Nov 14, 2019 10:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could there be anything like brail in the avatar world?  (Read 1313 times)
Crazy4Avatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 23, 2006 11:46 pm »

I was just re-watching "The Library" and Toph's comment concerning books got me thinking. How would the blind in the avatar world handle books, does brail or another system similiar to it exist in the avatar world? Might the show's producers explore this question in an upcomming episode?

Keeper of Lord Momo's cape, Appa's New Saddle, & Aang's New Glider.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo is watching...and waiting...

« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2006 07:06 am »

She did say: "Let me know if there's something to listen too." so my best guess is that people like her have some sort of "talking" book. I don't know how it would work, but that comment of hers suggests that.
Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2006 08:11 am »

I think it was sarcasim on Tophs part, i dont think Braille exists in the avaverse

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Kari
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Friends are worth more than any gold or jewels.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2006 08:14 am »

I think, too, that blind people aren't able to read in avatar. Probably friends/relatives read the books out to them.

Love,
Kari

Official warning: this signature has been removed for being in violation of the NEW SIGNATURE RULES that were announced last year. -Forau
Fire Starter
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"No mercy for the weak."

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2006 08:23 am »

schooling doesn't seem to be a big priority in the avatar world.

braile was probably never developed to due a lack of interest in the blind trying to read.

Keeper of the Dai Li gauntlets
The Quenchiest
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

we are human after all

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2006 08:43 am »

I think that in this particular time period, which I believe the writers are basing off of Ancient China, books are very expensive and have to be made by hand (probably by Monks). This is what makes the library in the dessert even more fantastic then we modern readers realize, such a collection would be unbelievable at that time. And no I don't think there is Brail. But luckily for Toph, she probably would have heard many stories via story tellers and Bards. I think there is a great Oral tradion of professionals who would memorize a tale and travel around. Audiences would have then paid to hear the story over several days. So perhaps we shall see this sort of thing in a future Avatar episode.

Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2006 09:45 am »

Braille was invented as an alternative to the Latin phoneme-based alphabet, so that the blind could read by touch as quickly as the sighted can read by sight. It works because there are only about 40 letters and other characters in the languages that use this alphabet. But the Avatar[/I[ world uses Chinese writing, with its thousands of pictograms representing individual words. A simple digital form of writing like Braille would be out of the question.

Additionally, the production of Braille documents depends on certain technological advancements in paper and printing that I don't see their world having. Rice paper doesn't hold up well to being texture-stamped.

Toph might have been taught to read engraved writings (in stone or clay), but she probably doesn't have many opportunities to do so. Societies that have invented paper only use engravings for monuments and other non-portable things.

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do write fanfiction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: