Apr 30, 2017 10:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 56 (24.9%)
9 - 53 (23.6%)
8 - 41 (18.2%)
7 - 32 (14.2%)
6 - 20 (8.9%)
5 - 8 (3.6%)
4 - 4 (1.8%)
3 - 1 (0.4%)
2 - 4 (1.8%)
1 - 6 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 215

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [204] The Swamp  (Read 26013 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2006 09:23 pm »

Then there was Zuko. I hope that, off camera, he cut the Iroh-abuser bastard's head off and burned it to ashes, that's certainly what he looked like he was going to do.

I go back and forth on that whole situation. On the one hand, my first reaction was to refer to the Broadsword Man (the Iroh-abuser's name in the credits) as the Sadistic Almsgiver, and I hated him for treating Iroh that way. On the other hand, he did give a gold piece for about a minute of hopping up and down and singing. Judging by Iroh's expression, he truly meant it when he said, "What a kind man!" Anyway, while the guy's hardly a model citizen, I'm not sure he's a black hearted villain either.
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2006 10:02 pm »

• Not all waterbenders live in the poles. Of all of these, I think that this one is the most interesting because it raises so many questions. Who taught the swampies waterbending? The moon? Some other spirit? Are they originally from one of the poles? Are they more ancient than the poles? How do they know about the Avatar, if they are so secluded?
This is interesting for me as well, because it raises the posibility that the other nations have benders who are off the radar, so to speak. Maybe Aang will find other airbenders. Maybe there are firebenders who aren't part of the warring faction.

The girl that Aang saw in the swamp is interesting as well. It seems like they are setting something up with that. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.[/list]

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Smartguy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2006 11:17 pm »

Oh my gosh! I just accidentally voted a two for it thinking one was the best! Aw, man! That vote for two is me. I actually think it's a nine.

Aang, the Avatar, is an Airbender.
Dai The Earth Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

guatebelle525 oxcat525
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2006 11:27 pm »

First Post!

Ya, I agree with you on the benders off the radar. About the little girl though, I am thinking she must be a airbender who survived the fire nation raids. Maybe she's hiding out with sort of a lost tribe of airbenders. Or even better, she might be some long lost relative of Aang's! The possibilities are endless! It's going to be fun trying to figure out where the writers are going to take that.
 Huh Smiley
Bleeding_Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

by: neitherday

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2006 11:36 pm »

I liked this episode. Had a little of everything. Like most Avatar epi's it had the right mix of emotion which made it worth while.

My personal favorites on the other hand would have to be the Blue Spirit scene... wow... that was genius. My thoughts are similar to most of yours I think he'll be something of a vigallante now, maybe. It'd be an interesting twist to the series. And yes, I've come to grips that it's going to take a long while for Zuko to get over his ego/pride.

I also liked the part where the gang saw their visions. It was sad and sweet at the same time. I really liked how it was done as well. Katara's eyes swelling up with tears of joy, only to be ripped apart again. It was really heart wrenching. I also liked the whole bit with Sokka and his Yue vision. That was adorable, and the bit where he said that he thought about her all the time... yay! (Sokkue shippers rejoice...)

I loved the bit with the 'connection' bit. That was cute. It made you think though, it doesn't really just apply to the Avtar world... it can apply to us as well.

Well, there weren't very many bits that I didn't like. Probably the dim witted red neck people. They were good for a laugh, but... got kinda old really fast. Course, I adjust really fast so that wasn't too irksome.

Well, all in all I give this episode a nine, it rocked!

(By the way... how did Zuko get his mask back? ... there was that mask cart passing by... did he knick it, or did he take it with him when he fled?)

EDIT: Actually I think I read somewhere he got it from that vendor. If you look closely they are selling his mask, he may have bought it w/ the money they made.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006 07:24 pm by Bleeding_Aurora » Logged

"Writer's block is like a bicyclist breaking his legs, eventually he'll get to ride again, but not when he really wants to."

Icon From: Digik Designs
Swamp Dweller
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Toph, you rule.

« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2006 11:51 pm »

Anyway, while the guy's hardly a model citizen, I'm not sure he's a black hearted villain either.

Oh, I would have had no problem with him if he was a black hearted villain. He would have at least have a reason for acting the way he did, however immoral this reason may be. Broadsword Man, however, or at least that's the impression I got, is a normal citizen of the Earth Kingdom who probably has a family and more money than he needs (Hence his "generosity") and likes to make fun of "lesser" people like those starving beggars in the corner, for the sole reason of being a jerk.

Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail? --Ancient Irohnian proverb
Shinobi Kenshin X
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2006 02:22 am »

Wait, did I miss something, or did that one guy who was protecting the swamp able to earthbend and waterbend?  I really don't think he was manipulating the water in the plants to make them move; it really seemed like he was doing a different type of earthbending.  I could be wrong, though.  If I am right, then he proves that there is multibenders in the world of Avatar.

Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #32 on: Apr 15, 2006 07:54 am »

Broadsword Man, however, or at least that's the impression I got, is a normal citizen of the Earth Kingdom who probably has a family and more money than he needs (Hence his "generosity") and likes to make fun of "lesser" people like those starving beggars in the corner, for the sole reason of being a jerk.

Yeh, that's a fair assessment. I suppose I find Iroh's reaction all the more interesting for that, though. His reaction wasn't, "man, that guy was a jerk!" His reaction was, "What a nice man!" I'm not sure what to make of that.

Wait, did I miss something, or did that one guy who was protecting the swamp able to earthbend and waterbend?  I really don't think he was manipulating the water in the plants to make them move...[snip]

He is bending the water in the plants. Here's the quote from Act III of the transcript for The Swamp.

Sokka: That's Avatar stuff, that doesn't count. (To Hue) The only thing I can't figure out is how you made that tornado that sucked us down.
Hue: I can't do anything like that. I just bender the water in the plants.

Unless you can produce compelling evidence to the contrary, Hue's explanation should be taken at face value. There is really no point in second-guessing the creators. The rest of the audience (Katara, Sokka, et al.) took Hue at his word and didn't even bat an eyelash at this pronouncement. The only multibender we know of so far is the Avatar.
FoxSpirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~Soul Reaper~

« Reply #33 on: Apr 15, 2006 09:59 am »

This episode was really good,but it was kind of weird that the guy who was in that vine monster uses his water bending to control the plants! I also have to admit that that is really cool and tricky.
xlegend34
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

PROUD Keeper of Kataang, and the Soldier Boy Song

arman12 sharpiesrawesome42
« Reply #34 on: Apr 15, 2006 11:20 am »

i say i enjoyed this episode alot, the man who was manipulating the water in the vines was a littl odd, but it just shows how many things waterbenders can do, and i especially like when they showed zuko in the blue spirit oufit again, wonder what happened to the broadsword man......
well all in all it was a pretty good episode, that little girl was a little freaky, i couldnt stand her laugh, and it might just be me, but i swear i remember her from the last season o well, loved the episode

Leaves from the vine, falling so slow.
Like fragile, tiny shells,
Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home.
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.
R.I.P. Mako
Savitri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Apr 15, 2006 12:25 pm »

This episode is kind of a mixed bag for me.  I really enjoyed all the Appa and Momo scenes.  Poor Appa!  He gets stuck undergournd in The Cave of Two Lovers and then he gets caught in this swamp.  When the Swamp entangled him in its vines for the second time, my heart broke for him!  Season 2 is tough on our fluffy snot monster!

I had a lot of trouble with the hick stereotype for the swamp dwellers.  (I am glad though that there are other pockets of water benders and that we now know that they can control water even if it is inside a living thing.)  I thought it was unnecessary and extremely distracting.  The hick version of Buddha also got on my nerves.  Since we had the hippie stereotype in The Cave of Two Lovers and now this, I am wondering who or what will be next?  I also wonder why the writers use these in the first place?

Did anyone find it strange that Sokka was the only one of the three to have a negative aspect to his vision?  Yue accuses him of not being able to protect her.  Given the circumstances under which she became the Moon Spirit, I thought that was particularly harsh.  Posibilities for this include the fact that Sokka is in general more negative than either Aang or Katara and/or Sokka reproaches himself with just this failure and that is why it manifested in his swamp vision.

The episode does leave one rather important question unanswered, who created the tornado that sucked Anng & Co into the Swamp in the first place?  The swamp dwellers and the hick Buddha guy tell Aang that they did not do it.  Did the Swamp/Tree itself create the tornado?  Does this hint that other living things besides humans and animals (badger moles) are able to bend? 

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2006 12:27 pm by Savitri » Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here.  I'm mad.  You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
 - Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #36 on: Apr 15, 2006 04:03 pm »

not really bad, actually I have a theory for the blue sprit that I might as well post here...

we saw the return of the blue spirit, and last time it was Zuko... but what if its someone different this time?
What if we have another blue spirit in our midsts?
Someone who started the legacy, someone who started the legend of the blue spirt long before Zuko's appearance as the blue spirit?
now here's the thing, before Zuko had his ship, before Zuko had places where he could hide his secret, but now he has no ship and he really cant hide his secret from his uncle very well as he is never far from him.
Sure it makes sense that Zuko might have stolen a mask from that mask vendor, and went off to find the man that provoked his uncle... but is it really Zuko this round?
I have a new suspect that might be helping Zuko behind the scenes, perhaps the original blue spirit itself... Song

Yes you heard me, Song.
Think on it, Song might have left her village to find Zuko, Song might be hiding bad feelings for the firenation as they did hurt her, and she might have actually witnessed what happened between that man and Iroh and wanted to do something about it as she liked Zuko.

concidering that the blue spirit is rather thin does eliminate Iroh as a possible suspect
Right now I do have two prime suspects for the new blue spirit:
Zuko
and Song

season one had Zuko as the blue spirit, but perhaps this time it is someone else and one name that comes into mind is Song.
but there are other even MORE insane suspects:

Azula
Ty Lee (??)
Mai (Huh)
Zhao (I KNOW, hes supposed to be DEAD!)

the logical ones are both Zuko, and Song, but the thing is what if Song's innocent act was just that... an act.
But there is another suspect on the alternate list that might point out some logic:
Mei

Mei, as we know is good with daggers, arrows, and shuriken... but she might have some swordsmanship too.
we got hints that Mei did have some liking for Zuko, and maybe it was her as the blue spirit.
but I am thinking too far of course ^.^;;

Man this is why I like avatar, you can come up with some realy crazy stuff as its a toon that makes you THINK.

But still my Song theory feels the best, sure its probably going to be Zuko in the end, but I would love to see how he can hide away a black outfit, a large mask and a pair of broadswords from his uncle...

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Karen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

karenthegroomer@yahoo.ca
« Reply #37 on: Apr 15, 2006 04:58 pm »

Smiley Wow! Those are interesting ideas!. I too am wondering if The Blue Spirit we see in this episode is actually Zuko, or if there is more then one Blue Spirit out there... Huh

firenze2000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Apr 16, 2006 06:50 pm »

Smiley Wow! Those are interesting ideas!. I too am wondering if The Blue Spirit we see in this episode is actually Zuko, or if there is more then one Blue Spirit out there... Huh

Actually it would be a very interesting twist if there was another Blue spirit that someone stole it away from our Zuko but i'd rather have our Zuko as the Blue spirit =D
Siddharta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2006 06:55 pm »

Hey! i think i jst saw the mask of the blue spirit in the car that pass by when the episode start, the first scene in the town seconds before they show suko and the uncle..... a car with a lot of masks in the second group of masks the one on the top is the one i´m talking about. Very strange if i´m right.... see ya
BisonTamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Apr 19, 2006 12:11 am »

It's taken me a long time to write this review, but I think it's worth it.

Life on the run still doesn't agree with Zuko. I could imagine how horrified the Fire Prince is to have to beg for a few piddly coins, but Iroh shows he's not above performing for his supper. I feel Iroh has more lessons to teach Zuko about life.

Two episodes ago, we had hippies. Now, we see there are rednecks in the world of Avatar. Tho and Due were funny, and I laughed at their entire chase after Appa and Momo.

May I just say I love Fierce!Momo? I would love to have an avatar of Momo when he screeched at the catfish-gator.

Looking back on it, this episode draws a lot of comparisons to The Cave of the Two Lovers. The gang gets separated, then finds each other again, they fall in with an odd group of people, and Zuko and Iroh have an adventure which seems simply humorous at first, but turns out to be significant. Oh, and the last-second twist.

I loved seeing the Blue Spirit again. I wonder if Zuko is going to use the Blue Spirit to do some different things now? The Blue Spirit could become some kind of Robin Hood-like character, but that really isn't Zuko's style.

I forget which Oriental religion has the whole "the earth is one giant living organism" philosophy, but I'm a little surprised the Avatar hasn't heard it before. It takes Hue to clue in Aang on this concept, and I wonder how it's going to fit into the story at large.

I'm sorry, but I feel Sokka's obsession with Yue isn't good for him. I believe Suki, from Kiyoshi Island, is an infinitely better fit for Sokka.

We almost - almost - got a look at Katara's and Sokka's mom, but it didn't quite happen. I felt for Katara when she realized her vision was really an old stump, and she fell to her knees, weeping.

I'm not sure if there's going to be a new Avatar this week, so until then, I'll be patiently waiting over here...

EDIT: Was I the only one who thought of Guns'n'Roses' "Paradise City" when Iroh sang "Girls of Ba-Sing-Se?"

And

Quote from: Savitri
Did anyone find it strange that Sokka was the only one of the three to have a negative aspect to his vision?  Yue accuses him of not being able to protect her.  Given the circumstances under which she became the Moon Spirit, I thought that was particularly harsh.  Posibilities for this include the fact that Sokka is in general more negative than either Aang or Katara and/or Sokka reproaches himself with just this failure and that is why it manifested in his swamp vision.

Somehow, I think this is more what Sokka would think Yue would say to him if she were to come back, not what her spirit would actually say. I get the vibe Sokka blames himself for her "death," and I don't think these visions were true spirits -- well, maybe Aang's was, but that's Avatar stuff.  Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2006 12:43 am by BisonTamer » Logged

Even if you're lost you can't lose the love because it's in your heart.
Zarr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Apr 21, 2006 08:31 pm »

I actually live in southern Louisiana, so do I get to call official judgement as to how degrading the stereotypes are? Wink

Whoa, me too. I agree, they made swamps seem all...hick. I liked the episode, though. I love how Sokka is so skeptical about everything.

Haha, signature. What? Yeah.
someone198
« Reply #42 on: Apr 23, 2006 09:46 pm »

I think there are only three scenes in this episode worth watching.

The hillbillies were even worse than the hippies! That stupid Appa and Momo and sub-plot was completely pointless! (Am I the only one who has seen nothing of the like in any quality real anime?) That Eastern mumbo-jumbo about "time and death are nothing but illusions" and "listening to the earth and nature for enlightenment"... The gods of the ocean, moon, etc. covered as "spirits," I could live with, but I draw the line at that lecture that has no standing at all in a real world without magic that was delivered as if fully intended to be taken seriously!! I'm with Sokka- even if you comes across possibly real magic, it's better to avoid it.

Needless to say, IMO, only Sokka and Zuko were the redeeming qualities of this episode. So, refusing to believe in blatantly obvious magic and seeing (but denying) visions of his dead girlfriend? looks like Sokka is turning into Seto Kaiba. And the masked vigilante jumping the criminal from behind in a dark alley and knocking him out? Looks like Zuko's turning into Batman.

This could have been such a great episode if the visions had been given more time and meaning and revealing details, for one. And if the writers would cut Sokka a break! But, thanks to the reappearance of the Blue Spirit in the last scene, I have a feeling the upcoming episodes will be better.
BisonTamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2006 02:13 am »

Quote from: someone198
And the masked vigilante jumping the criminal from behind in a dark alley and knocking him out? Looks like Zuko's turning into Batman.

Except for one thing: The Swordsman wasn't a criminal. Sure, he was a jerk for making Iroh sing and dance, but I don't think you could charge him with aggravated assault, because he never touched Iroh. Heck, he never even threatened to harm Iroh. And, after being humiliated and called "fat," Iroh still said the Swordsman was "a nice man."

Zuko, on the other hand, jumped the Swordsman in a dark alley and took his swords while wearing a mask. That's a textbook mugging.

Even if you're lost you can't lose the love because it's in your heart.
enelamra_faye
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Rawr, goes the Sokka.

arms_16@hotmail.com enelamra_faye
« Reply #44 on: Aug 08, 2006 12:12 am »

I finally got to watch this episode. I missed like three. Lol, I'm so late. They already found Toph. =P But even though Aang saw Toph in the Swamp and all (because she is a person he will meet), does that really mean they're gonna get together? Lol, I'm sooo late. =P Well, yeah, I'm having second thoughts about Kataang, but I'm still on that ship. =)
Wolfblade
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Aug 08, 2006 01:13 pm »

This is a bit of a leap, but i think an airbender could have caused the tornado.In the first episodes (can't remember which) Katara said they hadn't been seen in 100 years, but that dosn't mean they all died, some could have just gone in to hiding. So this airbender may have seen Appa and decided that the best way to bring them to him/her was a tornado.
Although this is just a theory.   
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Aug 08, 2006 01:23 pm »

In the begining of the epi while Appa is flying over the Swamp you notice a small hut in the trees. At first I thought this was foreshadowing that the gAang would run into people who lived in the swamp..and they did. Now I am wondering if it means that there are more than one type of people living in the swamp...like Airbenders.

The Swamp and The Spirit World look similar (see SoN II). I think that is because the Swamp and Spirit world are connected. Maybe the tornado came from the spirit world and manifested in the swamp. Someone from the Spirit world trying to guide Aang there.

/\/\ see hut in the trees

Screenshot from firebender.com

Xeiros
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I despise Avatar.

266755988 Xerios417 xerios417
« Reply #47 on: Aug 24, 2006 04:39 pm »

Thats quite an intriging theory youve come up with Avatar_Mom. Its almost as if you pay too much attention. Perhaps the lesson that everything is connected in the world is more true than they let on. I support your theory that the spirit and real worlds are connected.

I was suprised by Kataras reaction when she found out the person she thought was her mother wasn't real. It shows you just how strong her bond was with her mother. Sokka on the other hand didn't even seem to care when he saw the vision of Yue unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006 04:41 pm by Xeiros » Logged

Wii Code/Nickname:2249-5964-0834-8514/Cenobia
PM me if you register me so I may add you as well.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka candybender ;)

« Reply #48 on: Sep 22, 2006 01:44 pm »

Well maybe someone figured this out or maybe someone already wrote this but we all know that Toph is the girl (duh -_-') Aang saw in his vision. Why would that be in this so called swamp were you see people you have known'thought they were dead/lost? I don't like to say this but...won't you guys think that something is going to happen in future with Toph? I mean it's kindda far-fetched but then again it's so logical. (hopes that Toph isn't going to die/hurt/lost!) Maybe in the season finale then Aang goes again from 'you hurt one of my friends!' and then he goes in Avatar State. We al know Aang is very sensitive about his family ( Appa, Momo, Katar, Sokka, Toph). Or maybe he'll just see Appa hurt??? who knows?...
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka candybender ;)

« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2006 01:49 pm »

ow and I know Sokka really really loves Yue..I mean it was/is true love. But isn't it ,well not to be rude, weird if you think of this one girl you love while your mother is dead? it seems the creators want to show sokka loves his parents but has a sortta 'don't-care-about-mom' thing. i mean my mom is my best friend...-then again i'm a girl of 13, sooo. or maybe the creators didn't want two things the same. like it's boring if you see one person as a memory of two persons...well it's kindda sad but i hope they show sokka's sadness about his lost mother..
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: