Mar 24, 2017 01:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 253 (78.1%)
9 - 49 (15.1%)
8 - 15 (4.6%)
7 - 5 (1.5%)
6 - 1 (0.3%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 1 (0.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 316

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [319] The Old Masters  (Read 30057 times)
SilverSandwich
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #275 on: Apr 09, 2011 07:53 am »

I don't agree: Iroh usurping Ozai can't be looked at in the same light as the Zuko/Azula battle.

For starters, Azula was never fully crowned Fire Lord/Lady (and it's unlikely that the good guys knew Ozai had just given her the title so he could assume the Phoenix King moniker), so the question of who would succeed Ozai was still up in the air.

If Iroh simply killed Ozai and took his place, history would view that as a coup, even if the intentions behind it were good. Iroh's not saying that it'd be terrible that he'd have to overthrow his brother (though I'm sure a big part of him feels that way), he's saying what it would look like in the eyes of history.

With Zuko and Azula, neither has ascended to the throne yet, and both are the legitimate heirs of Ozai, so each has a claim. And, again, in fighting Azula, Zuko doesn't have to face a crowned Fire Lord to overthrow.

I'm sure Iroh's not thrilled at the entire situation, but he was looking at it from a macro standpoint: even if some of their actions would've been justified, the way in which history viewed those actions would likely be just as, if not more, important in the grand scheme of things when it came to reshaping the world.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #276 on: Apr 09, 2011 11:41 am »

^ What? Because azula doesn't have the firelord title it's all good? Talk about contradiction, as a sibling had to nearly kill a sibling to grab power. Also iroh simply killing ozai is very unlikely judging by their shown skill sets.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #277 on: Apr 09, 2011 12:42 pm »

I don't agree: Iroh usurping Ozai can't be looked at in the same light as the Zuko/Azula battle.

No, it is totally the same thing.

For starters, Azula was never fully crowned Fire Lord/Lady (and it's unlikely that the good guys knew Ozai had just given her the title so he could assume the Phoenix King moniker), so the question of who would succeed Ozai was still up in the air.

Which is completely irrelevant. Zuko was going for a power grab and he was going to have to take Azula down in the process. He knew this because he and Iroh had a conversation about it.

If Iroh simply killed Ozai and took his place, history would view that as a coup, even if the intentions behind it were good. Iroh's not saying that it'd be terrible that he'd have to overthrow his brother (though I'm sure a big part of him feels that way), he's saying what it would look like in the eyes of history.

Which only means that he was either an idiot or a hypocrite. If Iroh had challenged Ozai to a legitimate Agni Kai and won, then he would have become the "rightful" Fire Lord. It was exactly the same scenario.

With Zuko and Azula, neither has ascended to the throne yet, and both are the legitimate heirs of Ozai, so each has a claim. And, again, in fighting Azula, Zuko doesn't have to face a crowned Fire Lord to overthrow.

Zuko was not considered a legitimate heir after the events of DoBS. Both Ozai and Mai referred to him as a traitor, and the warden was going to turn Zuko over to Ozai when he was done messing with him. The only way for Zuko to take the thrown was by force because he no longer had a legitimate claim to it. Had Iroh challenged Ozai for the thrown, he would have been in the exact same position as Zuko because they were both considered traitors under Fire Nation law and had no legitimate claim to the thrown.

I'm sure Iroh's not thrilled at the entire situation, but he was looking at it from a macro standpoint: even if some of their actions would've been justified, the way in which history viewed those actions would likely be just as, if not more, important in the grand scheme of things when it came to reshaping the world.

Just Iroh BSing his way out of doing something he hadn't wanted to do since Lu Ten died. Iroh never struck me as the type to care about what history thought of him.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #278 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:07 pm »

(and it's unlikely that the good guys knew Ozai had just given her the title so he could assume the Phoenix King moniker)

This is what I'm struggling to remember. DID they know? Huh

I actually agree with SilverSandwich in that Zuko/Azula isn't the same. Ozai still had all the power and the history books would show that the power was passed to his son - which sounds like a pretty different scenario to his older brother taking it from him.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #279 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:27 pm »

^They never mentioned knowing.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #280 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:33 pm »

^What's your take on this conundrum Doc? Cool
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #281 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:40 pm »

(and it's unlikely that the good guys knew Ozai had just given her the title so he could assume the Phoenix King moniker)

I actually agree with SilverSandwich in that Zuko/Azula isn't the same. Ozai still had all the power and the history books would show that the power was passed to his son

Except that Ozai passed the Fire Lord's title to Azula. A ceremony was planned. Fire Sages were in attendance. How could the power pass to Zuko when Ozai passed it to Azula?

I'm just a little confused here. Am I the only person who realizes that Zuko was a traitor and a criminal and had no entitlements or claim to the thrown? That nothing could actually be passed on to him?

"My name is Zuko, Crown Prince of the Fire Nation. Or at least, I used to be."

Even Zuko knew he was no longer a member of the royal family. So how could anything pass to Zuko? Why wouldn't the history books view Zuko as nothing more than a usurper? How exactly are Iroh's and Zuko's circumstances different when they were both enemies of Ozai and Azula: traitors and criminals under Fire Nation law?
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011 04:55 pm by plushu » Logged

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #282 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:54 pm »

I actually agree with SilverSandwich in that Zuko/Azula isn't the same. Ozai still had all the power and the history books would show that the power was passed to his son

Except that Ozai passed the Fire Lord's title to Azula. A ceremony was planned. Fire Sages were in attendance. How could the power pass to Zuko when Ozai passed it to Azula?

I was under the impression that Ozai's new title allowed him to keep all the real power - but I haven't seen the episode for a long time.

And didn't Zuko crash her crowning kind of? At that point, it seems more like a challenge to her claim to the throne, rather than usurping someone who was well-established on it.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #283 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:57 pm »

I was under the impression that Ozai's new title allowed him to keep all the real power - but I haven't seen the episode for a long time.

And didn't Zuko crash her crowning kind of? At that point, it seems more like a challenge to her claim to the throne, rather than usurping someone who was well-established on it.

Yes, his new title means that he keeps the real power and Azula's "upgrade" to Fire Lord is in name only. But I'm failing to see why it even matters. It's not okay if Zuko takes ultimate power from his sister but it's okay to take what power she rightfully has? What exactly are you arguing here?

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #284 on: Apr 09, 2011 04:59 pm »

I'm failing to see why it even matters? It's not okay if he takes ultimate power from his sister but it's okay to take what power she rightfully has? What exactly are you arguing here?

That to a person looking back on these events, Zuko fighting Azula for the right to the throne and Iroh fighting Ozai for the throne look different.
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #285 on: Apr 09, 2011 05:03 pm »

I'm failing to see why it even matters? It's not okay if he takes ultimate power from his sister but it's okay to take what power she rightfully has? What exactly are you arguing here?

That to an observer looking back on these events, Zuko fighting Azula for the right to the throne and Iroh fighting Ozai for the throne look different.

The funny thing about observations is not everyone sees the same things from historical events. It's likely that half the historians will see Zuko as a usurper, Iroh's half-assed wisdom notwithstanding. Not even the Great and Powerful Iroh could predict how history would view others unless he intended to write it himself.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #286 on: Apr 09, 2011 05:11 pm »

That to an observer looking back on these events, Zuko fighting Azula for the right to the throne and Iroh fighting Ozai for the throne look different.

The funny thing about observations is not everyone sees the same things from historical events. It's likely that half the historians will see Zuko as a usurper, Iroh's half-assed wisdom notwithstanding. Not even the Great and Powerful Iroh could predict how history would view others unless he intended to write it himself.

True. But neither can I - so I think I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt Tongue

Edit: They should've just had Zuko say 'NO! I have to do this!' or something.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011 05:18 pm by Mr Grieves » Logged
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #287 on: Apr 09, 2011 11:12 pm »

^Too bad they didn't, which makes iroh an hyprocrite. History will recognize that zuko fought azula to grab power unless zuko burns the history books or lies about it, yeah that sounds about right since that's what runs in the family. Perhaps someone in the future will see the burden of bending and create a way to eliminate it.....oh wait.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #288 on: Apr 10, 2011 12:31 am »

^ We don't even know how a 'legitimate claim to the throne' works (do you you need to be part of the royal family, or can any powerful firebender challenge the Firelord and win?), so it's really hard to tell how that scene will be interpreted from a Firenation POV.

But I do agree that Iroh didn't make much sense there, sending Zuko to do something he refused to do himself. Then again, overthrowing the Firelord is way more symbolic than fighting for the next place on the throne, so it would leave a bigger mark in the books.

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #289 on: Apr 10, 2011 12:37 am »

^ We don't even know how a 'legitimate claim to the throne' works (do you you need to be part of the royal family, or can any powerful firebender challenge the Firelord and win?), so it's really hard to tell how that scene will be interpreted from a Firenation POV.

I've always been a little curious about that myself. Could any random Firebender challenge the Fire Lord for the thrown? Could some poor guy challenge some wealthy guy to an Agni Kai for his land and holdings? It would be interesting if every dispute was settled via an Agni Kai.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 12:39 am by plushu » Logged

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #290 on: Apr 10, 2011 05:50 am »

I've always been a little curious about that myself. Could any random Firebender challenge the Fire Lord for the thrown? Could some poor guy challenge some wealthy guy to an Agni Kai for his land and holdings? It would be interesting if every dispute was settled via an Agni Kai.

I doubt it. Mai's father didn't strike me as the fighting type, and he did seem to hold an important position.

Perhaps it only works for Firelords.

Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #291 on: Apr 10, 2011 06:24 am »

Fire Nation isn't a tribe where random warrior could challenge chief and in case of victory take away his cattle and woman. I suppose that such a desperate there would just earn a solid kick form the guards. 

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #292 on: Apr 10, 2011 08:19 am »

I doubt it. Mai's father didn't strike me as the fighting type, and he did seem to hold an important position.

Perhaps it only works for Firelords.

Or maybe his was just a political position. I'm sure there were positions available for people who don't know how to fight.

Fire Nation isn't a tribe where random warrior could challenge chief and in case of victory take away his cattle and woman. I suppose that such a desperate there would just earn a solid kick form the guards.

And you know this to be a canonical fact, how?

Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #293 on: Apr 10, 2011 08:27 am »

Not canonical but logical. Can you image managing developed empire where the only factor considered while getting position was first and combat skills? Of course there wasn't told that challenging anyone would be forbidden- just would be person demanding such a thing taken seriously?

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
Tru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #294 on: Aug 01, 2011 12:08 am »

What an awesome episode. I loved seeing all the old masters again, and the Zuko/Iroh scene was really touching.
Gilgamesh
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Grant me Excalibur!

« Reply #295 on: Jul 09, 2012 01:44 pm »

I have to admit something that has been bothering me recently.  Why did the Order of the White Lotus liberate Ba Sing Se?

First why liberate it while the comet is making everyone defending go from grunts, to super-soldiers? The White Lotus was a smaller force, with probably very few fire-benders. They would have had quite the fight to have won that battle. So why not attack after the comet, when the fire-benders were all grunts again? And they knew the comet was coming.

But since they knew what the Ozai was going to do, why not aid the Avatar and co.? Once Ozai and Azula were down and Zuko was Fire Lord, the war would be over and they could return Ba Sing Se back to the Earth Kingdom peacefully without ANY fighting.  If they refused THEN they could attack, and not have to worry about the extra tough soldiers.  On the other hand, if Aang and co. failed, then taking back Ba Sing Se would serve little purpose with a fleet of War Balloons headed their way.

Iroh was a smart man, as were the rest of the master benders with him, so why did they even bother?

Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh... it is morphing time!
blorgy555
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #296 on: Jul 09, 2012 10:23 pm »

"Spider-fly caught in its own web." Brilliant!
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #297 on: Jul 11, 2012 08:21 pm »

I think that a commoner would be allowed to challenge the Fire Lord in an Agni Kai, but that doesn't mean the Fire Lord will have to accept. If their rule is unpopular it is possible that the generals or Sages will force him/her to do so.
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #298 on: Sep 08, 2012 01:23 am »

I was disappointed that we didn't get any interaction between Iroh- the carrier of the dragons' philosophy that fire is life- and Jeong Jeong- the self-hating firebender who believes fire is a root of evil.

Can't you just imagine Jeong Jeong at the cusp of a battle, pacing or looking at his hands or praying or meditating, desperately afraid that the comet's power is going corrupt him for good, etc, etc, and Iroh notices and has a talk with him.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
KpKimberly
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Azula ist die wertvollste.

« Reply #299 on: Sep 08, 2012 02:52 am »

The thing I hate in this episode is, that the rest of the Gaang didn't worry long about Aang after June said he's "gone". At any case, it seemed so. They just planned further. Superfriends!! Lips sealed

Sorry for my grammar.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: