May 22, 2017 09:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maivry's Art Conglomeration -- 6/20 Screenshot Redraws  (Read 109680 times)
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #200 on: Aug 11, 2012 01:17 am »

Sheesh, I haven't updated this in so long even though I've kept drawing.

Thanks guys! Cheesy I hope I'll explore Toph and Lin more in the future, but for now... Tokka Week just ended, so I need to update you guys on that!

I was pretty happy with my work this year. Thumbs and links below:

Bending the Rules

Parents

Bedtime

Duty

Lost

Loose Cannon

Moment of Truth

I always like to give you guys a little bonus rather than just linking stuff from dA/Tumblr, so you get to see some closeups! Believe it or not, this is still only half the size I worked at... u.u

Put all together it looks like a compilation of completely different artists. Except the noses. The noses never change.

Now I'm just going to ramble for a minute because I can.

If you hadn't noticed, I had a lot of fun with Tokka Week. Grin It was a great time to grow in my art. It affirmed some of the things I've come to know about myself as an artist: trying to do a good job with coloring makes me hate the art; consequently, working in monochrome is basically the most freeing thing ever; trying to be "messy" only ends up making me fix things and/or is barely noticeable *coughdutycough* and then if it is messy it's because I lost my patience and ended up hating it *coughbendingtherulescough*; doing a pencil sketch ahead of time makes things 10 TIMES BETTER; and... I just love working with these guys.

But some things were brand new. Never drew a kiss before. I found out I can draw convincing bubbles. Played with my wackiest expressions. After drawing dozens of hands, I've actually started to like drawing them. I almost finished the week on time. That, to me, is incredible, especially considering my overall satisfaction is higher than all the other shipping weeks I've done.

I guess what I want to say is that I've been encouraged. Little by little, I'm becoming a better artist. Grin Thanks for listening.

Pageclaim for... you guessed it, Tokka!

ArtFicsGraphics
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #201 on: Aug 11, 2012 01:48 am »

Wow this stuff is slick! Particularly like the bold simple colouring of that Duty one.
RuonJian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Icon by jadeite-icons

« Reply #202 on: Aug 11, 2012 04:14 pm »

Maivry these are awesome! I love how versatile your style is. I keep seeing your stuff on tumblr, but a lot of times I don't it's yours because you change it up so much. Smiley

I keep Korra's pout and Lin Beifong's stylish trench coat.
Zombie_Chinchilla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

See ya later...crocodile.

« Reply #203 on: Aug 11, 2012 09:00 pm »

Maivry you need to stop. All this perfect art for a perfect pairing is too much for me. But yeah I shall comment of each piece because they're all beautiful.

Bending the rules: Too cute! I love your interpretation of adult Tokka. I can definitely see Sokka being embarrassed about being asked out like that. Bonus points if it's immediately after a council meeting and everyone picks on him for it afterwards.

Parents: What I especially love about this is the color scheme. Teach me all your color secrets. But you do so good with the monocramatic color scheme, and this is just too gorgeous. I love the expressions, too. I can only imagine how much convincing it took to get Toph to dress up so nice for her parents.

Bedtime: Perfection. I love their daughter, she looks so cute. Just like her mother, in more ways than one. Wink Toph is just too cute, proud and all adorable. Ugh.

Duty: As much as I love your adult Tokka, their childhood is just too cute. And this is really something I can see Toph doing. Toph cockblocking Sukka is my favorite Toph. Your coloring is yet again just amazing. Different from your usual, but still amazing.

Lost:  This one I adore. The emotion is fantastic, and yet again your monochromatic color scheme is very well done. This needs to be written as a fanfic. The most emotionally heart-wrenching Tokka fanfic ever. ;_;

Loose canon: Probably my favorite of your Tokka week pieces. The semi-realism works so well with this, and their expressions are just so adorable and loving. And yet again the colors! I really just love everything about this piece.

Moment of truth: Aw, another classic blind joke. But this one is just a little different from all the others I've seen, and it's just as cute. Ah, Sokka, just wait for it. You'll figure it out eventually.

Maivry, I commend you for completing Tokka week in its entirety. It's definitely a challenge, I know, I tried and failed. But they're all gorgeous, and your details really highlight how gorgeous your pieces are.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry for the huuuge post.

The character in my icon is from the webcomic Paranatural.

A vacation, just the two of us.
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #204 on: Aug 12, 2012 05:53 am »

Far out brussel sprout, you are amazing. I'm floored by your ability to change your style for each pic and yet still make it your own. Guh, I'm in love with this. All of it.

Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The truth? About what?

« Reply #205 on: Aug 12, 2012 09:27 pm »

I find it amazing and inspirational that you have spawned so much gorgeous fanart in such a short span of time. I think style-wise, my two favorites are Duty and Lost, but I also really loved your Moment of Truth comic. Poor Sokka, he can't help it, it's just his face! Tongue

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #206 on: Aug 16, 2012 12:11 am »

Mr Grieves -- Thanks! I usually don't use bold colors in my drawings even though I adore color. It felt really good to expand for that one. Grin

RuonJian -- Aww! I just love surprising you guys, I guess. Cool

Zombie_Chinchilla -- ;_; Do not be sorry for your huge post. When people talk about "starving artists" they are talking about people who don't get feedback like what you give. Thank you so much for your kind words. ♥♥♥ My color secrets: difference and luminosity are my blending tools of the trade these days. I need to write that heart-wrenching fanfic. ;_; I've done other art that I need to fanfic, but I think this Lost one needs it the most.

Djinn -- Thank you! Haha, ability? This is just me going, "Why on earth can't you make up your mind and draw in one style?" but it's always nice to hear from outsiders that this is a strength rather than a weakness. Grin *Is own worst critic*

Aurora -- I really was surprised I managed to do it all mostly within the week! Having the ideas planned and sketched before it came time to render them did help tons in that department. Thank you, those are pretty much my favorites, too. Grin

---

I reached some milestones on deviantART around Tokka Week and decided to give away some art to my supporters. Smiley This was for the girl who gave me my 1000th comment:

Impersonation

There was actually a time when I contemplated shipping Tahorra as my main Korra ship.

Oh, and while I'm here there's some more of Sokka and Toph I haven't posted yet:

Click to fullview

Click to fullview

That last one was to test out the style for that comic I've been talking about. Grin I'm really excited about developing it. Here's hoping I don't derail the project by making the second half overly complex. :x

ArtFicsGraphics
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #207 on: Sep 29, 2012 09:07 pm »

My goodness this thread needs a bump. Where did you guys go? ¬.¬ My ego felt so deprived.

As usual I've got more Tokka on my Tumblr, but here are the highlights, starting with Bryan Konietzko's Bollywood Mako request:

Hopefully animation will be more readily possible in the future. Next I've got a gift for one of my dA watchers.

Firework

Continuing my tradition of participating in Maikka Fortnight for Loopy:

Source

This next one was actually a commission, but for some reason it was really easy to get into the characters' heads... Wink

Worst Field Trip Ever

Now, a couple highlights from Tumblrverse. In case you haven't heard (and why should you have?) October is going to be Tokka Month for the first time! And, yes, this is an insane thing, but I'm participating nonetheless. I'm not sure if I'll post the pieces here on a weekly basis or just when it's all done, but you can certainly follow along on a daily basis on Tumblr. So far I've got sketches, regular drawings, pencil, digital and inked art, a comic, an animation, some poetry, ATLA Tokka, Promise Tokka, young adult Tokka, TLOK Tokka, angst, nonsense, and plenty of humor waiting in the wings.

On another topic entirely, I'm moving forward with that comic project. It's on the back burner since school has started, and all, and I'm preparing for Tokka Month, but I've got a good foundation. Namely I've thumbnailed all the pages so I've got a really solid idea about pace, layout, and content. It'll be 100 pages, which you can see here in miniature form:

Hehehe.

Here are some fun tidbits from the thumbnailing process that are actually discernible:

I'd really like to start making the pages within the next month so I can launch the comic in November, but that really depends on how much I can get done while also keeping up with school. If I do successfully make some progress, are there any creative folks who'd like to be beta spotters? Like someone who could give critiques on the lineart and text so I can make sure the story is understandable and I'm not making stupid mistakes like leaving out Sokka's necklace or forgetting that Toph's blind.

ArtFicsGraphics
Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The truth? About what?

« Reply #208 on: Oct 22, 2012 01:30 pm »

You've been making really fancy stuff lately! Lots of praise for your various styles, and I like your overlapping speech bubbles trick in the last panel in your Maikka comic.

Wow, I can't figure out what's going on in your thumbnails, but the facial expressions are top-notch.

A 100-page fancomic? Now that is dedication. Cheesy

The blue writing on top looks like a teacher grading your work. Is it just you writing to your past self?

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #209 on: Oct 22, 2012 08:59 pm »

A RESPONSE! ;_; You have saved me from making three posts in a row.

Thaaanks. Grin It's been a lot of fun to explore different styles. Hopefully when I do the fancomic (which, I am sorry to say, will need to be postponed because goodness I need to get my bachelor's and I'm getting the sense they're not going to mix) I'll be able to do more fun tricks with speech bubbles and more.

As for the blue writing, it's mostly for your benefit. My notes to self are in pencil.

---

Naturally because of Tokka Month I've got more new art than you can shake a stick at. But for the sake of everyone's sanity I'll just post the Sunday highlights, which I've committed to do as more complete illustrations:

Day 7: Crime

They fight crime. Together.

Day 14: Versatile

Be my eyes when I can’t see
Through the dark and in midair
In storms of sand and at sea
With you I’ll go anywhere

Yeah, I've been trying poetry.

Day 21: Legend

Those of you who have perused and/or been on this thread for a long time may recall my Oma and Shu style piece from way back inspired by Schellibie... Yeah, so this is my actually-using-sumi-ink-and-compositional-know-how sequel.

Day 28: Fortress

This was for my birthday. It was a nice present to myself.

If you want to see the rest you can follow along on Tumblr. I'll be following up on the rest of the month when the final day is posted. Smiley You can browse through these and the other 27 prompts at your leisure here.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm by Maivry » Logged

ArtFicsGraphics
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #210 on: Dec 31, 2012 08:28 pm »

^ Those are really cool! I liked all of them.

Day 1, 6, 10, 14 and 21 are the best. Smiley

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #211 on: Dec 31, 2012 08:38 pm »

I personally like Day 21 the most.

I wonder why not more Avatarfans use that style in their fanart?

Sig made by Dorky.
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #212 on: Jan 05, 2013 01:02 pm »

Amazing as always, but I feel like Sokka should be in some kind of action in 7. I dunno it's just me.

21 looks amazing, but my personal fav is 28 x3

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #213 on: Jan 05, 2013 03:49 pm »

Hey guys, thanks for reviving my thread. ^_^

Noirsam -- I'd love to see more fanart like that, too, but it's somewhat of a tricky style! I tried it way back and it looked just awful because I didn't have the actual ink and brush necessary, nor any practice with them. I certainly do encourage others to give it a try, however.

Dorky -- I'm glad we're agreed on our favorites. Wink As for #7... well, I would have loved to, but it seemed a little odd with Sokka having a desk job, and all. =P

---

Lately I've been updating my old fanfics and giving them illustrations every week. I've got 8 out of 26 so far.

If you're interested in following along as I update, you can find the collection here.

I also offered some art to some people when I hit landmarks on dA and Tumblr, and they both requested Avatar art. Wink Works for me.

So first we've got a comic:

Crazy Talk

And then to ties things up, we've got some Tokka after Yakone's attack:

ArtFicsGraphics
King Kazma
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~~KSRF~~

« Reply #214 on: Jan 05, 2013 03:57 pm »

That last Tokka one is absolutely stunning. I love the coloring! It's a very powerful moment you managed to capture there.
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #215 on: Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm »

So, Mavry, neat fanarts there... me <B's most 7, 21 & 28.

And the Moon/Yukka/Toph one from your most recent post.

How is the comic project coming?

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #216 on: Jan 23, 2013 11:41 am »

These look amazing, especially the last one.

How long did it take you to do it?

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
Onu-Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tokkarian King and Equalist Emeritis

« Reply #217 on: Sep 21, 2013 12:44 pm »

Been so long since I was here. Well I know your still out there Maivry so my thoughts on the last few selections... hmm....

I really like Crime & Versatile from Tokka month.

Crime because the lines are so clean and bright and well it also reminds me of Law & Order which I have seen a lot of.

Versatile is just nice, I like the swap between color and monochromatic, plus the theme is a clever Tokka give and take balance. Very well done projects.

Varrick, Amon and Sokka, the only humans among the Titans..
Just hand over your Turtleducks and no Firebender will be harmed.
Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #218 on: Jul 11, 2014 04:09 am »

I'm back! I had a major artblock last year, so naturally this board was affected... I can't remember whether or not I PMed people who posted here (after all, it's been a year...) but for the sake of public posterity I'll respond now. xD

Rava -- I'll get to your question in a minute. Wink

Dorky -- Oh goodness, I don't know. I feel like it was a relatively fast for a color drawing. Maybe two or three hours?

Onu-Bender -- Thank you very much. ^_^ I imagine you too are still out there, right? x) And hopefully still in the mood for Tokka.

So, I haven't completely neglected art in all this time. The fanfic project did continue, and it's due to finish next week. You can check out the entire archive here! I'm excited. That was a huge bugbear for several months. Not the project itself, just my unrealistic expectations in relation to it. The quality of the art I did towards the end, not to mention the nostalgia and Tokkan warm fuzzies I get from rereading the fics, means that it's been worth it.

I also did Tokka Week 2013, but didn't finish... u.u At least the art turned out above average for the most part.

Shelter
Just start with the first one. It's probably my favorite one anyway.

BUT what I really came here to talk about is the answer to Rava's question: IT'S COMIC TIME!

Quick refresher/summary: I had this old fanfic set in the South Pole I never shared because it wasn't quite complete, but then I got the idea of turning it into a comic. Started doodling around with ideas. Got some feedback from some betatesters. Fixed up the story. Came up with thumbnails for 100 pages, and then... let it sit. Collecting dust. Because of college and other distractions, like Tokka Alphabet. But now all that's done, so what's stopping me? Nothing!

This is a sample of the rough sketch phase. I'm inclined to sum it up by repeating the phrase "I'm excited" over and over, but I'll spare you. I started penciling pages this month and I've been speeding through them, so I'm already almost halfway through that process. I probably won't be able to keep up the pace throughout the whole project, but if I can get the sketches done this month, man! It'll be hard to keep this dream from happening. I've been eager to share updates even though I decided to keep it all a bit hush hush until I'm closer to sharing finished pages. But you guys are more like family, so you get a sneak peek. Cool

Yes, there will be Tokka fluff, snow, braids, Appa, strong emotional reactions, boomerang, facepalming, and Tokka arguments expressed solely through individual letters. Okay, one of those things is a lie. And some of them are mostly incidental. But the rest really are quite true!

Goodness I'm excited.

ArtFicsGraphics
Zombie_Chinchilla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #219 on: Jul 11, 2014 07:17 am »

!!!

MAIVRY'S BACK!!

Ahhh, I hasn't realized how much I had missed your lovely Tokka sketches until I saw this. You're the only one who gets me my Tokka fix anymore, and I seriously appreciate it so much.

I love your Tokka week sketches, especially Shelter. Their expressions are just so genuine and perfect and totally adorable. Are you doing Tokka week this year? I'm all ready for it but I haven't seen any news about it. And man I looove your comic, I can't wait to see it!! It looks so fabulous.

Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #220 on: Jul 20, 2014 01:49 am »

Do you realize how easily you make my day with your feedback? Grin Grin Grin

They actually just released the prompts after you posted. Right now I'm undecided. If the inspiration strikes and I'm not swept away by some other project *coughIwonderwhatelsetherecouldbecough* then I'll try to at least participate. But right now I don't really have any ideas and I'm not so sure.

As for the comic... I finished penciling!

Okay, maybe not finished finished... I was out of practice at the start and got impatient towards the end, but I made the first big round of art and I have a finite list of things I want to fix before I move on to bringing things together digitally. Grin I'm really surprised with myself. I powered through pages faster than I would have thought possible.

Anywho, of course that means it's time for more sketch previews. x)

Obviously, fun will be had!

I don't think I'll have another update for a while... I'm going to do layouts before lineart, so that won't be terribly interesting by comparison. u.u

ArtFicsGraphics
Zombie_Chinchilla
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #221 on: Jul 20, 2014 04:39 pm »

Ooooh, those pages look so nice! I think you draw Toph and Sokka so well, and I really can't wait to see this in its entirety. Will you post all of them at once or page-by-page? I think the latter would be fun. I'll keep an eye out for it!!

Maivry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #222 on: Aug 09, 2014 12:49 am »

Zombie_Chinchilla -- For this thread I'll probably just point you to where I'll be uploading pages weekly. Production-wise I'm going in phases -- sketches all together, then formatting all together right now, next backgrounds or lineart... but I'll stagger the release itself. I'm going to set up a special Tumblog as the primary source and then DeviantART has a new feature where you can keep books/comics all together.

Okay, I did end up doing Tokka Week. Roll Eyes Imagine that.

But it was gooood this time, because I mostly did art I was proud of and I did them all each day with virtually no lateness. Grin So there's that.

Start here.

I spent a week slaving away on a bunch of Tokka art and then I spent an hour on this sketch and it's already gotten more attention.

Link

Like a lot more.

Idea courtesy of our very own Zombie_Chinchilla, which is only fitting. Let me know if you have any more winning ideas and maybe I'll put a little more time into them before I release them to the ravenous public. xD I'm into LOK right now, so that's good.

ArtFicsGraphics
Onu-Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tokkarian King and Equalist Emeritis

« Reply #223 on: Aug 11, 2014 09:26 pm »

I imagine you too are still out there, right? x) And hopefully still in the mood for Tokka.

I am though life has been hectic so I've been a bit of a lurker these days. Trying to Be here, at school, keeping track of people I know in multiple cities and finding time to myself makes it interesting. I actually am still working on my Republic City Tokka story when not writing my original ones....

Anyhow I liked that shot in the previous comic (top right panel labeled B ) the best How you did that face whip was perfect for that scene.

And if you need any ideas, I still haven't seen a picture of Sokka reading to Toph that I liked. Just sayin' Smiley Keep the good work coming.

Varrick, Amon and Sokka, the only humans among the Titans..
Just hand over your Turtleducks and no Firebender will be harmed.
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #224 on: Aug 14, 2014 08:53 pm »

The hair grooming RL could use a drabble to accompany it...

Same for the Tokka&porcupine one...

Good work as always!

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: