Oct 18, 2017 06:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 66 (44.6%)
9 - 45 (30.4%)
8 - 23 (15.5%)
7 - 7 (4.7%)
6 - 2 (1.4%)
5 - 1 (0.7%)
4 - 1 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.7%)
1 - 2 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 142

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [108] Avatar Roku: Winter Solstice Part 2  (Read 15837 times)
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #50 on: Aug 22, 2010 09:52 pm »

I just read the first half or so, and I'll read the rest later.  I really think you should work on shortening your reviews by the way.  Just a suggestion. Tongue

First of all, I think you're over thinking a lot of things way too much.

Anyways, the trio rides off into the sunset (without any extra supplies, so I guess Katara won that debate)

They just might not have shown them getting supplies...

Again, Iroh tries to talk Zuko out of this, saying that there's nothing he can do if Zuko is captured by the Fire Nation, which leaves me wondering why he didn't feel this way every time Zuko got curbstomped by Aang.

Iroh just meant that even though he's the Firelord's brother and considered an important man in the Fire Nation, he has no power over what happens to Zuko.  Zuko was banished, and his fate if he returns without the Avatar is out of Iroh's hands.

How do people just seem to know that the Avatar is going to be a good guy?  Is there just some clause in play that the Avatar cannot be evil?  Because it seems weird that Iroh was so unconcerned about Zuko getting hurt or something.

It's the Avatar's job to keep balance in the world.  He/she isn't really good or evil.

And of course Iroh is concerned, but that doesn't mean he's going to keep Zuko from trying to capture the Avatar just because he might lose.  He has confidence in him.

So, after Aang and Co. enter the temple, and encounter some Fire Nation, it's here that for the very first time in the episode, I just had to roll my eyes.  Ok, so, consider all that talk from Katara and Sokka on all about how they're gonna kick Fire Nation butt, and how they're not going to let Aang do something so dangerous all by himself.  All that, and what's the very first thing Katara and Sokka do when encountered with opposition? They run.  Yep, no fight, no resistance, no nothing, they just run, and totally ditch Aang.  Listen, I know that Katara and Sokka are kind of out of their league against the firebenders, but, is it really too much to ask that they at least have some kind of game plan for stuff like this?!

They were running out of time...

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #51 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:13 pm »

Iroh just meant that even though he's the Firelord's brother and considered an important man in the Fire Nation, he has no power over what happens to Zuko.  Zuko was banished, and his fate if he returns without the Avatar is out of Iroh's hands.
It's the Avatar's job to keep balance in the world.  He/she isn't really good or evil.  And of course Iroh is concerned, but that doesn't mean he's going to keep Zuko from trying to capture the Avatar just because he might lose.  He has confidence in him.

Well no, what I meant was, it seems really odd to me that he never participates in any of Zuko's fights with Aang, which led me to believe that he's not that concerned about what Aang might do to Zuko.  That's what I meant.

They were running out of time...

Oh...huh, didn't think about that.  Thanks for pointing that out Moosyman!

Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Don't you just love when words work like that? :)

« Reply #52 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:19 pm »

Well no, what I meant was, it seems really odd to me that he never participates in any of Zuko's fights with Aang, which led me to believe that he's not that concerned about what Aang might do to Zuko.  That's what I meant.

It's certainly not that he doesn't care what happens to Zuko,
he simply know that capturing the Avatar is Zuko's fight.
He's just there to teach him how to be able to do that.

And btw, there is a quote function on this forum Fionor. I suggest
you use it, since when you quote using only italics it's pretty hard
to trace back to whoever originally said it. ^_^

^Thanks to LemonLime for the awesome sig! Grin
Keeper of Katara's expression when she first holds Aang*the desperate kiss in Cave of Two Lovers*and Katara's "what are we doing?"
Quote from: iamaang92
Psh, high school is so Zutara
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #53 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:22 pm »

Ah, so it's one of those "character growth" things.  Now see, that's something that I really wish the show had explained at one point or another....like say, Episode 4, with that jokey scene between them.

Like this?
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #54 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm »

Ah, so it's one of those "character growth" things.  Now see, that's something that I really wish the show had explained at one point or another....like say, Episode 4, with that jokey scene between them.

Like this?

Exactly. It's a character growth thing. Once again, The Avatar is Zuko's fight, and his alone.

As for the quote thing, almost ^_^

If you look at the top right corner of everyone's posts,
you can see a 'quote' button which inserts the entire
post it corresponds to into you reply box. You can then
simply erase/delete whatever it is you don't want to
quote and leave in the parts you do. ^_^

Keeper of Katara's expression when she first holds Aang*the desperate kiss in Cave of Two Lovers*and Katara's "what are we doing?"
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #55 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:40 pm »

In addition to what I have said, I feel the need to clarify some things.

About what I said about pacing, I'll be honest, I'm different from the average viewer in that regard.  Personally, I place by far the most value on how interesting the characters are to me, and how many plotholes and nonsensical elements there are in a work, and as a result, I really don't give much of a rip about anything else as long as the characters are interesting, and as long as the show isn't full of plotholes.  As a result, I hardly care about how slow a series is, as long as the Episodes are entertaining, I'm still generally entertained.

This is why I love, say, Dragon Ball Z so much.  That show did have absurd amounts of filler, but, I don't think it bothered me nearly as much as it did others.

And if it seems like I overthink things, I do, I'm not going to try to deny that.  And it's not just T.V. shows, it's in pretty much all aspects of my life in general.  Whenever I watch a T.V. show, I always like to imagine what I would've done if I was put in the same scenario as the characters on the show, and I'm the kind of guy who doesn't take any advantage for granted.  That feminine Kyoshi Warrior uniform?  If I don't have anything better or just as good, I'm putting that on, no questions asked.  I don't care how much of a cross dresser that makes me look, that thing's going ON!

So, I think that's about all I wanted to answer.  I may be forgetting something though.  Does anyone else have anything to add?
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #56 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:45 pm »

With regards to your reviewing style: No

With regards to other stuff: Yes

Did you try the quoting thing yet?
I just want to make sure you're learning Grin

Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #57 on: Aug 22, 2010 10:57 pm »

I have something to add: You said it seemed like Sozin's comet was added to the story that early to hook viewers in. Well, it basically was. You see, at that time, they had only gotten the right to do 13 episodes. So they kinda needed to boost up viewership and such.

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #58 on: Aug 22, 2010 11:08 pm »

With regards to your reviewing style: No

With regards to other stuff: Yes

Did you try the quoting thing yet?
I just want to make sure you're learning Grin

I think I'm learning.  And, what do you mean by "You don't in reviewing, but you do in other stuff?".  Do you mean overthinking, or me being different?

And thank you Oblivion.  It's always strangely satisfying when someone confirms your suspicions.
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #59 on: Aug 22, 2010 11:10 pm »

I think I'm learning.  And, what do you mean by "You don't in reviewing, but you do in other stuff?".  Do you mean overthinking, or me being different?

And thank you Oblivion.  It's always strangely satisfying when someone confirms your suspicions.

There you go! Grin (sorry if I sound condescending at ALL. If I do I apologize -.-)

My "I don't in reviewing" was in response to the end of the post
before where you said "Does anyone else have anything to add?"

Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #60 on: Aug 22, 2010 11:16 pm »

I think I'm learning.  And, what do you mean by "You don't in reviewing, but you do in other stuff?".  Do you mean overthinking, or me being different?

There you go! Grin (sorry if I sound condescending at ALL. If I do I apologize -.-)

My "I don't in reviewing" was in response to the end of the post
before where you said "Does anyone else have anything to add?"

I see.  And don't worry, I don't think you sound condescending.
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #61 on: Aug 22, 2010 11:21 pm »

I see.  And don't worry, I don't think you sound condescending.

yay Grin

Ambrose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #62 on: Sep 13, 2010 12:51 pm »

[IMG]i loved how roku destroyed his own temple just to save gaang and the part he just raise his hand a little all the lava went up my god that was cool!!!

Yeah this was fairly neat. But I guess he also destroyed it since its use is over, and is no longer necessary in those unsacred lands.

Carpe diem
Toph Bei Master
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Huge Avatar:TLA Fan, love the Avatar Universe

« Reply #63 on: Oct 16, 2010 01:52 pm »

This episode was great just like the rest of them. Love the title of the episode too.

The key to earthbending is your stance.
Shi Len
Banned Clone Account
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I like rocks.

« Reply #64 on: Dec 06, 2010 06:04 am »

This episode was nothing short of amazing. We learn about the comet, the corruption of the fire sages, a bit about ozai, get out first look into the fire nation, we get to see roku in person, and you gotta love zhao.

Keeper of: Rebuilt Southern and Northern Water Tribes, The Earth Rumble VII, and Hama\\\'s Prison Cage.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #65 on: Mar 20, 2011 03:58 pm »

I thought this was a great episode, we learn about the comet, aang meets roku, zhao screws people over. Epicness.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #66 on: Mar 20, 2011 11:15 pm »

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. (I felt I made the right choice when I decided to follow the series.)

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #67 on: Jun 09, 2011 05:01 am »

Ep. 107 review.

Ubern00b reviews Avatar: The Last Airbender

Wow!  Double Wow!  Double rainbow wow!  DR, I give ya a lot of flack and lord knows while you will eventually deserve it, here you hit it out of the park!  This episode has some of the best animation in the entire season shy of the finale and the pilot.  They pulled out all the stops and even had moments of actual character animation.  I was genuinely astounded.

The characters are still drawn like ass, but they move well!

The show starts super strong with the blockade running sequence that is absolutely masterful!  Incredibly paced, suspenseful and expertly directed.  This is a first act that I cannot fathom being beaten.  And they made that sky look gooooood

Click the image for a larger luscious view!

The 2nd act is pretty meh.  Not bad, but compared to the beginning, it's just standard fare, but then Aang finally gets in his 3:00 with Roku...and s*** gets real!  Two things to note in particular is 1) the incredibly evocative chanting done during the entire conversation between the two and 2)...Roku is a badass!

CAN YOU DIG IT?

The final act of Ruko bringing down the house is impressive in it's own right, with nice animation flair showing up.  Though I did notice a faux pas in my last viewing where smoke from Fire Nation ships were blowing in the opposite direction from the smoke on the volcanic island:

I think they were just avoiding each other.  I'd heard they'd had a bad break up.

This episode was a surprise, which isn't that surprising ironically if you can believe (or comprehend) it.  Of all the seasons, I remember the first one the least and it's causing some pleasant surprises with few disappointments.  Here, we have a straight up action episode, focused on getting you to and through the plot efficiently and effectively and it does so in with quality I was honestly not anticipating.  It almost has me forgiving DR for season 2...well, not really. Tongue

Ep. 109 review.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011 01:45 am by Ubern00b » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #68 on: Jun 11, 2011 09:44 pm »

I did notice a faux pas in my last viewing where smoke from Fire Nation ships were blowing in the opposite direction from the smoke on the volcanic island:

http://piandao.org/screencaps/ep8/ep8-980.png
I think they were just avoiding each other.  I'd heard they'd had a bad break up.

Ha! Nice observation. I never noticed that.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
AncientScarab
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Regal Beetle

« Reply #69 on: Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm »

2)...Roku is a badass!

CAN YOU DIG IT?

Yes, Roku is super badass - I can dig it. Grin

What'chu talkin' bout Willis?
Hawkflame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Don't cross the Melon Lord

« Reply #70 on: Sep 25, 2013 12:01 am »

Solid episode all around, probably even better than the first part. 

I liked the Indiana Jones-esque high adventure feel that this episode seemed to have.  The ominous temple, the "trick" door that needs to be opened, the daring escape... man it was just a lot of fun. 

Clever plan to open the door- thought up by Katara, this time.  I like it when characters are more clever than I am, as long as their clever plan makes sense, and it does in this case.  I don't think I would have thought to use the burn marks as a ruse to "prove" that Aang made it in. 

I always enjoy it when groups of characters with totally opposite agendas cross paths in crazy situations.  Here you have Zhao and the priests, and Zuko and Iroh all kind of gumming things up for Aang, and he just manages to get out of that by the skin of his teeth and barely squeak through the door...

...which of course leads to the scene withRoku, the comet, and Roku taking over Aang's body and being a total badass.  First time watching this, I *really* wasn't expecting that last part.  Animation in that whole sequence is absolutely gorgeous.

The Comet.  One of the things I love is when a series sets out its big picture plan.  They mark out the end point, and everything else in the series builds to that one event.  My other favorite series, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, did that with the Promised Day, here, it's Sozin's Comet.  What this does is create a sense of, if not urgency then at least dread, for the series, because you know they're working with a definite timetable here.  Even if there's a "filler" episode, you know that there is an end point where crap is eventually going to go down, and I love that. 
ld80061
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #71 on: Jun 02, 2015 01:17 am »

It's been two years since Hawkflame posted, but I'll reply anyways... since, for one thing, I fully support him  Smiley

He hit the major points already: this is just a minor expansion on a few points:

• The mini-mystery on why Commander Zhao let Prince Zuko through is a nice deepener, adding dept and flavour to the episode
    This is definitely an arc episode, as it introduces the threat the Comet has for the world
  • I respect how Iroh tried to hold back Zuko, both for Zuko's own protection and as an implicit attempt to assist the Avatar. Smooth.
    Savitri's review of the episode - on this site, at the Reviews/Reviews for 108 - Avatar Roku (Winter Solstice, Part 2) - notes the excellent use of colour in this episode.
  • Qi Chin's review (same place as Savitri's) reminds us that Roku is part of the enemy empire, yet is definitely on Aang's side. Things aren't as black and white as they seem
  • I have a certain respect for Shyu's loyalty to the Avatar, as opposed to his government. That was definitely an adult decision he made: and like all serious decisions, it comes with a price tag.

Definitely an episode where ATLA shines!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: