Jul 23, 2019 04:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 287 (49.5%)
9 - 109 (18.8%)
8 - 96 (16.6%)
7 - 55 (9.5%)
6 - 15 (2.6%)
5 - 7 (1.2%)
4 - 5 (0.9%)
3 - 3 (0.5%)
2 - 1 (0.2%)
1 - 2 (0.3%)
Total Voters: 561

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [215] The Tales of Ba Sing Se  (Read 75561 times)
thequenchiest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Aang isn't white

« Reply #425 on: Mar 21, 2009 12:03 pm »

the zoo was pretty cool.

I am a waterbending mudkip
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #426 on: Jul 01, 2009 09:27 pm »

Today they had a re-run of this episode. I paid more attention and saw some new things. It always confused me when Iroh went to see where he had his son near that tree. I did not know where that place was located.  I  finally remembered that his son had been killed in Ba Sing Se. His song was killed between the outer and inner wall of Ba Sing Se and Iroh then put him near that tree.

It is strange the actor, who was very sick, and was the voice for Iroh had this be his last episode. It seemed sort of fitting. Really strange.  Do some of you think this episode was especially made for him by the makers of the show.

This scene with Iroh talking to his son and Iroh singing to that kid was kind of sad.  Sad

Question did the sick actor actually manage to voice Iroh all the way through this episode or not.

And Momo looking for Appa was sad.  Sad  And this time noticed he had some of Appas fur.

Good thing we had Sokka for comic relief.   Grin

And we saw Jin kissing Zuko. Zuko seemed to like her but left her. So was this because he is a Firebender in hiding or was this because he has eyes only for Mai thus he felt like he was cheating on her.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 09:36 pm by system4000 » Logged

EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #427 on: Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm »

I finally remembered that his son had been killed in Ba Sing Se. His son was killed between the outer and inner wall of Ba Sing Se and Iroh then put him near that tree.

No he wasn't. The reason that Iroh went to that tree to place the makeshift grave there was because it was out of the city and perhaps in Iroh's greif-ridden head it was sorta similar to the tree and hillside that him and Lu Ten always used to play by in the Fire Nation. Look at these pictures here for the simliarities.

It wasn't the same because it would not make a lick of sense for Iroh to bury Lu Ten in the Earth Kingdom, and I'm sure that Ba Sing Se wouldn't really appect that sort of thing, since Iroh *did* ram through their outer wall after all. And a second reason that it isn't teh same place is because Iroh made a makeshift grave, the tree that him and Lu Ten always used to play by...had a pretty Fire Nation grave there. It isn't the same. Sorry. Grin

And we saw Jin kissing Zuko. Zuko seemed to like her but left her. So was this because he is a Firebender in hiding or was this because he has eyes only for Mai thus he felt like he was cheating on her.

The Zuko chapter of the Earth Kingdom chronicals book explained this. It had *nothing* to do with Mai. He really did like Jin, and was happy with her even if he didn't show it on the episode. But in relation to him leaving, it explained that he couldn't be in a relationship with the girl because he knew good and well that he would be living a lie...he wouldn't be truthful with her, and just couldn't be what she wanted...and it really bothered him inside about that. Tongue It was that he was Zuko...not Lee. Who she thought.

So yeah...no Mai at all. Just his turmoil acting up again. Tongue

Edit: Iroh's actor name is Mako. And yes, he did some of this episode. Do you remember the Earthbender soccor team that Iroh came across? When they broke the window he said a line about honor? That was Greg's voiceover work because they had to redub that scene. Same goes for The Earth King.

This wasn't Mako's last episode as far as I'm concerned, because he did the rest of season two. They just honored him with this episode because it came out way after he had died...so that's why they had the "In honor of Mako" thing. It wasn't made for him, they just changed it at the last minute to give a good...rememberence to a great man.

...Just thinking about that episode and Mako makes me sad. Sad *runs away*
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 10:09 pm by EndlessFlame55 » Logged

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #428 on: Jul 02, 2009 01:44 pm »

Mako's voice was also in the season two finale, he died after they recorded the season, but added Greg's voice in for a few lines.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
system4000
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Dance

« Reply #429 on: Jul 02, 2009 03:58 pm »

@EndlessFlame55 - Thanks for the info.. Grin  Like I said this episode kind of confused me.

McClintonforThree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #430 on: Jul 15, 2009 06:40 am »

Best episode ever. Jin should have been in more episodes...
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #431 on: Jul 15, 2009 06:42 am »

^ Yeah, I liked her too. It's a shame we never got to see her again. (I'm not counting The Awakening since that's only a brief glance.)

LemonLime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #432 on: Jul 18, 2009 06:16 pm »

This was definitely one of my favorites. I liked how it showed a little bit of everyone's real personality and character. Though I always have to skip the tale of Iroh and Momo because I can't watch those without tearing up Sad The tale of Zuko always makes me giggle.
I also liked how we got to see how Momo is also emotionally upset about Appa. In past episodes, its almost like they're siblings, fighting or teasing each other. But they really have a great bond with each other *sniff sniff* Smiley

TokoToTheEnd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm a star

« Reply #433 on: Jul 18, 2009 06:23 pm »

I like Jin too. And I think she looks better with the two braids.

I like the Tales of Momo. It was sad to see him so upset over Appa and it added some depth to the relationship between the two non-human members of the Gaang. Also we saw how it effected Aang, so why not Momo too.

Not all what I seem to be
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #434 on: Jul 18, 2009 06:24 pm »

Yeah, the Momo one never got me the first time I watched it but now it makes me tear up(doesn't take much for me anyway, but still).  Their bond is very touching.  Aww at the little fur bracelet.
Uzelxa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #435 on: Jul 20, 2009 05:08 pm »

This one of my most favorite episodes.  I still tear up at the end of Iroh's tale and Momo's tale.
facestealer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Premature Senioritis Sufferer

« Reply #436 on: Jul 21, 2009 05:39 am »

No he wasn't. The reason that Iroh went to that tree to place the makeshift grave there was because it was out of the city and perhaps in Iroh's greif-ridden head it was sorta similar to the tree and hillside that him and Lu Ten always used to play by in the Fire Nation. Look at these pictures here for the simliarities.

It's also the tree in his dream in "Bitter Work":

"Some are born great, some acheve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
-Shakespere's Twelth Night

Keeper of The Good Prison Chamber Which Was Once Bad
Uzelxa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #437 on: Aug 24, 2009 06:51 pm »

How/when did Momo get the clump of Appa's fur? I don't remember him having it in any other episode before or after. 
ZukoxKataraxForever
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice.

« Reply #438 on: Apr 19, 2010 06:36 pm »

Ohmygosh, this is one of my favorite episodes.
Irohs skecth was beautiful. There were tears in my eyes. Cry

Aangs was funny and cute.

Tophs and Kataras was sweet and charming.

Momos was so sad. Sad Its so cute that he misses Appa.

And Zukos was REALLY awkward, but in a funny way. Its so weird to see him going in a date...like, whoa. Haha. And then he returned the kiss! Gasp! That was so cute ^_^ But sad that he was so confused.

10/10! Smiley

"The Fire Nation took my mother away from me!"
"I'm sorry. That's something we both have in common."
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #439 on: Jun 05, 2010 07:30 pm »

positives:
-Iroh celebrating Lu Ten's birthday
-Iroh's singing
-the painting of Lu Ten
-Zuko's hilarious (and cute) date with Jin Grin
-the Cabbage Merchant's last appearance Cry
-Katara and Toph bonding
-Momo missing Appa
-Sokka's poetry

negatives:
-Aang's story is soooo boring...I don't think I even liked it the first time I watched it. Undecided
-overall pointless/boring episode
-some of the humor was a bit 'meh'

rating: 7

I loved this episode the first time I saw it on DVD (I missed its original airing and reruns), but it gets old really fast.  I'm glad they made this episode because it's a nice break from all the plot, which season 2 has a lot of.  But overall, it's kind of boring and pointless.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am by Mooseboy018 » Logged

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Hazel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #440 on: Jun 07, 2010 06:57 pm »

I loved all the short little vignettes in this. Sokka's was great just because it was pretty hilarious. Zuko's date was particularly cute and a little embarrassing to watch. Iroh's short was moving, it makes me wanna cry. Momo's also moved me personally because it was so sweet that he missed Appa and searched for him. <3

I know that the episode didn't advance the plot very much, but I don't care. It gave a bunch of interesting little glimpses into the time everyone spent in Ba Sing Se, and for that, I loved it.
FlameOfZuko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Does not ironic mean 'made entirely of iron?' :o

« Reply #441 on: Jun 07, 2010 09:43 pm »

rating: 6

Huh

By the large amount of positives and few amount of negatives you've listed, I would really think you would've given it a higher score.

For me, this was actually one of my favorite episodes of Season 2, and not every episode I think, needs to be about progressing the plot. Sometimes it's worth just to see our favorite characters be themselves for a moment.

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #442 on: Jun 08, 2010 12:41 am »

*fixed*

I actually meant to give it a 6.5. Wink

I like this episode, but all the little good things don't make it good enough to have a higher score.  Because overall, it's just kind of meh.  We get plenty of episodes with great character moments and plot (not enough in season 3 though Tongue).

my Last Airbender comics
MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #443 on: Jun 12, 2010 11:10 am »

Topk/Katara: This one was sweet, and it was good to see them bonding. The girls on the bridge were painful to watch...that is all too familiar for me, I know what Toph is feeling there. Nice to see Miss Untouchable show a little feeling.  Sad

Aang: Ugh, this one was kinda boring. I guess it shows how he's becoming a problem-solver, but it was sorta...two steps forward, one step back. I mean, really, Aang, just RELEASE THEM ALL? As a Zoo volunteer, this probably should have appealed to me a bit more, but all I could think about at the end was "Nice Earthbending Aang, but couldn't you have made the walls a LITTLE BIT HIGHER?" The Tigerdillos were fantastic though. Also, I do appreciate how they show Zookeepers as caring and kind there in the beginning. FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS.

Sokka: Goofy, random, and pointless. Though I thought this one was funny, I'd have liked to have seen something else with Sokka.

Iroh: I tear up just THINKING about The Tales of Iroh. This is the best part of the episode, the most emotional part of the series. I cried when I saw it, flat out cried, and I -never- cry. Brilliant dedication for an amazing actor. Bravo.

Zuko: Y'know, I liked Jin a lot. For someone who only appears in two episodes, she has a lot of character. I'd like to have seen more of her. Zuko's awkward little date is great. I guess the ability to be charming doesn't run in the family, that or Iroh got all of it so there was none to spare for Zuko or Azula.  Tongue

Momo: This one really didn't affect me the first time I saw it. It took a second watch for the relationship of Appa and Momo to really hit me. It didn't bring out tears (Maybe because I'm all out of them after The Tales of Iroh.), but it is very sad.

10/10, and the Tales of Iroh give it 8 of that 10.

Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #444 on: Jun 12, 2010 09:57 pm »

"Nice Earthbending Aang, but couldn't you have made the walls a LITTLE BIT HIGHER?"

That has always really bugged me too. Cheesy

my Last Airbender comics
Brick
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #445 on: Jun 28, 2010 01:22 am »

Wow, Iroh's voice....It sounded so different at times...
OMG...I can't stop crying!!!!! That scene was so touching

I love that scene, I watched it four times today and cried every single time. You can tell that Mako's apprentice used real emotion for that song. I think that that's what gets to me.
I apologize, I was told he died halfway through this episode and his apprentice took over but upon checking the credits he was in fact the actor for this episode.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010 01:38 am by Brick » Logged
Orchid_sky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #446 on: Jun 28, 2010 08:36 pm »

I think out of all of the tales, my favorites where Toph and Katara's, Iroh's, and maybe Zuko's.

I loved Katara and Toph in this one. It really showed them bonding. I loved when Katara told Toph she was pretty...I always did think Toph was beautiful  Smiley

Zuko's was awesome. I loved how Iroh answered Jin instead of Zuko answering--you know Zuko would've never said yes Smiley He needs encouragement. I loved Jin, she was pretty perfect for Zuko. She didn't take his emo-ness too seriously...if she did, the date wouldn't been as good. And I thought in the beginning, his hair was hilarious Cheesy I love that Iroh took ten minutes doing his hair for his date... Grin
And the ending was sweet. I loved when he slammed the door at Iroh's asking how his date went, and then he opened it up, and said "It was nice"... I was smiling so hugely. Cheesy That was supperr adorable Smiley He actually was showing his positive feelings for once.

And Iroh's... man. I cried...Iroh has always been one of my very favorite characters, and one of the ones most dear to me, along with Sokka, Appa, Katara, Toph..and, of course, Zuko. (I love Aang too, very much, but the characters I listed, I adore  Grin Anyway, this made me almost want to sob... I didn't, but hearing him sing the song about the soldier, and his son...after he had sang it to the crying little boy, and now it's revealed he was preparing for his dead son's birthday...I mean, when you think about the fact that his son's death was what had turned everything around for Iroh, it's just so so Sad And the fact that Mako died....I miss Mako. Greg Baldwin was good as UNcle, but it's nearly impossible to fill Mako's shoes. He was, and always will be the best Cheesy I loved this episode overall, though. 8/10. Oh, and Sokka's part deserves an honorable mention :DD Love haikus. Sokka is priceless Grin
Sokka 123
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #447 on: Jul 04, 2010 12:01 am »

it was so funny
PiElord
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Team Optimism 團隊樂觀

« Reply #448 on: Jul 04, 2010 12:06 am »

My exact post from Distant Horizons:
Iroh's.

And not just because he's my favorite character!

I mean, everything about it was just perfect. It showed Iroh in his element (helping others through wisdom) and then it showed a very vulnerable side of him. The end almost brings me to tears, both for Lu Ten and Mako.

"Leaves from the vine,
Falling, so slowly.
Like fragile tiny shells,
Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy,
Come marching home.
Brave little soldier boy...
Comes marching home."

Iroh singing that in tears just...it's perfect. Beautiful.

"Can you imagine what I could do, if I would do all I can?"
- Sun Tzu
The Village of Anquan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #449 on: Jul 05, 2010 04:49 pm »

I absolutely love this episode! I cried a little during Iroh's part, and Momo's part. Yeah I even cried after it said in memory of Mako. This cartoon makes me cry a lot now that I think of it! But it is soo amazing and epic how can I not?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: