Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 155 (61.3%)
9 - 56 (22.1%)
8 - 26 (10.3%)
7 - 10 (4%)
6 - 4 (1.6%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 1 (0.4%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 247

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [112] The Storm  (Read 24343 times)
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #125 on: Feb 24, 2011 06:44 pm »

Yeah I just discovered it recently. I didn't really mean to. I was up late on Friday and I couldn't find ANYTHING on TV. So flipped it on to Nicktoons and "The Puppetmaster" was playing, it was definitely a good find because The Puppetmaster is another one of the best episodes in the series and I actually told myself to give the show a chance.

I then spent my long weekend on an Avatar binge.

I almost regret it... because it was over so quickly -_-

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #126 on: Feb 24, 2011 06:45 pm »

I almost regret it... because it was over so quickly -_-

That's why you come here. Well...that's why I did anyway Tongue
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #127 on: Feb 24, 2011 06:49 pm »

Haha, yeah. I couldn't wait to share all my thoughts.. but I had to wait FOREVER for my account to be approved. So by the time I got here I had cooled down.

I actually almost went crazy... for several days after my Avatar-thon I couldn't get the show out of my head.

And now a month later I'm slowly working my way through again, though I really don't want to spoil the story by watching it too much too close together. Its a nasty catch-22

---

But on topic, a great episode. Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 07:39 pm by newavatarfan » Logged

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #128 on: Feb 26, 2011 08:47 am »

This is one of the best episodes of Book 1 in my opinion.  It managed to tell a complex story beyond the show's usual scope.

Citation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Die Flügel der Freiheit

« Reply #129 on: Feb 27, 2011 03:48 pm »

This was probably my favorite episode in the first season. It gave us some of Zuko's and Aang's backstory, and backstory is something that I always appreciate. Cheesy

Ozai's Angels FTW!
Look at me still talking when there's science to do...
QUEEN OF THE GIBBERISH KINGDOM AND VICE PRESIDENT OF THE AZULON
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #130 on: Apr 08, 2011 06:55 pm »

Epic flashback episode! Possibly on my top 10 episodes of the series. Easily the second best episode of Book 1.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
CompletelyDifferent
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #131 on: Apr 17, 2011 07:39 pm »

Definitely one of my favourites from the show, as well. A good dose of backstory is always appreciated.

Nikoagonistes
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #132 on: Aug 08, 2011 08:40 pm »

I watched the episode recently, and I noticed something about where the unit markers were moved in the war room:

The general isn't just planning to sacrifice the 41st, he's expecting them to plow through Ba Sing Se! Cheesy

I support fake fandoms.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #133 on: Aug 08, 2011 08:49 pm »

Huh, so I was right, the leaders were even bigger idiots than I thought.  Also...I just realized something.  Everyone is kneeling on their knees for what I assume to be something that's at least an hour long.  Doesn't that really hurt your knees after a while?  I remember mine getting numb after like, 10 minutes when I kneeled.
Atticus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Aug 10, 2011 06:37 pm »

I watched the episode recently, and I noticed something about where the unit markers were moved in the war room:

The general isn't just planning to sacrifice the 41st, he's expecting them to plow through Ba Sing Se! Cheesy
ahahah good eye:P

Aang, Iroh, Mako, and Lin FTW!
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #135 on: Sep 26, 2011 02:40 am »

Ep. 111 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Has it been a while...indeed it has.  This mean I'll get back to something resembling a proper review schedule...hell no! Tongue

Re-watching this landmark episode, I noticed a lot of things I didn't before that really marked this ep as something extra-special.  You could tell this chapter in particular really meant something to the people involved even before we got to the flashbacks.  The initial confrontation between Zuko and his lieutenant in particular was impressive on many counts as well as a perfect example of the expert sense of reality the creators had with their world building.

See, the thing of it is that if Avatar were your basic standard animated adventure fare, Zuko's crew would be a creation of function - to not be seen or heard beyond the necessity to indicate that he has one for his ship - and nothing else.  Avatar goes the practically revolutionary route of humanizing it's background characters and acknowledging that the so called 'extras' are real people who go about their own lives, even if this story isn't focused on them.  Specifically with regards to Zuko's crew, the tone the lieutenant takes with Zuko goes a long way to indicate a story between the two that, though we didn't see it, definitely took place.  However it's with Iroh that this connection is most apparent, where he is shown constantly interacting with the crew in a manner having nothing to do with his overall role in the story, such as whupping a few at pai sho in an earlier episode or during music night shown later in the season.  All done in service to characters who literally have no influence in the story at all except this one episode and even then, they're a plot device.

There's plenty else to to laud in this one scene as well, from Mako's exquisite delivery of the lines that help diffuse the situation, to the subtlety of the animation as Zuko walks away:

His slightly off-balance gait shows that the encounter has clearly shaken him, alluding to how at odds his self-image of an uncompromising warrior is with the compassion that truly defines him as we see later.

But enough serious, it's time to get introduced to crazy old coot #58!

It's well known fact that the sub-species Crazius Cootus do not acknowledge personal space.

He and Sokka make a damn good duo and though short lived, they have one bit of dialogue between 'em that will last the ages...y'all know what I'm talking about. Wink  I took quite a liking to this guy when I first saw this episode, as I wasn't sure yet if the creators would be willing to point out that Aang had basically been shirking his duties for the past 100 years and the world went to hell as a result.  When he gruffly pointed out that elephant in the room, I was won over!

What happens after this no doubt has already been elaborated on numerous times.  The show goes through it's hefty second act infodump flashbacks before ending in a relatively mediocre third act finale and there's not much more to be said of it other than to note just how important Mako was to this episode.  Simply put, despite what we know happens, the impact just wouldn't have been as...well impactful without his somber and powerful voice to back it all up or Aang's for that matter.  Really, Zach Tyler does not get enough props for the work he did in this series.  He was a kid that was asked to do a whole lot more than most kid VA's are asked of for children's television and his delivery in this ep showed he had chops to pull it off.  Here's to ya!

That reminds me, since Aang's flash back takes place in the Air Temple, it means we get more of that beautiful instrumental work from the Track Teams Mr. Zuckerman.  In this instance, it's a shorty but playful flute melody.  Oh and we also get a cameo of Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown universe.

Mentioning it now honor-bounds me to draw Snoopy as a Sky Bison.

So yeah, this was one hell of a episode and well deserved as a landmark in the series.  It was certainly high grade material up to this point, but from here on out, you knew the creators were playing for keeps.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011 02:44 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #136 on: Oct 01, 2011 01:56 am »

I've always particularly liked the character of Jee in this episode. When you have main characters with such...large aims, its refreshing to have a character whose only concerns and motivations are his working conditions and what is immediately an issue to him. He seemed very real.

Yeah Zach's impressive. I really don't think the kid missed a beat to be honest.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2011 05:30 pm »

Yeah Zach's impressive. I really don't think the kid missed a beat to be honest.

Well, his delivery of his last angry outburst in "Great Divide" was a little lacking in emotion, but, that was such a bad episode that I'd hardly fault him for it.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2011 05:36 pm »

Well he picked the right episode to have an off day then Tongue
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #139 on: Oct 03, 2011 01:01 pm »

I'll say.  It wasn't even an off day really, it was just on that one specific spot, he lacked a bit in emotion.  He's done a fantastic job throughout, and for all we know, the voice direction could've been unusually bad to.  Everything else was after all.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #140 on: Sep 26, 2013 11:48 pm »

Is anyone reading these comments of mine?  I'm like the only one posting in these threads now, lol.

Anyway, The Storm.  Wow, what an episode, huh?  I love that the show takes the time out to do something that technically doesn't advance the plot, but is very important to the series because it shows us where the characters are coming from emotionally, which not only connects us with them, but them with each other.  It shows the parallel lives between Aang and Zuko, but more than that, it showed different sides of each that complement each other in a very powerful way. 

Both of them are facing something of a moral turning point where they're put into a particular position, and what they do when placed in that position has consequences that they feel they need to own up to in some way.  With Aang, it's finding out he's the Avatar, that basically his childhood is over, and he has the burden of saving the world on his shoulders.  With Zuko, it's being invited into the chambers of Ozai's war room, and basically upstaging the generals present and standing up for what he thinks is right, and that is not setting up fire nation soldiers as bait to be slaughtered.

Whereas Aang has his greatest regret in running away, understandable in that situation, it seems like Zuko has his greatest regret in standing his ground against his father.  Such an interesting parallel, Aang is scared and saddened about the idea of being the Avatar, but Zuko wanted to live up to his father, wanted the approval and attention from him, but was ultimately denied.  And Aang goes into self imposed exile, while Zuko is banished by his father with a painful reminder of what happened.  Both are dealing with the baggage of the choices they've made, and they deal with it in very different ways, whether it's Zuko's single minded focus or Aang's trying to make things right in the future.

Man, these two really are a product of their upbrigning.  How different would Zuko be if he wasn't born into being Ozai's son?  His innate sense of honor has been crushed and spat on and buried just by the mere fact of being born into that kind of structure where it seems like any sense of mercy or honor is a sign of weakness. 
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #141 on: Sep 27, 2013 09:27 pm »

Man, these two really are a product of their upbrigning.  How different would Zuko be if he wasn't born into being Ozai's son?

This is why I was never able to get into Reconstructed Destinies, despite it being a fandom favorite. Aside from Aang being a Gary Stu and the writing being pedestrian, I can't imagine Aang and Zuko being the same people with their canon histories.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #142 on: Sep 28, 2013 08:43 pm »

Is anyone reading these comments of mine?  I'm like the only one posting in these threads now, lol.

Anyway, The Storm.

I'm reading them. Nice post.

The Storm is one of my favourite episodes, but the contrast in regret/desire between Aang and Zuko is something I hadn't even thought about.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #143 on: Sep 29, 2013 05:49 am »

I've been reading them too. I just don't have a lot to say about these episodes any more I guess. This one's fantastic though, one of my favourite episodes of anything ever.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #144 on: Sep 29, 2013 08:19 am »

Well I guess it figures, since I'm 5-8 years late to the Avatar party.  Still, it's nice to have some confirmation that I'm not just talking to myself here.Cheesy

Anyway, I'm not sure how much there would be to gleam from switching Aang and Zuko's destinies, since Zuko is so tied into the environment he was brought up in.  Even ignoring the issues with his father I can't imagine him being the super serious, prideful guy he is whole being raised among the Air Nomads.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #145 on: Sep 29, 2013 08:24 am »

Yeah, I was totally late to this party and I joined over three years ago Cheesy
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #146 on: Sep 29, 2013 05:50 pm »

^^I've been stalking your posts since there isn't much else to do here, so you haven't been talking to yourself.

One of the things that I did like about this episode is that it taught me you can deliver not one, but two tight and fulfilling flashbacks in just a single episode. Naruto and Bleach had me thinking you needed a whole season to do that. Tongue
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #147 on: Dec 18, 2013 02:43 pm »

As we already know, Fire Lord Ozai burned the left side of Zuko's face for not fighting him. Despite Zuko's good fire bending skills, he refused to fight Ozai, his father. Ozai saw this as I sign of weakness. What I want to discuss is why Zuko sat there and let himself get burned. Even though Ozai was significantly stronger than him, he could of at least deflected or dodged the attack. He did not have to fight. Although, it would of been quite difficult to dodge a fire attack from close range. Zuko never really had to fight his father. He could of just kept dodging Ozai or pretend to lose the fight, so that the fight could be concluded. Although, I think that there is a high possibly Ozai would of still burned Zuko's face had Zuko of faught him. It can also argued that Ozai would of been less harsh, as he would of found Zuko's bravery as admirable. The only major difference in outcome, would be that Ozai would not have banished Zuko, as a consequence of not fighting him.

It seems to me that the battle field was unusually small, for a firebending dual. Long in length but very narrow. Had fought Ozai, his only option would have been to go through him. It also appeares that the arena has a sort of knock area, implying that, whomever should be knock out wins.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013 03:04 pm by AvatarReiko » Logged

Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #148 on: Dec 18, 2013 04:11 pm »

I don't think this was a good place to post this. But maybe Zuko did try to block it, but failed.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Dec 18, 2013 04:34 pm »

I don't think this was a good place to post this. But maybe Zuko did try to block it, but failed.

Yh, I kno. It was an accident. I was meant to post it in the ATLA section. I've asked the admins to move it.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: