Dec 20, 2014 03:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Aang manufacture Airbenders ?  (Read 1527 times)
malakite
Badgermole Serenader

« on: Jul 19, 2008 11:57 pm »

In view of the events of the finale,
can Aang take some random guy and just , well, make them an Airbender?
moerajab
Badgermole Serenader

Fire Nation

« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:59 pm »

Probably not, But if he you no, does something with Katara in bed or maby on the ground or maby...........anyways what i'm trying to say is if katara gets a baby from Aang maby they have an Airbender baby!

The Ty Feens! WILL KEEP I ALIVE FOREVER!
(OLD ASNer)
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Badgermole Serenader

Who, me?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2008 12:01 am »

Re-establishing the Air Nomads
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008 01:45 am by NeeNee » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Badgermole Serenader

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008 01:56 am »

^ I think this thread is more along the lines of "if Aang can take bending away from someone, can he also put bending into someone?", so I think maybe the thread could stay, to discuss that aspect.

However, for discussing the possible return of the Air Nomads, please use the thread that NeeNee linked above.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Tamer Brad
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008 01:57 am »

Disabling someone's innate ability is completely different from conjuring one out of nowhere, so I'm going to say no.
Skull Kid
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2008 02:15 am »

Disabling someone's innate ability is completely different from conjuring one out of nowhere, so I'm going to say no.

I wouldn't say it's so different. He didn't just take away Ozai's bending, he had to do some fancy spirit bending.  I think it might be possible for Aang to create new Airbenders, but it would be very hard, or impossible, for him to create new Air Nomads. Sadly, I think the Air Nomad culture will completely die out with Aang.

Anyway, if Aang can create Airbenders, then he can restore the Avatar cycle. This also opens up the possibility of telling the story of some avatar hundreds of years after Aang.
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Badgermole Serenader

Who, me?

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2008 02:43 am »

you always wanted to be a bender, but didn't have the talent for it?

despair no longer! the great avatar Aang can help you!

air, water, earth or firebending, as you please! done while you're waiting! real cheap!

extra reduction for those who book today.

Taang
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2008 04:21 pm »

Lol.. this will always be something that bothers me and my friend..

Aang has to be the last avatar.. unless the next three learn how to air bend by themselves.. and I doubt it, and even if that was true then there wouldn't be another air nomad.. unless it like, popped out of nowhere in some EK family, XD. so then, there would always be a bunch of "last airbenders" because unless there's artificial airbenders (I dont mind that concept that much actually) there can't be naturally more airbenders. they learned from sky bison.. and Appa is the last sky Bison.

then again, the show is over :p so technically, nothing happens anyway you look at it lol.

"It's so dark, I can't see anything"-Sokka
"What a NIGHTMARE!"-Toph
"Sorry."-Sokka

Keeper of:
The GAang forgetting Tophs blindness.
Aangs undiscovered crush on Toph.
Onji's name.
Ouroboros
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2008 04:26 pm »

Look at it this way. You can blind someone with a hot iron, but you can't return his eye sight the same way. Now try to return the sight of someone who was born without eyes using the same method.

Not the best analogy but still.

Sig by Georgie.
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Badgermole Serenader

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2008 04:35 pm »

Look at it this way. You can blind someone with a hot iron, but you can't return his eye sight the same way. Now try to return the sight of someone who was born without eyes using the same method.

Not the best analogy but still.
I pointed this out elsewhere.

To use an old analogy "One can't unboil an egg"

But this is something completely unreal.  What it can and cannot do is up to the creators...and right now, they have said the air nomads aren't coming back...
But they could very easily change their minds.
More concrete facts than that have been retaconed.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
FireLordIroh
Badgermole Serenader

The True Fire Lord will rise up!

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2008 05:12 pm »

I think Aang can only REMOVE bending, not granting bending.  Also, think how much risk that puts Aang at.  To remove 1 firebender's power nearly destroyed him... I doubt he'd take it lightly after.

theBlind_Bandit
Badgermole Serenader

Hey there, it's been a while...

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2008 05:21 pm »

With all of the drama that was put into taking away Ozais bending, I really don't think Aang would use 'spiritbending' that way.

It just seemed way to dramatic to be more than a one time thing (hence the meteoric flash of blue light thing) I'm not saying he can't, I just don't think he will.

It is not our place to question the will of Mike and Bryan.
RhoughRhinoAlternate
Badgermole Serenader

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2008 06:17 pm »

Well, considering what is on the line.

Besides, I would think there would be a difference between an evil, unwilling person and a willing, good person.

Or maybe not, but it would be weird if Teo somehow corrupted Aang.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
lilbro93
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2008 06:52 pm »

Aang has to be the last avatar.. unless the next three learn how to air bend by themselves.. and I doubt it, and even if that was true then there wouldn't be another air nomad.. unless it like, popped out of nowhere in some EK family, XD. so then, there would always be a bunch of "last airbenders" because unless there's artificial airbenders (I dont mind that concept that much actually) there can't be naturally more airbenders. they learned from sky bison.. and Appa is the last sky Bison.

then again, the show is over :p so technically, nothing happens anyway you look at it lol.

Airbending scrolls, like the water bending scroll Katara "traded" from the pirates. If none exist anymore at the temples or in librarys(The spirit library probably had all of them), then Aang could spend some time and makes some to pass on to the next avatars so they could airbend. Note: Sokka SHOULDN'T be the illustrator for the scrolls.Best to hire a professional like for the lost Appa poster.

WARNING:the name THE BLACK LOTUS BLADE was founded by LILBRO93, FIREDESERTERMADELINE ,and AAYUO. Any false stating of coming up with the name is punishable by:DEATH,ANGI KI,ZUTARA, and BANISHMENT.Thanks!!!
Badgermole Serenader

Feed the flames!!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2008 06:55 pm »

Perhaps. It would be interesting, I'll admit that.

Kataang forever! VINDICATION! Take that, Zutara!

In this land we have defended,
From all things dark and cruel,
Now we are defenseless,
In a land where dragons rule!

R.I.P. Avatar Aang. You will be missed.
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Badgermole Serenader

Who, me?

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2008 09:44 am »

Airbending scrolls, like the water bending scroll Katara "traded" from the pirates. If none exist anymore at the temples or in librarys(The spirit library probably had all of them), then Aang could spend some time and makes some to pass on to the next avatars so they could airbend. Note: Sokka SHOULDN'T be the illustrator for the scrolls.Best to hire a professional like for the lost Appa poster.
or he could just teach his children. Roll Eyes

anyway, I don't believe Aang can 'grant' bending that way. it would be real cheap if they solved the problem like that. and it seems just wrong to 'make' someone a bender.

Vendetta
On Probation
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2008 10:49 am »

People learned airbending before, they can learn again.
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2008 10:56 am »

(imagination land) When Aang took Ozai's bending away. What if he accidentally gave him air-bending as well *he did convert ozai's orange spirit to blue like aang's* which makes for a semi-meh kind of plot for Book 4: air!

Sig by Me, Keeper of Kataang's wedding photos
Soron
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2008 12:14 pm »

I think there will be airbenders again. Because:

#1 Bending is NOT genetically preset. People started to do it when they observed nature. I believe the reason why normal people can only bend 1 element is that a bender has to get attuned to that element. The air nomad's lifestyle made air their preferred choice. Other people chose different elements.
Think about the earthbending schools in the Earth kingdom. What would be the point of such schools if earthbending wouldn't be readily available to everyone who's interested ... like martial arts ?

or if you prefer

#2 Bending is bound to genetics. Think of Katara. Her mother was not a water bender - nor is Hakoda. If it's genetic, it's obiously not a dominant gene, but a recessive one. And that means that "no airbenders" doesn't mean "no airbenders" at all.
There might be lots of people with air bender ancestry who do have the genes but lack training.
azekeprofit
Badgermole Serenader

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm »

Thing is i believe he didn't just disabled Ozai's bending or just took his 'spirit' thing away. I think he had to consume it himself. Remember, there was a moment when Ozai's 'spirit' had almost consumed him (and he only had one eye left) and lion-turtle was saying in the background 'your own spirit has to be unbendable unless your spirit will be destroyed' (or something along the lines).

He already had huge amount of energy, being an Avatar, and now when he has firelord's energy too -- why don't share it with some people?

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Malia
Badgermole Serenader

I'd rather eat garbage lettuce than a dead body.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2008 01:16 pm »

He's bending a spirit, right? How can he bend what a spirit doesn't have? Katara cannot bend plants without water within them, how can Aang give airbending to someone who is not originally an airbender? The only way I could imagine it working is Aang bending his own spirit into someone else, sharing his power. But what would that do to someone? It's like part of a spirit. But seeing as Ozai still had his whole, without firebending, it would be possibly weak airbending or only some of the abilities. Overall, I really don't think it can be done. He just needs to do an Adam and Eve and make lots of babies.

you're the greatest Avatard I know.

^ -tearbend- <3
cpt_data
Badgermole Serenader

waterwriter144's #1 fanboy! :) *thumb-fumble*

« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2008 01:23 pm »

It's unknown if Aang can GIVE bending. Maybe he's able to "change" a benders bending from his old element to a new one. But I doubt Aang would do that.

Maybe its possible to give bending to very young children. Yeah, Aang could do that, but WILL he do that? After all, spiritbending is a difficult, dangerous technique and it's against everything our airbender believes - bending is a spiritual thing and shouldn't be given in the wrong hands. Or you have another Ozai or Sozin.

Résumé: Aang could, but will not do it.

Forever Avatard!Kataanger!
Fanfic: The first Airbender [10/26/08] --> UPDATE <--

Sig & Av by Doomsday
Badgermole Serenader

So basically Aang is the greatest Avatar EVER!!!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 08, 2008 01:58 pm »

I dont think Aang can give another power to someone who doesn't have the gift to bend at all. I think being born with the talent to bend an element is the only way to have that gift. I don't think the Lion Turtle explained how to give a person the ability to bend while in the mist of Aangs most challenging task a couple of hours away. But on the other hand maybe the power to bend is inside everybody and it just has to be unleashed somehow. To me it could go either way.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2008 02:00 pm by Avataraang23 » Logged

Sig By: Flame_Fall        Icon By: Flame_Fall
Keeper of Master Swordsmen MOMO and APPA
Manaic742
Badgermole Serenader

« Reply #23 on: Aug 08, 2008 02:32 pm »

I see no reason to believe Aang can give someone bending.  Taking away != giving to.

It takes more than 1 survivor of a dead race to repopulate.  As far as we can tell bending is somehow linked to genetics.  Even if Aang did have air bending kids, do you have any idea how long it would take for them to recreate an entire nation?  That's assuming Aang's kids are air benders and not water benders(if he has them with a water tribe chick like Katara).  What if mixing the blood lines dilutes one trait as it commonly does with mixed blood lines?  That would make the genes of Aang's kids weaker in the air bending DNA portion.  Since there are no other air benders and mating with their siblings isn't a good idea, the next set of mates they choose to have will dilute the trait even further.  Then Aang's grandchildren might not be air benders at all.

The chances that the air nomads will rise again is slim to none.

Edit: grammar error
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2008 02:49 pm by Manaic742 » Logged

A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves... or find themselves lacking.  - Kreia
Trobson666
Badgermole Serenader

You know he's still alive...

« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2008 02:36 pm »

The Lion-Turtle said that 'thousands of years ago people didn't bend the elements but the energy within each other' (or something to that effect, I don't know the quote), so, to be honest there's no possible reason why Aang can't give people bending as well as taking it away. I agree it would be quite a cheap way of reviving the airbenders, but there's nothing to say that he can't do it. With bending there has to be some give as well of take; to create balance.

Keeps:

1. Sokka's submarine design
2. Combustion Man's beard
3. Appa's amazing behind-the-bush hiding skills
4. Momo's Theme Tune (you know the one... Grin)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: