Nov 24, 2017 08:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: The Waterbending Scroll
10 - 56 (33.7%)
9 - 33 (19.9%)
8 - 34 (20.5%)
7 - 24 (14.5%)
6 - 9 (5.4%)
5 - 4 (2.4%)
4 - 3 (1.8%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 2 (1.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 160

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [109] The Waterbending Scroll  (Read 20509 times)
Ayala_Atreides
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #50 on: Jun 24, 2009 02:35 pm »

great zutara moment here... Smiley

See, this is what I don't get. I always see Zutarans calling this episode a "great Zutara moment", and I've even seen a few say that this episode was what made them ship Zutara to begin with. But why? I'm not trying to be snarky or passive-aggressive here, I really am genuinely curious. What is the great Zutara moment in this episode? He's pretty cruel to her, in my opinion. He tries to manipulate Katara into betraying a friend by taunting her with her beloved necklace-- the only tangible reminder Katara has left of her deceased mother. How is that romantic?

I'm pretty sure this is the only time in the entire series that Zuko actually laughs. Rather sad when you consider that he's laughing at the misfortune of others.

My fanfic! CAUSE SOME TROUBLE: The adventures of Earth King Kuei. http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=18061.0
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #51 on: Jun 24, 2009 06:05 pm »

I believe it had something to do with Zuko reacting sort of hurt when she accused him of stealing. Or with him 'talking nice' to her, which was a fairly unusual thing for him to do back in the days, even if it was just a ploy to make her talk. There was definately some tension there.

But most of it was just people clinging to straws and re-interpreting things the way they like it, I think. As happens with most shipping, and not only in avatar.

whatzitsname
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

(WARNING: This fan is a 'Kataang' supporter!!!)

« Reply #52 on: Aug 25, 2009 12:45 am »

Wasn't all that impressed with Katara stealing  Cry, but that was offset by the humour of Iroh  Cool. The sound of Zuko's voice when he found out his uncle only changed course for a lotus tile Shocked, and was absolutely cracked up when Iroh revealed the tile was in his sleeve... Zuko's face was just priceless  Grin

whatz:)

Whatz is keeper of:
-'The Track Team' musical score for the Order of the White Lotus' battle in Ba Sing Se
-Toph's rhythimc knock on the airship control room door (Into the Inferno)
-Monk Gyatso's butt-kicking of Aang at Pai Sho
-The singing prairie dog that pops out under Sokka in 'The Library'
Cabbages
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I love you, my dear cabbage...

« Reply #53 on: Aug 31, 2009 07:10 am »

This was one of my favorite episodes, because of the sheer hilarity of Iroh. The "lotus-tile-in-my-sleeve-the-whole-time" had me rolling with laughter, especially when I saw Zuko's reaction. And the 'proverb' was quite funny as well.

...plus, I love pirates...so this episode was a plus for me.
MookieBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hello, Zuko Here

« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2010 10:11 pm »

This isn't my favorite episode. But it's good I guess.

I have mastered the elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes. Now I must do it once again.
melonlord5598
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Mar 27, 2010 06:03 pm »

I learned how to waterbend! not 4 real but i learned tthwe techniques!
got a new laptop so I;m kynda gitten used to it!
Veeri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Mar 28, 2010 12:20 am »

^In that case, you're learning Tai Chi. You can learn quite a lot of that, actually. ^^; It's the water that's the tricky part.
Flame Champion Zhuge
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Eat your own sh*t!

« Reply #57 on: Apr 14, 2010 02:23 am »

haha .. i dont care those sceptical oppinions from those who hates Zuko or simply hates Zutara.

i dont think Zuko really mean bad to her.
he needs to tied her to the tree to prevent her to waterbend then run away.... not to hurt her.
he dont yelled or scream to Katara anyway.
those Zutara haters made me believe that Zuko was being mean to her, until i saw the real episode by my self.
the fact is.... he tries to make Katara understand about why he doing that. once again, as gentle as he could.
and anyone in his potition who GOT BRAIN, MUST tied Katara to the tree.
why?  because that is what someone should do to immobilize a waterbender.
not because Zuko is a bad person who tied an innocent girl to a tree...

plus, in the morning when Aang and Sokka met up with Katara, she is OK.
Zuko is not mean to her. if i were in Zuko's potition, i would slap her or hurt her to make her talk about Aang's where about.
i dont care if she is a girl when its related to war. as long as i could get the information i want.
but as you all see, she remain unharmed.
Zuko is beside her all night long.
so, Zuko mean to Katara in this episode? definetely NO

what happen is just Katara dislike Zuko so much because Zuko act antagonistly to capture Aang.
of course not because Katara loves Aang so she protect Aang that much from Zuko.
but because Katara hates this war. and she desperately need to end the war.
and her hopes, lay to Aang. that's why Katara is protecting Aang.

=======================

btw, love Zuko's laugh in this episode.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010 02:26 am by Flame Champion Zhuge » Logged

"Why am I so bad at being good?"

Iroh : "No... she's crazy. and she needs to go down"
Rhi-Rhi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: Apr 14, 2010 03:34 am »

I'm a Zutara fan myself--seriously, I love the pairing, I ship them, and I was disappointed when they didn't get together because I truly felt they had chemistry. Buuuuut...yeah, this was not a stellar moment for those two. Zuko was cruel to Katara. xD And I see NO romantic tension between those two at ALL in this episode.

He kidnapped Katara, held her hostage, and tried to coerce her (using intimidation and lies) into betraying her friends. "I'll save you from the pirates" was NOT him being chivalrous! xD It was intimidating. No, he didn't hurt her; Zuko's never shown himself to be blatantly cruel or use more force than necessary; he doesn't go out of his way to hurt people. But that doesn't mean he was being nice, or that he wasn't being scary, and Katara had no means of knowing that he wasn't going to hurt her--in fact, it's perfectly reasonable for her to believe he was going to hurt her because hey, this is the same guy that attacked her village and started throwing fire around; what reason does she have to believe that he'd let her go unscathed? And even if you're not physically hurt, it's still a terrifying experience to be kidnapped and held against your will, not knowing what will happen to you. o__O

Just because someone doesn't physically hurt someone doesn't mean they aren't being mean, scary, or emotionally damaging. xD

I worry about anyone who finds that scene remotely romantic, healthy, or a good example of twu wuv because oh good lord it's NOT! I would be scared witless if I were in Katara's position there--and she certainly looked it to me.

I like this episode a lot, though! xD And actually liked Katara's thievery because it added another layer to her character. The good guys in this series are human, have flaws, and make stupid mistakes and do reckless things. That gives them depth. x3 Katara is not all honey and sweetness!
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010 03:39 am by Rhi-Rhi » Logged

Our World is looking for an AANG! Wanna RP him? Click below! 8D
Flame Champion Zhuge
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Eat your own sh*t!

« Reply #59 on: Apr 14, 2010 04:51 am »

kidnaped, hostage, i think it is normal in war.
it is what war is about.

but the treatment is what matter.
unlike what they usualy do to their hostages,
this warring prince dont harm his hostages.

that is why i said he was nice.

"Why am I so bad at being good?"

Iroh : "No... she's crazy. and she needs to go down"
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #60 on: Apr 22, 2010 11:50 pm »

positives:
-Iroh is at his best
-the Cabbage Merchant's return
-Aang finally learns some fancy bendin' moves
-the pirates
-good action sequences

negatives:
-Katara was a little too b****y
-Sokka was a little too naggy
-the beginning of Zutara... Wink

ratings: 9

I don't really have many specific things to say about it, but this is a very solid episode.  This is what a good "filler" episode should be like.

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Aug 23, 2010 06:47 pm »

Ahoy mateys, all hands on the poop deck for some more...Avatar: The Last Airbender!

And...I have to say, I'm surprised by how bad this Episode was slammed on the review page.  I be readin' all this aboot the fight choreography not bein' so good, the pacing bein' off, the buccaneers not bein' interestin', the events in it being almost entirely irrelevant...

So, I'm looking at all that, and I'm like "Really?  I thought it was pretty good!".  As a matter of fact, this Episode was one of my favorites!  Now, if you're gonna look at it in terms of plot development, of course not too much happened, but is that such a problem to begin with?  Does every episode absolutely need to move the story along?  No, and besides that, what it lacked in plot development, I thought it more than made up for with character development, especially with Katara.  Because, I think if we're honest, she was getting dangerously close to being a Mary Sue (a character without any real flaws).  The lassie wasn't quite there, but she was walking the plank if you ask me.  So, seein' what the lassie's like when she's not so shipshape was refreshing to me.

Another thing I'd like to note is that besides the first 5 minutes or so, there wasn't anything to nitpick, and that Sokka seems to have his Sarcastic meter turned up to 11 just for this Episode.  Anyways....

Aang is lookin' like he's havin' a panic attack as he talks with Sokka.  But it's aight, because Katara's gonna try to teach Aang some of the stuff that she knows!  One wonders why they didn't do this earlier, like, say, Episode 4, but, that's cool.  Sokka ain't so down with this though...

"Sokka: Great.  What am I supposed to do?"

Well, you could train, do some pushups and situps, catch up on some of your Kyoshi Warrior techniques, practice some of your strikes, run around to build endurance, gather some grub for...

Aang: You could...clean the gunk out of Appa's toes.

...Ok, that works to.  Why Appa can't use the water to get his own gunk, I don't know (he seems smart enough), but hey, if Sokka says he's willin'...

Speakin' of bein' willin', Zuko again shows us how awesome he can be when he displays what has to be THE most impressive display of patience yet.  Apparently, not only does Iroh not have much interest in capturing Aang, but the scurvy dog is willin' to change course, for no other reason than...well, just listen...

Iroh: Even more urgent.  It seems that I've, ugh...I've lost my lotus tile
Zuko: Lotus tile?
Iroh: For my Pai Cho game.  Most people think the lotus tile insignificant.  But, it is essential for the unusual strategy that I am employing
Zuko: You've changed our course for a stupid lotus tile?!
Iroh: See, you like most people underestimate it's value.  Just give me 10 minutes to check the merchants at the (name I can't understand).  Hopefully, they'll have the lotus tile in stock, and I can get on with my life.
Zuko: (Scream of frustration)
Iroh: I'm glad to have such an understanding nephew!

Iroh, that's puttin' it lightly.  Trust me, I'm a powergamer, and I know what it's like to say, play Diablo II, and lose that really awesome Sigon's Set in Hardcore mode, but here's an idea, USE A DIFFERENT STRATEGY!!  I'll admit that this conversation was funny (if only because of the "get on with my life" line), but it's still...it's still...

Nope, I'm not even going to comment this time.  Hmph, I'm glad this guy wasn't born in our time period.  He'd probably spend all his time playin' World of Warcraft, he would...nyyeeehh!

Still, Iroh must be doing something right if Zuko's willin' to put up with this.  I can't imagine Zuko bein' this tolerant in say, Episode 1 or 2.  Iroh is clearly having a positive impact on him, but, why is it that the show never wants to show Iroh at anything but his most abominably biscuit eating moments?  

But whatever, back to Aang and Katara.  Or rather, Aang making Katara look totally worthless as Katara shows us for the very first time, that there is an unhealthy competitive side to her personality.  I have mixed feelings about that.  On one hand, people like that always irritate me and cause stress to others, but, on the other hand, she was getting to be a little too much like a Mary Sue anyways.  What do ye buckos think?  Savvy?

I'll tell ye what Sokka's thinkin'.  Total exasperation as all their supplies get washed away, and maybe even a bit of frustration at the fact that, rather than Aang usin' that Air Orb of his, and actually retrievin' the supplies with his water bending abilities, he lets em' wash away.  

I would think so, I'd be pretty irritated to if I were Sokka.

I rather enjoyed the next 6 minutes of this.  People say that the Pirates were borin' and not much more than archtypes, but, just what do you guys expect?  Does every villain have to be a unique, bourgeoise rat?  I don't think Zhao is interestin' or unique, but I'm not complainin' about his personality (no, it's his inneffectuality that irritates me).

Besides, I thought the Buccaneer Captain had a certain...charisma about him.  I guess it might just be his voice actor, who I could've sworn was the guy who voiced Captain Ginyu from Dragon Ball Z (but nope, he isn't).

And I mean the awesome, gruff, charismatic Brice Armstrong Captain Ginyu, who sounds cool.  Not the goofy Dave Kelly Captain Ginyu, who sounded like an evil Ernest Tongue

I think I also like the soundtrack that plays for the pirates, as it actually has human voices in them, which I thought made the Corsairs seem a little more intimidating, edgy, and unique.

To top off those minutes, I like how the show doesn't sugar coat the fact that Katara put all them at risk of feedin' the fishes, that pillagin' someones booty was wrong, and that Katara did royally screw up here.  It's not like EPISODE FOUR, in which Aang apparently felt no obligation to defend the Kyoshi Village and give Zuko the ol' heave ho, and never seems to acknowledge that onscreen (although offscreen, I get the feelin' that he did, based on how much more serious he got).

Ye know what the worst part is?  As bad as Episode 4 was about that, that's nothing but a WARM UP, compared to that...other episode...that I saw before starting this thing...that one I've mentioned a few times...in which almost every takes a sudden...I'd rather see Aang's Episode 4 showboating a million times over rather than...

Nah, happy thoughts!  Yo ho ho ho!  Yar watching an episode that's not that episode, happy thoughts!  Let's think of somethin' funny, like...

How hilarious Iroh was in this, the way he acts like a lassie having her first shopping trip, and even imitating a monkey statue as the scene finishes (if you look closely in the background when Zuko asks about Aang's location, you'll see him).  Or, Zuko, after he captures Katara.  I swear, the moment he captures Katara, he utters the absolute funniest thing I've ever heard coming out of his mouth...

Zuko: I'll save you from the pirates!

You ever hear one of those lines in a show, one of them that just strikes you as so bizzare and strange, or otherwise silly, that you spend days just repeating it to yourself, and trying to figure out what the heck that was about?  You know how I said that his attitude in Episode 8 was strange?  Well that's nothing compared to this!  I thought for a long while on this, and finally, I just figured that he must've said that in reaction to Katara screaming in shock at the Pirate attack, to be a sarcastic jerk, but, it just came so completely out of the blue.

I love this conversation to.  I don't know why, maybe it's just his voice acting, or the way he's talking into Katara's ear as he's listin' his demands, or that smile he gets on his face after Katara rebuffs him for the first time, but, it almost looks to me like he's trying to get his mojo working, like he's trying to woo Katara.  Like, he's trying to use his princely charms and wits to hornswaggle the information out of her.

Cor Blimey though, he HAS gotten more patient, hasn't he?  I was really shivering me timbers by how he didn't immediately get mad, or frustrated in the least.  As a matter of fact, it seems like he's relyin' more on wit, and less on brute force as the show goes on, and I found that really interestin' to watch.  He's developing as a character quite nicely.

So, Aang gets captured, and the critics are right in that he does get captured a wee little bit too easily, but you know what?  At least he actually did something this time, UNLIKE EPISODE FOUR, in which he stood around like a lamb as he let himself get captured.  Plus, he had a good reason for not succeeding this time.  If I had broken that net that that corsair had captured me with, I think I would've succumbed to it just as easily as Aang did.  I seriously was not expecting even those shards of rope to be so fast even after losing so much momentum.  Basically, Aang just happened to go up against weaponry he had no familiarity with, was specifically designed to counter his airbending abilities, and suffered for it.

I do dislike Sokka's biscuit eating after Aang got captured though.

Starting up after this was probably my favorite part of the Episode, and what I thought was the very best fight scene in the show, for a lot of reasons.  Firstly, Aang doesn't immediately curbstomp his opponents, which is always nice.  Secondly, for what I think is the very first time in the show, Katara and Sokka were actually vital to winning the fight and escaping from many dark moons in Davy Jones's Locker, from the way Sokka turned the corsairs and Zuko against each other, to the way Katara and Aang had to work together to escape, to the way their constantly saving each others lives, it was all really cool to see.  Besides though, these scallywags just kick a lot of butt, and I could actually buy them being a match for Zuko and his gang.

Zuko and the Pirate Corsair for example.  If you look closely, you can actually see the Captain employin' a very clever strategy.  He's rushing in and giving Zuko as little breathing room as he possibly can, so that Zuko's unable to use his firebending powers to their full extent.  The smoke bombs were really clever as well.

Then, just to finish off a great Episode, Iroh again gets the comeuppance he deserves for causing Zuko so much trouble...or maybe not...I really do wish they'd show Iroh helping Zuko work out his problems onscreen.

I don't care what anyone says, this Episode was great!  It provided some much needed character development to Katara, some subtle character development for Zuko, some of what I thought was the best action in this cartoon, very little to nitpick, and just had some all around great action!  

This episode is definetly A material if you ask me.  Also....

Iroh: Oooooooh!!  This is HAAAANDSOOOME! XD
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2010 02:02 am by Fionordequester » Logged
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #62 on: Aug 23, 2010 07:30 pm »

Yes, I too loved this episode. Probably one of my favorites in Book 1. Good review. I still question why people are hatin' on your review length, as it really isn't that long. Obviously people need to get better attention spans...

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #63 on: Aug 23, 2010 07:43 pm »

Well, to be fair, I could probably stand to be a little less wordy in my reviews.  Although, if people think my written reviews are long...

http://spoonyexperiment.com/movie-reviews/

Though to be fair, he's a lot funnier than I am.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #64 on: Aug 24, 2010 01:00 am »

I think a little bit of the plot summary type stuff can be taken out.  There isn't much in your reviews, but we all know what happens.  You don't have to be so descriptive for that stuff. Tongue

Even after watching the show a million times, I never really noticed how Zuko got progressively more patient earlier on in the series.  He still gets angry and lashes out at people, but he definitely does show more signs of taking Iroh's teachings to heart.  Even if he doesn't know it himself.

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #65 on: Aug 24, 2010 02:05 am »

Glad you enjoyed the episode. It doesn't seem that you had many questions. Just interesting stuff. Please tell me you at least laughed at Iroh's lines, this is probably the funniest we've seen him yet in this show!
And yea, some good character development for Katara, being jealous of Aang, but altogether, definitely a good show.

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
RickW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #66 on: Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am »

Iroh will never use a different strategy. The Lotus is going to become a very very very important subplot in this show, you can't see it now, but without it there would be a massive... oops, can't tell. Would ruin it for you Tongue But trust me, you'll realize you said a ridiculous thing when you'll find out Tongue
Do you know how much i hate i can't answer your questions because it would ruin your viewing? I'm going crazy, lol.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010 10:37 am by RickW » Logged
Azula Always Lies
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

In a zucestuous relationship

« Reply #67 on: Aug 26, 2010 01:32 am »

I'm pretty sure this is the only time in the entire series that Zuko actually laughs. Rather sad when you consider that he's laughing at the misfortune of others.

Naaaw, there's another time...remember that part in "The Headband?" When he kind of snickers (I dunno, I'd say it counts as a laugh) at something Mai says on their picnic?

...yeah, not on topic. But I felt compelled to say something, because that one little snicker is probably the most adorable thing I've ever heard. <3 Gotta love Dante Basco's voice acting.

Check out my fanfics here!
fireflower87
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #68 on: Sep 12, 2010 05:58 pm »

i agree that Uncle Iroh was hilarious in this ep. he wa my favorite part of this episode. kattara got on my nerves but its prolly juss cuz i like aang so much and i wondered uh hello kattara hes the avatar he s made to learn this stuff. the haggling part was funny too, how bout twwooo copper pieces. its just good that kattara ended up learnin the moves in the end. the bitchiness had a positive result
Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #69 on: Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm »

This episode sets up elements of the season finale. Its still decent, from what I can remember. Zuko gets his ass kicked again, but I notice he gets another ship after losing one in this episode.
 Where does it come from?

Carpe diem
imazutaraian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

U lurv my tombstone!

« Reply #70 on: Sep 20, 2010 08:22 am »

My fave thing bout this episode was the fact that it had the first actual only Zutara moment of the whole series... I love Zuko's line in the Zutara capture scene. "I'll save you frm the pirates..."

Iroh- "The lotus Tile was in my sleeve the whole tme!" Loved that! Ihro was soooo funny... "Maybe I should make it a proverb...

Merged. ~SMBH
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010 04:08 pm by SMBH » Logged

The ultimate Zuko fangirl! Smiley :p
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #71 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:25 pm »

This episode was great because It showed scrolls that were used and that sometimes people are theifs lol.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
AvaGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #72 on: Nov 26, 2010 10:17 am »

I'm watching this episode right now, and I realize that I really like it. The interaction between Zuko and Katara is great... and it again shows Sokka's wittiness-- "Just imagine how much the Fire Lord would pay for the Avatar -- You guys would be set for LIFE." --during difficult situations. I enjoy how Katara displays insecurity at the beginning of the episode, probably the first negative feelings she's had towards Aang in the series up to this point. It's a different perspective, because, in the past, Sokka had the most trouble accepting Aang... but in this situation, he clearly sees how Katara is acting irrational, and he sides with Aang. I think this causes a nice dynamic, along with the interaction with the pirates and Zuko's group that causes tension at the end of the episode.

The only thing I don't really like about the episode is the main cause of conflict: how fast Aang learns waterbending. It's like they have this huge big problem-- "I have to learn all four elements before the comet arrives, and I haven't even begun mastering water!" --that gets solved in a snap. Aang doesn't master water in the episode, but he shows his immediate knack for it and it... bothers me, I suppose. After this episode, Aang never really worries about waterbending anymore, even in the North Pole it isn't really an issue, because he knows that he is already so good at it.

Maybe this is done to show how complementary air and water are and such, I dunno. I just wasn't really sure that the problem was solved in the best way it could have. Maybe it's just me. Tongue

Keeper of Sokka & Yue's love.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #73 on: Nov 26, 2010 04:33 pm »

It's not just you.  That's one of the reasons I only gave this an A-
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #74 on: Dec 07, 2010 05:42 pm »

I just watching this last night and I must say; Those pirates were pretty ninja
the way used smoke bombs and snuck up and everyone Roll Eyes

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-