Dec 17, 2017 05:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode:
10 - 220 (75.3%)
9 - 43 (14.7%)
8 - 19 (6.5%)
7 - 5 (1.7%)
6 - 4 (1.4%)
5 - 0 (0%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 1 (0.3%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 286

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [318] The Phoenix King  (Read 28485 times)
Rukie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2008 10:38 pm »

Best. Line. Ever: "Sokka, get out of the bison's mouth."

Great episode, we actually began to see a side to Azula here that we rarely see; the begining to the madness, so to speak.
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2008 10:49 pm »

It's a very nice opening to the finale. We got some last laughs before we went straight to the action. Toph ships Harutara! xD
Katsuno_Hitomi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look, a distraction!

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2008 10:52 pm »

Melon Lord Ozai was awesome! Real Ozai was crazy! All in all, awesome start to the finale.

Here there be dragons.
iKeep: BA Sing Se cha-cha, Toph\'s FN headdress, Katara\'s \"pregnant\" belly
crazyanimefan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Love is hard when you're young. It gets better.

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2008 10:58 pm »

Melon Lord!! Also, Life Changing Field Trip! AND APPA ATE MOMO! Lol.

soul reaper
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:32 pm »

My list of awesome super rememberable stuff on the show:

1) It was nice to see the gaang having fun for at least a little while in the beginning! It was cool to see them having a beach party and Toph's sandbending was incredible!  Wink
2) Zuko went mad and attacked Aang, but he had reasons. I agreed that they had to stop fooling around and train or something!  Shocked
3) So, airbenders were wiped out thanks to Sozin's comet, still unbelievable that they all died though.  Undecided
4) Really great training session! Toph was super funny as the firelord!  Cheesy

firelily
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Set by Zutarawillliveon :)

« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm »

And when Sokka took the sword and cut the Melon-Lord's head in half, I felt just as horrified as Aang did.  Strange, but the calm way in which Sokka did it scared me a little.

Keeper of Nyla's sense of smell, the 'Love Amongst the Dragons' poster, Aang's peaceful nature, and Sokka's Dragon Pipe!
The Blue Spirit 2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Fist Shaker.

« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:46 pm »

Nothing did it for me in this episode. Seemed to just set of the last three for me.

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:48 pm »

The calm before the storm is one way to describe this episode. I enjoyed it. It set up everything nicely and they even had fun.

Zuko attacking Aang was interesting. But I'm glad he did, Zuko knows how his father is and he knows more than anyone about what could happen.

The Toko "adventure" was so cute and I felt bad for Toph but she doesn't need a life changing experience. She just needs to learn to open up more. =D

The Melon Lord sequence was both hilarious and interesting. Toph was so funny doing her EBIL laugh. But the end of the scene was creepy. Sokka sure had no problem with killing someone and I felt bad for Aang.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot!
10/10

Christine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:51 pm »

HURRAY! Beach party and Sand sculptures. I like the one Toph made ^_^ Sandbending~ =D0
Zuko is on fire. Shocked
Air, water, earth fire Cheesy FAN AND SWORD XDDD
That was funny.
Zuko found redirecting exhilarating :3
Toph is a brilliant Melon Lord ne?
Poor Aang, I can understand how he feels. That is hard.
OMIJEEZ TOPH. - "I knew you had a secret thing for Haru." xD (something like that)
AWW Toph. She wanted a field trip with Zuko too. I want a field trip Zuko ;]
sokka get out of the bison's mouth xD
YAAAY! Jun is there~ :3 very interesting.
TOPH RULES everything she says is funny
CyanRedYellow
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:58 pm »

And when Sokka took the sword and cut the Melon-Lord's head in half, I felt just as horrified as Aang did.  Strange, but the calm way in which Sokka did it scared me a little.

Scary, but then momo came and started licking the watermelon, lol. xD
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2008 11:59 pm »

Question I have is when did Aang's doubts of killing Ozai come from? Where was his doubts during the Day Of Black Sun invasion.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
iliketosmile117
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2008 12:02 am »

The last line said "Dedicated to Dante Dimartino" or something

!!! I wonder what that means

Great episode, but I LOVED the ending  Smiley
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2008 12:03 am »

Question I have is when did Aang's doubts of killing Ozai come from? Where was his doubts during the Day Of Black Sun invasion.

Maybe he was also thinking of not killing him there either. Also, back in TSR, when Aang was being preachy about how violence isn't the answer and that question Zuko popped to Aang in the end basically answers your question.
punkpanda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look at my Baby!! 8 for 8!!

« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2008 12:03 am »

I am melon lord!! When I heard that i started cracking up!! It kind of scared me when Sokka cut the supposed "head" off!! I was like wow!, sokka got a little dark there!! Also, I felt bad for Toph, when she was trying to connect with Zuko and he kind of pushed her aside.

Done by the Great/Powerful/Awesome ATL
MY FUTURE HUSBAND
Liliedhe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Memoirs of a tiny alien robot geisha.

« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2008 01:00 am »

Ok... I don't know if I will really be able to seperate the episodes in my head... But I will try to give an opinion for each.

A slow start, which was nice - because after all the rushed things since TBR it was great to have breathing space. That the Gaang still wasn't comfortable to tell Zuko their plans was something of a letdown. I mean, it's not like Roku is joking normally... What possessed them to delay the confrontation? Ok, that was probably because of the play...

Zuko gave quite an amazing display of his skills when he attacked Aang: nicely foreshadowing the incredible fights waiting for us during the finale: Guys, we ain't seen nothing yet. One last moment of calm before the storm.

And Baby Ozai was cute. Very cute. To think he would grow into such a... monster... On the other hand it showed his humanity. That despite everything, he was born from a mother, and that mother probably loved him. (and spoiled him, but that's just my pet theory)

The end with Azula was ominous - I still think the chicken helmet was *chokes*, but Azula talking back to her father? It showed that she was never denied anything and couldn't deal with it.

Setting the stage nicely:
10/10

KedynCrow
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2008 01:50 am »

I missed what happened when Zuko tracked down that girl with the animal that tracks, and when I came back to the T.V I saw the four old guys from the white lotus, so I missed what happened there, though I assume it has to do with not being able to find Aang, and Zuko thought of finding his uncle (the only other person who could possibly stop the firelord)

I'd like to say I think the turtle was cool Cheesy and I thought I was watching a dream of Azula's when the FireLord said he was stepping down looool

And I was nervous in Zuko's flashback of the War room, that Zuko was going to Lash out about crushing the earth kingdom lool
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2008 03:56 am »

Hurray for DVR! I'm re-watching every episode so that I can finally post something in these threads Cheesy

This episode was a great way to enter into the finale.

The beach party was hilarious. Aang's Appa sand sculpture was really cool, and Sokka's Suki sand sculpture was hilarious. Oh, and Suki's swimsuit was hott.

It's so good that we finally got to see what happened in the War Meeting from episode 309. Ozai had quite the Megalomaniacal Overlord moment there. And we can see that Zuko's transformation into Iroh actually started right there, when he described the people of the Earth Kingdom using the same words Iroh used in "Bitter Work".

The training sequence was extraordinary. The animation was fluid and flawless, everything was perfect.

Baby Ozai was cute. He's still quite attractive. Too bad he's insane. And insanity runs in the family apparently, because we can already get a glimpse of Azula's descent into madness from her face when Ozai declares her the new Firelord. BTW, "Firelord Azula" sounds really really awesome.

Love Jun's reappearance too, and that the music playing at the tavern was the same music that The Flameos played in "The Headband".

All in all, an excellent introduction to the finale.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
BenderKatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

spirited away...

« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2008 04:39 am »

wow! just wow!
i loved the animation, it was excellent. and the music was awesome as well.
i liked the humor in this episode, it lightened the mood:)

Boomerang! You do come back!
Keeper of the katara and zuko hug
greenstarrz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2008 07:53 am »

Why did that Lion-Turtle island seem like a god? Like, even the Avatar doesn't know how to deprive anyone of their bending abilities completely. What was up with the pentagon shape thing? My first impression was it was The White Lotus' secret little lair. I wish that creature had some sort of history coz he seemed as old as Tui & La or Koh. I can't exactly tell which events belonged to which episode, since I watched it as one.
Oh and Jun!!! Her appearance was rather brief, but nevertheless cool anyhow. I knew Toph would idolize the likes of some tough girl-power bounty hunter! And Suki's side comment of "her skin's flawless" was ironic considering how brusque Jun is.
Azula & Ozai's convo was absolutely perfect. Much like how a spoiled-rotten brat would say to her father. Don't get me wrong though--I'm the foundress of the Azula fanclub Cheesy It did seem rather odd why Azula would suddenly be so paranoid with being Firelord when her position as princess still didn't promise much security from assassination. Why is she unraveling only now?
I have to re-watch the episodes separately since I'm quite confused with it. Huh
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008 07:57 am by greenstarrz » Logged
crazy4purple23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Still fresh and juicy

« Reply #44 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:36 am »

KATARA AND HARU!  Ahhh, that line had me laughing even after the scene was over.  Ohhhh Toph, why did you not have more screentime other S3 episodes?

However, no complaints now.  I'm still so happy that the finale was amazing Cheesy

I really liked this one, it started out light, which was nice.  Sokka's sand sculpture was so adorable; even if it did look like a blobby-blob monster.  Zuko was 100% right (for once) with that the Gaang shouldn't have been lounging around (nor should they have kept him out of their new plan).  Evil Melon-Lord Toph was awesome.  Toph was a little too good at being evil XD

The tense parts of this episode were good too.  Aang exploding at Sokka that it's not a joke was very fitting, in my opinion. He was right.  His and Momo's adventure was weird, the way he sleep-walked into the water o_O 

And then Zuko's Aang-tracking expertise.  That made me laugh pretty hard too.   

Ohhh, I think I'm going to go watch it again for the third time in a few minutes.  Maybe.  Cheesy

Keeper of Aang's Zuko-ish quote, Toph's *purple* tongue
Aang's *purple* visions of Katara & EIP!Uncle's treachery quote
My fic :]
Greev
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ant-home@gmx.de
« Reply #45 on: Jul 20, 2008 09:06 am »

i can only agree with the upper writers.
the episode was a good start for the final.
the run of the story was well choosen.
at first started to be childish,perhaps even a bit foolish [like kids,teenagers are],
then the gaang figured out the serious challenge they all have to make,especially aang,
who doesn´t want to kill anybody..even his biggest enemy.
and finally aang spirited away to a mysterious island.

furthermore the line showed the madness of the former fire lord ozai,now calls himself phoenix king and azula,who doesn´t want to be treaten like her brother..

in the end,the top score of 10 possible points
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008 09:09 am by Greev » Logged
NicoSchmiko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Jul 20, 2008 10:14 am »

Beach Party! Sand Castles! LOL. This was a great beginning for the movie. I loved Melon Lord Toph, that was great.  It was kinda dark when Aand didn't want to "kill" the Melon Lord, so Sokka cut off his head and said "there that is how it is down." Poor Aang. I also loved when Zuko attacked Aang the action and animation was great! Appa ate Momo! Sokka get out of the Bisons mouth! xD Oh, and who didn't love all the Sukka? 10/10!!

Board Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We are more than the sum of our parts...

« Reply #47 on: Jul 20, 2008 10:17 am »

Oh man, this was a perfect set-up to the finale.  One more scene of the Gaang having fun, (the sand sculptures were hilarious), and then a crazy-amazing fight scene with Aang and Zuko.

Toph hugging Zuko's arm was one of the greatest shots in the series, especially the expression on his face.  Poor Toph wanting a life-changing field trip too...

And the training sequence...first of all I loved how Suki just hopped over the flaming rock and Sokka fell behind.

But I have to say...the greatest Toph quote in the whole show may have been right there.

"Toph, watch where you're throwing!"
"I'm not Toph...I AM MELON LORD! Bwahahahahaha!"

My Dad, brother, and I were rolling on the floor during that scene.  She's got the maniacal ruler down. Cheesy  And her easy, "Sweetness," when they told her she got to the bad guy reminds me why Toph is the Chuck Norris of this fandom.  Cause she's amazing.

Sig and avvie by the amazing KF!
My Final Tribute to Avatar
They came.  They saw.  They fought.  They changed.  And so did we.
LightningBender51
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Looks like a bug, attacks like Azula.

« Reply #48 on: Jul 20, 2008 10:18 am »

One last Zuko/Aang fight before the series ends...thank you Mike and Bryan.

I loved the sand sculptures, especially the one of Suki, and the field trip of Toph/Zuko. (i was dying for one)

Most importantly, I loved the struggle aang had with killing the firelord. I really wanted to smack all of them when they all treated killing Ozai like nothing.

I still believe...Koh is coming soon.
And that Aang will lightningbend.
arasam22
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

if you need me, I'm probably in the sig game...

« Reply #49 on: Jul 20, 2008 10:35 am »

^I know!! they were all like... oh whatev just kill the firelord!! even all the past avatars said that... and that kinda made me angry.  of course, i knew he couldn't actually kill him, i mean, think of the message that would send to the CHILDREN... (lol heh got a new one for that thread!)

SRF: Jan 5-July 19, 2008
Requests open for the summer!
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: