May 25, 2017 11:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 66 (44.6%)
9 - 45 (30.4%)
8 - 23 (15.5%)
7 - 7 (4.7%)
6 - 2 (1.4%)
5 - 1 (0.7%)
4 - 1 (0.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.7%)
1 - 2 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 142

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [108] Avatar Roku: Winter Solstice Part 2  (Read 15360 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 09:57 am »

Official Description: During the winter solstice, Aang must reach a Fire Nation temple while dodging Prince Zuko, Commander Zhao, and the Fire Sages who guard it.
FoxSpirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

~Soul Reaper~

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2006 10:04 am »

this episode was fantastic! Aang tured into Roku ( aang was in the avatar state) and used incredible fire bending! I wish aang could do that on his own.
Savitri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2006 10:19 pm »

One of the things I love most about this show is the consistent Edgar Allen Poe-esque attention to mood.  Perhaps the most obvious way Poe manifests himself in the Avatar is in the use of color to create and sustain a mood.  Avatar Roku: Winter Solstice Part 2 is a particularly fantastic example of this usage.  Every sequence that takes place in the Fire Temple is made of layer upon layer of shades of red.  The rocks are red, both the sea and sky are red from the setting sun, the Temple is red - inside and out, the Fire Sages are dressed in red, there is red magma everywhere, even Sokka, Katara and Aang take on a reddish hue as the episode unfurls.  Everywhere your eye rests in the Fire Temple sequences, there is the color red.  Red tends translate into a signal of danger, a warning, a conflict, an obstacle.  This backdrop of red heightens the tension we are already experienceing as Aang races to get to the Sanctuary before the sun sets.  That is, however, not the only source of strife in the episode.  We also end up smack in the middle of Zuko's conflict with Zhao, Zhao's conflict with the Avatar, Shyu's conflict with the Fire Sages and the Fire Lord's conflict with, well, everyone. 

The use of contrasts in color to signal a change in mood becomes readily apparent when Aang and Roku meet in the Spirit World.  Suddenly, no more red.  Those sequences are done in shades of gold - a welcome respot from the red onslaught of previous scenes.  Aang and his past life greet each other in a calm and quiet oasis away from the mayhem ensuing in the Fire Temple.  And despite the serious nature of their discussion, both of them manage to exude an air of peace.  (I have noticed that those same shades of gold seem to appear frequently in connection with the Spirit World.  We saw them again in the Spirit World sequence from the premiere episode of Season 2.) 

But perhaps the most brilliant change of color comes at the very end of the episode.  Aang/Roku has destroyed the Fire Temple.  The volcano on which the temple sat is erupting, the sun is fully setting in a blaze of crimson, the bay, full of Zhao's ships, has turned red.  We see Appa flying away from the eruption and destruction, the camera follows him high into the sky.  Now, the predominant color is blue.....the early twilight shades of blue that quickly fade into midnight.  And, in the background is the bright white full moon.  The entire scene is bathed in calm colors, blue and white.  Appa is flying ahead, steady as he goes, tail rising and falling rhythmically.  And as Aang begins to feel the weight of Roku's revelations, Katara, Sokka and Momo gather around him to give him support and keep him safe.  I could feel an almost audible sigh of relief and release rising as I watched the very peaceful end to an other wise conflict driven, fraught with obstacles, tense episode.

Perhaps, just perhaps, were he around today, the author of The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum would tip his hat to the creators of Avatar.   Wink

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here.  I'm mad.  You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
 - Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Unbridled Joy of Flight
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2006 12:28 am »

Savitri, mind if I post this as a review for the episode on the Mainsite?  This is good!

vvv Cheesy vvv
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2006 02:20 pm by Unbridled Joy of Flight » Logged
Savitri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006 10:18 am »

Absolutely!  Post away, my good sir! 

"Oh you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here.  I'm mad.  You're mad."
someone198
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006 09:57 pm »

Confirms two things:
- Zuko is indeed a fanatic, "one who doubles his efforts while losing sight of his goal." He's so obsessed with his mission, he *can't* stop himself, not *won't,* but CAN'T.
- Zuko's delusional about his father's feelings towards him. Every scene of his Episode 9 and down has new meaning once you've seen The Storm.
Angel Of Shadows
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006 06:15 pm »

this is one of my favorite episodes. I was freeking out when Zuko caputered Aang. I was yelling at the TV. My family was ging me the weirdest looks. Anyway......yeah.......umm....... very good episode.

Sig courtsey of Zukofan.

YOU ROCK MY WORLD ZUKOFAN!!!!!! Smiley @)---'--,-
Zukofan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 08:24 am »

HAHAA lol!
Conflicted feelings, eh?  First: "YAY! IT'S ZUKO!" Cheesy
...Then a split second later...: "OH SH*T! Not NOW, Zuko! NOT NOW!!!" Shocked
someone198
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006 08:06 pm »

My Favorite Quote

Iroh: Of all the foolish things you've done in your sixteen years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!
ibec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2006 09:19 am »

I'll post this comment here...jejeje
just a silly comment...I was watching this epi last night and notice that that when momo, katara, sokka and the other sage stop the "bad sages"...the one sage that sokka stops ...sokka stops him by lifting his "skirt"...you can see his underwear that looks like a woman's...jajaja... Cheesy
it just made me laugh when I noticed it yesterday...like I said something silly to post...

Overall....Great Epi...loved how Aang kicked the last fireball Zhao throws at them...I was screaming first time I saw it...and Roku...so funny says "what took you so long..."..jajaja...

oh and Savitri...Great review! Wink

Keeper of Zuko entire Wardrobe, Aang flute, FN War Balloon, Zuko Laughter Cheesy
Savitri
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2006 12:57 pm »

oh and Savitri...Great review! Wink

Thank you so much!  Glad that you enjoyed both the episode and the review.   Cheesy  I transcribed this episode and so spent an absurd number of hours staring at it frame by frame by frame by frame by frame......and I really fell in love with it.  I think it is one of the best put together episodes we have seen thus far.

Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2006 01:14 pm »

I loved this episode. Loved it loved it loved it. Along with all of the other two-or-more-part-episodes out there. (i.e., siege of the north, and.... that's it. Tongue) I WaNT THERE TO BE MOREE!!!!!!

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
peppertree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Orange-kun

akatsuki.evil@hotmail.com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2006 08:00 pm »

This episode was so awesome.
It shows how clever Zuko can be, but also how clever Zhao can be to spoil Zuko's plan.

The part when Zuko put Aang's arms behind his back and Aang kicking him away was very cool.

Whoever made my icons is creative & brilliant.
Jeremiah Gottwald got baked by Kallen... Baked orange...

Visit my Deviantart!! link
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am »

I like the part of the episode when:

Roku: I am a part of you. When you need to talk to me again, you will find a way. (The camera zooms in on Roku's face. He closes his eyes. The scene dissolves to Commander Zhao's ships waiting in the bay outside the Fire Temple.) A great danger awaits you at the temple. (The scene dissolves back to a close up of Roku's face.) I can help you face the threat. (The scene dissolves from a close up of Roku's face to a close up of Aang's face. Dissolve to Commander Zhao and his troops in battle positions outside the sanctuary doors. Dissolve to a close up of Aang's face. The arrow on his head begins to glow.) But only if you are ready.

(Aang opens his eyes. They are glowing. He opens his mouth to speak. His mouth is glowing.)

Aang: I'm ready.

I loved watching that part of the episode! Grin

Tryin to upload a sig here...but I don\'t have a photobucket...
Mikesta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plazamikie@hotmail.com
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2006 10:37 am »

One of my favorite episodes. The blockade was awesome and it had a lot of action. Sokka made me laugh when he said "Well I was talking to Momo".

I was like "WTF" when Zuko had Aang and when Aang became Roku to stop Zhao's threat.

Overall this epsidoe was great 10/10

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2007 12:02 pm »

704 shiny new DVD screenshots are now available for this episode in the DVD screenshot section of the mainsite.
zuko211
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2007 07:21 pm »

The only cool part is when he goes avatar state and Beats the crap out of zuko and all the fire nation ppl Cheesy

Zuko + Aang = Boom?
leech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2007 02:40 pm »

This was the very first episode of "Avatar" that I watched. When I watched it I thought the show was stupid. But after watching some other episodes I loved it, and I liked this episode as well because later on I could understand what's going on:))) (for example, Aang's words " all I can do is airbending" sounded like Chinese to me for the first time^))))

Keeper of:
Mai's "Just take the bear"
Iroh's "The secret ingredient is love"
Zuko's "I have changed"
Sokka's "Please accept this humble and tasty offering! Thank you"
coolcamz18
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007 04:17 am »

man roku is powerful!!!(he is the avatar) i loved how roku destroyed his own temple just to save gaang and the part he just raise his hand a little all the lava went up my god that was cool!!!

Guess who's back?! Wink
well only for a little while.. :'(
I just miss my friends Grin
PicklexDreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvie by frozen!

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007 01:08 pm »

This episode made me jump to my feet. First I was yelling to the gAang to get into the room, then I was yelling at Zuko to not get caught. Then I was just yelling just because! I was overall just going crazy. I loved this episode.
Edgar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2007 04:18 pm »

This was a bit wierd.. did you guys notice that aang went into avatar state by his own will... usually when his friends or he are in trouble or something...
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007 04:36 am by Edgar » Logged
coolcamz18
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2007 04:03 am »

This was a bit wierd.. did u guys notice that anng went into avatar state by his own will... usually when his friends or he are dieng or something...
umm...roku helped him get into the avatar state

Guess who's back?! Wink
well only for a little while.. :'(
I just miss my friends Grin
MaikoRULES
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

flameo sir, flam...e...o

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2007 08:30 pm »

ya, aang didnt really know how to get into the spirit world that early in the show

Ship Maiko + Kataang + Sukka + Foamzula + Smellershot!!!  Long Live Suki

"The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

"Who knocks at the guarded gate?"
"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries."
Enter The Avatar State
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig by KataraTheWaterbender

spenderbomber_7@hotmail.com
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2008 10:24 pm »

This episode certainly confirmed a lot about the Avatar State. Why can't Roku manifest himself in Aang and fight in the war? He would be much better then Aang, (unfortunately)...

Keeping: Sokka's armor, The Avatar State, all Waterbending and all Firebending
azulozai0812
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2008 11:45 pm »

I rated this episode 8/10. Cool Episode.
I like the part when Roku was destroying his temple.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: