Dec 15, 2019 02:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate this episode
10 - 347 (41.1%)
9 - 199 (23.6%)
8 - 173 (20.5%)
7 - 81 (9.6%)
6 - 23 (2.7%)
5 - 12 (1.4%)
4 - 3 (0.4%)
3 - 3 (0.4%)
2 - 1 (0.1%)
1 - 3 (0.4%)
Total Voters: 825

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [313] The Firebending Masters  (Read 135765 times)
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jan 05, 2008 06:35 am »

Short description: ...

Note: This has been posted before the US broadcast since the episode has been broadcast in Canada. Please ONLY post if you've seen the episode. Any posts such as "gee, I'm so jealous I can't see this episode yet!" or placeholder posts will be removed without comment!

The above was copied and pasted from Acastus ~ I opened a discussion thread because the 313 spoiler thread was past 25 pages. Also, do not ask others to send you links to illegally uploaded episodes.

Fire_Nation_Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I' am the fire nation "PRINCE"

D_Castner2007@yahoo.com
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008 06:56 am »

i cant belive that zuko and aang found the last dragons and the sun warriors

It's a long, long way to Ba-Sing-Se, but the girls in the city they look soo prett-ay!!!
Tamer Brad
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008 06:57 am »

I think, aside from DOBS, this was the first truly great episode we've seen out of Book 3. Zuko seemed much more like himself than he did in the last episode, and the bonding with Aang was very believable. We also got some backstory about Iroh and Toph. Great episode. 8/10.
sean_
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Momo FTW

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:15 am »

What can I say, this is a great episode.
I liked the way how Aang and Zuko talked to each other etc. x)  
9/10  Cheesy
Jedi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Go Patriots!!!!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:22 am »

Very good episode, as usual, I'll do my pros and cons.

Pros
Aang FINALLY begins his firebending training.
We learn about dragons.
We see the building that was seen at the comic con.
Aang saying "Monkey feathers!"
Aang saying "Zuko get over hear! I want you to dance with me!"
Seeing the Sun Warriors and Dragons
Hearing about Iroh, and how he helped protect the dragons
"We have no choice but to imprison you here forever. Just Kidding, but seriously, dont tell anyone"

Cons
Once again, no Azula, Iroh, Ty Lee or Mai
Katara still being a b**ch.

I really liked this episode, Zuko is definitly one of my favorite characters. 10/10

"They know he's going to throw the football, and they know he's going to throw it
toward the end zone. And they still cant stop it." - On Tom Brady
link0007
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:33 am »

9/10!!

Seriously, one of the best episodes ever!

Not only did no one see it coming, but it had so much learning in it!
It's what jeong jeong did, but in 10 minutes instead of days.

That dragon dance looks cool too... Should be possible to learn it in RL.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.
Sultry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:37 am »

I thought this episode was 'so-so'. It wasn't bad but not great either. I gave it a 5/10. I liked that we got to see Zuko and Aang bonding but that they didn't magically become 'Best Friend Forever'. And it was cool to learn more about Firebending, dragons and such.

However, I thought a lot of characters were acting in an annoying way. Zuko was being too dorky. I hated the close-up looks at his embarrassed face. Aang was being annoyingly nervous and panic-y. His constant 'Whaa, Whoo' seriously got on my nerves. He sounded like a whiney kid. It was cute in Season 1 but I expect him to act a little more mature now.  Sokka and Katara's sarcasm just came off as mean-spirited in my opinion. We all know Katara hates Zuko's guts but hotdamn woman, do you really need to make it so obvious every chance you get? It's not endearing you to me at all.
I pity Haru, The Duke and Teo. They didn't get any lines this episode and really have been reduced to 'tag-along' status.

There was too little action in this episode to really keep me hooked. It took ages for them to finally SEE 'The Masters' and by that time, I was really hoping to see some cool kickass fight scenes. Nothing.

Also, I though Aang mastered Firebending WAY too easily. At least in 'Bitter Work', we saw Aang practice, fail and eventually succeed in mastering Earthbending. This time, all he did, was hold a flame in his hand (something he already learned from Jeong Jeong) and see some pretty rainbow-coloured flames. I mean, come on!

Anyways, looking forward to the next episode.

Sig made by guitarfreak. Keeper of : Sokka's 'Bad Fire Nation baby', Mai's smile in 'The Awakening',  Tenzin's 'Oh, she tried' and Pabu's balloon belly after eating too many noodle
Kolamity
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:48 am »

Each episode keeps replacing the previous as my favorite of the season. Figures the one centered around my least favorite element would lure me out of lurkerdom, but that's the genius of Avatar for you-- it makes everything awesome!

I have a longer commentary on my LJ with a few screencaps I took, but overall, I adored this episode less for the story and more for everything else. The backgrounds of this episode were nothing short of amazing. I loved all the bits of characterization, especially the glimpse of Toph's past. Sokka was hilarious! The budding friendship between Zuko and Aang! And the adventure that ate up the rest of the episode was just the right mix of homage and original blend.

My only question after watching has to do with the Sun Warriors. Were those red tattoos on their faces, or just makeup/paint?
Mattartist
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008 07:50 am »

I agree fully about Katara and Sokka's mean-spirited joking around.  Maybe it'll take more than one episode of interaction for those two to actually appreciate Zuko.

I loved how Aang got to be the goofy foil for a change.  Zuko seemed more the main character than Aang, even though it was a buddy episode.

And you guys talk about how Aang learned firebending essentially by looking at some swirly colors.  But look at the flashback of Toph!  She was crawling around for about two seconds, and she already knew the kicking earth trick with her feet!  Kids learn fast in the Avatar universe.  Besides, devoting an episode similar to "Bitter Work" would seem a bit dry.  The creators of the series made this to set it apart from the other elements.  Fire, it seems, is the most spiritual of the four elements, or at least in its "true" form, created by the Dragons and the Sun Warriors.

Finally, the interactions between Zuko and Aang were just wonderful to see.  After practically three years of wishing for Zuko to make nice, it is finally paying off.  I was practically expecting Aang to stick up for Zuko at the end concerning the dance.  Oh well, slow on the uptake, I guess.

I think personally that the red stuff on the Sun Warriors were in fact tattoos.  I mean, they're WARRIORS.  Ooh, does this make these guys the first possible allys that can firebend for Aang's final attack on the Fire Nation?  I'm currently making a list....  Cheesy  Go good guy cameo army, away!!!!

Zuko and Aang: Buddies Forever!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 07:53 am by Mattartist » Logged

There have been several things that I've come to acknowledge in Avatar:
Azula always lies,
Maiko can work,
and if M. Night doesn't do his film right he's gonna answer to a right fine Agni Kai with the Avatards, minus the network's kiddy restrictions... Wink
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dude, where's my Appa?

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:10 am »

"Hey you jerks. Do you jerks mind if I watch you do your jerkbending?"

Classic. I'll be back after the ep's finished.

Amazing sig made by frozen!
Keeper of EIP Katara's "My heart is so full of hope that it's making me tearbend!"
Check out my glee fanfiction in the Creative Works forum!
Rao Seng Pu Ting
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aka 'Rasputin': the Mad Monk discovered Buddhism!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:14 am »

Now this is what I wanted to see out of Book 3: a greater appreciation of the principles behind the element of fire. Fire is passion, life, and the energy that burns inside you. It is creative as well as destructive. I also loved how we finally got to meet the dragons of the Avatarverse, and some elucidation as to what happened to them. It also (partly) gives ammunition to my own speculation about them...they're fearsomely intelligent beasts in their own regard, and no one's the master of them except themselves.

A very good, thought-provoking episode, and an excellent start to Zuko and Aang's co-operation with each other. I can't wait to see where this leads.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" - Lao Tzu

Fan-Fiction:

Rao Seng Pu Ting's Book 3: Fire.

His Dream Of Skyland. AU. The Far East, June 1940.
Shreddy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:21 am »

wasnt those dragons of Sozin en Ruko..
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dude, where's my Appa?

« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:31 am »

That was great! I loved the swirling vortex of fire that the dragons made, and the Zuko/Aang bonding.

However, I thought Sokka and Katara were jerks. I liked Toph's story.

I voted nine.

Keeper of EIP Katara's "My heart is so full of hope that it's making me tearbend!"
Eric The Loon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

No one mourns the wicked.

emorgeron@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:34 am »

"Hey you jerks. Do you jerks mind if I watch you do your jerkbending?"

Classic. I'll be back after the ep's finished.
Yeah, well, I didn't get that. Why would he be referring to Aang as a jerk? If anything, Sokka's way more of a jerk than them. His poking of Zuko with the stick was pretty funny, though.

Also, why would Katara allow Aang to go anywhere with Zuko without her accompanying them? Didn't she just make it clear that she doesn't trust Zuko at all?

But, all in all, Zuko and Aang make a great team, so despite some plot holes, this episode was pretty good.

applepot801
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm baaaaack!<3

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:34 am »

I though this episode was really good. I'm so glad that Zuko and the 'Avatar' bonded. I'm think its so funny how Aang said 'I don't care what everyone else says about you, youre pretty smart!' and then when he grabbed Zuko and said "I want you to dance with me!" Then when Zuko said " But now I have a new drive--I have to help you defeat my father and restore balance to the world." When I heard that I juust cracked up!

One bad thing, though, after watching The Western Air Temple we saw a new side to Zuko- a funny, lighter side that I liked a lot more. But in this episode his semi-angry self was back.

A lot of people predict that Zuko will learn how to make a new color of fire, and now I think that we finaly have proof to say that that might happen.

Sokka and Katara I though were a little too mean, but hey if your achenemy joined your group you would pick on him too!
7/10

Avvie, Sig and Art by me!
More of My Artz
I'm a MAIniac!
Darth Tech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:51 am »

No Iroh caused me to be disappointed, but at least he was mentioned... It was a very good episode nonetheless. Discovering the true meaning of firebending, dragons still existing, rainbow-colored fire, and even a little bit of Toph's past. It was cool to see more of Zuko's good side, too, and I like the way how he discovered the meaning behind his bending just by looking at all colorful fire. Life, passion, energy, yet it can cause destruction with just a burst of temper. Now I'm even more confident my prowess would be for firebending, so this episode made me feel a bit better about myself. ^^

Keeper of:
Iroh's glowing appreciation for the world
Suki's Fire Nation outfit
The recapture of Ba Sing Se
The OWL uniforms
Pictomancer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:55 am »

wasnt those dragons of Sozin en Ruko..

Uh... no? Isn't that like asking if the air bison on the mural in the WAT are Appa? Besides, they have different names and we SAW Roku's dragon die.

Anyway, I'll try to post more detailed thougts later, but I would like to point out something (which I'm sure will be ignored and then randomly brought back eight pages from now) - while obviously Incan/Mayan/Aztec-influenced, the idea of a constantly-maintained fire never allowed to go out is from ancient Vedic-based warrior culture. This culture is also where the concept of "Agni" stems from.
carlos1598753
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2008 08:59 am »

The best part was seeing little Toph. Cheesy

lol Jerks. Its the way that people play around. I call my friends b*tches. Loloollolo and they call me another insult back. But we kid.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 09:02 am by carlos1598753 » Logged

Keeper of
*Toph's Runaway wanted poster*
*Aang's baby skin*
*Toph's first earthbended rock*
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dude, where's my Appa?

« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:01 am »

Yeah, well, I didn't get that. Why would he be referring to Aang as a jerk? If anything, Sokka's way more of a jerk than them. His poking of Zuko with the stick was pretty funny, though.

Also, why would Katara allow Aang to go anywhere with Zuko without her accompanying them? Didn't she just make it clear that she doesn't trust Zuko at all?

But, all in all, Zuko and Aang make a great team, so despite some plot holes, this episode was pretty good.

Yeah I totally agree about the Katara thing. I would have liked the idea of her sneaking after them, hiding on Appa somewhere....and following them.

But I guess that would've been inpossible, because Toph would've said something before they leave.

Sokka was strange, why DID he call Aang a jerk? Maybe he was just kidding around.

Storm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A little something to cheer fangirls up...

« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:06 am »

Wow... Now we know why Iroh was called the "Dragon of the West".. but seriously, it was a good episode which I give a 9/10. The WT siblings were jerks...but even though we knew Katara would be, I never expected Sokka to be a jerk. An also, that "reflect the light with your sword to fool the sun stone to think it's the solstice" trick was nic comming from Zuko. And that "Sifu Hotman" was funy...

all in all, a good episode... and worth the wait. (though I wouldn't have mind having it on the 28th)

Due to unforeseen circumstances (platework), I won't be back 'till God knows when... Who knew being an art student would be so hard!
Darth Tech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:13 am »

Also, I though Aang mastered Firebending WAY too easily. At least in 'Bitter Work', we saw Aang practice, fail and eventually succeed in mastering Earthbending. This time, all he did, was hold a flame in his hand (something he already learned from Jeong Jeong) and see some pretty rainbow-coloured flames. I mean, come on!

But Aang learned waterbending just as quickly. o_O I mean, fire is his compliment element anyway, while earth is his opposite (and he even mentions that). It's easy to find an explanation there with just that one reason.

Oh yeah, and he didn't just hold a flame. At the end we saw both him and Zuko shoot fire bursts. It just goes to show he'll get firebending down easily and they can move on with the plot.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2008 09:14 am by Darth Tech » Logged

Keeper of:
The OWL uniforms
Sarrisan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:18 am »

Sokka was strange, why DID he call Aang a jerk? Maybe he was just kidding around.

Thats the impression I got. Just Sokka being Sokka. Firebending has, for the most part of the show, been the main ability of their enemies, and kind of a symbol for the Fire Nation. Sokka, not being disposed towards the Fire Nations, would have to make fun at it somehow, and Jerkbending is just the kind of nonsensical word you would expect him to make up on the spot. By the way he never let his smile slip and "congratulated" himself afterward, I think he was just, well, being Sokka.

As for the rest of the episode, I loved it. I like how Zuko didn't just suddenly change into this comical, serene dude after realizing his destiny. He may be a much cooler guy, but he is still Zuko, and frustration is as much a part of him as goofing-off is for Aang. Maybe when he's Iroh's age he will have complete control over his anger, but until then, he's still human. Also, I like how they continued with the subtle hints that Zuko is near the level of Sokka when it comes to creativity, smarts, and determination.

Speaking of Iroh, I was really hoping to see him this episode (Though I guess time didn't allow them to add anything else). So far, we got one awesome shot of him, all muscled up and ready to kick some serious butt, and then all we get is an off-screen fight with a vague description that he did, in fact, kick some serious butt.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna start getting annoyed if I don't see some Iroh soon...
Darth Tech
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:21 am »

^Completely agreed. With Zuko now realizing his true destiny and figure of power, I always think of him as becoming a future Iroh, living on in his uncle's name.

Keeper of:
The OWL uniforms
ibec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:44 am »

i loved it. dragons, zuko/aang interaction/ traps / sun warrios / everything was great!

and I too would be a b***h if Zuko being the bad guy since season 1 was now "good" and in my team.
remember that even Toph had to butt heads with Katara before being friends....and even now, they still do, never mind with Zuko.

All in all, is looking to be a good next epi in regards with gAang interaction. can't wait to hear Zuko say their actual names Smiley

Keeper of Zuko entire Wardrobe, Aang flute, FN War Balloon, Zuko Laughter Cheesy
Chocolate Bender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I love the Avatar!!!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2008 09:47 am »

Now about Ron and Cho...

I think that in the last battle, they'll help Aang.  Think of it.  The firenation has made them extinct.  The least they can do is help Aang win the war.

Since Aang already has Appa, I think Zuko and Iroh will be riding the dragons.  They have proven themselves worthy right?

This possible scenario is making the final battle all the more interesting!  Good bye Hot Air Balloons!!!
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: