Sep 02, 2014 01:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're looking for where the live-action movie thread went, read this announcement.

ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Characters, MBTI Style  (Read 18224 times)
infernovia
Can't handle Debate & Discussion
Untethered

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008 10:46 pm »

For so long, he felt like the only emotion he could show was anger.
But the problem is, I don't think this allows us to constitute Zuko as Feeling type. We must look at things deeper. For example, Zuko loves Mai, but is willing to leave her for the fire nation (irony). Additionally, although he is troubled and is primarily acting on anger, he is not very good with feelings. He is attached to Iroh but ultimately puts the love for an abstract ideal, honor, over the love Iroh gives him. All this, in my opinion, pushes Zuko as Thinking.

I still don't understand how he is judging. I gave my explanation about why I think he is perceiving, so I would like to hear your side of it.

Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all things are at risk.
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008 10:49 pm »

For so long, he felt like the only emotion he could show was anger.
But the problem is, I don't think this allows us to constitute Zuko as Feeling type. We must look at things deeper. For example, Zuko loves Mai, but is willing to leave her for the fire nation (irony). Additionally, although he is troubled and is primarily acting on anger, he is not very good with feelings. He is attached to Iroh but ultimately puts the love for an abstract ideal over the love Iroh gives him. In my opinion, Zuko is Thinking.

That's not Thinking. That's having a goal in life, which is what INFPs have.

Additionally, although he is troubled and is primarily acting on anger, he is not very good with feelings.

It's not being good with feelings that makes someone an F, it's trusting feelings over fact.

I don't really think Zuko would quite fit an INFP though, all the INFPs I know are all about sympathy, understanding people, and giving advice (myself included) and Zuko hasn't exactly shown himself to be particularly good at those things. ^^;

I'm an INFP, and I suck hard at giving advice and understanding people. But I enjoy trying to do those things, and so, it seems, does Zuko.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008 11:06 pm by Aurora » Logged

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
candycane
Untethered

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008 11:10 pm »

True Zuko is not good with feelings, but a lot of that I think has to do with his upbringing, which complicates things, I know. But he does have a comforting side, like when he tries to cheer Sokka up. Thinking is the preference for making decisions objectively, which I don't think Zuko does very well.

I still don't understand how he is judging. I gave my explanation about why I think he is perceiving, so I would like to hear your side of it.
I don't think Zuko is flexible or easygoing enough to be a Perceiver. He can be very rigid and serious. He seems more J to me. Structured, organized, and not good at relaxing. Like in 305. "Doing nothing is a waste of time" speaks volumes.

True he is not the best decision maker and doesn't think things through, but that doesn't qualify someone as a Perceiver. It just indicates a lack of insight.

And leaving Mai for the gaang doesn't mean anything either.

I still think he's ISFJ. My mom is one. They are great people. Very hard working. But not always great at expressing themselves.

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
infernovia
Untethered

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2008 11:26 pm »

But.. I don't really see where he does that. Sure, you can't call Zuko detached in any sense, but there is not really a moment where I would say he picked feeling over thought. I also appreciate Zuko's amazing knack with technology and just general problem solution.

The problem with Zuko is that you can't just change one. INFPs are idealists but Zuko doesn't dislike conflict. ISFP seem to explain a lot of Zuko's tendancies, but he is also a leader of sort and I have a hard time imagining him as an artist. So right now, I think zuko is ISFP/ISTP with ration of 5/4.

True he is not the best decision maker and doesn't think things through, but that doesn't qualify someone as a Perceiver. It just indicates a lack of insight.
Yes, but he seems to be ok with figuring things out as he keeps going. He has a plan and a goal, but I really don't think he stages it quite like Zhao does. Like his bout with Zhao. Zuko's inventiveness is clearly emphasized in the show. Iroh yells "you never think these things through" which pretty much emphasizes why I think Zuko is a P rather than a J.

Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all things are at risk.
candycane
Untethered

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008 11:42 pm »

But.. I don't really see where he does that. Sure, you can't call Zuko detached in any sense, but there is not really a moment where I would say he picked feeling over thought. I also appreciate Zuko's amazing knack with technology and just general problem solution.
Having a knack with technology and general practical problem solving always sounded like more of a Sensing trait to me. Feeling has nothing to do with it. I know a lot of Feelers who are very practical and good with technology and fixing things. They just prefer more humanistic pursuits.

And Zuko seems to value Feeling to me. Like when he yells at Mai in 305 for not being affectionate enough. And he calls her a Blah. And how he trekked around the world for three years looking to capture the avatar just so his father would love him. And how he stood up in the war council room to defend the Fire Nation soldiers who were gonna be sacrificed.

Yes, but he seems to be ok with figuring things out as he keeps going. He has a plan and a goal, but I really don't think he stages it quite like Zhao does. Like his bout with Zhao. Zuko's inventiveness is clearly emphasized in the show. Iroh yells "you never think these things through" which pretty much emphasizes why I think Zuko is a P rather than a J.
true he is not a good planner. But he is still to orderly and structured for me to think he is a Perceiver. Plus, he can't relax! He's very uptight and paranoid. Most Perceivers have no problem relaxing. They're generally more easygoing and irresponsible.

So yeah. Zuko is an ISFJ or ISTJ to me.

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
infernovia
Untethered

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2008 12:46 am »

And how he stood up in the war council room to defend the Fire Nation soldiers who were gonna be sacrificed.
I don't think this really forces an F on Zuko because I consider myself a T and I have been like this before. Something about the ideal you know. But yeah, I concede, Zuko is idealistic which is a F.

But he is still to orderly and structured for me to think he is a Perceiver. Plus, he can't relax! He's very uptight and paranoid. They're generally more easygoing and irresponsible.
I am very uptight. Its true, I don't have the mindset of getting things done right away when the assignments are due, but when I am doing something, I want everything to go just like it is in my head (as in, I get frustrated when people focus on other things). Just because I am not all ARGH about my goal and job at the moment doesn't mean I can't be just as anal about it.

Edit: Especially, like in this case, where there is much more on the line than just a grade.

ISFJ or ISTJ
The problem is, ISTJ would be TOO duty oriented in my opinion. I think the only way a T would work is with a P, a counterbalance of sort, you know.

Aside from his introversion, I think all other letters can be more or less replaced (although its hard for me to think Zuko in an intuitive manner). I think Zuko would fit the role of the nurturer (ISFJ), the idealist (INFP) and the mechanic (ISTP) rather well. It seems to me that Zuko needs that balance between the thinker and the inventiveness he portrays.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008 01:09 am by infernovia » Logged

carli113
Untethered

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008 06:16 pm »

More analyst for me.

Iroh-ENFJ
Azula-ENTJ
Ty Lee- ESFP
Mai -ISTP
Ozai- ENTJ like Azula
Sunder the Gold
Untethered

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2008 02:16 am »

I looked it up. Extroverted and Introverted mean something a little different in the MBTI Style.

Extraverts are people who act, reflect, and act again. They recover energy through activity, and are tired out by reflection.

Introverts are people who reflect, act, and then reflect again. They recover energy through reflection, and are tired out by acting.

This certainly fits my brother and I. My mother would describe me as perpetual thought, and my brother as perpectual motion.

Azula definitely recovers energy through activity. At the beach, she didn't know what to do with herself until she found the volleyball game, or decided to attend a party.

Aang and Toph are also more interesting in activity than in contemplation.

Zuko, on the other hand, spends a lot of time reflecting.

SMBH
ASN Management
Untethered

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #58 on: Jul 23, 2008 12:34 am »

Moved to WoA.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #59 on: Aug 06, 2008 02:59 pm »

Bringing this topic back from the dead! Cheesy

Suki- definite ESTJ. She's athletic, thinks things through, very loyal to community, a natural and agressive leader, and loves to get things done.

I have to disagree with this. ESTJs tend to be domineering, direct, and often have trouble understanding other types' points of view, even (and sometimes especially) with people they're close with. From the way Suki reacted to Sokka's "weakness" in The Serpent's Pass ("I know you're just trying to help" is not something an ESTJ would recognize) she doesn't sound like an ESTJ at all.

If I had to put Suki under one type I'd say she's an ESTP. They're action-oriented, lively, adaptable, can make fair and quick-acting leaders if put in a leadership position, and enjoy taking risks and experiencing thrills.

They're also very good at reading people and using that insight to their advantage. Sound familiar?

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #60 on: Aug 06, 2008 04:35 pm »

I agree with your analysis of Suki, but I'd like to revisit Ozai in light of what we saw in the finale.

Ozai – INTJ

"INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings."

"Unless their Feeling side is developed, they may have problems giving other people the level of intimacy that is needed."

"Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things."

"INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist."

"INTJs are natural leaders, although they usually choose to remain in the background until they see a real need to take over the lead."

Rather than having very little interest in the thoughts of others, Ozai makes a point of asking Zuko's opinion of the Earth Kingdomites, and accepts it without question. However, a counterpoint to that would be Ozai's complete disregard for his daughter's emotional wellbeing, but arguably because she had disappointed him already by lying for Zuko.

Does an INTJ only accept the thoughts of those he/she favors, or should it be a blanket rejection? (I know that I do, but no one is a robot.)

"What can I say? Beneath my cocksure exterior I have terribly low self-esteem."

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."
TF:MTMTE Annual 2012, by James Roberts
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #61 on: Aug 06, 2008 04:47 pm »

Rather than having very little interest in the thoughts of others, Ozai makes a point of asking Zuko's opinion of the Earth Kingdomites, and accepts it without question.

I think that while an INTJ would be disinterested by someone approaching them and expressing their thoughts, here Ozai was asking Zuko what he thought. And it was less of a feelings question and more of a factual, I-respect-your-wisdom-so-I'm-asking-you-for-help-on-my-world-domination-plan.

He was only planning on using Zuko's "thoughts" for his own agenda anyway, as seen when he completely disregards Zuko when he tries to correct Ozai's assumption that Zuko was suggesting the Fire Nation stamp out the Earth Kingdom's hope.

However, a counterpoint to that would be Ozai's complete disregard for his daughter's emotional wellbeing, but arguably because she had disappointed him already by lying for Zuko.

No, I don't think Ozai took that into account. He didn't call her on it and he certainly wouldn't have put her on the throne had he thought she'd continue to lie to him.

Does an INTJ only accept the thoughts of those he/she favors, or should it be a blanket rejection? (I know that I do, but no one is a robot.)

I think that for an INTJ with an undeveloped F, it's more of a question of respect (or honor, as Zuko would call it) and not favor. But that's an assumption and you would probably know better than me.

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #62 on: Aug 06, 2008 04:53 pm »

I think that while an INTJ would be disinterested by someone approaching them and expressing their thoughts, here Ozai was asking Zuko what he thought. And it was less of a feelings question and more of a factual, I-respect-your-wisdom-so-I'm-asking-you-for-help-on-my-world-domination-plan.

Okay, I get the distinction now.

No, I don't think Ozai took that into account. He didn't call her on it and he certainly wouldn't have put her on the throne had he thought she'd continue to lie to him.

Well, it probably didn't enter his train of thought, but it proves she's fallible, so he may have decreased his repsect for her.

I think that for an INTJ with an undeveloped F, it's more of a question of respect (or honor, as Zuko would call it) and not favor. But that's an assumption and you would probably know better than me.

It's hard for me to tell. People I respect and people I favor are two groups that don't necessarily overlap much.

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #63 on: Aug 06, 2008 05:11 pm »

It's hard for me to tell. People I respect and people I favor are two groups that don't necessarily overlap much.

Well, I don't think Ozai favored Zuko because he dismissed him pretty quickly when Zuko confronted him during the Day of Black Sun. Once Ozai had come to the conclusion that Zuko held no greater knowledge over him from spending time in the Earth Kingdom, he went ahead and shot two lightning bolts at him.

And I'm not sure of Ozai ever really favored Azula, either. At least not in the way functional human beings do. Tongue It seemed more like he was trying to morph her into a younger female version of himself so that she could continue on the Evil Fire Lord legacy. When it came to trying to give her what she wanted,

Well, it probably didn't enter his train of thought, but it proves she's fallible, so he may have decreased his repsect for her.

and it seemed to him that Azula preferred power over Ozai's love, he gave her that power; even though Azula told him herself that what she wanted was to "burn everything to the ground" during quality time with her dad.

It seemed more like he was giving her what he wanted more than anything.

...And now I've completely lost my train of thought. I think my point was that Ozai works on a scale of respect and need for a person's skills, and has issues creating relationships with them. Mai and Ty Lee were once true friends with Azula, even thought she was using them for the skill sets that she didn't have. I doubt Ozai ever had anyone like that.

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #64 on: Aug 06, 2008 05:22 pm »

So, in conclusion, I'll say you successfully defend Ozai as INTJ. Any insights on Katara now that we've seen The Southern Raiders?

"Fair point."
Aurora
Untethered

The truth? About what?

« Reply #65 on: Aug 06, 2008 05:36 pm »

So, in conclusion, I'll say you successfully defend Ozai as INTJ. Any insights on Katara now that we've seen The Southern Raiders?

Katara is definitely an NF. Her actions in TSR established this more than ever. As far as her other two traits go, I would say she's most probably an ENFJ. Like Katara, they tend to put others' well-beings above their own, have ideals about relationships and may be controlling of their friends/lovers/family in order to fit reality with their ideals, consider others' burderns as their own, and are very spiteful and resentful when scorned.

Waltz
Untethered

« Reply #66 on: Jul 22, 2011 05:08 pm »

First of all, I must apologise for resurrecting this topic -- I know many forums frown on bumping ancient threads, but hopefully this place isn't one of them. I checked the rules, and it said you should always search for an existing thread before creating discussion, so hopefully posting on this old thread falls within that area.

This is a great thread -- very interesting analysis. I'm a big fan of the series, and I've known about MBTI for years, so it's enjoyable to see the two of them being linked and explored in detail. I'm not great at 'typing' people, but my take on the characters is below.

All the following quotes/references on MBTI are taken from these sites:

http://typelogic.com/

http://www.personalitypage.com

Aang - ENFP:

Aang loves to talk and enjoy himself with others, an extroverted trait which he carries all the way throughout the series. The description of the type is pretty much spot on for his personality:

'They want to both help and to be liked and admired by other people, on both an individual and a humanitarian level. This is rarely a problem for the ENFP, as they are outgoing and warm, and genuinely like people. Some ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality.'

One of the best episodes to demonstrate Aang's ENFP style is The Headband, which is Aang completely cutting loose, energising other people and simply having fun, which is something his role as the Avatar hasn't always allowed him to do.

Sokka - ENTP:

Obviously extroverted. He's clearly the thinker and planner in the group, which at first made me think of him as a J, but after reading about the actual type, I think he seems much more like an ENTP, mainly because he doesn't quite have the steely, forbidding feel that descriptions of ENTJ's seem to indicate. He's actually very playful and casual. He's also willing to improvise, and he often combines his logical skills with creativity and eccentric decisions. (Highlighted in Sokka's Master, amongst others.) Even though he shows amusing disdain for the hippies or people who buy into fortune telling, it always comes across as somehow soft and acceptable rather than truly malicious.

'"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are both funny and incisively accurate.'

A thinker-comedian. Very Sokka.

Katara - ENFJ:

Katara is definitely a people person. She's passionate, nurturing, and is the kind of person who binds people and communities together. She feels very deeply, and while this results in great warmness, it can also result in fiery outbursts, and once she is wronged, she won't forget it. I think the Extroversion, Feeling and Judging parts are fairly clear for this character -- the J is probably particularly highlighted in her tendency to take strong positions on issues, which some people see as 'preaching'. I'm torn between N and S for her, though...it's hard to narrow it down. If I had to choose, I would probably go for ENFJ.

'ENFJs are people-focused individuals. They live in the world of people possibilities. More so than any other type, they have excellent people skills. They understand and care about people, and have a special talent for bringing out the best in others. ENFJ's main interest in life is giving love, support, and a good time to other people. They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others. They make things happen for people, and get their best personal satisfaction from this.'

Toph - ISTP:

This is one of the tricky ones...I'm not sure about Toph. I'd guess that she's an introvert, as she is more of a loner than a team player, and her isolated style jars a bit with the other characters at first, before she eventually softens. I'd be curious to see what other people think of what Toph might be.

'unlike most ESPs they do not present an impression of constant activity. On the contrary, they lie dormant, saving their energy until a project or an adventure worthy of their time comes along--and then they launch themselves at it. The apparently frenzied state that inevitably ensues is actually much more controlled than it appears--ISTPs always seem to know what they're doing when it comes to physical or mechanical obstacles--but the whole chain of events presents a confusing and paradoxical picture to an outsider.'

Iroh - ENFP or ENFJ:

Iroh is another people person. Very warm and understanding, and it is almost impossible to find someone he can't get along with. He has no trouble approaching others and offering advice to virtual strangers. He could be the same type as Aang, but Iroh is much wiser and far more experienced due to age, which gives him a sort of mellowness and shrewd quality that Aang doesn't really have. Also notice how comfortably these two talk to one another in their scene together at the end of Book 2. Aang confides in him about choosing his love for Katara over Power, and Iroh says: 'Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love.' He's very much on the same wave length as Aang. I'm not sure if he's a P or J, though...

Azula - INTJ:

Another tough one. I really don't know, but INTJ is my best guess.

'INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.'

This also really reminds me of her horrible social skills on display in The Beach:

'This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete, paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.'

Mai - INTP:

Definitely an introvert. The rest is more debatable. My best guess is INTP, as she has a sort of natural icy coolness to her that doesn't quite feel like the F type. She doesn't seem to display the emphasis on logic, but she does seem very detached, and even during danger it feels like she's observing events from a distance rather than being truly engaged in everything going on.

'INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.'

Ty Lee - ESFP:

Most people agree on this one, so nothing much to say here!

Jet - ESFJ:

Extrovert. Very charming, very good with people. A natural leader. Very much a character interested in the world and the physical rather than abstract, so an 'S' type. Very passionate and fiery about his ideals and the wrongs done to his people, and makes quite firm judgements and decisions.

'ESFJs are people persons - they love people. They are warmly interested in others. They use their Sensing and Judging characteristics to gather specific, detailed information about others, and turn this information into supportive judgments. They want to like people, and have a special skill at bringing out the best in others. They are extremely good at reading others, and understanding their point of view. The ESFJ's strong desire to be liked and for everything to be pleasant makes them highly supportive of others. People like to be around ESFJs, because the ESFJ has a special gift of invariably making people feel good about themselves.'

This bit is particularly relevant:

'ESFJs who have not had the advantage of developing their own values by weighing them against a good external value system may develop very questionable values. In such cases, the ESFJ most often genuinely believes in the integrity of their skewed value system. They have no internal understanding of values to set them straight. In weighing their values against our society, they find plenty of support for whatever moral transgression they wish to justify. This type of ESFJ is a dangerous person indeed. Extraverted Feeling drives them to control and manipulate, and their lack of Intuition prevents them from seeing the big picture. They're usually quite popular and good with people, and good at manipulating them. Unlike their ENFJ cousin, they don't have Intuition to help them understand the real consequences of their actions. They are driven to manipulate other to achieve their own ends, yet they believe that they are following a solid moral code of conduct.'

Finally...Zuko. Zuko might be the hardest character in the whole series to find a 'type' for, and I can see people have been debating about him quite a bit on this thread. Part of the problem is that he changes so much, and isn't really static, and another problem is that we're using a naturally restricting method to analyse him. MBTI, like other systems, is limited and cannot capture the full complexity of personality. Humans are too dynamic and contradictory. MBTI is more of a guideline, or something to help, but not really the end in itself. Zuko seems to fit different types because he goes through various shifts and changes, and it's hard to pin down the 'real' him.

My instinct is that he's an INFJ, but it's hard to tell. I think INFJ types are often known to have an intensity and oddness around them, something you can feel or see when around them that the other types just don't have. Deeply emotional people, and quite layered. One thing that makes me doubt it, however, is that INFJ types are supposed to be highly perceptive in regard to other people and their emotions...Zuko doesn't seem to have this trait, which is why Iroh balances him out so well. I noticed you guys thought he could be an INFP, and that's possible too, although he'd have to be the most twisted INFP I've seen. Then again, the way he acts when he attains a peace of mind later in the series IS strangely INFP-like...but he still has a sort of hard edge that I don't associate with the INFP type as a whole.

(Although there is one site I've come across that offers a darker and less idealised perspective on the INFP that may fit Zuko: http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html )
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011 05:09 pm by Waltz » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: