Sep 20, 2017 05:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: The Waterbending Scroll
10 - 56 (33.7%)
9 - 33 (19.9%)
8 - 34 (20.5%)
7 - 24 (14.5%)
6 - 9 (5.4%)
5 - 4 (2.4%)
4 - 3 (1.8%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 2 (1.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 160

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [109] The Waterbending Scroll  (Read 20355 times)
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #75 on: Dec 10, 2010 04:07 pm »

Great overall episode, no complaints.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
TokkaFan41
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Flameo sir, Flameo.

« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2010 11:28 am »

I liked this episode and Iroh parts were funny too.  Cheesy

Keeper of Chit Sang's "Not me, I'm out. Let's roll baby.", The music played whenever someone said "The runaway" in 307.
---
Pants are an illusion and so is death. : )
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #77 on: Dec 12, 2010 08:54 pm »

I like it too Grin

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #78 on: Dec 13, 2010 12:00 pm »

I always yell at Katara during this episode.  I don't mind that she stole the scroll, but practicing in the middle of the night and exclaiming loudly when she messed up wasn't exactly smart.  Did she think the pirates would just forget about it?  I don't see why the Gaang couldn't have flown a few miles away before setting up camp - that's what I'd do if I had just stolen something valuable from pirates. Roll Eyes 

Other than that (Katara almost always can find some way to get under my skin) I really enjoyed this episode.  I loved all the Iroh and Zuko parts from the beginning when Iroh ordered the ship be steered off course, to the end when Iroh found the lotus tile in his sleeve and Zuko chucked it over the waterfall. Cheesy  Zuko's temper tantrums never cease to crack me up - he's so...Zuko. Cheesy 

Overall, a great episode. Wink  The pirates were a nice touch - not something I would've thought of.

Graphics by Pebs. :3
Keeper of Sozin and Roku's matching beards and the gap in Meng's teeth. <3
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #79 on: Dec 18, 2010 10:25 pm »

This episode was good, but we see how selfish katara can get.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #80 on: Dec 18, 2010 11:51 pm »

^I hated Katara in this episode. Tongue 

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2010 12:01 am »

Me too, i pretty much hate her in most of season three. However, i liked her alot in season two.

Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #82 on: Dec 19, 2010 12:27 am »

I never really liked Katara all that much, so any episode where she's the focus, like The Painted Lady ranks pretty low on my list.  This one was okay because it wasn't all about her.  I loved Iroh telling her it was her fault - I was yelling the same thing the whole way through. Tongue

Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2010 07:14 am »

I never really liked Katara all that much, so any episode where she's the focus, like The Painted Lady ranks pretty low on my list.
Agreed
I loved Iroh telling her it was her fault - I was yelling the same thing the whole way through.
I was on the floor roaring with laughter when iroh said that, but it's the truth everything was her fault.

NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2010 09:25 am »

I liked the pirates! They were sooooooooooooooooooo cool. "ARGGH!" Aye-Yiy, Cap'tn. Why do I love pirates? Simply becasue I saw them in this episode that really showed kick butt pirateness. Katara was annoying, though. It sucks. But anyway, this episode was pretty good action-wise and we got to see some new waterbending. So it's okay.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2010 09:27 am »

^I loved the pirates. Cheesy  I heard some complaints that they didn't fit in with the Asian theme of the show, but I'm pretty sure there were Asian pirates.  Just because they're most often portrayed as more Western doesn't mean they're all European.

I was on the floor roaring with laughter when iroh said that, but it's the truth everything was her fault.

Every problem in this episode could've been avoided if Katara would think before she acts.  Stealing the scroll is one thing, but thinking the pirates would just give up that much gold without even attempting to find her?  

And I'm sure if she confided in Aang about wanting to learn more waterbending and being upset that he was getting it so quickly, he wouldn't have minded her using the scroll - he actually didn't even mind when she didn't tell him.  It was just her pride keeping her from letting Aang help her.  

I find Katara to be blatantly stupid or irrational in lots of episodes Tongue

NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2010 09:28 am »

^ Katara is stupid that way. Reason # 345 as to why she is one of my least favorite characters.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Pants Are An Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

And so is death.

« Reply #87 on: Dec 20, 2010 09:38 am »

^I think Katara may actually be my least favorite character.  A lot of the reasons are illustrated in this episode.  Hopefully Aang can teach her how to loosen up some more post-series. 

gtbird24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by Flame_Fall

« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm »

I think she really grows though. If you watch that episode and then one from the third season you will really see a difference.

Thank you So Much Georgie for the amazing sig!
Mystic_Illusion
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dragon Fire Power!

« Reply #89 on: Mar 31, 2011 08:48 am »

I enjoyed this episode, I guess with Aang already learning Airbending, it was quicker for him to learn the Waterbending moves because he knows how Bending works. XD! But of course it won't, make it easier to learn the all the elements. (As I remember what happens when he learns Earth). XD! It wasn't one of Katara's best episodes, but she goes through a little character development in it, which is always good. XD!

Water, Earth, Fire and Air - Choose your element, choose your destiny...
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #90 on: Jun 11, 2011 03:13 am »

Ep. 108 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Y'know if aint clear yet, I've had a bit of a bias towards JM and you can be forgiven thinking maybe I backed the wrong horse considering the wavering quality they've shown in their early outings.  Fact is, both studios were all over the place in these early eps trying to pin the character designs down and...well...you've seen the screenshots.  But ladies and gentlemen I am pleased to announce we have a winner!

Mr. Aangerson, one of these drawings look good...and one of them does not.

But I'm getting ahead myself aren't I?  I'm making a big hadoo about it, cause this is the episode where it seems JM Studio finally hits its stride.  Truth be told, this is not an episode that really calls for a lot of production, but watching these back to back focusing on what I've been focusing on, there's a definite line in the sand that's been crossed.  The drawings are consistent and the character designs feel solid and set.  In fact, the design is so solid, I almost couldn't find that Korean Supreme Ryu Ki Hyun's work in it.  Then his signature popped up on screen.

The man's trying to weaponize eyebrows.

Like I said though, it's just what it is, a 'character' episode with nothing particularly fancy being called for and the plot don't progress for crap, but it's still an important episode.  While its motives are plainly obvious - namely to humanize Katara - the execution is high grade all the way.  These kind of stories require a deft hand and Avatar delivers.  The behaviors and attitudes on display play out naturally and never ring false.  While I tend to focus more on the production side, the writing team definitely deserves props here.

Not to say the production's lax this ep.  Character moments abound, such as Sokka's putting the pieces together regarding the 'high risk traders' and Iroh's explanation regarding the importance of a lotus tile in a Pai Sho game.  The third act battle is impressive with it's myriad of characters both bending and non and there's some nice effects animation as the boats reach the end of the river.  And y'know...friggin PIRATES dude!

Y'know I'll be honest with ya...I don't know what curios are either.  I don't think anyone does.

It's kinda endemic of the character that most of the Katara-centric eps have been very difficult to discuss at length so far.  I certainly enjoyed this one mind, and it's definitely got more meat on its bone than Imprisoned, but it's still pretty light on things to discuss.  Katara is a well developed character, but that development is down a well-trod path.  It's clear who she is as a person and her role in the story and at no point is that ever really deviated from, so there's not much of interest to elaborate on, and since it's character oriented, production is fairly mundane.  It's a frustrating conundrum to be sure.

Oh and before I forget, a special mention needs to be made for Sokka.  While, it's clearly a Katara-centric ep, the show sneaks in a lot of development for the guy, forshadowing a lot the character traits he would put on display in the next episode without explicitly pointing it out.  The very first scene has him at Appa's reigns instead of Aang.  The show never comments on this at all, but this simple moment establishes Sokka as adaptable and capable.  If it doesn't seem like a big deal, think of it this way:  Imagine someone who can ride a horse when less than a year ago, they didn't know what a horse was.  This ep also establishes him as the voice of reason and it's his quick thinking alone that gets the pirates and Zuko at each others throats, allowing the Gaang to escape.  Really, he's pretty much the hero of the day and you'd never even notice if you weren't paying attention.  That's impressive.

Ep. 110 review.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2011 04:44 am by Ubern00b » Logged

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #91 on: Dec 16, 2011 03:28 pm »

This is one change from the movie that I do understand, changing how they got the waterbending scroll, because of the morally questionable way they got it in the series. Katara and her "high risk trading."
kotor10
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #92 on: Dec 17, 2011 03:32 pm »

Katara did seem very childish, quick-tempered, and selfish during this episode I agree, she showed some of her bad traits in this episdoe, including envy that Aang was getting the waterbending movements faster than she was (hello he is the Avatar), and snapped at him when he was trying to offer her some help. Yeah not a good episode for Katara here, in spite of her "apology" to them and what she said she learned at the end of this episode, its like she didnt fully grasp that she put not only herself, but Sokka and Aang in great danger.
Boosflash
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ozai's Keeper

« Reply #93 on: Dec 17, 2011 05:06 pm »

When katara was going off on toph in the chase, toph should've just showed katara this episode in a flashback. i know it doesnt make any sense, but its true.  Tongue

Keeper of Ozai's Ozainess,
Keeper of The Monkey
Keeper of "Doctor please, I don't think that arm goes in there."
I hope I stole your post.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #94 on: Dec 18, 2011 10:36 am »

When katara was going off on toph in the chase, toph should've just showed katara this episode in a flashback. i know it doesnt make any sense, but its true.  Tongue

True, or in "the Runway" episode, or one of the boys could have mentioned it if they haven't told Toph that story.
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #95 on: Sep 26, 2013 12:18 am »

One of the things I like about ATLA is how quickly and effectively they resolve an issue that in another show would have dragged on and on.  Katara's jealousy here is totally understandable.  When someone else you're trying to teach becomes better than you- I've been there.  It's a bruise to the ego, to be sure.  And yeah it's wrong and jerkish to feel like that, but sometimes you can't help it. 

To Aang's credit, he's nothing but perfectly nice the whole time, even owing his success to her teaching.  And I think this frustrates her even more.But instead of having hersulk and be snippy the whole time, she snaps at him once and is immediately sorry for it, which is nice. 

The pirates were a great addition, and Zuko being there could only make things worse.  As I said for the previous episode, I love it when different groups all converge together, with different agendas, alterantely trying to either cut deals with each other or stab the other guy in the back.  Sokka brilliantly takes advantage of this, stirring up stuff between the pirates and Zuko's men so they could slip away amidst the chaos. 

People say Katara comes off poorly here, and she kind of does, but I think she needed an episode like this.  She's usually shown as the motherly voice of reason, and once in a while you need to see her be irrational and impulsive.  Because everyone is, at some point, and if you could set it up in a way that's believable, then go for it. 
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #96 on: Apr 02, 2016 08:53 pm »

I also loved this episode. Everyone was in top form. Though Iroh was a lot more silly. He's wise and clever, but silly. I like that. Anyway, I don't have much to say, so I'll just gush over the animation. I thought the boat fight at the end was impressive. The character models were top notch and the colors were beautiful. Though I'm a sucker for pine forest.

One thing I really liked is how busy the Avatar world seemed. Although this episode has shades of it in some places, I noticed that the Avatar world is surprisingly empty. Seeing a pier with a bustling harbor was a welcomed change. Plus, it had pirates. I really dug how the show blended eastern and western images of pirates into one. It's a shame they didn't show up again season three when the gang invaded the Fire Nation.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #97 on: Apr 04, 2016 02:38 pm »

I think this is also the episode where Zutara kinda took off. Though I wasn't part of the fandom yet back then.

Man, it's been so long.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #98 on: Apr 04, 2016 02:59 pm »

I still want to know what was in that one guy's bag.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: