Apr 16, 2014 08:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sokka's sword lost for a reason?  (Read 1795 times)
Endless Sky
Professional Penguin Sledder

Thank you for the music~

alluplnflames@hotmail.com
« on: Jul 20, 2008 08:20 pm »

Anyone else think that Sokka's awesome space-sword fell for a very good reason?

I personally think that, if the next Avatar series they are planning is in the future, one of the main characters will have it~ :3

I understand the symbolism of 'growing up' behind Sokka losing his boomerang, but to lose his sword that showed off his uniqueness and creativity in battle, there's gotta be another reason behind it... What do you think?

I ship: Tokka | Kataang || I crackship: Zukaang | Zukka | Zutara || Maiko is okay.
Firefight

« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:21 pm »

If i remember, he used the sword and boomeraang to save Toph?

Sig by: Tokka*3
Like The Wind (My Fanfiction): http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=13987.0
heirtothethrone

Prince of the Fire Nation and heir to the throne.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:26 pm »

good thinking... i can see it now... the sword becomes a thing of legend in the world of avatar and is eventually discovered by one of the characters of any new storyline that could be developed... that among many other opportunities left open by the creators...

Keep in mind, these are dual swords. Two halves of a single weapon. Don't think of them as separate, because they're not. They're just two different parts of the same whole.
Devioux

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:28 pm »

Yeah thats a great point, maybe his kid will discover it.

Another good point would be him stumbling upon it when he needs it the most.
Sziphix

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:33 pm »

I like to think of it as because seeing as the war is over, he shouldn't need to use those things anymore.
RedSpirit

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:35 pm »

Heehehe  I bet a water bender is gonna find it.
beast93boy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:42 pm »

no, there was no point to it, other than the fact that something had to be sacrificed by the end of the show, and since not a single character died, they just tossed aside a sword that was in the show for half a season.

"The worth of victory is the sum of the risk and the sacrifice."
Jersey Dagmar

Go to Fabio's ocean.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:44 pm »

I found it and I'm selling it on Ebay.  Grin

Kidding of course.

I didn't see the point either. I was more upset that Sokka broke his leg....poor Sokka.

Taang

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:46 pm »

i think they did it just to have sokka say "noooo! my space swordd" in his sokka voice =P

well, how else was he going to get rid of those firebenders? although I sort of wanted to hear Sokka say "boomerang!! you DO come back!!" one last time *sigh*

"It's so dark, I can't see anything"-Sokka
"What a NIGHTMARE!"-Toph
"Sorry."-Sokka

Keeper of:
The GAang forgetting Tophs blindness.
Aangs undiscovered crush on Toph.
Onji's name.
ina300

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:48 pm »

I miss the boomerang a lot more then his sword. Poor boomerang =(.
grievous5226
Banned Member

BEARCLAW!

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:49 pm »

If he really wants it, I'm sure Toph could find a metal object in the middle of rocky lands. But I agree, something had to be lost.

Prussia is like a gender confused dog. Are you Germany, or Russia?!? Make up your mind!
Star Bender

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:57 pm »

It would be nice if the sword was used as refence to the Gaang, if there's a later show but I don't know if that's necessarily the reason for the loss of the sword.

I just saw it as a sign of the sacrifice and connection that the characters had with each other. They would throw away such a precious an sacred item for the well being of their friend, they've been risking themselves for each other all the time throughout the show so this was no different.
Loopy

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2008 09:03 pm »

I'd like it if it popped up again several generations down the line, but the loss itself was what's important:

You see, I think the loss of Sword an Boomerang was awesome. And not because he did it to save Toph.

As I've discussed in some of the post-finale gAang-lives topics, Sokka had what seemed to be two incompatible story-arcs. He wanted to prove his manhood by being a warrior, but he discovered he had other talents (invention and ideas, mainly) that made it look like he would discover he didn't need to be a warrior.

Then we got Sokka's Master which all of a sudden advanced his warrior arc. That threw me for a loop.

Now, in the finale, he loses his weapons of war. Now the story arc makes sense. He became a warrior for when it was needed. Now that the war is over, he loses his weapons and is free to grow in the ways most natural for him. In my mind, Sokka's days of fighting are over, forever.

Notice how the final scene has him drawing?

Sig by Danger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: