Nov 22, 2019 09:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait a minute shouldn't Toph have "seen" the Drill before Aang?  (Read 3658 times)
GX3
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Sep 22, 2006 01:49 pm »

Toph has the ability to sense vibrations in the ground (the ability to "see" anything that is touching the ground), as big as the Drill is it had to mike alot of vibrations so why didn't Toph "see" it 1st?
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006 03:02 pm by Savitri » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2006 01:57 pm »

well maybe...hmm that's a very very good one you know! but maybe it was a bit too far away..and not in the sentence like 'the train/truck of the Chase'..maybe she was thinking about what it could be...then again she isn't going to say everything she 'sees' on her way...xD

Toph: Ohhh I see ants walking there..they're going towards the wall of Ba-Sing-Se.
gAang: o_O...-_-' uhhh old news?

I mean it's kindda dry/not cool but it could be this. i mean the creators make nearly mistakes. so we have to be glad..as far as i've seen cartoons with tons of mistakes!
ireallylikemusic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:12 pm »

toph says in the episode she can't sense anything that is metal, thats why the fire nation made the drill metal, so that it can't be earthbent.
MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:19 pm »

She would still be able to sense any vibrations it made while rumbling along the earth.  I doubt she was close enough to the drill to feel the vibrations it made, though.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
GX3
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:20 pm »

toph says in the episode she can't sense anything that is metal, thats why the fire nation made the drill metal, so that it can't be earthbent.
  But it was making vibrations on/in the ground, and she said she couldn't "see" or earthbend inside it not sense it
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I haven't given up hope yet. ;_;

darthnat@hotmail.com charaznable26
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:27 pm »

Well, given that Toph can sense just about everything that's moving in a given area, I imagine that she doesn't pay much attention to every vibration.  After all, if she sensed some massive source of vibrations, she'd feel pretty silly if it just turned out to be a heard of animals or something.  In "The Chase", she knew Azula's tank thing was worth being concerned about because it was heading right toward them.  But the drill wasn't (and was probably further away), so why should she make a big deal out of it?

I was more confused as to why Toph didn't sense the refugees at that little water basin long before they got within earshot.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006 02:35 pm by Nat » Logged

Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:33 pm »

I agree with Nat on both the explanation and the water basin comment. If she can sense and attack Iroh then she should have noticed three people approaching.

Maybe her 'sight' is selective? Tongue

Firelord Sunny
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yip yip!

ladymecha
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:45 pm »

well it was moutainous terrain, maybe it interfered with her, either that or her skills do have small limitations.

Space, the final frontier...
These are the voyages of the flying bison Appa.
His ongoing mission, to explore strange new worlds,
To help Aang seek out new bending masters and escape the firenation.
To boldy go where no flying bison has gone before...

Keeper of Davros' frozen head
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:46 pm »

Plus I'd think the vibrations from soldiers on the wall and behind it were enough. She's close to a big city right now, I'm sure she's getting a ton of faint vibrations that she has to ignore.

Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:50 pm »

If she didn't sense the family's approach, this...

might be why. Her feet aren't touching the earth. Her hands are, but her vibrational sense probably works the best when she uses it the way she's accustomed to, i.e. through the soles of her feet.

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do write fanfiction.
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:52 pm »

might be why. Her feet aren't touching the earth. Her hands are, but her vibrational sense probably works the best when she uses it the way she's accustomed to, i.e. through the soles of her feet.

Yeah, but they approached after that, when she was standing on dry land behind Sokka:

And it seems like every time she wants to get a better idea of what something is, she puts her hand to the ground.  I think she can feel vibrations equally well through any point of her body.

Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2006 02:54 pm »

Good point. I guess she was just being lazy or distracted then. Or its a minor writing error.

jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:03 pm »

Or she was concentrating on whatever Sokka was saying at the time.

Keeper of Toph's Manners.
GX3
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:05 pm »

Good point. I guess she was just being lazy or distracted then. Or its a minor writing error.
  or she knew they won't going to hurt them
Tananda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av by omgasp

Michelle+es+FAG
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:09 pm »

or she knew they won't going to hurt them

Or maybe she's working for the fire nation! (dun dun duuunnn)

Swim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:12 pm »

I thought the Drill looked pretty far away. The ground vibrations probably didn't propagate far enough to reach Toph's senses.

:3 :"How do you like the city?"
:\ :"It's ok."
:3 :"What do you like to do for fun?"
:\ :"Nothing."
Brambo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Keeper of the Earthchampion Belt

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:42 pm »

I thought the Drill looked pretty far away. The ground vibrations probably didn't propagate far enough to reach Toph's senses.

I agree, on that moment they are still behind the serpent pass. The only way to sense the viberations,
is trough the small way or trough the deep ocean. She would never sense it from that great distance.
Darmani
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Maigano
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2006 03:50 pm »

On the other side of the Serpent's Pass, maybe but there were a number of cliffs and ridges, likely "cutoff" points for her senses.  We've also seen her abilities aren't absolute within her first episode.  Encountering something new often confuses her and if she's distracted she might ignore it.  The people at the basin were a complete writer's teleport though, they had no approach or build-up at all they were just there all of a sudden.  Toph nor the others seemed particularly surprised.

Darmani promises not to use "CANON" if Zutarians don't use "DESTINY"
I want a Book Air, Avatar Pen and Paper RPG, and *good* near free-form action video game. I also want a pony.
GX3
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2006 06:11 pm »

One more thing
How did Toph know that was rocky water?
Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2006 06:19 pm »

Maybe she heard the larger rock fragments banging around inside the pipeline. Or she realized that the rock drilled out from the wall would have to go somewhere, noticed that they were all standing around in mud, and put two and two together.

PaLi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2006 06:23 pm »

Well, she could have just trusted Katara...

Classical:  Music for the ears.
Oldies:  Music for the soul.
Rap:  Music for the tone-deaf.
Nat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2006 06:25 pm »

How did Toph know that was rocky water?

Because she had to walk through it to get to Katara and Sokka.  Mud feels different from clean, pure water.

mistresskatara
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kataang is a drug. Say yes to the drug.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2006 07:13 pm »

Here's my take:

People who aren't blind have the ABILITY to see everything around them, but we don't see everything all at once. We focus in on a certain point. That's what sight really is. If we tried to see everything at once, we wouldn't see anything at all.

I bet it's the same with Toph. The first time she felt the Azula gang aproaching in the Chase I think she was laying down trying to go to sleep, not focusing on anything in particular at the moment, and then happened to feel it. Then, every time she felt it afterwards she was able to do so by focusing in on it because she knew what she was looking for.

Maybe... lol. ^^

Disapproval- a KGA Challenge fic
Keeper of Chin's giant Avatar floats, Aang's smile, Katara's blush, and Sokka's love of meat.
Zoo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2006 11:00 pm »

Well, I think the creators just made a mistake. I mean, the drill  is freaking HUGE! Look at the darn thing. If she can fells ants. Or a man shaking, why not something that looks longer then a football field? And did you see the dents it was putting into the ground? how could she NOT feel it? I thikn it was just a tragic case of something that was meant to look cool and entertain. That's it. Same reason Flash comics aren't 3 panels long and that Silver Surfing Jobs so ahrd.

We are creating a world that all may enter without privilege or prejudice accorded by race,economic power,military force, or station of birth.We are creating a world where anyone, anywhere may express his or her beliefs,no matter how singular,without fear of being coerced into silence or conformity.
airbendergirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2006 04:43 pm »

She would still be able to sense any vibrations it made while rumbling along the earth.  I doubt she was close enough to the drill to feel the vibrations it made, though.
Well she felt that thing in chase, but what i think it was that it seemed to be ground was really dry and cracked. Maybe those cracks went really deep, cutting off/lesseing the vibrations, so Toph only thought it was Earth being bended/the vibrations wern't strong enough to worry her.

Drink Tea
Read Newspaper
Complain about pointless things
Invade countries and claim them!
Support Conservatives
THIS IS BEING BRITISH!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: