Apr 27, 2017 02:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 56 (24.9%)
9 - 53 (23.6%)
8 - 41 (18.2%)
7 - 32 (14.2%)
6 - 20 (8.9%)
5 - 8 (3.6%)
4 - 4 (1.8%)
3 - 1 (0.4%)
2 - 4 (1.8%)
1 - 6 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 215

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [204] The Swamp  (Read 25992 times)
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Monk's Gone Wild (IZ TEH BIGGEST ZUTARIAN ON ASN)

« Reply #125 on: Nov 14, 2009 02:05 am »

I really didn't care much about this ep.  The only cool thing about it was when they showed the chibis, playing around in a boat.  Now, that was funny.
Wait... like the Swamp Skiing throwdown? Is that the one your talking about?

Keeper of Aang discovering he had hair, Zuko&Katara first mission together

I thanked everyone who made me icon/sig on DA. General/Commander AA22 of the Zutarmy. Master of the weapon Zutaratana!
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #126 on: Nov 14, 2009 07:18 pm »

The one thing I didn't like was what they did to Hu's character. He started out as a sort of Guru that ushered all sorts of themes and foreshadowing to the surface. Then, and within the same episode I might add, he became a comic relief.
That's classic anime, and I can't stand it. It might have been better if they had done him like Iroh. That is, to be used for his comedy as much as for his wisdom, but they didn't.

So, a classic anime show turns a wise character into comic relief? Which anime show are you referring to specifically, because from the seven mainstream anime I've seen in this lifetime, I've yet to see a wise character go wrong because of too much comic relief. Every character offers some wisdom, and some humor, and some bad@$$ery, and it all balances out pretty well. Tongue

Even so, Hu was NOT just some simple comic relief character after his wisdom speech. Just because some humor was played on his part doesn't mean his original wisdom was overshadowed by it. A wise man, as you and I would see in Iroh, is allowed to have some humor played into his character.

The thing about Avatar is that they've never had a simple comic relief in the series.. everyone has a little bit of everything. Sokka, one of the biggest goofs in the shows, has his own wise points throughout the series. Same thing with Bumi.. although it does seem that he finds everything a big joke, he does everything for a reason. Hu is no different, despite being a minor character in the series. He is wise, humorous, and powerful, and I respect and like him for everything that he is.
Master_Waterbender15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Waterbending The Art of Beauty, Power, and Healing

15 Dan+Ariel
« Reply #127 on: Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily say that they totally destroyed the integrity of Hu's character. Rather, I'd say they moreover flipped him, gave him two clear sides, each as ridiculous as the other, in complete opposition. The fact that they did chose to bring out his goofy side later on does leave a lasting impression, but still he didn't do anything too crazy, he just associated with the Swamp folk. Does that, in and of itself, make him a comic relief character? I'd like to think not, but then again it is debatable.

I really liked this episode. It was kind of eery, but overall it had a nice touch, with great animation, an interesting premise, and an amazing fight scene. The writers had most if not all of us going, thinking that the GAang really was fighting a deathly swamp creature out to drag them to their swampy graves. It was thrilling and wholly unpredictable!

Keeper of: Pakku's NWT Catamaran For His Southward Journey, Pakku's Amazing Water Spout, The Accepted Betrothal Necklace Pakku Gave to Kanna.
Scott
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"What did you say about my hair loopies?!"

« Reply #128 on: Nov 16, 2009 01:22 am »

I agree, this episode is one of my top 10 favorites. It was very creative and informative too! I like the giant bugs that Sokka was eating, they must have a lot of protein! Haha

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2010 02:44 am »

positives:
-Hue's speech about the world being "one" and stuff (one of my favorite scenes in the whole series Grin)
-the supernatural/spiritual/mysterious feel of the episode
-Iroh begging/flirting Cheesy
-Iroh's song
-the Blue Spirit is back! Cool
-Aang's vision of Toph
- a quick glimpse of Kya
-Appa and Momo having their own little adventure
-Sokka's vision of Yue (and his guilt)
-the swampbenders are weird but cool
-SKEPTICISM! Sokka

negatives:
-it can get a bit boring
-the swampbenders are right on the line between goofy and over-the-top IMO
-a little more Zuko and Iroh stuff would have been nice

rating: 9

I've always loved the overall feel of this episode, and I think it's great how they started and ended it with a bit of Zuko and Iroh's story.

I wonder if Aang using the tree to find Appa (similar to the Guru finding Aang) has anything sort of connection to energybending.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010 02:46 am by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
ricco
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #130 on: Jul 23, 2010 12:57 am »

i just found an animation error.

when Tho is singing the "Set my lines by the river bed" song and strumming his hand on the side of a boat. Just as he finishes strumming before they are attacked by the gaang, his whole arm just disappears!!!

Keeper of Katara's: "I don't know Aang...ask Sokka's instincts",
Azula’s: "My own mother thought I was a monster...she was right",
Iroh's: "Maybe it should be a proverb", Roku's: "You think I am weak"
avastarr21
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Elements of Life

« Reply #131 on: Jul 24, 2010 08:14 pm »

Found out from Avatar Extras the other day that this was one of the few episodes where it started and ended with Zuko's story. As for the episode in general, I was enlightened by the 'Everything is connected' message.

Keeper of 'Iroh's burning of the fire nation flag at the Earth Kingdom Palace in 321'
Keeper of 'Aang saving Zuko from the blizzard in 120'
Simon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chibi Jet

« Reply #132 on: Aug 03, 2010 07:34 pm »

I liked the foreshadowing to Toph Smiley
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #133 on: Aug 17, 2010 11:13 am »

What has just occurred to me in this episode, is Sokka's realism.

Now what i mean, is that to deal with the loss of Yue in the north pole, he pushes aside his feelings, and tries to write it off as "Magic" and thus his endless tirades of how the swamp is not mystical. the real critical point is when he sees Yue in the swamp, and later admits that he thinks about her every day. the pain of having to lose someone that he grew very close too was just too much, and he tries to not think about it.

That's just my thoughts at least.

Hue's speech was excellent as well. Katara seeing her mom was depressing as well- it i had been in the same situation, i think i would have handled it a lot worse.

Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #134 on: Sep 27, 2010 08:58 am »

Pretty decent, I thought Aang's vision was going to be someone he had forgotten. But then I remembered he doesnt suffer from any amnesia from the old days.

Carpe diem
Falconfrost
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #135 on: Sep 27, 2010 09:29 am »

I rewatched this episode last night... man, it's scary!  This and the one about blood-bending.  I rate it a ten, except that battle against the swamp "monster" (aka hillbilly) was kind of boring.

Zuko and Sokka- my unmatched favs!
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #136 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:16 pm »

I rewatched this episode last night... man, it's scary!  This and the one about blood-bending.  I rate it a ten, except that battle against the swamp "monster" (aka hillbilly) was kind of boring.
Well actually I thought this one was great on showing that there are other benders rather that the 4 main elements.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #137 on: Oct 23, 2010 05:19 pm »

Well actually I thought this one was great on showing that there are other benders rather that the 4 main elements.

The swamp benders did bend one of the four elements...

Hue's bending style was unique, but it was still waterbending.

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
TTawhara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

tonilisious@hotmail.com
« Reply #138 on: Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm »

I liked it cause it was like creepy.
newavatarfan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a real legend

« Reply #139 on: Mar 04, 2011 04:59 pm »

It is a good episode... but the lack of a break from the swamp made it a little bit boring. I wish they had flashed to Irko at least once after the beginning, just to allow for a little bit of variety. The moppa bit was hilarious though Cheesy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Hu's speech had clear implications towards the Fire Nation, that they are from the same tree that everyone else is from. Considering the message sent at the end of the previous episode, it definitely seems that they were trying to send a pretty clear message, and it foreshadowed much of the intent of the third season.

Definitely an important episode in terms of the messages, both obvious and obscure, but not as well done as other episodes like it.

AncientScarab
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Regal Beetle

« Reply #140 on: Feb 16, 2013 08:15 am »

It is a good episode... but the lack of a break from the swamp made it a little bit boring. I wish they had flashed to Irko at least once after the beginning, just to allow for a little bit of variety. The moppa bit was hilarious though Cheesy

Sometimes I bristle at over-thinking some elements of the series, but I agree with you. I remember thinking that the swamp part was too drawn out - I wanted to see more Iroh-Zuko interaction in this episode.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Hu's speech had clear implications towards the Fire Nation, that they are from the same tree that everyone else is from. Considering the message sent at the end of the previous episode, it definitely seems that they were trying to send a pretty clear message, and it foreshadowed much of the intent of the third season.

Definitely an important episode in terms of the messages, both obvious and obscure, but not as well done as other episodes like it.

Yes, Huu's message was no doubt universal. He probably had the war in mind, but I don't think his words were specifically directed solely towards the Fire Nation. I think what he said reflected a recurring theme throughout the whole series - that they were all "roots from the same tree". The issue, was that not everyone was open to that reality. Also, I think through his enlightenment, he knew that Katara, Sokka, and Aang (especially), could use his wisdom to look at things differently to unlock the "pandora's box" of sorts  Grin

What'chu talkin' bout Willis?
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #141 on: Sep 19, 2013 01:32 pm »

My friend just watched this Episode : "I'm not going to drop it this far in. Cheesy Though I am not impressed with Book 2 so far. Cheesy"

*sigh*, I give up, he doesn't like it and only sticks around to not hurt my feelings. XD Even if I tell him to stop if he wants. This sucks... Cheesy
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #142 on: Sep 19, 2013 08:59 pm »

I've always felt that Book 2 opens very weakly. It wasn't until The Blind Bandit that I really felt like it picked up.

The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #143 on: Sep 20, 2013 05:29 pm »

I've always felt that Book 2 opens very weakly. It wasn't until The Blind Bandit that I really felt like it picked up.

Really? I thought all the episodes before 206 were amazing and one of my favorites. They were one of the ones that showcased the show's amazing balance between comedy and drama.

The Swamp was a bit meh out of all of them but it's still good.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #144 on: Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm »

You know, after seeing him in episodes like The Day of Black Sun part 1, I forgot how wise Hu could be.  I'd really like to have seen more of this side of the character.  

As for the rest of the episode, it was decent I suppose.  it again explored the issue of the mystical vs the practical and "real", but I like that in this case it seems to have left things up to the viewer to decide.  Sokka's explanation regarding the visions sounds at least plausible, even though I don't entirely agree (they all were having visions at the same time, and they were led to the same place?).  I must say I like that approach.  

And it's just one small line, but I also like how when it comes to mystical goings on, Sokka makes an exception for "avatar stuff".  In his world, there are two different kinds of "mystical stuff".  There's anything related to the Avatar, the spirit world, and bending, and then there's other things like fortune telling and living swamps.  Even though he doesn't fully understand either, he accepts the former as they're part of how his world functions.  They're a fact of life there, even if he doesn't really get it.  The other stuff, however, is just as "real" there as it is here.  

A lot of the time in works where one type of mystical thing (Fantasy A) is real, a character may express that another mystical thing (Fantasy B) is not.  Someone will inevitably say, "Hey, you know Fantasy A exists, but you don't believe in Fantasy B?".But of course the existence of Fantasy A has nothing to do with Fantasy B.  I like that Sokka seems to make that distinction.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #145 on: Oct 28, 2013 07:07 pm »

I never really thought about that, but that's a good point. I always took it as Sokka just being arbitrarily skeptical, but that's a good point about how Avatar Stuff is so established and tied to Bending that Sokka would make the distinction. Still, though, you'd think he'd be a bit more open after he had his beliefs about flying Bison changed.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #146 on: Nov 20, 2013 03:07 am »

Really? I thought all the episodes before 206 were amazing and one of my favorites. They were one of the ones that showcased the show's amazing balance between comedy and drama.

The Swamp was a bit meh out of all of them but it's still good.

Really? The Swamp has always been one of my favorites. Sure, pre-Toph Book 2 meandered around a bit. Sure, Return to Omashu makes the Swamp seem like filler. And sure, Zuko almost stole the show from Aang but still...

...I love this episode.

If we ever get a live action version though, it would be better for them to incorporate this episode into Book 1.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #147 on: Nov 20, 2013 04:52 am »

The Swamp was easily the stand out episode from season 2's first stretch.

Maybe because it hinted the most strongly towards the moment that would spark the season into non-stop awesome.
BloodbenderBeast
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've lost my life in water tribe....

« Reply #148 on: Nov 27, 2013 06:33 am »

This epizode was a little sad, but really wise. Really wise.....

Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #149 on: Jan 01, 2015 12:39 pm »

Like most of Book Earth's first five episodes, this episode was rather slow. I actually really like various parts of it, but I feel as if it could have benefited from being trimmed down. I did not care for Appa and Momo hijinks, and the Hillbilly swampbenders were not as endearing as Chong and his traveling troupe. Even the Zuko bits weren't that interesting. Sure, he continues to slide further into desperation, but I wasn't that invested in his storyline this time around. As for the visions, I loved them all, especially the Toph one. In fact, I liked it because I am always interested in learning more about weird Avatar stuff. Why is it that Aang can see the future? Or at least, visions of people he has yet to meet? Things like that fascinate me immensely.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: