaust himself trying to get close to her, and eventually run out of chi to continue his attacks. Then Mai would move in for the kill.

Though, I'm not sure. I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts.

PS:  Love this thread.

You rock.  Wink

Shubunk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2006 11:50 pm »

Zuko. Zuko is really good at hand to hand combat, and with his firebending i do not think that Mai has a shot.

Gyatso V Iroh
Open arena

I know you guys have not see Gyatso in action but you have seen that he killed A LOT of fire benders; but i know iroh is not just any fire bender sooo...
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2006 11:52 pm by Shubunk » Logged
Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2006 11:56 pm »

Zuko. Zuko is really good at hand to hand combat, and with his firebending i do not think that Mai has a shot.

Gyatso V Iroh
Open arena

I know you guys have not see Gyatso in action but you have seen that he killed A LOT of fire benders; but i know iroh is not just any fire bender sooo...

Woah woah woah. Let's not jump ship too quickly!

I think that the Zuko vs. Mai battle still has some life left to it.

Let me ask, why don't you think Mai has any chance of winning? Do you think Zuko would even be able to get close to Mai in a battle, considering that she has a slew of projectile weapons that can zing right through his fire blasts?

zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2006 11:59 pm »

I thought that at first, too.
But then, I thought about how fast Azula can fire lightning vs. how fast Mai can dish out knives. Mai's knives can easily pierce through a fire blast, but not a lightning blast. Directly after Azula fired a blast of lightning, Mai would take advantage of Azula's mandatory recovery time, and throw a knife or some other unexpected projectile. Azula's powerful attacks take more time to recover from because they use more energy, while Mai doesn't use any chi during a battle. Besides, Mai has unbelievable accuracy, while Azula is still on a 'Burn EveryThang!" sort of mindset.

I may be a bit biased, but I think that Mai would win.  Grin

No, I agree, this is a tough one to call.  One weakness Azula has is she would have a hard time blocking Mai's projectiles.  Maybe she could use her shin guards or arm guards but mostly she would have to dodge.  Like you mentioned fire would not stop those knives.  Other elements have an advantage over fire here because all other elements could either stop or redirect Mai's projectiles.

Mai does not use Chi (is this the Avatar equalent of MP?) but she does have a finite number of things to throw.

Plus its hard to imagine Mai being able to pin Azula to a tree.  Azula would see that coming.  So Mai could hit her a couple of times but she'd go on fighting anyway.  Unless Mai was lucky enough to get her in a vein or in an eye Azula would just be too hard to bring down.

Gyatso V Iroh
Open arena

Oh no!  This would be the ultimate bending battle.  Fire is more directly damaging, but air is an excellent defense against fire (you can use it to disperse the flames).  I really don't know.

Ina Moramento
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:01 am »

^ Zuzu couldn't handle Mai.  Mai will also have a lot of energy (PISSED!) once she finds out Zuko and Jin kissed!  Oopsie... Zuko, Zuko, Zuko... don't you know?

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED!

So Mai > Zuko.  

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:09 am »

No, I agree, this is a tough one to call.  One weakness Azula has is she would have a hard time blocking Mai's projectiles.  Maybe she could use her shin guards or arm guards but mostly she would have to dodge.  Like you mentioned fire would not stop those knives.  Other elements have an advantage over fire here because all other elements could either stop or redirect Mai's projectiles.

Mai does not use Chi (is this the Avatar equalent of MP?) but she does have a finite number of things to throw.

Plus its hard to imagine Mai being able to pin Azula to a tree.  Azula would see that coming.  So Mai could hit her a couple of times but she'd go on fighting anyway.  Unless Mai was lucky enough to get her in a vein or in an eye Azula would just be too hard to bring down.

I agree that, I too, can't see Azula being taken down all that easily. I think that is largely because we have never seen Azula get her as* kicked anytime during the series. Though, on the same note, we have never seen Mai involved in a battle that's lasted more than thirty seconds, during the series. I think that we will have to wait for the actual series to reveal the full extent of Mai's power, but until then I'm going to say that the battle would last for a very long time, leaving both fighters at a stalemate.

Sound good?

Crazy4Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:23 am »

In a battle between Gyatso and Iroh, I believe Gyatso would win. I suspect he could use his air bending to create a vacuum and snuff out all of Iroh's flame attacks. I don't know if a lightning blast would get through a vacuum (not sure if lightning needs oxygen), but if it could, Iroh may have a chance.

I also want to suggest another battle scenerio, this time with some rules in effect.

Combatants: Katara vs Azula, I know someone already set this up, but my version has some differences.

Setting: A wresting ring type area, like the ring used in Earth Rumble 6 in The Blind Bandit.

And Most important of all: No bending allowed, combatants must relly solely on their agility and reflexes. This battle would be set up by devine forces and the no bending rule be enforced by a "bending neutralizing field"

The winner would be the first comabatant to render her opponent unconcious or knock her out of the ring.

Keeper of Lord Momo's cape, Appa's New Saddle, & Aang's New Glider.
Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:27 am »

Combatants: Katara vs Azula, I know someone already set this up, but my version has some differences.

Setting: A wresting ring type area, like the ring used in Earth Rumble 6 in The Blind Bandit.

And Most important of all: No bending allowed, combatants must relly solely on their agility and reflexes. This battle would be set up by devine forces and the no bending rule be enforced by a "bending neutralizing field"

The winner would be the first comabatant to render her opponent unconcious or knock her out of the ring.

I don't see how there's anyway Azula could not win.
She's obviously very experienced in martial arts, while Katara...isn't.

Azula wins in my book. Sorry Katara!

Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A tiny plaid bender's worst nightmare.

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:29 am »

Sorry, but I'm going with Azula.  She just has too much power, and is too quick and agile.  If one or the other weren't true, Mai would have a chance.  Both of them can fight at long ranges. But all it would take would be one strong blast, and good-bye Mai.  Also, if they actually got into the trees, Azula's clothes would be much less restricting.

As for Mai v Zuko, I pick Zuko.  This isn't because I'm a Mai hater; I actually love Mai.  But Zuko has his firebending game AND his traditional combat/broadswords.  In other words, her game and his.  Mai has range, but Zuko has proven to be exceptionally agile, and able to knock arrows out of the air with his hands.  He can use fire blasts for range.  Not to mention, fields are typically flammable.

On the other hand, I don't think Mai ever uses a smidgen more power than she needs to to win...so we don't really know how powerful she is...I suspect Mai likes people (especially Azula) not knowing exactly how powerful she is or what she's thinking or feeling.  Her reservation is her main protection against Azula, since Azula uses people's loves, wants and fears against them.

Erm--does Katara know any form of fighting that isn't bending?
zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:34 am »

I agree that, I too, can't see Azula being taken down all that easily. I think that is largely because we have never seen Azula get her as* kicked anytime during the series. Though, on the same note, we have never seen Mai involved in a battle that's lasted more than thirty seconds, during the series. I think that we will have to wait for the actual series to reveal the full extent of Mai's power, but until then I'm going to say that the battle would last for a very long time, leaving both fighters at a stalemate.

Sound good?

Thats fine by me.  I don't think we all have to agree anyway.  Who knows, this very battle may happen someday!!  I really hope so because I would like to see a lot more of Mai, both fighting and character development wise.  As for battles, Mai is still very much an unknown quantity.

Also:  Zuko vs Mai.  I totally forget about Zuko's swords.  He can totally block Mai's attacks.  So I'm leaning towards Zuko.
As for Mai v Zuko, I pick Zuko.  This isn't because I'm a Mai hater; I actually love Mai.  But Zuko has his firebending game AND his traditional combat/broadswords.  In other words, her game and his.  Mai has range, but Zuko has proven to be exceptionally agile, and able to knock arrows out of the air with his hands.  He can use fire blasts for range.  Not to mention, fields are typically flammable.

On the other hand, I don't think Mai ever uses a smidgen more power than she needs to to win...so we don't really know how powerful she is...I suspect Mai likes people (especially Azula) not knowing exactly how powerful she is or what she's thinking or feeling.  Her reservation is her main protection against Azula, since Azula uses people's loves, wants and fears against them.

Thats exactly how i feel about Mai!

Azula hands down.  Why?  Look at episode 201: The Avatar State.  When Zuko realizes he's been betrayed he attacks Azula.  He is using fire this way and that but according to my memory Azula doesn't even use fire once that battle.  The only time she bends is for the lightning as the final strike.  She is amazingly trained in h2h combat.  Katara is not.

Phew... sorry people keep replying as I type.

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:41 am »

I've come to the conclusion that Mai needs her own episode, because now I want to know everything about her.

Anyway, now that we've pretty much concluded that Azula would kill Katara, let's move on.

New battle pair!

Joo Dee I vs. Joo Dee II

Iroh vs. Ty Lee

Setting: Battle Platform

zennyrpg
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ZennyRPG
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:50 am »

I've come to the conclusion that Mai needs her own episode, because now I want to know everything about her.

I know, me too!

Iroh vs. Ty Lee

Setting: Battle Platform

This is a hard one.  I see it two ways.

One.  Ty Lee draws the battle out and slowly wears Iroh down as she swoops in and paralyzes his limbs one by one.

Two.  Iroh grabs Ty Lee on her first move and crushes her like a frog catching a fly.

I think I'd go with two, because Iroh is so experienced.  Especially if he know what Ty Lee can do before hand.

Cardboardclub
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boom

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2006 12:54 am »

One.  Ty Lee draws the battle out and slowly wears Iroh down as she swoops in and paralyzes his limbs one by one.

Two.  Iroh grabs Ty Lee on her first move and crushes her like a frog catching a fly.

I think I'd go with two, because Iroh is so experienced.  Especially if he know what Ty Lee can do before hand.

Agreed! And now it's time for sleep.

Me vs. Trying to stay awake = I lose.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: