Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other T.V Show Character's That Resemble Avatar's  (Read 21607 times)
katara1018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #75 on: Aug 23, 2009 11:34 pm »

Ben(from LOST) reminds me of Azula because he always lies.

Sig by WaterLady from KF/Tumblr.
Keeper of Sokka's "FLYING KICKAPOW!!! From EIP
Follow me on tumblr: http://avatardedinthetardis.tumblr.com/
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #76 on: Aug 23, 2009 11:37 pm »

"Ozai's Angels and Team Rocket"... Hmmm... This could probably go in the thread titled Other T.V Show Character's That Resemble Avatar's, so I'm gonna merge this thread with that one...

Merge completed.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
cbad
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't put your hand in Tophs face.You'll regret it

« Reply #77 on: Aug 24, 2009 01:57 am »

Toph and Raven are kind of similar. Something about them I just can't put my finger on. And it's this shared trait that makes me like them. I wish I could figure it out. I guess they're both kinda mysterious in a way, know what I mean?

I keep: Toph's pinball machine and The bag of Toph's stuff

Totally awesome sig by xxboomerAANGsqaudxx
Moo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #78 on: Aug 24, 2009 07:02 am »

Kovu from The Lion King 2 reminds me of Zuko haha.
In the song 'one of us', I can't stop thinking of 'Zuko Alone'.

'Evil as plain as the scar on his face'
 Undecided
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ NOT DEAD

« Reply #79 on: Aug 24, 2009 01:13 pm »

Kovu from The Lion King 2 reminds me of Zuko haha.
In the song 'one of us', I can't stop thinking of 'Zuko Alone'.

'Evil as plain as the scar on his face'
 Undecided

Lots of people have made that comparison, myself included. I think it's funny how much they're alike. Both of them even got their scars from one of their parents! Shocked

The_Avatar_Blows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be vewwy vewwy quiet

« Reply #80 on: Aug 24, 2009 02:01 pm »

Except girls aren't running around going "Kovu's soooooo dreamy!"

PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ NOT DEAD

« Reply #81 on: Aug 24, 2009 02:08 pm »

Except girls aren't running around going "Kovu's soooooo dreamy!"

LOL good point. I think it's just easier for Zuko cause he's a human Tongue

The_Avatar_Blows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be vewwy vewwy quiet

« Reply #82 on: Aug 24, 2009 02:13 pm »

That... might be the reason, I will admit. The "Lion King Bestiality" fan base is quite a bit smaller than the Zuko fan base alone, not to mention the whole avatar one.

phantomviola
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Context is for the weak.

« Reply #83 on: Oct 16, 2009 09:38 pm »

I've been watching a lot of X-Men evolution lately, and the characer Lance reminds me of Jet.

A lot.

And generally, there are a lot of parallels, chacterwise. The Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver dynamic reminds me a lot of the Zuko/Azula dynamic... though it's hard to say who would be whom.

quote by John Green
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #84 on: Oct 18, 2009 01:53 am »

I just got through watching an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim. Although the episode did little alter my dissatisfaction for traditional Japanese anime, I must say that there was a small amount of appeal.

The character Rose (I believe that was her name), reminds me a lot of Katara. Her character seems to be a little different, but her face (and not to mention skin color) are very similar to Katara's.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #85 on: Oct 18, 2009 03:14 am »

I just got through watching an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim. Although the episode did little alter my dissatisfaction for traditional Japanese anime, I must say that there was a small amount of appeal.

One episode cannot get you into that series, seriously, you need to watch some more before you really start enjoying it... seems you're watching the first anime, if yes, things will start rolling after 2 or 3 more eps. I suggest you do that, Fullmetal Alchemist is at least as good if not better than Avatar.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #86 on: Oct 18, 2009 01:38 pm »

One episode cannot get you into that series, seriously, you need to watch some more before you really start enjoying it... seems you're watching the first anime, if yes, things will start rolling after 2 or 3 more eps. I suggest you do that, Fullmetal Alchemist is at least as good if not better than Avatar.

I picked up on the deeper, more spiritual side of the storyline. The big tin guy was talking about the first rule of alchemy, that in order to obtain, you must first give up something of equal value. I thought that was kinda neat. It kind of sounded like something out of witchcraft, but I realize that it is true otherwise as well.

I probably won't get into it though. Manipulating elements is one thing, but the quasi-Japanese world of Fullmetal Alchemist and its basic principles is quite another. I've never been fond of anime because it feels too foreign and homogeneously Japanese. I don't really have anything against Japan, but I can't explain why I feel so adverse to the culture. Too much of it acts as a sort of repellent to me. Again, I can't explain it, so don't ask. Though, I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I want something of my own familiar American culture to relate to.

Sig by The_Elite.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #87 on: Oct 18, 2009 01:42 pm »

Actually, Fullmetal Alchemist is an alternate universe of Imperial Germany. It's implicit in the beginning but stated outright near the end. Besides, alchemy is a western concept, not Japanese.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #88 on: Oct 18, 2009 02:04 pm »

Actually, alchemy has been practiced in all parts of the world. Though it was the west that tried to turn stuff into gold, the civilizations of East Asia used alchemy to create things like black powder for early cannons and mortars, as well as for fireworks. But we're getting off-topic.

I only saw one episode, and it was presented in a Japanese fashion. Though I should have picked up on the western references in architecture and religion and deduced otherwise, the way people were presented and humor was interjected mimicked typical Japanese style.

Sig by The_Elite.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #89 on: Oct 18, 2009 02:11 pm »

Actually, alchemy has been practiced in all parts of the world. Though it was the west that tried to turn stuff into gold, the civilizations of East Asia used alchemy to create things like black powder for early cannons and mortars, as well as for fireworks. But we're getting off-topic.

Uh, forgot that for a second, what a bummer.

the way people were presented and humor was interjected mimicked typical Japanese style.

Yeah, but it's not like western animation studios don't interject more or less involuntarily figures of speech, humor and moral values that are typically western even if the show is suited in the east or an eastern setting (e.g. Avatar)
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #90 on: Oct 18, 2009 04:42 pm »

I'm a westerner. I identify with western customs. I can translate the customs and cultures of the east, but I prefer my native element.

Sig by The_Elite.
The_Avatar_Blows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be vewwy vewwy quiet

« Reply #91 on: Oct 20, 2009 10:15 pm »

Western archetypes seem to focus a lot more on Good and Evil than eastern ones. The lack of a solid moral compass throws me off of many Japanese based products. They always have an "Evil" character (at least when they're trying to appeal to westerners) but their motives are usually "evil for the sake of evil," rather than something deeper.

I don't know. It's hard to explain the difference between stereotypes sometimes.

heroicimage
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

because radios broadcast images

« Reply #92 on: Oct 20, 2009 10:53 pm »

^  Maybe the terms antagonist and protagonist?

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #93 on: Oct 21, 2009 02:25 am »

They always have an "Evil" character (at least when they're trying to appeal to westerners) but their motives are usually "evil for the sake of evil," rather than something deeper.

And you think it's any different in the west? "For the evulz" is the most common motive there is and ever was, both in east and west.
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #94 on: Oct 21, 2009 03:11 pm »

They always have an "Evil" character (at least when they're trying to appeal to westerners) but their motives are usually "evil for the sake of evil," rather than something deeper.

And you think it's any different in the west? "For the evulz" is the most common motive there is and ever was, both in east and west.

BEING evil, is the most common motive there is. WHY the evil, is different in East and West. I find most supervillains in anime to be very flat characters. In the West, you're more likely to get a backstory. Take Ozai, for instance. He's a supervillain and he's bad to the bone. However, this stems from family tradition and that as firelord, he's supposed to finish what his grandfather started. The product of his motives (the evil he commits) is just collateral damage.

Sig by The_Elite.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #95 on: Oct 21, 2009 04:40 pm »

^You know, I bet I could give you an explanation akin to that for every of those flat characters you hinted at. Also, being a flat character is NOT unrealistic in any way, just not exactly interesting. Btw, a serious question, why do villains have to have a backstory, what makes villains who have one inherently better than those who don't. I'm not sure if I ever saw anyone demanding an explanation as to why the hero is good so I'm a little bewildered.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #96 on: Oct 21, 2009 06:03 pm »

I'm not sure if I ever saw anyone demanding an explanation as to why the hero is good so I'm a little bewildered.

And yet Spider-Man and Batman are much more popular than Superman.

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #97 on: Oct 21, 2009 06:35 pm »

^You know, I bet I could give you an explanation akin to that for every of those flat characters you hinted at. Also, being a flat character is NOT unrealistic in any way, just not exactly interesting. Btw, a serious question, why do villains have to have a backstory, what makes villains who have one inherently better than those who don't. I'm not sure if I ever saw anyone demanding an explanation as to why the hero is good so I'm a little bewildered.

I won't argue. I've given most anime a wide berth, so I'd be out of my league to hold an argument. Flat baddies in what little anime I have actually watched through has simply been my limited experience.

As for 3D baddies vs. 2D baddies, it's the power of the choice. Virtually all cultures of the human race agree on one thing: there IS a moral good. The definition of this good may differ from culture to culture, but the parameters of it are the same. "Goodness" is achieved by going against the grain (MOST of the time... at least, that's the common history). People all around the world make choices to do what's smart and/or natural, or to make a questionable stand and do unorthodox things such as forgive, show mercy, or act in kindness in the face of humiliation. 3D characters make these choices too, and that makes them more human on a subconscious level. The better the average person can readily identify with the decisions faced by character, be they good or bad, the better they are rated as a character.

Sig by The_Elite.
The_Avatar_Blows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be vewwy vewwy quiet

« Reply #98 on: Oct 21, 2009 07:25 pm »

Personally, I dislike flat characters, period, be they good or evil. Everything should have a motive. To me, the evil villain who thinks he's helping the world, or living up to some personal standard of his, or avenging the death of his friend, is so much more fun to read about than the evil character who wants to rule the world because ruling the world is what evil characters do. If he never once asks himself what he's going to DO with the world, how he's going to improve it when he's done subjugating it, why they're fighting him when he knows he's right... then he's either incredibly stupid or a megalomaniac, or being evil for the sake of evil. Any one of those reasons just doesn't make me go "Hm. What an interesting character."

Loopy brought up Superman. It's funny, but I always thought that the entire story was more about Lex Luthor than Superman. He was a far more developed character, anyway.

And what's up with the Joker? I have no idea what his motives are, or even if he has any. I'm almost fairly certain that if he doesn't have any motives, though, there's a reason that they're missing.

Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #99 on: Oct 21, 2009 07:55 pm »

^Sometimes, the arch-nemesis of a character can bask in the reflection of the more-developed's greatness. There is certainly very little understanding required with the Joker. His arch-nemesis, however, has an extremely detailed backstory.

Sig by The_Elite.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: