Aug 18, 2017 06:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 66 (44.6%)
9 - 45 (30.4%)
8 - 23 (15.5%)
7 - 7 (4.7%)
6 - 2 (1.4%)
5 - 1 (0.7%)
4 - 1 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.7%)
1 - 2 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 142

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [108] Avatar Roku: Winter Solstice Part 2  (Read 15638 times)
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2008 07:30 am »

I liked the fact that Roku saved Zuko too. it's their only interaction so far.

Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The pouty Disillusioned Water Tribe Tot

« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2008 08:59 am »

Did he know something...or did he just think "That boy is tied up...he must be a good guy too"?

It could be interesting if he does actually get to talk to his great-grandpa in a Spirit Worldy kind of way...

The Road Less Travelled Duty
Keeps Zuko's Path to Redemption and "I'm Never Happy"
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2008 12:08 pm »

Did he know something...or did he just think "That boy is tied up...he must be a good guy too"?

It could be interesting if he does actually get to talk to his great-grandpa in a Spirit Worldy kind of way...

I think we might see that in later episodes.
Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Mar 29, 2008 05:14 pm »

Or Roku comes to see Aang and Zuko can see him too because of their connection...and he's standing there with fear filled puppy eyes while the rest of the group looks on confused wondering what the heck he's looking at until Aang notices...

Aang: "You can SEE him?"

Zuko: *nods*

Aang: "Did you reveal yourself to him?"

Roku: "No..."

Aang: "Then how can he see you?"

candycane
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I think...I've become a shipper!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 29, 2008 05:20 pm »

Yeah. Which is why I think Zuko should to the Spirit World! It could shed some light on Iroh's journey there (maybe show flashbacks of Iroh's trip there) and reveal to Aang Zuko's lineage. Plus, Zuko would get to interact with his avatar ancestor.

We definitely need to see the Spirit World again. We are supposed to see Koh again after all.

The many looks of Zuzu
Keeper of:
The nickname Zuzu, Zuko's metamorphosis, Jet's messed up childhood, Sokka's tears
Nandireya
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2008 05:26 pm »

They hinted that we MIGHT see Koh...I don't know if that means we're SUPPOSED to see Koh.  I'd be quite happy not to see Koh again...there are many other characters I'd rather see return than Koh...

duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #31 on: Mar 29, 2008 05:43 pm »

I know I will probably get pelted with rotten tomatoes for this but I really don't think Roku deliberately saved Zuko or anyone else for that matter. All he wanted to do was to help Aang get past the fire nation soldiers and he did it by bringing down the whole temple on top of them and raising forth the magma within.. It was every man for himself after that... If it was not for Appa showing up at the right moment, they would have had been in an even more dangerous situation considering the fact that Aang could not possibly have made his way through the lava since he did not master fire bending till then.. Ya, if he went into the avatar state.. that would be a different question al together.. All I'm saying is that Roku didn't actually harm anyone physically.. just provided a big distraction for Aang to get past Zhao... so Zuko or any other fire nation soldiers were not aimed to be harmed at...

I hope I'm making sense...

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #32 on: Mar 31, 2008 07:32 am »

^ Roku's fire burned the metal chains, but it didn't touch the humans. you need some pretty good aim for that (look at their surprised faces).

Zuko was freed in the same way, and ran (to escape Zhao). so Roku helped him, too.

could be both... or maybe Aang was still a little bit in control and wanted to help Zuko. or (most plausible) the avatar just didn't want to leave people tied up in a collapsing temple, be them good or bad.

Nabanean
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2008 01:39 pm »

^ Roku's fire burned the metal chains, but it didn't touch the humans. you need some pretty good aim for that (look at their surprised faces).

Zuko was freed in the same way, and ran (to escape Zhao). so Roku helped him, too.

could be both... or maybe Aang was still a little bit in control and wanted to help Zuko. or (most plausible) the avatar just didn't want to leave people tied up in a collapsing temple, be them good or bad.

Maybe Roku was all "Hey!  I needz to save mah grand kid yo!" Foreshadowing: it's cool.

"To disagree with three-fourths of the Avatar fandom is one of the first requisites of sanity."

-Nabanean, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by nonamk, resized by me.

« Reply #34 on: Mar 31, 2008 04:37 pm »

Well, Avatar Roku knows that Zuko is his old ex-best friend's Grandson, so I do think that he wanted to help him too.

Also, I think that being an Avatar entails knowing things that most people don't know... So maybe he has already seen the future and Roku knows that Zuko and Aang are going to end up working together, to restore Peace to all the Nations.

ULG,KLF

Sig by me. Brushes by Stephanie. my dA
I keep Kakashi's Anbu mask. Kakashi's sword & sweet lips.
Ahrenil
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2008 02:44 pm »

That or Roku just though "I need to burn those chains" so he set his fire to chainy burn level. And so burnt all the chains. Without having given Zuko any thought. I mean that wave of fire hurt no one at all.
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Jun 02, 2008 11:10 pm »

That or Roku just though "I need to burn those chains" so he set his fire to chainy burn level. And so burnt all the chains. Without having given Zuko any thought. I mean that wave of fire hurt no one at all.

I wonder how he did it though. I know that he'a the Avatar, but when it all comes down to it, Roku is a master fire bender. I wonder if other master fire benders could do this.
legory
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Blarg

« Reply #37 on: Jun 02, 2008 11:20 pm »

On wikipedia it says avatar leveled firebenders can bend lava. We realize it's earth, but Avatar doesn't follow science does it? Wink

Click me. Now. Do it. Georgie endorsed. Cookies are offered as gratitude.

|| Welcome to |P|L|A|S|T|I|C|-|B|E|A|C|H| ||
The sig is of The Gorillaz!
PseudoEthnic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jun 02, 2008 11:30 pm »

On wikipedia it says avatar leveled firebenders can bend lava. We realize it's earth, but Avatar doesn't follow science does it? Wink

Well, technically, the lava has heat in it. Since fire benders bend heat, they can bend lava. It just won't be steady.
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2008 07:44 pm »

One of the things I love most about this show is the consistent Edgar Allen Poe-esque attention to mood.  Perhaps the most obvious way Poe manifests himself in the Avatar is in the use of color to create and sustain a mood.  Avatar Roku: Winter Solstice Part 2 is a particularly fantastic example of this usage.  Every sequence that takes place in the Fire Temple is made of layer upon layer of shades of red.  The rocks are red, both the sea and sky are red from the setting sun, the Temple is red - inside and out, the Fire Sages are dressed in red, there is red magma everywhere, even Sokka, Katara and Aang take on a reddish hue as the episode unfurls.  Everywhere your eye rests in the Fire Temple sequences, there is the color red.  Red tends translate into a signal of danger, a warning, a conflict, an obstacle.  This backdrop of red heightens the tension we are already experienceing as Aang races to get to the Sanctuary before the sun sets.  That is, however, not the only source of strife in the episode.  We also end up smack in the middle of Zuko's conflict with Zhao, Zhao's conflict with the Avatar, Shyu's conflict with the Fire Sages and the Fire Lord's conflict with, well, everyone. 

The use of contrasts in color to signal a change in mood becomes readily apparent when Aang and Roku meet in the Spirit World.  Suddenly, no more red.  Those sequences are done in shades of gold - a welcome respot from the red onslaught of previous scenes.  Aang and his past life greet each other in a calm and quiet oasis away from the mayhem ensuing in the Fire Temple.  And despite the serious nature of their discussion, both of them manage to exude an air of peace.  (I have noticed that those same shades of gold seem to appear frequently in connection with the Spirit World.  We saw them again in the Spirit World sequence from the premiere episode of Season 2.) 

But perhaps the most brilliant change of color comes at the very end of the episode.  Aang/Roku has destroyed the Fire Temple.  The volcano on which the temple sat is erupting, the sun is fully setting in a blaze of crimson, the bay, full of Zhao's ships, has turned red.  We see Appa flying away from the eruption and destruction, the camera follows him high into the sky.  Now, the predominant color is blue.....the early twilight shades of blue that quickly fade into midnight.  And, in the background is the bright white full moon.  The entire scene is bathed in calm colors, blue and white.  Appa is flying ahead, steady as he goes, tail rising and falling rhythmically.  And as Aang begins to feel the weight of Roku's revelations, Katara, Sokka and Momo gather around him to give him support and keep him safe.  I could feel an almost audible sigh of relief and release rising as I watched the very peaceful end to an other wise conflict driven, fraught with obstacles, tense episode.

Perhaps, just perhaps, were he around today, the author of The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum would tip his hat to the creators of Avatar.   Wink

What a great post.  Thanks. 

I agree that the use of colour is fantastic in this episode.  You express that so well. 

Avatar Roku is a pretty action packed and exciting episode.  Appa dodging all those fireballs and then Aang getting into the fray was great.
Zuko is sure hell bent on capturing the avatar, even risking capture by the fire nation blockade of ships.

The fire nation temple was beautiful.  Interesting to see fire nation sages guarding it but working for Ozai instead of protecting the avatar.
Also enjoyed seeing the same kind of lock on the door as in the other temple(western air temple?Huh)...except this one opened with fire bending, of course.

Roku's put the pressure on Aang.  Poor little guy.  He's got such a load to carry.  Now he's got a deadline, the arrival of Sozin's comment at the end of summer. 

Roku merging with Aang and destroying the temple was Wow. 

Glad General Zhoa(sp?) got screwed again.
Gye Byrd
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Sep 25, 2008 07:13 pm »

Now the second part of this episode shall be torn apart and put together again.

Aang's got some nice friends. How often you get friends that'll go into danger willingly with you?

I like the continuity here when Zuko goes into that village Aang just left and Iroh is still naked. Looks like Zuko still has his priority of capturing the Avatar, after all.

That action scene where they avoid all those fireballs gives me goosebumps every time I see it. It was so well designed and the animation was simply brilliant. It makes me wonder, though. Why is Zhao in that blockade in the first place? Doesn't he have better things to do than to go out on patrol? Oh well, who cares. That scene where that last fireball was shot at Appa and Aang kicked it was great. It looked like he acted on instinct, then came back to his senses when his job was done and realized that he was gonna fall or something.

Sokka's idea of using explosives for fake firebending was so ingenious. When does this guy fail to come up with a good idea? Although it failed, you can't help but admire his brains.

Uh oh, Zhao came. Zuko really thought that smoke screen would work, didn't he? Seriously, who didn't see that coming?

That was a beautiful scene when Roku took over Aang's body and freed Katara, Sokka, Shyu, and even Zuko and then destroyed the temple. Watching the fire hurt only the bad guys and free the chained people tells you you better not mess with somebody who can control the elements that well.

The ending was very well done. I love that music they do at the end of most of the episodes that have happy endings. It's so serene and calming. Seeing Katara and Sokka and Momo coming over to comfort Aang made me smile. I remember the first time I saw this episode I thought she was kissing him. I was shocked. I know she said she couldn't live without him, but why she gotta move so fast? The second time I watched it I realized she was only hugging him. I was relieved. I didn't wanna see another fast girl in this show. *coughYueSukiAzulacough*

I give this episode a 10.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

thank god

« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2008 08:41 pm »

1) When Zuko shoved the Friendly Village Leader to the door, Iroh is naked, which is a nice nod of continuation. I wish I could say the same to the moon. :/

2) I love Appa vs Zhao's blockade. Very exciting and action packed with poor Zuko getting shot in the sidelines. Also... did Zuko flung flaming dung at them?

3) Shayu, the first Fire Nation who helped them. Poor guy, especially when Zhao told them the dire consequences he hinted when he and his peers meet Ozai. It was apparently permanent, we never get to see him again.

4) The only on-screen time of lavabending that is not a flashback. I love it.
Zuko: Great Grandpa?
Roku: *sweatdrop*

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 09:48 pm by Avatar Yuffie » Logged

Be one with Mother Russia? Y/Y/tomatoes

iKeep: Love Amongst the Dragons; Zuko's obsession with Aang; Zuko's inner fire
jsheth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Till All Are One!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2008 09:52 pm »

Did u guys notice the Lion Turtle chanting
cool

credit to arasam22for the sig
CherryRose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2008 09:54 pm »

^ there was? I didn't notice? Which part was it in?
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

thank god

« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2008 09:56 pm »

When Zhao was shouting "When the door opens, unleash all your firebending!"

I think its just... coincidence. Kind of like how June in the finale has that music from The Headband.

Be one with Mother Russia? Y/Y/tomatoes

iKeep: Love Amongst the Dragons; Zuko's obsession with Aang; Zuko's inner fire
CherryRose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Nov 18, 2008 03:11 pm »

^ Oh yeah! Cheesy Thanks, now I remember.
Mooseboy018
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Good morning."

« Reply #46 on: Apr 22, 2010 01:39 am »

positives:
-finally laying out the overall plot of the series
-finally seeing Roku
-epic fireball dodging at the blockade
-focusing on Aang and Avatar-ish things
-a quick history of the war/Roku backstory (a bit)
-Zhao's return
-great interactions between Zuko and Iroh on the ship
-one of Sokka's first "idea guy" moments
-one last shot of Naked Iroh Time (I just noticed it for the first time after seeing this episode 1000000 times Cheesy)

negatives:
-some of the dialogue wasn't so great (especially the leader of the Fire Sages, and Katara's "and neither can I" line)
-Katara is a little annoying
-the traveling time was a bit unbelievable

rating: 9.5

I don't know why I didn't give it a 10.  I guess it's just not really worthy of a 10, even though there isn't much for me to complain about.  There are probably a few other things for the "negative" section, but I honestly can't think of anything worth noting right now.

my Last Airbender comics
keeper of: Koh's creepy voice, his laugh, and his three minutes of screen-time.
Fionordequester
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Aug 22, 2010 09:27 pm »

Half a league, half a league,
 Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
 Rode the Aang and Zuko.
"Forward, through the blockade!
"Charge for the Avatar!" Zuko said:
Into the valley of Death
 Rode the hunter and hunted.

"Forward, through the blockade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the prince knew
 Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do or die:
Into the valley of Death

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
 Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell

Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Engaging the ballistacians there,
Charging an army, while
 All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
 Zuko and Aang
Reel'd from the catapult blast
 Shatter'd and sunder'd.
 Rode the hunter and hunted

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
 Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While Momo and Sokka fell,
They that had done so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell.
 Rode the hunter and hunted

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
 All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor Aang and Zuko,
 Noble hero and anti-hero on....

So yeah, as what I have posted above suggests, I was expecting this to be an extremely action packed episode, and I'm still undecided on whether or not it was.  And, having considered it, I guess it was, though I certainly wasn't expecting the large break in the action in the middle of the episode. 

Which, leads me into my opinion on the episode.  Normally, I save this for the end, but, I feel compelled to talk about it now.  It's actually a rather strange one for me, as there are things about it that bother me, but, what caused me to complain is almost all stuff that was subtle, easily missable, and aside from one, don't matter much at all.  Then, I rewatched the episode, and found out that by paying very close attention, that one of the things I complained about was in fact justified.  It was also an exciting episode with some

First of all, I actually liked the fact that Aang tried to go off without his friends, both because it shows him developing further into a responsible hero, and because quite frankly, whenever his friends are involved in his fights, they slow him down MUCH more frequently than they ever help him out (in combat anyways).  Heck, basically the whole plot of Episode 7 was Aang trying desperately to rescue Sokka after Sokka royally screwed up by trying to help him with Heibai.  I guess I was also kind of hoping that this would be a really gripping episode, in which we got to see how Aang acted when he was alone, inside the very Nation that wants his head on a pike.

But, nope.  Katara and Sokka both convince Aang to take them along with him, much to my chagrin.  I mean, I'd have been fine if it had been just Sokka (heck, this episode would've been a great opportunity for him to show off his brand, spankin' Kyoshi Warrior stuff!), but, why Katara?!  If they get into a fight, she's just going to be a distraction to both our heroes!  Actually, now that I think of it, what exactly has she done to help out the gang anyways?  The only thing I can think of is calming down Aang in Episode 3, and defeating some inept grunts in Episode 2.  Other than that, the only thing she seems to provide is friendship.

That would be fine, in other circumstances, but not when Aang is headed off to the battlefield!   

Anyways, the trio rides off into the sunset (without any extra supplies, so I guess Katara won that debate), when suddenly, after what's presumably a few more hours, Zuko and Iroh show up to interrogate a random villager.  Zuko is kind of taking up most of the camera, but if you look closely at the background, you see Iroh on a Rhino (and, hilariously enough, STILL without proper clothing).

Anyways, the way this interrogation carried out bothered me for some weird reason.  It's just, the way Zuko went about it seems radically different from the way he did it twice before.  Both times before was basically a shock and awe scare tactic, with his entire crew showing up to intimidate the villagers.  This time though, he's...almost entirely alone.  Where'd his escorts go?  Just to add on to that, it almost looks like Zuko's plan just relied on some random guy just happening to have insomnia and just standing there for him to walk out.  It also seemed strange that he knocked the guy to the ground before asking him where the Avatar was.  Actually, it was kind of funny.

But whatever.  Just funny little things that I notice for whatever reason.  I'm weird like that.
I like the music that starts off at the beginning of that "Light Brigade" scene I put at the top
of this post.  It sounds kind of like a much slower version of this song from Mega Man Legends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiqok0-cVWs

I thought it did anyways.  It sounded cool either way.  Anyways, after a pep conversation between Aang and Co., we see Zuko and Iroh, and I'm glad that Iroh actually seems worried and serious for once.  He's actually acting like a soldier and guardian!  Yeah, sure, he joked about how much Zuko's boulder stank, but that was just clever wit, from what I can tell.

Speaking of boulders, what were with those weird faces Aang was making right before he spotted the blockade?  He looks like a fly flew up his nose, and he's trying not to sneeze.

Again, Iroh tries to talk Zuko out of this, saying that there's nothing he can do if Zuko is
captured by the Fire Nation, which leaves me wondering why he didn't feel this way every time Zuko got curbstomped by Aang.  Actually, that brings up an interesting question.  How do people just seem to know that the Avatar is going to be a good guy?  Is there just some clause in play that the Avatar cannot be evil?  Because it seems weird that Iroh was so unconcerned about Zuko getting hurt or something. 

I do like Zuko's reaction to this.  He just bull charges in, but the way he closes his eyes and
apologizes right before that was pretty sweet I think.  It showed that despite his insistence
that his father will understand, he's nowhere near as he's making out to be, and is also
developing a deeper bond with his Uncle, since he's apologizing and all.

After that, we switch to Zhao, and even though I give him a lot of flak for sucking more than a liposuction pump, he really does have a great voice actor.  What's also great, is pretty much the whole next minute and a half, which also has the great fortune of being accompanied by a very exciting and adrenaline packed song.  I like how it fits in with everything going on without ever needing to drastically change tempo or feel. 

I love Bruce Faulconer's soundtrack for DBZ probably a lot more than almost any other Anime soundtrack, but it did sometimes suffer a bit from trying to adapt to every little thing onscreen, and abrubtly changing in tempo and sound in order to do that (for those who get turned off from his music by watching it on Youtube, listen to it by watching the actual English dub instead.  Some of his music makes A LOT more sense when you see the scenes they were supposed to accompany).

Still, I do wonder why Zhao is now suddenly referring to Zuko as a traitor.  I mean, yeah, Zuko tried to hide the Avatar from the Fire Nation, but even after that, Zhao never made any effort to treat Zuko like it, even after he found out about it, and even after Zuko proceeded to humiliate him in combat so...hmmm.  I guess Zuko must've done something profoundly effed up after Episode 3 that we never saw (well, besides how he almost leveled the Kyoshi homeland, but hey, THEY attacked HIS troop!)

Anyways, after Aang gets by, and after Zhao lets Zuko pass so he can follow him, even though he just saw the direction that Aang flew off in, and as far as he knows, Zuko shouldn't have any better idea about where Aang is going.  Apparently Zhao possesses psychic powers or something, because that's twice now that Zhao's somehow come to conclusions that he shouldn't have been able to come to.

So, after Aang and Co. enter the temple, and encounter some Fire Nation, it's here that for the very first time in the episode, I just had to roll my eyes.  Ok, so, consider all that talk from Katara and Sokka on all about how they're gonna kick Fire Nation butt, and how they're not going to let Aang do something so dangerous all by himself.  All that, and what's the very first thing Katara and Sokka do when encountered with opposition?

They run.  Yep, no fight, no resistance, no nothing, they just run, and totally ditch Aang.  Listen, I know that Katara and Sokka are kind of out of their league against the firebenders, but, is it really too much to ask that they at least have some kind of game plan for stuff like this?! 

Even Katara's excuse is getting weaker and weaker by the day.  I mean, I know she doesn't know any offensive water bending, but at the very least she could've gotten some kind of spear, or sling, or club, or even an axe, something that didn't require lightning fast reflexes or incredible skill and finesse to use.  I mean, I know that the show producers have a kid friendly rating to keep up, so, Sokka or Katara K.O.ing any Firebenders with weapons designed to kill probably wouldn't go over too well, but still, it's not like it has to actually work or be shown onscreen. 

It's all very frustrating, because apparently, Avatar is allowed to show corpses to 6-11 year olds, and just look at what the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon got away with, or, the Venture Brothers.  TMNT actually showed decapacitations, and the Venture Brothers had onscreen deaths!

Anyways, Avatar gives the group the proper 1-3 second curbstomping they needed, as usual, before running off to his friends, and running into a dead end as they meet a friendly fire sage, who gives us some character development.  It seems that the Fire Sages were loyal only to the Avatar, but Roku died, and they eagerly awaited the return of the next Avatar.  But, he didn't, and he and the Fire Sages were forced to follow Ozai, presumably because he threatened their families or something.

I found the plan for getting the door open to be very clever actually.  Even when Plan A didn't look, it looked like it worked, and that was the whole trick right there! So, when they hid, the Fire Benders would assume they were inside and open it!  I definetly wouldn't have thought of that!

But, it ultimately fails, as Zuko has sneaked up on Aang, getting both of his hands bound behind his back, and the Fire Nation sages manuever their way out of the locks that the gang trapped them in.

It doesn't last long though, as Aang hops, and he flops, and he not only gets out of Zuko's
armlock, but he actually throws him into the air despite his inferior position...sigh...Basically what this show is telling me is that even when Zuko catches Aang by surprise, even when he literally starts the fight by trapping both of Aang's arm, their fight will still end up becoming a curbstomp battle with Zuko getting thrown through the air literally 10 seconds into the fight.

Just when I thought Zuko just might be becoming a competent villain for Aang...ok Zuko.  I don't know what you've been trying to do for these past few battles, but it's not working.  You need to stop, take your Uncle, and go off on an island somewhere. You need to go there, for about 6 months, spend about 10 hours a day doing nothing but firebending and martial arts with Iroh, every day of the week (well, maybe not every day), do about 100 pushups and situps a day, and drink plenty of juice.  I don't care if you've already spent your whole life preparing for this day, whatever you've been learning, it's either B.S., or you're doing it wrong!!

By the way, two of the things I was going to complain about was how Zuko was all by himself, and how he managed to find the hidden door, but then I found an answer to both things.  First of all, the Fire Sages were in a rush, so they probably didn't close the door behind them.  Secondly, Zuko told Iroh to continue driving the ship to continue trapping Zhao in a wall of smoke, which was something I missed before.  I assumed that they did that until they got on the island, but, this way makes more sense.

Actually, now that I think of it, just about every firebender has kind of sucked so far.  Granted, besides Zuko and Zhao, we've just had a group of old men, and that egotistical Prison Warden, so, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but...still.  It's odd.

Not too much to comment on from there, except, man does Zhao have a mean streak when he's frustrated.  But, that's what the Fire Sages get when they betray the Avatar in favor of mortal men, especially guys like Ozai.  And nice Firebending on behalf of Roku!  He managed to actually melt off Sokka and Katara's chains without burning them in the slightest!

Although, I do have to question the wisdom of how early they revealed Sozah's comet and all that.  Basically, the writers have now confined themselves to absolutely having to finish this story in only a years time, at most.  And this is really early in the story to, so unless the writers have planned this whole thing out from beginning to end, they've left themselves having a much harder time of working in any cool or new ideas they have without having to rush things to fit under the time limitation they've given themselves.

I guess it gives the story a new sense of urgency (which was kind of needed when you realized how easily Aang has been able to evade his captors so far), but, it still doesn't seem wise to do that.

It almost seems like the writer had this and the discovery of the genocide of the Air Temple so early because they wanted a bunch of exciting stuff to happen to get viewers hooked, so that they'd have a better chance of getting more Seasons to finish their story with.  Back in the old days, Ocean edited Dragon Ball Z to get to the exciting stuff right away, so, I started thinking of that when reflecting on this.

I don't know though.  I guess more than all of that, I just love the charm of a nice long cartoon like Samurai Jack, or Dragon Ball Z, in which it's an epic journey where many years pass.  It seems odd that everything happens so quickly here and...

Ah, who am I kidding?  I'm just upset because I know that this show is going to be short and sweet.  Still though, that would've been cool to have Aang end up like, 2-3 years older at the end than at the beginning, instead of him just constantly being the same age though.  But, you can't have everything your way I guess.  What do you guys think?
Zeffphyr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^Don't you just love when words work like that? :)

« Reply #48 on: Aug 22, 2010 09:48 pm »

^ Long post is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

xP

About the whole thing you said of Aang's age.

If the series spanned years instead of months,
I feel like there wouldn't be the same sense of
urgency given by.... >_> *SHUTS UP*

And, where you are in the series, Aang hasn't
even started to learn any of the other elements.
I will say he learns them pretty quickly, so having
the series be years long would simply draw the
whole process out, and have very large time-skips
in between significant episodes, so the series would
have felt considerably slower.

^Thanks to LemonLime for the awesome sig! Grin
Keeper of Katara's expression when she first holds Aang*the desperate kiss in Cave of Two Lovers*and Katara's "what are we doing?"
Quote from: iamaang92
Psh, high school is so Zutara
iamaang92
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Aug 22, 2010 09:48 pm »

Alright, that was the longest one yet. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy the episode more, I loved it when Roku pawns all of Zhao's troops!
Anyways, I'm pretty sure the creators had it in mind from the beginning that Sozin's Comet was going to return in a year. Does it necessarily shorten the show for the viewer? Not exactly. They could have made it 3 years, but at the end, it was still going to be just 61 episodes, so what's the point?
Moving on, the reason Katara and Sokka come along with Aang everywhere is because they are his companions, his friends, and just that. Aang is never going to be a solo bird, like it or not, and there really wouldn't be a point to Sokka and Katara joining the Avatar if they weren't going to accompany him on some of the most important journeys. Believe it or not, he needs them too.
And Zhao considers Zuko a traitor because he's irrational and angry, and wants the Avatar for himself.

LOK and Makorra are great
Keeper of Tho's "No wonder you left", Aang's "It's a compliment!", Katara's "Sugar Queen?" and Ozai's "I have all the power in the world!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: