Nov 22, 2019 10:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 155 (61.3%)
9 - 56 (22.1%)
8 - 26 (10.3%)
7 - 10 (4%)
6 - 4 (1.6%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 1 (0.4%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 247

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [112] The Storm  (Read 30420 times)
CartoonJessie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutara Shipper

« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2007 04:45 pm »

To me, when I reached this episode, I really started getting *really* hooked after this one. Zuko's past makes him such a cool character. Learning about Aang's past was nice and insightful as well, though not as necessary to me as learning about how Zuko got that scar.

I also think it's nice how we get a first glimpse of Azula in this episode. The entire scene in which we see the beginning of the fire duel is so brilliant, the camera angles, the looks on Zuko's face, the way they do not yet reveal the face of Ozai to us. (Which I think is because they didn't want us to know Ozai would give Zuko the scar he has himself and was given by Azulan when he disrespected Azulan by saying he wanted to be the next heir to the throne instead of Iroh. The look kiddie-Azula gives when Azulan teaches her "daddy" a lesson is almost the same as the look she gives teen-Zuko when he's given his scar by daddy...

Ah well, just some things I noticed though they may not turn out to be right... That's why it's just a sort of theory...

But I really liked this episode. One of my favs ever and probably my favourite one from the first season along with "The Blue Spirit"

Happy Zutara Shipper
firegoddess
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

They are both so cute, It’s a family trait

« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2007 05:14 pm »

Loved the episode, I liked Zuko's past better then Aang because I am a fangirl of Zuko's. I knew Zuko was not all that evil, and this episode shows that I am right. That he cares about his men, and he dose not want anyone to get killed for no reason. When he was yelling at Lieutenant Jee that the mens safty was not important, all of that was a cover up because he dose care for them. Just last time he got burned by his own father. We see the good side of Zuko, and a glimps of what Zuko looked like before he got the scar, and I totally think he is hot with and without that scar. That he has changed in the past two years trying to find the Avatar, but that nice Zuko that wants to help his crew member is still there.

Did anyone notice this, that when Lieutenant Jee was talking to the crew that he was getting tired going after the Avatar, that Zuko was just a spoiled prince. Then when Iroh was telling them about what happen two years ago when Ozai gave Zuko that scar. They were surpried that Ozai gave him that scar, they thought it was a training accident. Dose that mean that not everyone knows what happen that day when he got burned and why he got punished. People know that Zuko was disowned by his father but do they know why? What do you think?
ChildeAtHeart
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

So many mistakes made, no way to fix them.

« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2007 02:05 am »

I didn't catch this episode when it originally aired (I had to watch a re-run). But, when I first laid eyes on Zuko, before I even had any clue of what the show was about, the scar told me that this was not going to be a regular, boring bad guy. The scar was too obvious to not have some big history or sob story behind it.

And then I saw this episode.

It was excellent. It really helped show that Zuko was indeed a human, and not some soulless killing machine. (That would be his father...)

Not to ignore Aang, of course. The backstory they gave in this episode really helped show that Aang hadn't just led a carefree life, and it really showed that he is indeed a little kid. He couldn't handle what was going on, and did the only thing he could think of doing- run away. It was a mistake, but what can you expect of a twelve year old? I definitely enjoyed this episode.

Keeper Of: Zuko's Hideous Parted Hair, Katara Touching Zuko's Scar, and Ty Luko.
Vexx
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Have an Avatar Day.

« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2007 04:14 pm »

I enjoyed this episode a lot. It helped me understand Aang's and Zuko's past.

Sig by Tongone
Keeper of: Sokka's "Take that, you rock," Sokka's watchtower,
Iroh's "Four Seasons" song, and Iroh's spilt tea
diet otaku
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2007 01:32 pm »

What kind of jerk fries his own son's face like that & sends him after banishment on an impossible mission (until they found out the Avatar did return for real) to regain his honor? ***hole...
the kind that doesn't like his son and thinks he's weak and wants him gone. ozai considers azula a much more suitable heir, which is why azula knew things about military strategy and history that zuko didn't - ozai had been grooming her.

...which sounds REALLY perverted put like that. XO

anyway, this is probably one of my favorite episodes. i knew from the start that zuko wouldn't be the true threat, because he was too easily foiled. in half an hour he got beaned in the back of the head by a boomerang, knocked over by aang on a penguin, beat up by aang, thrown overboard, and knocked in the head by sokka. to say nothing of the avalanche that aang caused that swallowed their ship. so yeah, this episode just confirmed what i already suspected - zuko's really good at heart, just misguided. i think this episode also contributed to the swarm of fangirls, considering how impossibly hot he was before he was burned and shaved his head. Wink

if you drew this, tell me so i can credit you! everything else by orepookpook

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBADGERTOAD
ZukoAlone360
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Avatar Legacy

« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2007 10:19 pm »

Finally, a history give away. Excellent. I loved the stry's of how zuko was banished, and aang ran away. Very good stories to tell!

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #31 on: Apr 01, 2007 03:34 pm »

861 DVD screenshots have now been posted on the mainsite for this episode. Enjoy!
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #32 on: Apr 01, 2007 04:26 pm »

Zuko has a different personality before and after he got the scar. After he got the scar, he was more cold and hard to get close to, very distant from everyone around him. Before he got the scar he wasn't so angry.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
bluefairy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2007 01:05 am »

I really liked the juxtaposition between Zuko and Aang's past. This was basically the first time we could see that they weren't really as different as everybody thought. There is a lot of contrast between the two stories, but they're very similar as well. They were both cast out of their homes and comfort zones into a completely new environment that they weren't familiar with. They both went through a lot in a short time (or a short amount of conscious time in Aang's case). This is definitely one of my favorite episodes.

Keeper of Aang's Tsungi horn, Aang's "PENGUIN!!" and Foofoocuddlypoops' mother.
nuitsansetoiles
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Apr 05, 2007 01:09 pm »

When I first watched this episode, all I could think about was how interesting it was, and it really was interesting. I specifically like how they added depth to both Zuko and Aang's characters, but it was much more significant for Zuko's later character development in S2. Because Zuko had always been portrayed as the villain in the series, this episode made him HUMAN, and thus, much more believable. All in all, only recently have I realized how great this episode was, and it really got me hooked on the show. After all, how many cartoons aimed at a young audience actually care about enhacing the complexity of their show and providing gray areas and ambiguities for their antagonists? This was after I stopped watching Nick and just somehow stumbled upon Avatar.

soybrains
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

soybean+connie
« Reply #35 on: Apr 08, 2007 08:43 pm »

i thought this episode was pretty emotional. flashbacks are always awesome.
Toph Norris
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Weeee!

« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2007 02:19 am »

This was the first episode of Avatar that I watched and remembered; it got me really hooked on the show after that. Even though I was confused after watching the beginning of the series, I finally figured it out (after many hours of... umm... research :]) and I thought it was pretty neat story develpment when they made everyone wait twelve episodes before finding out all that history about Zuko and Aang. It gave both characters so much more depth and dimension. It's probably why Zuko's been my favorite character since I've started watching the show, too.
luthien
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Apr 12, 2007 07:36 am »

This episode is so essential to the show and so well-done that if I was asked to convert someone over to "Avatar" by just showing them three episodes, this would be one of them. Wink  The parallels between Aang and Zuko are nicely drawn, and we really get to see that being the Avatar isn't as cool as it would seem to be - that Aang really has a huge weight to bear on his young shoulders.  Additionally we learn that Zuko's banishment isn't the result of screwing up, but of actually standing up for what was right and just.  Two things that really hit me in the gut are the look on Aang's face when he overhears the monks talking about sending him away, and the sound of Zuko's scream at the end of the Agni Kai.  We don't see what happens, but the scream is enough to give me an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach.  And it does that to me every time I watch this episode.
Psylum
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

No icon at the moment.

« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2007 07:55 am »

This Episode showed that deep down Zuko  could be a great and just leader of his people, Hopefully in season 3 will see him take the right steps to do so.

"But whatever, people see what they want to see."
FRozenTacoGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

mfw korra

« Reply #39 on: Apr 22, 2007 08:36 pm »

In my Top 10 episodes list. 
I'd only seen like 10 episodes of Avatar, the second season, and I knew I loved it.  Cheesy  My mom bought me the first season DVD box set ($40) before I even saw the whole season 2.  I watched the rest of Season 2 on TurboNick, and saw the first airing of The Crossroads of Destiny on Nick.  Then, of course, I had to wait to see what happened in the first season, since my mom wouldn't let me have it until Christmas. 
I almost cried at the agni kai scene.  Diet Otaku, I actually think Zuko was ugly before he got burned.  :O 

zukosass.tumblr.com
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2007 03:05 pm »

You know the general that suggest they sacrifice the inexperienced division, which Zuko objected to, he is the same guy that plays Jeong Jeong, but he also plays Lao Shi, Jake Long's mentor and grampa (Jake's version of Iroh) on American Dragon: Jake Long, Kind of ironic, he plays an important role in Zuko's life. Since both characters are played by Dante Basco.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
KataraTheWaterbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Apr 23, 2007 07:00 pm »

This episode was very good. I loved seeing Aang and Zuko's past. I still can't believe that his own father would do that to him, and I am still as shocked as Zuko was when he sees that is is his father he has to duel. Seeing Aang's past was so sad too, that he was going to be taken away from Gyatso.

This episode is so essential to the show and so well-done that if I was asked to convert someone over to "Avatar" by just showing them three episodes, this would be one of them. Wink

I agree. This is a great episode to use if you were trying to get someone into liking Avatar or to use as a first episode to see. Wink

Keeper of Aang's love for Katara, Katara's beauty, Maiko, and Azula's possible redemption
Roku851
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Got Venom? WE do.

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007 06:29 am »

This episode really is one of the best.  It opens your eyes to the past of Zuko and Aang and it helps you understand what pains they've been through.

AWSOME sig by Katara360

KING OF THE OFF TOPIC THREAD.

"Don't tell GOD how big the storm is, tell the storm how big GOD is."-Dennis Paulson
Waking _Dreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2007 11:30 pm »

Just re-watched this ep recently. I forgot how good this one was. Before this episode i thought of Zuko as simply as the "bad guy" wanting to defeat Aang because he was the "good guy." However these flashbacks really gave both characters an extra dimension. It shows that Aang is also just a person who can make mistakes, while Zuko is a person shaped by his past and does the thing he doses not because hes evil, but because hes simply trying to regain something important he lost.   

Amagoi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2007 01:37 pm »

And Ambigous Flashbacky Goodness.  Excactly who are these people supposed to be?  One of them is a young Zuko (as the next frames show) but the others?  Iroh and Lu Ten?  Ozai and Azula? 

I was just about to ask this same question, as it just came to mind. I think that may be Zuko and Azula being watched by their mother Ursa. From what we've seen of Lu Ten (which sadly was just a flashback of Iroh's in Bitter Work and Lu Ten's death portrait) he always had short hair, and when he was younger a short top-knot.

I also noticed that maybe the child on the left is Zuko and the one on the right is Azula, the hair looks a little like Azula's in Zuko Alone. If I'm right and that is Azula, that might be interesting in Season 3. Because then we would find out a little bit more about their relationship and possibly see a time when the two got along.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #45 on: Jul 27, 2007 05:10 pm »

I think that may be Zuko and Azula being watched by their mother Ursa.

It can't be Ursa. The adult figure has a beard. It must be either Iroh or Ozai.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Amagoi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jul 28, 2007 01:14 am »

Hm.. I thought it was just Ursa's hair going over her shoulder. But I guess it could be Ozai or Iroh.

Edit: Just watched "Bitter Work" again and noticed that Iroh has a short beard in the flashback, pretty much the same size as how he had it in Book 1. The beard/goatee in the flashback looks a little bigger so it may actually be Ozai. That's even more curious because if that's true, might Ozai actually have a soft side?  Shocked

Yes.. I'm aware I'm paying far too much attention to the details.  :'(
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2007 10:01 am by Amagoi » Logged
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jul 28, 2007 02:08 pm »

Why haven't I talked about this episode???
The Storm, was in my opinion, one of the best animated episodes for the entire series. This was like one of the first (if not the first) episodes where we see the similarities between Zuko and Aang. It was nice to see a good side to Zuko, after being portrayed as an antagonist for the most part of the first season. We went deep into Zuko and Aang's past, but not revealing too much information, which was wise...
Kitsune Keirube
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Cunning. Like the Fox.

« Reply #48 on: Jul 28, 2007 02:17 pm »

Hm.. I thought it was just Ursa's hair going over her shoulder. But I guess it could be Ozai or Iroh.

Edit: Just watched "Bitter Work" again and noticed that Iroh has a short beard in the flashback, pretty much the same size as how he had it in Book 1. The beard/goatee in the flashback looks a little bigger so it may actually be Ozai. That's even more curious because if that's true, might Ozai actually have a soft side?  Shocked

Yes.. I'm aware I'm paying far too much attention to the details.  :'(

I believe that it was Ozai. (Had to be, why else would Zuko believe that his father cares for him.)  The reason why Ozai seems so cold is because he has a lust for power.  He sees that Zuko is weak and that he do not have a craving for power, which is why he banished him. (I believe to test him.)

Itachi from the Naruto series killed his clan just so he could test his powers, however he left Sasuke alive.  Whether or not he left Sasuke alive because he felt sorry for him is up for debate, but I think this is similar to how Ozai feels toward his son.
Kumani
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Never forget who you are.

« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2007 08:37 am »

awesome episode!! this was special because we finally got to see the past of the characters and get to know their story more, i really enjoyed it
this is also the first time we see iroh do something with lighting, and the first time we see azula, they show her very well and for that same reason it kinda showed that she was gonna be an important character, i knew it!
i also dont liked to see aang so sad, it makes me sad Sad
but it was just a very cool episode!!!!

They’re gonna rip up your heads and your aspirations to shreds, another cog in the murder machine
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: