Apr 30, 2017 09:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 86 (28.5%)
9 - 54 (17.9%)
8 - 70 (23.2%)
7 - 44 (14.6%)
6 - 16 (5.3%)
5 - 11 (3.6%)
4 - 6 (2%)
3 - 7 (2.3%)
2 - 1 (0.3%)
1 - 7 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 293

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [110] Jet  (Read 31658 times)
storytime7
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #300 on: Mar 13, 2011 09:41 pm »

It was okay. It could've been better, but it wasn't bad.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #301 on: Mar 14, 2011 05:07 pm »

I liked this episode, for once Sokka actually gets serious, lol.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #302 on: Mar 14, 2011 06:04 pm »

^That's why I liked it; great counter-balance for Katara's role in "Imprisoned."

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
Mystic_Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Fire Power!

« Reply #303 on: Mar 31, 2011 09:26 am »

^I agree it was a great counter-balance.

Water, Earth, Fire and Air - Choose your element, choose your destiny...
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2011 05:14 pm »

nothing can beat an episode with the freedom fighters in it 8D

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #305 on: Jun 25, 2011 04:34 am »

Ep. 109 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Ladies and Gentlemen...Jet

"woooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooo!"

Y'know, there is so much I should absolutely adore about this episode.  Yeah, it's filler, but it's still standard Avatar character building filler which makes sense for a show on its first season aaaand it's Sokka who's being developed here - the unsung hero of the group in my quite unhumble opinion.  I should talk about him for a second as he's the reason this episode really doesn't work.

There's a lot about Sokka that I quickly latched onto when I started watching the show and most of his traits I liked were most prevalent in season 1 and were downright eliminated by season 3...but we'll get to that eventually won't we?  Anyway, the point is, it was nice to see the 'comedy relief' character who was portrayed so clearly as level-headed, rational and most importantly whose humor was based on dry observational wit.  The problem is that he was clearly the comedy relief and such a role required him to be the butt of the joke rather than be in on it, leading to behavior that was inconsistent at best and schizophrenic at worst.

A perfect example starts this episode off, with Sokka pointing out they should hoof it on the ground when they found out they're in Fire Nation territory.  His reasons are perfectly sensible and blatantly obvious - Appa is easy to spot in the air...duh! - but instead of arguing that's it's simple common sense or asking why Aang and Katara suddenly put on their derp hats, he justifies his reasoning by saying his 'instincts' are telling him to do it and because he's the leader, neither of which have anything to do with the issue and just make him look like an idiot.

It's made even worse when they do as Sokka says - y'know...the sensible course of action - and break the rules of logic over their knee in order to humiliate Sokka.  Somehow they stumble right into a Fire Nation camp containing a fully armored garrison of men who were apparently making no noise at all.  The men are equally surprised, so apparently all it takes to mask Katara's b****ing at Sokka is one piece of shrubbery?  I'd mention the ten ton bison in the room right now, except he's suddenly disappeared and you don't see him again till the very end of the episode.  No explanation is ever given.

So then our anti-hero appears by straight up murdering one of the dudes.

Knocked out my ass!  The sound that preceded this image was that of an arrow being embedded into his back.

Now Jet actually works as a compelling character, a kid who's seen so much of the horror of war that it's literally broken him.  Not his spirit mind, but his perceptions.  That's compelling all on it's own and to see how his charisma allows others to blind themselves to his insanity really makes for a fantastic opportunity that the show does its best to make the most of.  The problem here is with the voice actor, who doesn't or simply can't create the performance necessary to really bring out the unhinged aspect of this character's psyche.  He just comes off as an angry kid.  It's only through his actions and dialogue that we get that he's insane.  A real shame.

At least the animation is up to snuff.  Hell it is downright gorgeous.  The color work in this episode is phenomenal and the third act battle would bring a tear to Yuen Woo-ping.  Don't hurt that the entirety of Jet's gang - Jet included - were designed by Mr. Ryu Ki Hyun.

How would you know he designed...oh wait, I see 'em now...

But as beautiful as it all is, don't change the core problem behind it and the character it's focused on.  The problem being the show wants to have its cake and eat it too.  They want Sokka to be the smart young man we can see figuring this guy out before anyone else and using simple rational thinking to save the day, but they also want him to be the brash assclown who's own idiocy causes him pain while we point and laugh.  Sokka will always end up being torn between the two roles he's forced to play in this show, the sap and the unsung hero.  I wish I could say the latter wins out.

Great, now I'm depressed...I hope the next ep cheers me up.

Oh...

Oh god...

Ep. 111 review.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011 02:43 am by Ubern00b » Logged

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #306 on: Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm »

Anyway, the point is, it was nice to see the 'comedy relief' character who was portrayed so clearly as level-headed, rational and most importantly whose humor was based on dry observational wit.  The problem is that he was clearly the comedy relief and such a role required him to be the butt of the joke rather than be in on it, leading to behavior that was inconsistent at best and schizophrenic at worst.

You know, it is possible to be absolutely brilliant in some ways only to be the biggest dope in the world in other ways.  Sokka's behavior is nothing compared to some of the guys listed in the "Real Life" tab on the TV Tropes page here...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BunnyEarsLawyer

Truth really is stranger than fiction, isn't it?

Now Jet actually works as a compelling character, a kid who's seen so much of the horror of war that it's literally broken him.  Not his spirit mind, but his perceptions.  That's compelling all on it's own and to see how his charisma allows others to blind themselves to his insanity really makes for a fantastic opportunity that the show does its best to make the most of.  The problem here is with the voice actor, who doesn't or simply can't create the performance necessary to really bring out the unhinged aspect of this character's psyche.  He just comes off as an angry kid.

Hmm...are you sure about that?  It's possible he's insane in some ways, sure, but I'm not sure that's all there was behind his actions.  I mean, he had enough sense in his head that he didn't tell his other comrades that their plan involved killing innocent Earth Nation civilians as well as the Fire Nation, and even lists saving the Earth Nation villagers as one of his priorities near the beginning of the Episode when this obviously wasn't the case.  He also lies about how the mugging of the old Fire Nation citizen went down to Katara, inventing a story about how he had a poisoned dagger to fool Katara when this wasn't the case.

Of course, he justifies this by saying that they don't know the cost of war and all of that, and tries to comfort Katara when she finds out about what he's really planning, but that could also just be him relying on his charisma and not actually caring one bit about Katara or Aang.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and if I understand, there's another Jet Episode coming up in the future that'll give me another look at the character, but, I'm just saying, I'm not sold on the insanity angle just yet.  Remember, all we know is that Jet saw his mother die at the age of 8.  We have plenty of Holocaust survivors and survivors of other such horrors who've had to sit through all that and more, and you don't see them going crazy the way Jet did, do you?  Sure, it's likely that they'd have a similar sort of deap-seated loathing for the people responsible, but not to the point where they're willing to knowingly kill innocent people just to get back at them like Jet was.  Unless of course there's some prominent examples that I'm missing....

They want Sokka to be the smart young man we can see figuring this guy out before anyone else and using simple rational thinking to save the day, but they also want him to be the brash assclown who's own idiocy causes him pain while we point and laugh.

But Sokka is impatient, he's always been that way, from what I can tell at least.  He has brilliant ideas and observations, but he's very poor at explaining it, and because of his somewhat inflated ego, he gets overly defensive when challenged.  I think that's how he gets stuck between these two roles, so I don't see what's not making sense here.  But then, I've only seen bits and pieces of most Episodes past Season 1, so maybe I'm the one missing something.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2011 10:19 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #307 on: Jun 25, 2011 10:18 pm »

You know, it is possible to be absolutely brilliant in some ways only to be the biggest dope in the world in other ways.

It's possible, yes.  They didn't pull it off and the trope example provided was not the trope they were attempting.  The bunny eared lawyer concept requires a consistent behavioral pattern that Sokka did not exhibit.

Hmm...are you sure about that?  It's possible he's insane in some ways, sure, but I'm not sure that's all there was behind his actions.

"Insane in some ways" is still insane.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2011 10:33 pm by Ubern00b » Logged

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #308 on: Jun 25, 2011 10:28 pm »

It's possible, yes.  They didn't pull it off and the trope example provided was not the trope they were attempting.  The bunny eared lawyer concept requires a consistent behavioral pattern that Sokka didn't not exhibit.

I see.  I guess I'll just have to watch later in the series to see what you mean.  Very nice review by the way.  These seem to always be getting better and better.

"Insane in some ways" is still insane.

Well, what I mean is, he's not crazy enough that he shouldn't be held accountable for his actions.  "Insane", to me, means that whatever you do isn't something you can help, you do things without any ability to comprehend right from wrong.  I'm just not convinced that that was the case with Jet, especially since all we know for sure is that he saw his mother killed at the age of 8.  But, I suppose that could just be because of the voice actor, as you say,
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2011 10:30 pm by Fionordequester » Logged
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #309 on: Jun 26, 2011 02:47 pm »

Jet never did strike me as insane. He's a typical example of a Well-Intentioned Extremist, and one who saw the error of his ways at that. He's a bit emotionally unstable, I'll give you that, but there's nothing to suggest that he has any kind of mental disability, or more issues than could be expected from someone with his back story.

Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #310 on: Jul 06, 2011 06:48 pm »

I think it would be very interesting to see zuko and Iroh run into Jet (although to be honest, I sthink it would be interesting to see Zuko and Iroh run into anybody; or just to see them hanging aound, drinking tea). If they met now, I think  Jet & Co. will mistake them for Earthnation refugees at first, and try to recruit them to their cause.  A comparison with Jet's ethos might help Zuko put his own system of values into perspective.

...lol. I'm confused, was this posted after the season 2 finale?
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #311 on: Jul 06, 2011 07:04 pm »

^It was before they met.  Strange coincidence.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #312 on: Jul 06, 2011 07:08 pm »

Maybe that was Mike and Bryan :O
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #313 on: Jul 10, 2011 04:32 pm »

There's a lot about Sokka that I quickly latched onto when I started watching the show and most of his traits I liked were most prevalent in season 1 and were downright eliminated by season 3...but we'll get to that eventually won't we?  Anyway, the point is, it was nice to see the 'comedy relief' character who was portrayed so clearly as level-headed, rational and most importantly whose humor was based on dry observational wit.  The problem is that he was clearly the comedy relief and such a role required him to be the butt of the joke rather than be in on it, leading to behavior that was inconsistent at best and schizophrenic at worst.

A perfect example starts this episode off, with Sokka pointing out they should hoof it on the ground when they found out they're in Fire Nation territory.  His reasons are perfectly sensible and blatantly obvious - Appa is easy to spot in the air...duh! - but instead of arguing that's it's simple common sense or asking why Aang and Katara suddenly put on their derp hats, he justifies his reasoning by saying his 'instincts' are telling him to do it and because he's the leader, neither of which have anything to do with the issue and just make him look like an idiot.

It's made even worse when they do as Sokka says - y'know...the sensible course of action - and break the rules of logic over their knee in order to humiliate Sokka.  Somehow they stumble right into a Fire Nation camp containing a fully armored garrison of men who were apparently making no noise at all.  The men are equally surprised, so apparently all it takes to mask Katara's b****ing at Sokka is one piece of shrubbery?  I'd mention the ten ton bison in the room right now, except he's suddenly disappeared and you don't see him again till the very end of the episode.  No explanation is ever given.

I've long agreed about the little plot-hole, there, but I don't think it undermines the message of Sokka's character that his reasonable and logical plans go wrong for stupid reasons. That's why I identify with him; that's what life is all about.

Anyway, question for all the fans of the Freedom Fighters- how many people (kids, teens, guests) do you think are in the FF treehouse village? There aren't many pictured in this scene, but their treehouses give the impression of a good size.

So, 50?

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #314 on: Jul 10, 2011 05:15 pm »

I always just thought the character's Jet introduced us to were all of the Freedom Fighters.  Otherwise, Jet would've had way more characters to introduce, right?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #315 on: Jul 10, 2011 05:16 pm »

Of the fighters, sure, but I'm just wondering how many lil'orphans they had running around up there.

I mean, we never met this guy:

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #316 on: Jul 10, 2011 05:24 pm »

Oh...huh, that's right....wow, so there are a bunch of impressionable little kids hanging out with a charismatic hero figure who leads his followers to kill innocent people in order to kill "the enemy"...

Jee, that's not scary at all Lips sealed
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #317 on: Jul 10, 2011 10:36 pm »

So, 50?

I consider this to be a decent estimate.  I'm even tempted to say there could be less. 

I mean, there's no adults.  So all the children they have in the group are war orphans who had nowhere else to go.  They were either found by the Freedom Fighters or found the Hideout themselves, and it's not like the Freedom Fighters are global.  There can't be too many of them.  Especially considering the closest village to the Hideout we've seen isn't destroyed until the Freedom Fighters do so.  Even if some of the citizens fought back when the Fire Nation came, I can't imagine there being a substantial amount of children orphaned there.  And even if they were orphaned, they have no reason to leave. 

If the Freedom Fighters were on the move when they picked all those kids up, you'd think there'd be more than six main fighters. 

So most of the people in the group, save for the main ones, probably came from surrounding areas or Fire Nation camps they raided.  I can't see them scrounging up very many, so I'd say fifty max.   

Graphics by Pebs. :3
Keeper of Sozin and Roku's matching beards and the gap in Meng's teeth. <3
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #318 on: Jul 11, 2011 04:29 am »

^ I agree there are probably less. We didn't see that many treehouses.

I'd say 20-30 is a decent estimate.

RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smellerbee's twin and first ever Borra shipper~

« Reply #319 on: Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am »

^I think that's what's widely assumed. I agree with this number.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
ME GUSTA KORRA NATION: http://sot.ag/MzkzMjE1/
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #320 on: Jul 11, 2011 09:42 pm »

Yeah, I think that sounds better than 50. There weren't that many running around in the background.

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #321 on: Jul 25, 2011 01:29 am »

I've long agreed about the little plot-hole, there, but I don't think it undermines the message of Sokka's character that his reasonable and logical plans go wrong for stupid reasons. That's why I identify with him; that's what life is all about.

I never did address this and I should.  Yeah, life is random and unpredictable and the best laid plans of mice and men etc., but that's not what happened here.  This was not presented as a random happenstance, but as a direct consequence of his actions for the purpose of demeaning him.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #322 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:09 pm »

Honestly, I don't think those two are mutually exclusive. Part of the comedy surrounding Sokka is that his ideas, even the good ones, are going to have the 1/1000 chance of disaster happen. Especially when his pride is at stake.

Actually, the only exceptions I can think of are whenever Katara compliments the idea ahead of time. She's a good barometer for how the plot is going to treat him. Of course, this leads to questions of how much of a Writer's Pet Katara is, which I think varies by episode.

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #323 on: Jul 25, 2011 06:40 pm »

Honestly, I don't think those two are mutually exclusive. Part of the comedy surrounding Sokka is that his ideas, even the good ones, are going to have the 1/1000 chance of disaster happen. Especially when his pride is at stake.

Exactly, and that weakens him as a character.

Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #324 on: Sep 26, 2013 12:36 am »

Well, Sokka's shown to be a decent and honorable guy before this, so it's not like any of this is out of left field.  I just think he lends himself to being the Butt Monkey every so often. None of his decisions are logically flawed, they just blow up in his face once in a while. 

At any rate, I rather enjoyed this episode, really because of SokkaIt's here where we start to see why he's going to be an invaluable member of the group.  When the chips are down, he's the one who's going to think on his feet and save everyone's asses.  When the dam actually blew up, I couldn' believe that they actually went there.  But yeah, Sokka comes in, evacuates the whole town, and faith in his instincts is restored.  I think it's here where Katara and Aang really start to see what he brings to the group.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: