May 24, 2017 07:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other T.V Show Character's That Resemble Avatar's  (Read 17816 times)
LemonLime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #100 on: Oct 21, 2009 08:02 pm »

Sokka always reminded me of Brock from Pokemon. They're always lovin their ladies  Grin Roll Eyes

The_Avatar_Blows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Be vewwy vewwy quiet

« Reply #101 on: Oct 21, 2009 08:06 pm »

He makes me curious, though. His back story is intentionally left blank. He comes out of nowhere, and all he wants to do kill and maim and make Gotham miserable.

There actually was a back story, ages and ages ago, when the Joker was still a relatively minor villain in the Batman universe. Apparently, he used to wear a cape and a red helmet and go around stealing things and then using his helmet as a scuba device to escape. Only one time he jumped into industrial waste, got his skin bleached, and snapped his mind. I don't think that's his story anymore, though. At least, I hope it's not. Everybody else in Batman (I think) has a history. The Joker's lack of one is a glaring absence.

Maybe that's the point, though.

phantomviola
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Context is for the weak.

« Reply #102 on: Oct 21, 2009 09:10 pm »

I don't think that's his story anymore, though.

Alan Moore rewrote the most recent (and probably most famous) incarnation of the backstory in The Killing Joke. It tells the story as you said, but at the end, though, the Joker says "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

So...yeah. There's no really wrong answer (as of now) to the Joker's backstory. And I hope it stays that way for a long time.

Sorry, had to say this.

quote by John Green
Celestine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Reign of stars.

« Reply #103 on: Oct 22, 2009 02:38 am »

Sometimes what makes a really good villain, is when the villain is used as a plot device; a physical manifestation of everything the hero fears or fears to become. That's the Joker's relationship with Batman in the new movies. That's Zuko's relationship with Ozai. That's Katara's relationship with Hama. That's Luke's relationship with Darth Vader. The list goes on and on.

Basically, take all the hero's positive attributes, list the polar opposites of those attributes, and form those opposites into a character. It's the classic good vs. evil. One physical representation of virtue, standing against one physical representation of evil. Two sides to the same coin.

Perception is everything.

Keeper of Iroh's past mistakes and Katara's laughter.

Sig by The_Elite.
emo samurai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Jan 22, 2012 10:29 am »

DragonBall. Small kung fu kid with a staff granting him great mobility is discovered at the beginning of the series by an annoying bossy girl on a quest. Goes on a quest to discover the 4 elements/ 7 Dragonballs.

Inuyasha. Boy with supernatural powers who was frozen in time (Inuyasha/Aang) is discovered by an annoying bossy girl (Kagome) and they go searching for instruction in the 4 elements/Shikon Jewel Shards. Also, both shows have a flying animal and a useless team member that throws a boomerang.

There's also a resemblance to The Karate Kid II. Zuko is Chozen, a scary Japanese kid who wants to crush the main character for reasons of honor and is utterly fanatical, and he has an uncle who's devoted to the same quest but doesn't really care about it nearly as much. Zuko's a bit more complex, but still.

Buffy, at least 1st season in both shows. Aang is Buffy, the Chosen One and Reluctant Hero. Katara is Willow, the cute magic girl who's also bossy. Sokka is Xander, the cool loser tagalong who has no powers and has entire episodes devoted to this fact. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple writers were Buffy fans or were even transplanted from that show, Avatar started right around the time that Buffy ended.

The Fire Nation kids are lifted straight from Evangelion.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #105 on: Jan 22, 2012 11:08 am »

In the South Korean drama "Great Queen Seon Deok(which I do recommend)" the character Mi-Shil reminds me of Azula to a certain extent: power hungry, ruthless, mulapative and beautiful.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2012 11:46 am by colle » Logged
Samshapiro1
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #106 on: Jan 26, 2013 09:04 pm »

Regular show comparison to characters
Aang/Pops a kind and naive child like person who can do unusual things
Katara/Mordecai the strong lead character who helps him out
Sokka/Rigby both are sarcastic and are the usual comic characters
Zuko/Benson easily angered and wants to get the job done
Iroh/Skips gentle and wise and they look the same
Toph/Muscle Man Green and Strong
Ozai/ mr maellard the boss who usually gives a harsh treatment to one of the main characters and respects the other
Azula/Susan the trusted worker according to the boss
Mai/Thomas usually is a boring character
Ty lee/ high five ghost can be happy go lucky
Appa and momo/ Percy the main characters pet
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #107 on: Jan 27, 2013 11:03 pm »

While watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Maj. Miles reminded me of Sokka in appearance.  Also, Olivier Armstrong and Izumi Curtis have similar traits to Toph.  As chief of police, I imagine her leadership approach resembling Armstrong's.  And I'm sure Izumi and Toph would approve of each other's teaching methods  Shocked

Sotaru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hail to his High Momoness, Lord of Everything.

« Reply #108 on: Mar 04, 2014 04:22 pm »

Can't really think of a TV show character, but Scout from Team Fortress 2 kind of reminds me of Sokka.

Leaves from the vine          Little soldier boy
    Falling so slow                 Come marching home
      Like fragile, tiny shells       Brave soldier boy
         Drifting in the foam           Comes marching home
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #109 on: Mar 04, 2014 04:40 pm »

The Pyro remind me of Azula for the insanity, flame things and arrogance (many Pyro players go foward out of confidence, the unskilled ones at least).
Also, one half of the fanbase think it's insanity is caused by deep troubles, and the other think it's just like this.

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
darth fluffy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Jetko shipper 'til the end <3

« Reply #110 on: Mar 07, 2014 02:58 pm »

Oh, Iroh? Totally Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. And Ursa is most certainly Fantine. Javert shares some similarities with both Season One Zuko and Zhao. Back in the early days of Avatar, whenever I forgot Zhao's name, I would accidentally start to say Javert.

Yay! Somebody else sees it! But, by that logic... wouldn't that make Zuko Cosette? Shocked

And I was reading the New Jedi Order books and thought Kyp Durron reminded me a lot of Jet. And Nom Anor is totally Azula. And the whole situation with Jacen learning about the Vong's past is very similar to Aang's learning energy bending from the Lion Turtle.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2014 03:07 pm by darth fluffy » Logged

Keeper of: Zuko's "I'm so pretty!", the Smellerbee is Jet's sister theory, Jet's overall sexiness, Amon's tragic childhood, and Asami's lipstick.
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #111 on: Mar 07, 2014 06:08 pm »

On the topic of Azula, she look a lot like a MGS bad guy, especially Volgin.
Megalomaniac, lighting-based powers, sociopath, betrayed at the end, go insane and attack the hero and the chick in the end, arrogant, treat underlings like crap...

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #112 on: Mar 09, 2014 06:48 am »

Jade Nguyen a.k.a Cheshire from Young Justice reminded me of Azula at times. Just a more fun-loving, less controlling, flirtatious, less crazy version.

For example:

Cheshire: [To Dr. Roquette] So you've finished the virus. Eliminating the reason for your elimination. Though not the entertainment value.

Cheshire: [to Artemis] I suppose now you bring me to justice. Let your new friends interrogate me. I wonder if your position's secure enough to survive them learning *everything* I know.

Cheshire:... [to M'gann] and me killing him a lot less amusing. But, then again, I'm not here for the giggles.

Cheshire:... [Kaldur collaspses] there, limit tested.[Turns to Dr. Roquette, who's backing away] Now Doctor, time for my appointment.

Cheshire: [to Sportsmaster] Sorry dad, but in this family, it's every girl for herself.

She has the sort of voice and gallows humour that seriously reminds me of Azula.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2014 06:56 am by Blue Warpath » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #113 on: Mar 09, 2014 02:25 pm »

Yeah, I can see that. Not as high-strung as Azula, but I guess Sportsmaster did a better job with his little girls than Ozai. Cheesy

Invisible Ink
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #114 on: Mar 17, 2014 12:01 am »

Huey Freeman is Mako and Riley Freeman is Bolin

Things that seem separate and different are really one and the same.
FairladyZ2005
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #115 on: Apr 17, 2014 07:51 pm »

Cool topic. Is it weird that I could probably write an essay comparing Zuko's redemption journey with that of Jaime Lannister's from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire (with some of Tyrion's outcast status mixed in)?   Smiley  Also Cersei's descent into madness has some very interesting parallels to Azula's, though Azula is actually as smart as Cersei wishes she could be.  And Firelord Ozai and Mad King Aerys could totally be best buds - "Burn then all!"

But here are just a few Zuko/Jaime parallels I noticed:

obsession with regaining lost honor and realizes "honor is something no one can give you, you find it for yourself by doing what's right"
important haircut symbolism alllowing for "new growth"
cross-country journey during which character is severely humbled
does everything he can to get home again only to realize the old saying "you can't go home again" is true
Jaime&Brienne/Zutara parallels
Jaime loses his swordmanship skills/Zuko loses his bending - get them back through hard work
has a very powerful "telling off Dad" scene, Dad then disowns him
has a father/served a king who is a madman obsessed with fire
realizes sister is a manipulative b!tch who goes insane after she feels she's been betrayed, and does/may have a big showdown with her where they are on opposite sides (though the hatred Azula shows for Zuko is more like Cersei's hate for Tyrion, though both Azula for Zuko and Cersei for Jaime have resentment for their older brother who is the proper family heir)
ends up aided/siding with "the enemy" to restore/potentially restore peace to the realm
takes after his uncle more than his father

Azula/Cersei parallels
control freak/perfectionist
resents brother(s) for being the "heir"
power hungry but doesn't know what to do with power when she gets it, due to "betrayal" sees traitors everywhere to the point of insane paranoia, dismissing and banishing those who offer her good advice/are still loyal
Daddy's girl, mother left/died at around the same age, blames brother for it  
Cersei's growing obsession with wildfire reminds me of Azula's blue flame and the symbolism of a woman "burning out of control"
"Azula always lies" might as well be interchangeable with "Cersei always lies."

That's all I can mention without getting into big spoilers.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2014 08:08 pm by FairladyZ2005 » Logged

Helping to bring balance to the fandom, one post at a time!
Blue Warpath
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Evil is love. Evil is life.

« Reply #116 on: Nov 05, 2014 06:47 pm »

Morgana kind of reminds me of Azula.

Morgana: "You're wrong. Don't think I don't understand loyalty just because I've got no one left to be loyal to."
Morgana: "I thought we could play a little game."
Morgana: "Oh, don't worry, dear brother. I won't leave you to die alone. I'll stay and watch over you... until the wolves gorge on your carcass and bathe in your blood."
Morgana: "Welcome dear brother. It's been far too long. I apologise if you had a difficult reception."
Morgana: "You are weak, Annis. Just as I knew you were."
Morgana: "I expected no less. Burn their crops. Let's see how they feel when their children begin to starve."
Morgana: "The agony you'll feel, you'll be glad when death comes."
Morgana: "[Tortures Mithian] Betray me again, and I will bury your father alive... understand?"
Morgana: "You cannot help your king now. You cannot even help yourself."
Morgana: "Why are we discussing his fate, when it's time to decide yours."

I can picture Azula saying stuff along those lines.

Gaius to Morgana: "I can see deep into your heart. And it is cold, cold as stone. You play Uther's loving ward, you play it so well. You fool him but you don't fool me. You would see Uther dead. And Camelot destroyed."
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 07:04 pm by Blue Warpath » Logged

Keeper of Kuvira's owning, Asami's lacking development, and Azula's nails.
The-Blue-Dragon-Lord
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: Nov 06, 2014 02:52 am »

I don't know anything about Jade Chan or watch the show she's on, but I've seen this a few times on Tumblr...

I'm not sure what her personality is like, but she looks like a younger Azula.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" — H.P. Lovecraft
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #118 on: Nov 06, 2014 08:21 am »

ROFL that's a good find

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Michifer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #119 on: Jan 01, 2015 12:48 pm »

There are definitely a lot of GoT paralels.

Zuko and Theon. Terrible father - check. More talented sister - check. Conflicting loyalties - check. Except Theon didn't have an Uncle Iroh, went full dark side in Book 2, then went to hell and came out a very different man. But he had done too much wrong to be redeemed like Zuko. The best he can hope for is the good old Redemption Equals Death.

Also, Zuko and the Hound could bond.

Arya would get along really well with Toph - she even was blind for a while.

Also, Tywin and Ozai could high five about being terrible fathers.

Dolorous Edd and Sokka would probably get along. They both know the Universe loves playing with them.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #120 on: Dec 07, 2015 05:12 pm »

I've been watching Steven Universe lately and I can't help but notice a resemblance between SU's antagonists and ATLA's own Ozai's Angels.

There's Jasper, who like Azula, is a complicated character. Jasper is a high-ranking warrior sent on a mission to destroy The Chosen One, whose the only thing standing in the way of her people's plans to take over the world.   

Then there's Peridot, the Mai of the group, is a smart, capable fighter in her own right, but generally has an apathetic attitude towards everyone and everything. She doesn't really care which side wins or loses, just as long as it doesn't affect her life. 

And then you have Lapis Lazuli, similar to Ty Lee, Lapis is friendly and sweet natured, but also arguably the most powerful member of her team. Preferring to be left out of the war, she still ends being pulled into the conflict anyway due to her unique abilities. Like Azula and Ty Lee, Jasper and Lapis are joined at the hip, despite what polar opposite personalities they have. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #121 on: Dec 07, 2015 06:30 pm »

There's Jasper, who like Azula, is a complicated character. Jasper is a high-ranking warrior sent on a mission to destroy The Chosen One, whose the only thing standing in the way of her people's plans to take over the world.   

Then there's Peridot, the Mai of the group, is a smart, capable fighter in her own right, but generally has an apathetic attitude towards everyone and everything. She doesn't really care which side wins or loses, just as long as it doesn't affect her life. 

And then you have Lapis Lazuli, similar to Ty Lee, Lapis is friendly and sweet natured, but also arguably the most powerful member of her team. Preferring to be left out of the war, she still ends being pulled into the conflict anyway due to her unique abilities. Like Azula and Ty Lee, Jasper and Lapis are joined at the hip, despite what polar opposite personalities they have. 

I don't watch Steven Unvierse but my gf does, and from what I could catch... isn't Jasper a dumb brute with the finesse of a brick? She looked more like some sort of evul!Korra for me. Also, aren't them, like, an artificial group? I can faintly remember some sort of boss lady who specifically ordered Peridot to cooperate with Jasper, and ordered Jasper to force Lapis into cooperation (and watch over her).

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #122 on: Dec 08, 2015 02:37 pm »

She looked more like some sort of evul!Korra for me.

I made the Jasper-Azula comparison because they seem to have similar backgrounds. Both come from military-centered societies, both were brought up to be cold, heartless war machines, both were sent into emotional breakdowns when their worldview was challenged and power was knocked down several pegs etc.

Also, aren't them, like, an artificial group? I can faintly remember some sort of boss lady who specifically ordered Peridot to cooperate with Jasper, and ordered Jasper to force Lapis into cooperation (and watch over her).

True, Peridot and Jasper are co-workers more then anything else, but I think the Lapis-Ty Lee comparison still holds. Lapis went to Earth with Jasper because the boss lady version of Ozai said so, Ty lee likewise, joined the Avatar hunting mission because "Azula called a little louder."

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #123 on: Dec 08, 2015 05:16 pm »

This is sort of a stretch, but... Long Feng and Breaking Bad's Gustavo Fring. (Breaking Bad wiki link on Gustavo's picture: possible content warning)

Both of them do not tend to show anger easily, preferring to remain calm and composed. When they do raise their voice, you know you're in trouble...

Both of them project one image, while in reality being something else entirely.

Both of them were operating a clandestine operation in defiance of what the law actually was supposed to be, Long Feng having manipulated his way into real power, and Gustavo Fring donating to the local police department etc while actually running a huge meth operation that was powerful and tricky enough to take down its Mexican drug rivals at one point in the show.

Both seemingly had everything under control, controlling secret enforcers who could seriously change someone's day for the worse, until some (or in Gustavo's case, two) troublesome newcomers shook everything up, both relying on fear and blackmail to keep the troublemakers in line.

Unlike Long Feng, Gustavo was taken down by the same initial troublemakers, plus the remnants of an organization he had pissed off (the Juárez Cartel), all masterminded by Walter White, while Long Feng was taken down by his own men betraying him in fazor of a second troublemaker and her faction, Azula and the Fire Nation.

They're both brought low by people who they had initially dismissed - Long Feng, by Azula, someone he didn't take seriously. Gustavo, by an alliance between Walter White (the bomb and brains) and Hector "Tio" Salamanca (who served as the trap to Gustavo get close enough for Walter's scheme), Gustavo having thought Hector "Tio" Salamanca was a threat only with his possible squealing to the DEA, never imagining the scheme Walter had in mind with Hector "Tio" Salamanca's help. (*DING DING DING DING DING* *BOOM*)

We never learned much about Gustavo's background, but it seems like he had a major rise in power, from new immigrant to drug lord who had exacted vengeance for the Juárez Cartel killing his "partner" Maximino Arciniega years before. Long Feng manipulated and schemed his way from lower class beginnings to become Grand Secretariat of Ba Sing Se and the Head of the Dai Li.

After both of their fall, they were replaced by different powers - Long Feng gave way to the Fire Nation, and Gustavo gave way at first to Walter White's influence, and then the more ruthless skinheads who supplanted him.

(Keep in mind it's been a couple years since I watched Breaking Bad, and a few months since I last watched ATLA, so some thing may be off).
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015 05:21 pm by Freedom153 » Logged

Additional datapoints acquired. Additional animated stories viewed. Directive: adjust opinion... adjusting...
First eyes, a treasure. New eyes, end with a pretentious blink, own vision eclipses.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writ
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #124 on: Dec 10, 2015 11:02 am »

I don't know anything about Jade Chan or watch the show she's on, but I've seen this a few times on Tumblr...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3yq6aIpRG1qjznmuo1_500.jpg
I'm not sure what her personality is like, but she looks like a younger Azula.
I know this is a bit old, but she tends to be a bit overconfident, likes to fight, doesn't really listen to either of her uncles when they tell her to stay out of trouble. She did do one thing that was very Azula like at the end of season 1. The main villain is incapacitated, turned into a living statue. She mocks him about not being able to move, as well as losing his immortality and then proceeds to blow him up with his own fire that was also taken.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: