Jun 29, 2017 03:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 86 (28.5%)
9 - 54 (17.9%)
8 - 70 (23.2%)
7 - 44 (14.6%)
6 - 16 (5.3%)
5 - 11 (3.6%)
4 - 6 (2%)
3 - 7 (2.3%)
2 - 1 (0.3%)
1 - 7 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 293

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [110] Jet  (Read 31919 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 10:00 am »

Official Description: Our heroes' friendship is tested when they meet Jet, a charismatic teenager leading a band of rebels who are fighting against the Fire Nation.
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2006 10:12 pm »

I hated that little...yeah.  Even from the start, he bugged me.
Kara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2006 06:33 pm »

I'm not a Jet fan either, and called the fact that he would end up using Aang and Katara from the start. I had a lot of sympathy for Sokka in this episode. He's been overprotective before, but in this case his instincts were right on.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that we may see Jet again in a future episode. In what context, I wonder? Could Katara forgive him for misleading her? Or could Sokka? I personally can't see Jet being very sorry for his actions.
Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2006 06:53 pm »

I think it would be very interesting to see zuko and Iroh run into Jet (although to be honest, I sthink it would be interesting to see Zuko and Iroh run into anybody; or just to see them hanging aound, drinking tea). If they met now, I think  Jet & Co. will mistake them for Earthnation refugees at first, and try to recruit them to their cause.  A comparison with Jet's ethos might help Zuko put his own system of values into perspective.

Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2006 01:37 am »

Hmmmm...interesting thought.  Although I'd personally just like to see Zuko squash that little creep.
peppertree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Orange-kun

akatsuki.evil@hotmail.com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2006 07:21 pm »

[post edited to remove spoilers from upcoming episodes]

Pepper - please do not post spoilers in episode discussion strings.

Acastus
ASN Management
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006 07:42 pm by Acastus » Logged

Whoever made my icons is creative & brilliant.
Jeremiah Gottwald got baked by Kallen... Baked orange...

Visit my Deviantart!! link
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2006 09:34 pm »

Wow this episode kind of annoyed me somehow. I dunno if it was the music or what... it just did. o_O

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2006 06:40 pm »

This episode for me is vastly under rated, and doesnt deserve the low ratings it usually gets.
Okay so it does not have Zuko in it, big deal as its good to get away from the Zuko plot every so often.
Now some complained that Katara was out of character here, but you have to remember that jet was a master manipulator and looked for a weakness in Katars just to get his plans into motion, he knew she was a waterbender and he took full advantage on it.
Plus this was a good episode for Sokka, this episode marks one of the few times that Sokka is not depicted as a total fool.

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2006 06:48 pm »

Oh yeah it doesn't have zuko in it! I just remembered that! o_O

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2006 07:12 pm »

well the thing is that i think the best part about season one is that they utilized Zuko pretty well, making him appear when it was nessasary to the storyline.
season two can be seen as an example on why conserving zuko for the real important moments was a good idea to begin with as I feel most of the zyuko moments in season two are pretty filler ish

Kit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Artificial Firebender

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2006 01:32 am »

I'm a Zuko fan, but despite his absence from thsi ep, "Jet" was pretty much the reason why I purchased the vol. 3 DVD.  (And "The Storm.") 

This was one of the first episodes that just stuck in my head.  I find Jet interesting, but from an analytical perspective.  After seeing Jet and his Freedom Fighters, I was reminded of a hybrid Robin Hood/Peter Pan and the Lost Boys group.  However, as the show went on, Jet's true motives became more clear.  I really like the way it was phrased in Jet's info page on this site: "It would appear he justifies baser actions like lying, bullying harmless civilians, and even the possibility of murder with the 'noble' aim of driving the Fire Nation from his forest."  I also have a bit of a fascination with con artists, (Frank Abaganale's story in book and film, Catch Me If You Can, plus a recent comic strip arc featuring a lottery scam aimed at certain vulnerable individuals).  Jet is con man, yet instead of tricking people for monetary gain, he'll play his smooth operator act for more vindictive reasons. 

And like someone mentioned above, this episodes was also a great boost for Sokka.  For once, he drops his clown act (for the most part) and actually sees through Jet and tries to stop him.   

"Fire is a killer,
but sometimes what's left behind
can grow better than the generation before
if given the chance
."
Proffesor zei
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thnx for the sig & avvie, Maricelita!!^^

humbert_bleach@hotmail.com ProfessorZei twister_narnian@yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2006 01:06 pm »

this episode is the one that disgusts me from the other ones

Ammm I lOve Bleach!! n_n Keeper of teh GAang's BaSingSe house, Toph's burp, Katara's glass of punch & Aang's freestyle dance.
someone198
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2006 02:43 pm »

A lot of people talk about Jet and Zuko like they're similar, but aside from their skills withdual weapons, they strike me as opposites.
- Zuko was scarred and punished because he was the only one who didn't believe in sacrificing a division of soldiers for a greater victory, but Jet unquestionably believes "We can't win without making some sacrifices."
- Zuko's quiet and prefers to live and work alone, but Jet likes being the center of attention and leading a group of followers.
Different personalities and evenly matched skills would probably make for a very interesting clash.
Om
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2006 01:58 pm »

If you ask me Jets actions are totally justifiable in a time of war.

Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2006 03:11 pm »

I find Jet's actions unjustifiable at any time, and I'm very glad the makers of Avatar and (apparently) most of the viewing public agree.

A lot of people talk about Jet and Zuko like they're similar, but aside from their skills withdual weapons, they strike me as opposites.
- Zuko was scarred and punished because he was the only one who didn't believe in sacrificing a division of soldiers for a greater victory, but Jet unquestionably believes "We can't win without making some sacrifices."
- Zuko's quiet and prefers to live and work alone, but Jet likes being the center of attention and leading a group of followers.
Different personalities and evenly matched skills would probably make for a very interesting clash.

That's true at the moment, but remember, at several points in season one Zuko expresses his aim to be a good leader. That is in fact the reason he gives Iroh for his desire to sit in on the council meeting - to learn so he can become a wise ruler. That's why I think he would benefit from seeing Jet's leadership style and analyzing it.

Darmani
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Maigano
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2006 03:15 pm »

Killing civilians pre-emptively is wrong in war.  See the current hubub in Israel despire a number of humane procedures.  Yes the Gaang tends to be a little too bloodless to be realistic however Jet's someone who shouldn't be where he is. He's not running a real outfit he's running a cult.  He scammed Aang and Katara.  If he *really* believed without a doubt in what he was doing he would have been upfront about his intentions and simply thought his ways would be enough (see General Fong, his was a very valid method but it was still wrong the question that and this episode raises is how much should/could you go to end tyranny and the answer isn't cut and dry for either end.).

Now as for what he was doing before, that was intelligent and nice but its clear Jet's playing his group so they keep close, view others with distrust and in general is being all into tribalism.  Aang can only oppose Jet by finding another one the one Sokka demonstrated which was work with people.  Giving and taking.  This is what Aang's journey is about moreso than collecting elemental kungfu skills.  This is why I believe the comet and the big battle will be something other than what we expect.

I showed this to a friend expecting it to convert him he's something of an anime snob and he didn't like it so much.  I still say this was the ep that let me know this show had legs and believe it is critical to the themes and world and character of Avatar.

Darmani promises not to use "CANON" if Zutarians don't use "DESTINY"
I want a Book Air, Avatar Pen and Paper RPG, and *good* near free-form action video game. I also want a pony.
Om
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2006 10:08 am »

Let's not consider these civilians innocent bystanders. That village wasn't built by them they forced the locals out of their homes and probably killed them and then moved in.

You must make your enemy fear fighting you. If the firenation know that no one is safe they're less likely to settle down and suchlike.

As for Jet being on the frontlines. I'm not sure he'd be any help. Sometimes a single individual can inspire more fear by his actions than a marching army can.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006 10:35 am by Om » Logged

Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2006 10:12 am »

but how do we know this, what if that village was full of innocent bystanders and decendants of a firenation colony that might have been there for hundreds of years

Arrow-head
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2006 11:15 pm »

i didnt like this episode, of all the eps so far i thoguht it was the worst..kind of weak and a nothing episode...

..my sig was too big Sad..
Om
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2006 10:21 am »

but how do we know this, what if that village was full of innocent bystanders and decendants of a firenation colony that might have been there for hundreds of years

We can assume that Jet is either from said village or a village close by since he doesn't seem to have any means of travelling long distances. As a result we can assume whoever killed his parents was from an occupied village(the village on the show) or was an invading army invading said village.

PapaRoavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ICallKyo made me the avvy and the sig

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2006 03:54 pm »

Hmmm...the part where Sokka saved the town, that was touching. And Jett, being the bad guy, lost. He lost Katara's trust, he lost Aang's trust, he lost it all. All because of Sokka. *does a "Go-Sokka-it's-ya-briffday" dance*

Whee, I have a MySpace account!

Creator of the 'Vending Machine' thread and the 'Five Word Story' thread.
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2006 05:21 pm »

We can assume that Jet is either from said village or a village close by since he doesn't seem to have any means of travelling long distances. As a result we can assume whoever killed his parents was from an occupied village(the village on the show) or was an invading army invading said village.

well perhaps jet was from another village nearby as you said, that would make more sense, but we still dont know much about that firenation village... it could have been a village of boy scouts for all we know

vix
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

vixdiesel@aol.com VixDieselJr
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2006 11:54 pm »

I really liked this ep.  It gave the viewers a chance to see a more adult side of Sokka.  It was a nice change of pace.  Sure, Sokka will always be the goof of the show, but it was nice to see him have a side beyond that.

Katamari On The Web

Fav Toons: Avatar, Futurama, South Park, Danny Phantom, Powerpuff Girls, Simpsons and others.
MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2006 03:28 am »

I find Jet's actions unjustifiable at any time, and I'm very glad the makers of Avatar and (apparently) most of the viewing public agree.
I would have to disagree with this contention.  I think Jet's actions were perfectly logical and justifiable when you look at it from a combat perspective.  They are facing an asymmetrical force.  Jet's group simply can't take on the Fire Nation forces in their valley in straightforward combat.  This means they have two primary methods of attacking the Fire Nation.  The first is guerilla warfare and the second is terrorism.

Their goal is to drive the Fire Nation out of the valley.  Wiping out a village full of Fire Nation citizens would be conducive to this goal.  What they were trying to do was to make the effort and cost to hold on the valley too great for the Fire Nation to bear.  Any suffering and death that is caused that leads to this aim would be considered acceptable.

While I do not condone nor support their actions, I can understand why they tried to do what they did.  Were I in similar straits I would probably consider such extreme measures as well.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
TheMaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

zhenlek@hotmail.com
« Reply #24 on: Aug 11, 2006 10:37 am »

I kinda feel sorry for Katara at first.  Honestly, I couldn't believe she would fell for anyone just like that Lips sealed
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: