Dec 12, 2019 11:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting things noticed in Avatar  (Read 925168 times)
peppertree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Orange-kun

akatsuki.evil@hotmail.com
« Reply #425 on: Sep 11, 2006 08:12 pm »

Some natives (bringing in history here...) believe since circles don't have verticies like the other shapes (eg. squares, rectangles), evil stuff can't hide in the corners... if that's wrong, someone tell me.  Tongue

Oh, and another reason I think he likes circles is 'cause the earth kindom symbol is like an ancient Chinese coin, so it's round with a square hole in the middle.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2006 08:16 pm by peppertree » Logged

Whoever made my icons is creative & brilliant.
Jeremiah Gottwald got baked by Kallen... Baked orange...

Visit my Deviantart!! link
climbtreez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Shiny head of DOOM

climbtreez
« Reply #426 on: Sep 11, 2006 08:46 pm »

That sounds about right. But the chineses coins with the squares in the middle do have corners, dont they? Maybe Im just confused.
Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A tiny plaid bender's worst nightmare.

« Reply #427 on: Sep 12, 2006 03:52 am »

Or perhaps that very little people knew that the Library existed.

First 4 words from the left says "Wan Shi Tong Spirit"
5th word means "Secret"
Last 3 words mean "Library"

Spirit Wan Shi Tong's Secret Library. Looks like our great owl friend didn't want people coming to his library a long time ago...

If you can read that, could you pleeeeease tell me what exactly Iroh and Zuko's wanted poster says?  *begs shamelessly* A batch of freshly-baked cookies if you do...

Credit firebender.com for screengrab

Edit: Okay, I realize the writing is ridiculously tiny, but ASN has a bigger one if you can't see it.

Edit Again: Readable image, Take Two.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 04:12 am by Argyle Bender » Logged
jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #428 on: Sep 12, 2006 07:00 am »

Those symbols are really quite blurry you know... I'll check the blue spirit and aang one because they're on the dvd's already released, so much higher image quality. But I only know like 200 symbols, give or take 10. So I may not know enough to translate much...

Keeper of Toph's Manners.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #429 on: Sep 12, 2006 07:46 am »

I would love to translate that but like what jakniclesin says, it's too blur, even when I zoom in. I can make out the first line on the extreme right. It says, "By order of the Fire Lord to capture Iroh & Zuko..." and the 2nd column from the left says, "Refused to capture the Water Tribes and the Avatar"  In between, it's way too hazy to make out what the poster says, Sorry.

But do not fret! Someone on Wikipedia has gave a translation of what is said on the poster (By using a screenshot of Xin Fu touching the poster with his hands in The Desert)

It reads:

"The two scoundrels Iroh and Zuko are wanted by order of the Fire Lord. General Iroh once [blurry writing]. Zuko is the former Prince to the Fire Emperor (Fire Lord). These two traitors disobeyed the Fire Lord's imperial orders to wipe out the Water Tribes as well as capture the Medium Descent (Chinese name for the Avatar). Wanted dead or alive."

Zuko's name in chinese is 祖寇 while Iroh's name in chinese is 艾洛. By the way, the 2 chinese words might appear as squares & symbols if you don't have the chinese software on your computer. For those who have the chinese encoding, I'll further translate what their names mean.

The first character in Zuko's name, 祖, means elderly or parent and the second character in his name, 寇, means pirate or invader to a country or enemy. Put them both together, you either get elderly enemy/pirate or enemy to the parent. Was quite surprised when I looked up the meaning because Zuko isn't that evil in nature isn't he?

Anyway, now for Iroh's name! First character in Iroh's name, 艾, means old or beautiful and the second character in his name, 洛, means river. So you get either old river or beautiful stream but I think beautiful stream suits him better since his so wise and that makes him 'beautiful' isn't it?

*Edit* Also did I mention that the show has some inconsistencies in writing chinese characters? Sometimes, the sentence is read from left to right (like the map of the library) and at other times, sentences are read from right to left (like the wanted poster). People in ancient China wrote & read from right to left by the way... Now it's from left to right which is so much easier. Lol
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006 08:04 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Karalora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #430 on: Sep 12, 2006 09:52 am »

The first character in Zuko's name, 祖, means elderly or parent and the second character in his name, 寇, means pirate or invader to a country or enemy. Put them both together, you either get elderly enemy/pirate or enemy to the parent. Was quite surprised when I looked up the meaning because Zuko isn't that evil in nature isn't he?

No, but it's quite likely that he'll end up opposing his father, isn't it? (What's scary about this is the completely unexpected dimension it adds to my fanfic, "Lucky to Be Born.")

Anyway, now for Iroh's name! First character in Iroh's name, 艾, means old or beautiful and the second character in his name, 洛, means river. So you get either old river or beautiful stream but I think beautiful stream suits him better since his so wise and that makes him 'beautiful' isn't it?

Yeah, but it's a lot more fun to think of him as Old Man River. He just keeps rolling along...

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do write fanfiction.
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #431 on: Sep 12, 2006 12:47 pm »

No, but it's quite likely that he'll end up opposing his father, isn't it? (What's scary about this is the completely unexpected dimension it adds to my fanfic, "Lucky to Be Born.")

Yeah, but it's a lot more fun to think of him as Old Man River. He just keeps rolling along...

Old Man River...I like it!

Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #432 on: Sep 12, 2006 02:31 pm »

Thanks for the info, that's really great.  I find it very interesting that the characters in Zuko's name can mean "enemy to the parent."  That could be some very intriguing foreshadowing! *likes implications* *crosses fingers*

And Iroh as Old Man River is nifty too. Cheesy

*passes out freshly baked cookies to translators*
Extraordinary Lauren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #433 on: Sep 12, 2006 02:50 pm »

The Elite(1337!) Earth bending team sent to fight the fire nation is called "The Terra Team"

Terra means earth in Latin. I learnt it the other day in Latin class.

Keeper of Iroh's Jasmine Tea, Iroh's Tea Recipes, and The Eastern Air Temple.
Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #434 on: Sep 12, 2006 03:05 pm »

And tierra is earth in Spanish.
Extraordinary Lauren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #435 on: Sep 12, 2006 03:17 pm »

And tierra is earth in Spanish.

yeah which comes striaght from Latin. Think also Terrain, Terrestrial, They all mean earth from the latin root Terra. I just found the Terra Team to be interesting because you dont really see them pull stuff from other sources beside Asian Cultures.

Keeper of Iroh's Jasmine Tea, Iroh's Tea Recipes, and The Eastern Air Temple.
Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The pouty Disillusioned Water Tribe Tot

« Reply #436 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:23 pm »

Thanks for the info, that's really great.  I find it very interesting that the characters in Zuko's name can mean "enemy to the parent."  That could be some very intriguing foreshadowing! *likes implications* *crosses fingers*

Somehow I don't think anyone here believes this revelation to be at all coincidental...seems rather strange he was named that though...

Ozai:  *holds newborn prince aloft* "And we shall call him Zuko!"

Ursa:  "You want to name him 'enemy to the parent'?"

Ozai:  "I think it suits him..."

Ursa:  *mutters* "I think it's a plot device..."

The Road Less Travelled Duty
Keeps Zuko's Path to Redemption and "I'm Never Happy"
AvaGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #437 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:30 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already but one else has noticed that guy in the background? On the bridge behind Sokka and Yue... I think it's just a random person but I think it's kind of neat that they chose something like that as a background detail.

Keeper of Sokka & Yue's love.
Gamabunta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Frog boss

« Reply #438 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:34 pm »

Somehow I don't think anyone here believes this revelation to be at all coincidental...seems rather strange he was named that though...

So Ozai hated Zuko from birth,

Ouch...
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo is watching...and waiting...

« Reply #439 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:36 pm »

Didn't notice that before. I know it's not really amazing, but Sokka's mittens (or winter gloves) are pretty much the same color as his gauntlets (Y'know, the things he wears on his hands when he's out in warmer weather?)

About Ozai, Zuko, Azula thing, well, he probably didn't hate Zuko until Zuko "insulted" him.

Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #440 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:41 pm »

It could be that he named him Zuko because he already had designs on the throne and that he saw Zuko as an 'enemy to his parent' by the fact that he would one day take the throne from him...

Argyle Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #441 on: Sep 12, 2006 06:52 pm »

*Promply dies from excess of laughter*
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #442 on: Sep 12, 2006 10:29 pm »

did anyone notice that all the people in Zuko's family(exept Ursa)has a Z in their name?

Zuko

Ozai

Azula

Azulon

Sozion

thats scary............

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #443 on: Sep 12, 2006 10:54 pm »

did anyone notice that all the people in Zuko's family(exept Ursa)has a Z in their name?

Zuko

Ozai

Azula

Azulon

Sozion

thats scary............

Oh gosh, I can't remember where I read this...so don't take it as fact. I read somewhere that people in the fire nation are named after family members in one way or the other. They borrow spellings from their ancestors to pay tribute to loved ones....This is why the royal family has alot of letters in common when it comes to their names.

I will hunt for where I read that....

Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #444 on: Sep 12, 2006 11:23 pm »

And as Ursa married into the family it makes sense that she doesn't have a 'z'...however...what about Iroh and Lu Ten?  Are they honouring the maternal side?

Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #445 on: Sep 13, 2006 12:08 am »

And as Ursa married into the family it makes sense that she doesn't have a 'z'...however...what about Iroh and Lu Ten?  Are they honouring the maternal side?

oops forgot about them

Zuko

Ozai

Azula

Azulon

Sozion

thats scary............

Oh gosh, I can't remember where I read this...so don't take it as fact. I read somewhere that people in the fire nation are named after family members in one way or the other. They borrow spellings from their ancestors to pay tribute to loved ones....This is why the royal family has alot of letters in common when it comes to their names.

I will hunt for where I read that....

thats cool, hope you find somthing

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #446 on: Sep 13, 2006 02:31 am »

LOL! The writers really did put in a lot of effort to make this show a success. From using martial arts to represent different bendings, to different real world cultures for every nation and to their names as well! I take my hat off to them.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #447 on: Sep 13, 2006 02:39 am »

Perhaps...We know that Azulon's wife's name was Ila (sp?), but we don't know who Iroh's wife was. let alone know her name.

chickgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #448 on: Sep 13, 2006 08:07 pm »

whateva
FancyClancy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #449 on: Sep 13, 2006 08:12 pm »

About aang's dietary habits...

Many Buddhists will not kill animals or eat meat because they believe in rebirth, the idea that people are reincarnated after they die, possibly as animals. Therefore, it would make sense that the avatar, whose origin is based in reincarnation, would be a vegetarian.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: